• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

redcrayon

This is what they actually said:
In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May
I'm not sure that the thread title of:
Capcom: Switch support will be determined by sales of USFII

Is entirely representative of that. It just sounds like they are still thinking of what to do on the Switch while also looking at how their latest release does, not that future releases of other games are dependent on it. You could also read it that if USFII tanks then they'll try something else, I certainly wouldn't read it into it that interest in Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter etc is based on interest in USFII, that's a bi of a stretch to base a thread on.

David___

Banned
Capcom games have done well on Nintendo systems. Especially handheld systems.
Which is why I said anything else they do that isn't MonHun is probably gonna use this as a excuse to not bring it over.

The OP says they're gonna see see how to best support the Switch not wheather or not if they're gonna support it

JnFnRu

Capcom to release Switch games in France only.

3JE9Zds.png

I assume the game is in english or you can change the language?
30€ is not bad considering its £35 here....

Nah, Capcom put genuine effort into Wii, even if it was misplaced at times (Chop 'til You Drop, wtf).

Yeah, Zack and Wiki arrived pretty soon after launch (within the first year, if I remember correctly), and there was Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri. Resi 4 Wii Edition was a worthy port too, and they released a few gems on WiiWare.

Nanashrew

Banned
Great example of taking something out of context just to make a - sorry - dumb thread out of it. They don't mean that they won't support the Switch if the game doesn't do well.

The thing they want to analyze with SF II is, if this kind of experience is suited for the Switch audience.
Still not really a great way but a completely other thing then what people here make out of it.

They really should have done more with it =/

It's $40 and it's Street Fighter 2 re-released for the umpteenth time.

Rncewind

"Notes the strict laws in Japan that make giving large pools of prize money at e-sporting events not possible
"

really

i dont get it really, im somewhat involved in the japan esport scene and this is not that big a problem. Here is nice read if you are intressted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/esports/comments/3j7lgo/esports_in_japan_part_1_what_is_and_isnt_an_esport/

The Switch is sold out everywhere and RE7 is on sale for $30 USD on PC two months after its release.

i like how this became a inside meme over night lol

Kouriozan

Thankfully Square Enix didn't do the same for Dragon Quest Heroes, it sold 11k the opening month and would have killed all Square Enix DQ games.

Then why did Capcom support PS4 after Street Fighter V?

Because ps4 wasnt 2 months old when sf v tanked and was and still remains the most popular platform for 3rd party games? Is this a serious question.
In their self flattering narrative where switch has sold wii numbers, have people forgotten that it hasn't actually happened and things could literally go anywhere depending on several factors including one this thread is about?

oti

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily draw the same conclusion as OP. They say they're looking at the sales of their first game for a new platform, that makes sense. Maybe they're thinking about re-releasing older games on Switch, since Capcom re-releases pretty much everything. I'm sure they're also looking at Bomberman sales for that.

Let's also not forget that it was Capcom apparently who asked for more RAM and Nintendo complied.

dracula_x

Great example of taking something out of context just to make a - sorry - dumb thread out of it. They don't mean that they won't support the Switch if the game doesn't do well.

The thing they want to analyze with SF II is, if this kind of experience is suited for the Switch audience.
Still not really a great way but a completely other thing then what people here make out of it.

yep.

In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support ...

Is entirely representative of that. It just sounds like they are still thinking of what to do on the Switch while also looking at how their latest release does, not that future releases of other games are dependent on it. You could also read it that if USFII tanks then they'll try something else.

This is a good point. While it could be indicative of Switch support as a whole, it isn't unreasonable to think that Capcom might be using USFII to determine whether to release more remasters like this. (*cough* Resi 4 *cough*)

taoofjord

Absolutely ridiculous. I want Capcom to support Switch but the USF release is a joke. Seriously overpriced and terrible remastered art.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The thread title is incorrect.

Capcom's using SF2 sales to determine HOW to support Switch, not whether to support Switch, as the title implies.

sinonobu

Banned
I think MH will come even if USF2 sells like 2 copies.

I think this is more like 'how' they will support the platform.

= If this sells well they will release more shovelwares

If they genuinely want to pull this crap, they could have at least five what they did last gen, and port Darkstalkers Resurrection for the same price as it launched for then, and say if it doesn't sell well they won't support Switch and they won't bring back Darkstalkers. They'd kill two birds with one stone there, and they'd at least be releasing a decent game for a sensible price.

LOCK

Yeah Nintendo should just buy the company for its IP and talented developers. Get rid of the administration.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They're already clearing their tracks for when people ask after a few years why Capcom never supported the Switch.

deleted

Wow - this is beyond stupid, even for Capcom!

Would they really not release a Monster Hunter on the Switch because SFII didn't sell well?
I don't really understand their line of thinking. The Disney Afternoon collection would have been PERFECT in timing and price for the Switch for example but instead, we get a 8 year old mediocre port based on a 25 year old game priced extraordinarily high.

But the 'good' thing here is - I can see SFII meet expectations. This should easily sell Bomberman numbers worldwide.
There is a lot of nostalgia towards SFII and the HD Remix from the PS360 era was digital only and not available for Nintendo consoles. I can see people going for the game when they see it in stores. Even if they have hindered the sales potential enormously by pricing it 40$.

And knowing Capcom, they probably expect it to sell 1.5-2m till the end of May.

Edit: Woops, misread! So I guess we'll get more exclusive games if SFII performs well and the standard multiplatform/MH efforts if it fails.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Is entirely representative of that. It just sounds like they are still thinking of what to do on the Switch while also looking at how their latest release does, not that future releases of other games are dependent on it. You could also read it that if USFII tanks then they'll try something else.

Yeah, I believe this is a much better way to read that statement, but it's unfortunate that this thread had to be opened with this kind of hot-takish / click-baitish thread title that jumps to conclusions. OP should've been more faithful to his nickname :)P) before making it.

gogogow

Capcom with their neverending tests on Nintendo systems. Should've ported MHG/MHX. Would've bought it day one, even though I already have the 3DS version. Zero intersest in SF2 HD.

EricB

I own all three SNES Street Fighter II versions on both Wii U and 3DS. Heck, I tripled dipped on Street Fighter X Tekken. Yet this game is a hard sell even to me. If this is going to be Capcom's attitude about the situation, may god have mercy on their souls.

Mokujin

So let's judge our support for Switch based on sales of a crappy fast port of a super old remaster of a 25 year old game that we did for ps360.

OOOOOOK

Piscus

This is a lose-lose situation for consumers no matter which way it goes. If the game does poorly, Capcom will pull support for the Switch, blaming us for the lack of sales. If the game does well, they'll think what they did was okay and continue to bring out underwhelming titles that are overpriced. No matter what we do, we are screwed.

sense

Yeah, I believe this is a much better way to read that statement, but it's unfortunate that this thread had to be opened with this kind of hot-takish / click-baitish thread title that jumps to conclusions. OP should've been more faithful to his nickname :)P) before making it.
The question really is if it means they do not have any titles currently in development for the switch if they are still figuring out the how?

What is so hard about porting MHXX, lazy devs. This company is going under at this rate.

Classic..... right click save as mhxx.switch. Porting from 3ds to switch is most likely not straightforward like Ds to 3ds or PS4 to xb1

I had a good chuckle reading the thread title.

They are so out of touch with the market. Capcom has the IPs and the money to fund some of the best games but they seem to go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot and kill interest in any good IPs they have

RRockman

Banned
The thread title is incorrect.

Capcom's using SF2 sales to determine HOW to support Switch, not whether to support Switch, as the title implies.

But it's still dumb. Why test the waters with really old game when you already ported the engine of a newer entry in the series? Why not just port that newer entry if you insist on testing the water with a fighting game of all things?

ramparter

Banned
Let's charge $40 for a re-re-re-re-release of a 25 year old fighting game that had a similar version on ps3/xbox for $15 nine years ago. If it doesn't well as well as we want, then fuck the Switch.

Fuck off, Capcom.

They never said that. That probably thought that if e can sell a retro game for 40$ then we can sell everything on Switch.

Top Bottom