• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to charge money for continues in Resident Evil Revelations 2?

Tagyhag

I fail to see the problem here.

1. You can still revive at a checkpoint like most games.

2. You can buy those life crystals by just playing the game instead of paying.

3. RE games are piss easy you shouldn't be dying anyway.

Honestly I would say "No developer would be that stupid" but this is Capcom after all...

Edit: Oh, you still get checkpoints. Not as crappy then, but still a bit crappy.

Eolz

Like I said on the other thread: they're not charging for continues. The game saves at checkpoints, and they're charging for an item that allows you to revive right where you died instead of going back to the last checkpoint.

You can also get those items by playing the game.

It's still shitty, but less so.

Oh that's completely different then.
Shitty method, but since checkpoints are still there, nothing really changes.

Mindwipe

Like I said on the other thread: they're not charging for continues. The game saves at checkpoints, and they're charging for an item that allows you to revive right where you died instead of going back to the last checkpoint.

It's avoidable, but still very, very silly.

Would anyone actually pay money for this? Really?

I forget: Did Revelations 1 let you continue mid chapter for free if you die? If so, it's pretty scummy for Capcom to start charging players now but then again if it's just a p2play the game easier then whatever.

BadWolf

In Devil May Cry terms they are selling the yellow orbs.

You can still continue from checkpoints like you could previously as much as you want.

Bruno MB

Capcom, the same company that charges $4.99 for a pack of 15,000 rift crystals for Dragon's Dogma.

Sharing your pawn you can easily get thousands (tens of thousands in late game) of them every day.

Caj814

Best way to sum up Capcom's current situation
yhZp1DQ.gif

ArjanN

It's essentially charging real money for those Gold Souls in Devil May Cry.

it's not super-egregious but what exactly is the justification for demanding extra money in exchange for them?

That's basically what it reminded me of. It's clearly just for tricking the lazy/whales into giving them free money, which I don't really mind as long as it doesn't effect me.

If this is true then honestly, what the fuck? I cant imagine someone at capcom pitching this idea without SOMEONE going "Are you an idiot?"

Just don't pester me with in-game adverts for this crap. I'm fine with ordinary punishment for failure instead of infinite retries on the spot.

Manu

That's basically what it reminded me of. It's clearly just for tricking the lazy/whales into giving them free money, which I don't really mind as long as it doesn't effect me.

Exactly.

Considering it's not a full price game I don't really have a problem with it.

Seik

Banned
This better not be true, I wanted to buy a physical copy but there's no way I'm encouraging this practice in any way if it's true.

It's avoidable, yes, but just the fact that this shit stains the game itself makes the whole thing disgusting.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Doesn't sound too bad, but I'm kind of annoyed that this is an option in the first place. As long as it doesn't bug me to buy this shit in game.

JJD

It will be interesting to see how they space out checkpoints because of this "feature". If Im not mistaken checkpoints were really abundant on RE6 and you never had to play more than 5, 10 minutes to get back to the point that you died.

If checkpoints are more rare than I'll have no doubt Capcom balanced then taking in consideration this pay to continue mechanic. Now that would be really shitty and piss me off.

Faabulous

It's nice to see that everyone trusts capcom not to balance the game in the way they make the most money and then saying it's not so shitty after all.

Ya'll better then me, I can't be that optimistic.

Szadek

Considering that they are apperently removed mid-chapter checkpoints because of this bs,it does.

So yeah,I'm not going to buy this game.
Microtransactions are bad enough in other genres,but in a survival horror game they are just unacceptable.
Nothing ruins the tension more than the knowledge that you can just buy your way to victory.

I fail to see the problem here.

1. You can still revive at a checkpoint like most games.

2. You can buy those life crystals by just playing the game instead of paying.

3. RE games are piss easy you shouldn't be dying anyway.

Exactly. This is for people who completely suck at all games, are lazy and just want to cheese through the game. Not new at all or even shock worthy, it's in almost every EA game.

AHA-Lambda

Exactly. This is for people who completely suck at all games, are lazy and just want to cheese through the game. Not new at all or even shock worthy, it's in almost every EA game.

Or they could plan their checkpoints to the equivalency of Dungeon Keeper.

Even if it's fine it's still scummy as fuck.

Zarovitch

ok, but common charge for ressurection, it's cheap. Just make an easy option where you can ressurect at will.

edit: charging for a god mode is cheap.

BadWolf

ok, but common charge for ressurection, it's cheap. Just make an easy option where you can ressurect at will.

edit: charging for a god mode is cheap.

It makes no difference to you if you were going to play the game normally anyway, what's the issue here?

I never use gold orbs in DMC even though they are there for free.

Faabulous

It makes no difference to you if you were going to play the game normally anyway, what's the issue here?

What if I don't plan to play the game normally? Then what?

You are not the sole human to play video games on the earth. I used a lot of gold orbs in DMC. Am I not worthy of not beign ripped off then?

Video gaming bacame a very shitty hobby.

This really is the only hobby where publishers actively loathe their audience and strive to treat us as badly as possible, and yet the reason they do it is because we still give them a thumbs up while bending over and handing over our money.

Zarovitch

I know, it's just that i find it cheap to charge for that.
Just make an option to activate infinite continue.

I know they want money, but i don't like this kind of business.
I'm not boycotting or anything.

mclem

So they're charging for extra lives?

Alavard

Well, I guess it's not really that different than what SE did with Bravely Default, with those SP potions you could buy with real money.

Having said that though, I don't pay for micro-transactions like this, at least it won't influence me one way or the other toward getting the game.

Pay real money to make games easier and have access to cheat codes

Yay

People defending this are ignoring the bleed in that monetization has on the design process.

Traditionally games are built then handed to marketing. Now they are being mashed together and im not sure how i feel about it.

The track record so far has been less than stellar

finalexit

It seems mobile gaming mechanics are slowly finding their way into console games. I wonder how long it'll be before AAA games are requiring you to wait or pay real $ to continue playing.

SFenton

Arcade gaming is back!

You know, I actually wonder if this would work in a modern environment.
Offer a game for $15, or free- but in the free version, you have to pay 25 cents or 50 cents for every three/five lives or something like that.

Would be an interesting experiment, anyways.

Even with the OP's edit, this is a terrible "convenience" purchase to implement. The main problem with all convenience microtransactions is that they will influence the game's design, in the favour of making money. We need only look to the arcades of olde to see why such monetization schemes are a bad idea.

Categorical rejection of this concept is the only acceptable response.

Zarovitch

You know, I actually wonder if this would work in a modern environment.
Offer a game for $15, or free- but in the free version, you have to pay 25 cents or 50 cents for every three/five lives or something like that.

Would be an interesting experiment, anyways.

At least in arcade they rent you everything to play the game.

ArjanN

It's nice to see that everyone trusts capcom not to balance the game in the way they make the most money and then saying it's not so shitty after all.

Ya'll better then me, I can't be that optimistic.

It's a slippery slope, but it's more that I have faith in myself I won't need the extra checkpoints anyway. :p

Top Bottom