• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's gaming output during gen 6 was fucking INSANE

NotLiquid

Gen 6 Capcom was OP for sure.

They don't get enough credit for the first half of Gen 7 though. DMC4 and Resi 5 following up on revered Gen 6 predecessors, Mega Man getting a classic-styled game that capitalized early on the new surge of nostalgia, a brand new Street Fighter and Marvel game after a decade and fucking Bionic Commando being revived.

God damn I miss Bionic Commando.

I just bought Killer7 a couple nights ago and played a bit of the prologue. This is some really mind-blowing stuff. I actually wish more developers used this style of gameplay when making "cinematic" adventures.

Yeah, Capcom was pretty much the perfect storm of lame shit happening. They bled a ton of talented developers for various reasons, arcades started dwindling, the HD console era got too cutthroat, and things in general just got too corporate. It's a real shame. Itsuno and Takumi are still there but it sucks that the latter's AA games don't even get localized anymore.

In a perfect world Capcom would swallow their pride and hire PlatinumGames to do Viewtiful Joe 3 and Okami 2 but that's never happening.

Yup their gen 6 was legendary, they were at their best. They were making groundbreaking games with DMC and RE4. They set standards.

The have never been the same since Mikami and Kamiya left.

I just bought Killer7 a couple nights ago and played a bit of the prologue. This is some really mind-blowing stuff. I actually wish more developers used this style of gameplay when making "cinematic" adventures.
It's Suda's masterpiece.

He's arguably been even more disappointing than Capcom since then.

shaowebb

What did you expect? For titles made for next gen to pump out equally as fast and as memorable even though they take a LOT more time and money to make?

You should weep more for folks snubbing anything less than photorealistic models/animations and puking at the thought of anything less than 1080p and 60fps. Theres the real issue.

NotLiquid

Killer7 completely changed my perception of what's possible with games. A few years later since I first experienced it and my LTTP topic here and I still find myself discovering new things about it.

I have a hard time expecting Suda to ever get the opportunity to make another game like that, let alone any major publisher greenlighting it. It's one of those lightning in a bottle moments.

It still can't compare to their gen 6 stuff.

Gen 4
Street Fighter II
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Demon's Crest
Strider
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Final Fight 1-3

Their gen 4 was waaaay larger, and more important than this. Think it's comparable to gen 6

Parfait

I haven't played a Capcom game since Dragon's Dogma, and before that was Lost Planet 2/Monster Hunter. They just don't output games I want to play anymore, haven't made a Breath of Fire game, I don't care about their fighters as much as since I was a kid, and at this point I'd need to be paid to be convinced to play Monster Hunter on a portable.

God Hand and Okami were some of the best ps2 games period, so they.... destroyed Clover. I think it was about then that I was feeling less happy about Capcom that I had been in years.

Golnei

He's arguably been even more disappointing than Capcom since then.

He's only directed one game since then, to be fair. But it is depressing that he ended up in a position where he wasn't really able to do more, or have as much freedom - hopefully his Switch project is both something he's actually involved with to a significant degree creatively, and a return to form.

Top Bottom