• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's forecast for FY3/17 - Monster Hunter and 2 Major Titles

I'd hope for a new Dead Rising, but a multiformat Dead Rising 5 should sell more than 2m copies imo (actually, what time frame are we thinking this is, is it just over a 3 month period, at most?)

You're forgetting Deep Down, which was leaked as a PS4K-specific launch title by a GAF Insider.

If Deep Down is still coming is it not F2P which wouldn't really be a good call for 2 million sales?

Besides, Capcom are skint and need all the help/funding they can get to make a game, hence the reason an MS funded Dead Rising makes more sense, to me anyway.

Eolz

Way more than 2 millions on a dying handheld platform, that's for sure.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Not really.
MonHun is not about the west, and the best selling games in the west are on 3ds thanks to nintendo actually promoting the games.
I doubt they'd do as much effort if it went multiplatform.

You can hope for Frontier 2 to be good, but why would you?

Yeah yeah buddy we know, Capcom wouldn't be able to use PS2 assets like they've done on the 3DS if they made a Vita or HD MH game. They're finally gonna have to use some newer assets though for the NX, here's hoping the series finally makes its first big jump in over half a decade.

Who talked about Vita?
But yeah, at least NX and next handheld will push them to get new assets. At least they did some great work with the 3ds limitations.

Oersted

Lol apples and oranges

Who knows what the projected porential market is for products they havent pursued

They likely made the right call locally for sure.

I still feel like they miss the boat quite often globally

Videogames are apples and oranges?

We don't know. Neither positively nor negatively. We know Monster Hunter on 3DS paid off, Street Fighter V for PS4/PC did not.

Monster Hunter is getting bigger globally. Don't act like Japan is not relevant, if you don't want to amuse me.

notaskwid

We don't know. Neither positively nor negatively. We know Monster Hunter on 3DS paid off, Street Fighter V for PS4/PC did not.

Monster Hunter is getting bigger globally. Don't act like Japan is not relevant, if you don't want to amuse me.

Yet Monster Hunter Freedom 3 is still the best selling game in the series iirc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Breath of Fire Souls

It is but they have been leaving money on the table for years imo

Global business is risky and scary i guess

cheesekao

MH on 3DS is a success but we will never know if sticking to one platform "paid off" because in the event that it does well on the Vita in addition to the 3DS, that would not be considered "paid off".

DR4 for XB1? What's Vancouver been up to? Only reason I think this might not be true is because Ms still has Undead Labs Class4 that should be out in 2017 I imagine...doubt they are funding two zombie games.

Jawmuncher

DR4 for XB1? What's Vancouver been up to? Only reason I think this might not be true is because Ms still has Undead Labs Class4 that should be out in 2017 I imagine...doubt they are funding two zombie games.

They've been working on something. So they might actually have something for 2017.
I can't recall if it was a new IP or if that got cancelled. Since there was job listings for it ages back.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Resident Evil 7 with modest expectations fits 4 million well.

2 million for Capcom Vancouver seems like the most realistic fit for the other game.

Seijuro

More interested in Major Title 2 than RE7. Hopefully either a new IP or something we haven't seen in a while.

Is this a NEW monster hunter, or the announced Monster Hunter Stories (slated for 2016)?

If it's a new one, we might get a MonHun NX launch title...

MacTag

Banned
Who talked about Vita?
But yeah, at least NX and next handheld will push them to get new assets. At least they did some great work with the 3ds limitations.
Bringing up Vita doesn't make much sense anyway when it's most successful game is literally a PS2 conversion.

The PS2 assets argument never made much sense either when MH3 and MH4 each had entirely new ground up assets made anyway. In fact the game that actually recycled PS2 assets (Frontier) was the one that released across the HD consoles.

TreIII

2 million makes it sound like a DMC title's expectations. But the big question is if all the hinting (and even perhaps all the red herrings) Itsuno, Southworth, Langdon and others have been tossing our way means the game is ready to be unveiled somewhat soon!

Forgot about Undead Labs and Class4. Strike my Dead Rising prediction, might Vancouver be working on a new IP or a multiplat DR?

Neoxon

This part caught my eye.

OC99zld.jpg

Looks like Capcom's staying the course with Street Fighter V's long-term support.

Bringing up Vita doesn't make much sense anyway when it's most successful game is literally a PS2 conversion.

The PS2 assets argument never made much sense either when MH3 and MH4 each had entirely new ground up assets made anyway. In fact the game that actually recycled PS2 assets (Frontier) was the one that released across the HD consoles.

Can we stop

The intent of the argument is obvious. MHX literally performs worse than the game that game before it

3DS is hitting limits even within the current framework

I happily welcome a leap ahead.. Anywhere. Just get off the 3DS train.

Zukkoyaki

I'm going with the consensus that they're Resident Evil 7 and something from Capcom Vancouver; hopefully a new IP or some other Capcom franchise. Itsuno's project, which is almost certainly DMC5, seems a bit early.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Slightly" doesn't really cut it when both MH4 and MH4U (and soon MHX) have sold over 4.1m units.

MHS isn't a mainline title though it's a spinoff with completely different gameplay

MH on 3DS is a success but we will never know if sticking to one platform "paid off" because in the event that it does well on the Vita in addition to the 3DS, that would not be considered "paid off".

It certainly paid off in terms of development costs in comparison to this scenario.

Neoxon

Marvel 4 pls
I doubt that Capcom has the funds to renew the Marvel license right now (a license that has likely skyrocketed in cost within the last few years). And even if they did, Capcom would have to cut every single X-Men & Fantastic Four character (Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Sentinel, Doctor Doom, Deadpool, Super-Skrull, Phoenix, X-23, etc.) as per Marvel's recent ban on those two franchises in games (in short, if you're from either franchise & you're not a Maximoff, you're screwed). Would you really be okay with that?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Can we stop

The intent of the argument is obvious. MHX literally performs worse than the game that game before it

No it didn't where are you getting that from. MHX completely outperforms MH3G in Japan, the difference is in the west where it has not launched yet.

MacTag

Banned
Can we stop

I think it's obvious MH5 will need to move to new hardware. This year though 3DS is still very much a viable marketplace and I think Capcom could still squeeze out a MHXG before the system's completely done this or even next year.

Also you're wrong on successive performances, MHX outsold MH4G in Japan.

cheesekao

It certainly paid off in terms of development costs in comparison to this scenario.
Well duh. Developing for less platforms costs less money.

We don't know how much it would have cost to develop the game on the Vita alongside the 3DS version.

We don't know how much it would have sold on the Vita.

We don't know if the profits from the Vita version will be significant enough to be considered a success.

In the event that the Vita version is a success, then sticking to only the 3ds would not be considered something that's "paid off".

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Unless you can prove your statement, then no.

We don't know how much it would have cost to develop the game on the Vita alongside the 3DS version.

We don't know how much it would have sold on the Vita.

We don't know if the profits from the Vita version will be significant enough to be considered a success.

Development for multplatform games is more expensive than single platform, unless your honestly trying to argue otherwise. I didn't mention anything else for a reason.

I think it's obvious MH5 will need to move to new hardware. This year though 3DS is still very much a viable marketplace and I think Capcom could still squeeze out a MHXG before the system's completely done this or even next year.

Also you're wrong on successive performances, MHX outsold MH4G in Japan.

Ugh thats two of you that misread my post. I need to work on my wording

If the 2Mill game really is from Canadapcom instead of DMC5 I hope it's something new. I actually skipped Dead Rising 3 because it didn't look interesting enough. Could always use new IP.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think a more initially polished Dragon's Dogma potentially could.

Nah not even Capcom is that naive, you don't make predictions out of make believe fairy dust, there already was a DD game it didn't do anywhere near that well during it's intial release and in that timeframe.

I don't think it's too low since it's the target for the fiscal year, not lifetime sales.

They initially projected 7M for RE6. It still shipped nearly 5M - not lifetime, just in the FY in which it launched.

So yeah, 4M for RE7 seems low, though it might just be that it's missing the holidays and launching in Q1 of next year.

Bruno MB

Isn't 4M units an oddly low forecast for mainline RE? Maybe they're trying to set targets lower to avoid another RE6 situation.

For comparison's sake here is their sales target for Resident Evil 5 and 6.

FY3/2009

Resident Evil 5 (Release date March 2009)

Initial target - 2.3 million
Revised target - 3.25 million

Sales - 4.4 million

FY3/2013

Resident Evil 6 (Release date October 2012)

Initial target - 7 million
Revised target - 5 million
Revised target (2) - 4.9 million

Sales - 4.9 million

Top Bottom