• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Conezays

This is a lovely game and I'm really enjoying it. With that said, just a couple of minor quibbles:

一) I understand the desire to simplify with the zoom button having only one extreme degree of zoom, but for those of us without massive TVs the basic zoom level is a bit too zoomed out. I'd like a middle ground option. It could always be toggled on/off if it could bother people.

Pretty much my only complaint as well. Still, loving the animation, music, and puzzles.

Oxn

Game is out for a couple of days and the post count is only over 300?

Jeez even some obscure Vita titles move faster.

Deku Tree

Does this game have any challenge to it? I found Tempe toad levels in 3dw fun but very easy... Even the final toad level in the end game was really easy.

Vena

Does this game have any challenge to it? I found Tempe toad levels in 3dw fun but very easy... Even the final toad level in the end game was really easy.

Early on? No. Its very easy.

Later? Depends on the person and spatial reasoning skills.

Puzzlers are hard to quantify. I don't find any puzzle game based on geometry very difficult, I don't find this game very difficult either. Some levels have given me pause and the time-attacks can be an actual challenge of execution with deduction. But I also didn't come into this expecting some sort of head-crushing complexity, I came for the adventure. :p

Played through the first chapter in one sitting. This game is just what I need. Toad's running animation is adorable. Clever level design as expected from EAD Tokyo. I'm not really sure what the point of playing through some of the levels from 3D World with Captain Toad is... They weren't built for Captain Toad's mechanics at all.

Daughters are playing it now while I assemble the new PC (booted first time, huzzah).

- "So how is the game so far?" "It's either too easy or too hard."
- "What about how it looks and the music?" "It's... pretty awesome."

As someone watch it I find the amount of time my eldest is spending looking at the game pad pretty odd, somehow the player not looking at the same visual as the observers disconnects the game experience in a way I haven't seen much before in the Wii U titles.

Just played two levels, three starred both first time, didn't get the bonus objective on either. Very cute and nice little bite sized segments early on. I love seeing all the SMB2/Doki Doki Panic characters and elements, SMB2 was a very big game for me as a kid.

Looking forward to playing more in the coming week, if I can tear myself away from Warlords of Draenor.

Malus

They're definitely trickier than 3D World but you won't find yourself unable to progress. The fact that I've finished it and plan to 100% it must mean it's very easy for a puzzle game lol. I was crushed by Pushmo. Really though Captain Toad is more platformer than puzzler. It's all about navigating the terrain of moving/falling platforms filled with enemies and collectibles.

I also must reiterate that I don't understand where the control problems are coming from. I can count on one hand the amount of times I noticed the gyro and it never caused me to die or fall or any significant inconvenience. Just keep your hands fairly steady like you would in any game, and in the screen tapping sections it's probably best to look at the gamepad more often than not.

It's sad how inactive this thread is, :(

maxcriden

They're definitely trickier than 3D World but you won't find yourself unable to progress. The fact that I've finished it and plan to 100% it must mean it's very easy for a puzzle game lol. I was crushed by Pushmo.

Pushmo can get obscenely hard. Some of the puzzles in Pushmo World utterly destroyed me, haha.

DAT IMAGE QUALITY

Seriously though, anyone else really impressed by the visuals here? On my plasma, its like playing a pre render.

It's incredibly smooth on our 46" LCD. I mean, Nintendo games are normally polished, but they've spent the spare horsepower to animate a lot of little things I wouldn't have expected.

My daughters (9 and 11) have been taking turns since last night. Think they're about ready to proclaim it their GOTY.

fernoca

Visuals are damn impressive.
Gyro camera is weird at first, but once you take control of the game (analogs) is no biggie.

The option to turn it off should be patched. It doesn't make sense to even use it as puzzles get more complicated and start using the touchscreen.

Lovely game. Enjoyed this sidegames in 3D World, so this was a no brainer. It also makes me itch for more 3D World.

Only in Chapter 2, but I already want a DLC pack of nothing but more cart riding levels.

I have been stumped for a few seconds on a couple of puzzles before feeling like a dumbass when I figured it out. Sure some of the "Dark Souls" hardcore people will shun this game because the difficulty isn't very high, ala Kirby Epic Yarn. Just like with that game, if I'm having fun, I couldn't care less about the difficulty.

Camjo-Z

Finally beat the game! Well, except for the challenge times in Episode 2 & 3, and... the final level...
5000 coins? 50 floors? Are they serious? This is some Champion's Road-type stuff right here...

I think the spinning might be a culprit for sure. Try spinning less, playing zoomed-in if possible (that helps me I think at times) in certain levels, and I know that in one level where we briefly
went upside-down
that that definitely was more dizzying and headache-inducing for us.

Yeah,
going upside down
wasn't fun. I'll definitely try your tips.

Click Captain Toad the see the whole gallery:

Thanks!

RetroGreg

I got to level 7 and had to go lay down because I had the worst headache. I think I was moving the camera too much. I think I'm going to have to take this one slow and only play a couple levels a day.

Got my copy today, and I'm liking it so far. Just finished level 10, it's a bit on the easy side, but by the looks of the post here it picks up later. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the gyro controls, pretty trash, so I just use the analogs. Definitely glad I purchased it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm 50% through the game after one evening of play, 100%ing levels as I go. I've died exactly once and rarely need to play any stage more than twice (and only twice because the extra objectives aren't stated on a first play).

I'm enjoying it plenty, but this is looking like a prime candidate for the re-sell pile at the end of the day.

I also must reiterate that I don't understand where the control problems are coming from.
It's easy to get frustrated at Nintendo's insistence on fixing shit that isn't broken for no tangible benefit. If you play upright on the couch, the gyro controls aren't an issue. If you want to utilize off-TV play in bed, well, you can't fucking move around at all lest you screw up your aim on the mine cart stages.

Blowing to move platforms wasn't fun when it was introduced on the Nintendo DS nearly a decade ago. It's not fun in Treasure Tracker. It's never going to be fun. There are at least half a dozen redundant buttons on the controller; one of them could have been mapped to this instead and nothing of value would have been lost.

A bunch of nonsense shoehorned into the game in order to utilize the Gamepad, when it's easy to argue that the experience would be as good or better if I could use anything else. I don't mean to come off too harshly. I knew exactly what I was getting into and am enjoying the game all the same. It's just really easy to complain about these little things because they could be so obviously solved.

Kinsei

Banned
I completed the second book! The challenge time on Double Cherry Palace was really tough to get.

Chapter 2 Stage 11

Where the fuck is the Golden Mushroom?

After you get off the stairs on the same level as the spike and the star turn right. The golden mushroom is down that path.

Jennings

I've only had time to complete 2 or 3 maps. I didn't realize there was combat in this game until I saw the "Defeat all Enemies" victory condition. Now I'm gonna have to go back and see about raising my coin score.

So far it's a fun game, and I look forward to the added challenge of later levels.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Pushmo can get obscenely hard. Some of the puzzles in Pushmo World utterly destroyed me, haha.
image.php

Sorry, I'm rather grumpy right now, PAL and all.
True story: I spent a week on one of the PW high-numbered puzzles, had the toughest of blocks. Of course, once you realize the solution you feel utterly dumb for your former self.

Deku Tree

I'm 50% through the game after one evening of play, 100%ing levels as I go. I've died exactly once and rarely need to play any stage more than twice (and only twice because the extra objectives aren't stated on a first play).

I'm enjoying it plenty, but this is looking like a prime candidate for the re-sell pile at the end of the day.

That's what I was worried about… Not sure if it's worth $40 to me.

Finally beat the game! Well, except for the challenge times in Episode 2 & 3, and... the final level...
5000 coins? 50 floors? Are they serious? This is some Champion's Road-type stuff right here...

Wait, Challenge Times? Those aren't the times I took?
Guess I'll be replaying these levels more, haha!

I've still need to 100% Book 3 and do all the bonus levels, but I thought I was finished with the others, haha.
Is it bad I already want a sequel, though? Or at least DLC. Game looks amazing as well and a RPG with this engine would look dope.

Yuterald

Is there a little mini-star for your book next to the "Best coin run:" if you, say, collect all coins in a level, like how there's one for the "Fastest time:"? Just unlocked the challenge times for the first episode. Good stuff.

A bunch of nonsense shoehorned into the game in order to utilize the Gamepad, when it's easy to argue that the experience would be as good or better if I could use anything else. I don't mean to come off too harshly. I knew exactly what I was getting into and am enjoying the game all the same. It's just really easy to complain about these little things because they could be so obviously solved.
That is how I feel. Many Gamepad features are gimmicks.
I was hoping more for Layton style puzzles, but most are easy to normal.

So there is a final level after completing all secret challenged huh?
Guess I will have to try it out.

Loving it so far. Not sure the point of the bonus levels? Is it just for the sake of
walking through the SM3D levels
?
There are more after you beat the game, but they are really disappointing.

maxcriden

I got to level 7 and had to go lay down because I had the worst headache. I think I was moving the camera too much. I think I'm going to have to take this one slow and only play a couple levels a day.

I'm sorry to hear it. I get daily migraines and I definitely feel more sensitive with some games (like this) than with others. We'll be playing in short bursts as well.

Firthy

It's not released here in the UK (or maybe even Europe?) until 2nd January, so that may explain the fairly slow movement of the thread so far, can't wait to get my hands on it in the new year!

kubus

Waiting for it to come out in Europe... :(

If I had this game already I'd be posting a lot more!

zroid

Banned
Despite the beautiful HD graphics, I still find myself playing this Off-TV almost exclusively. Perfect pick-up-and-play type of Off-TV experience. Usually flip on some sports on the TV while playing.

Kinsei

Banned
I beat the game! I really didn't expect it to
be a prequel to 3D World
. Th ending cutscene was super super cute. Overall I absolutely adored the game. There was no level I didn't enjoy playing through. I really, really hope they release new levels through DLC, or make a sequel.

I still have to do the time trials in the third book and after that I'm off to the bonus levels.

Richie

dead threads from the start never pick up.

You gotta believe!

That said, something weird with Captain Toad. It's the first 1st party Wii U release of the year that never got around Amazon's Top 10, yet it's out of stock there, which rarely if ever happened with the other releases. Pretty odd, very little supply?

zroid

Banned
so just wondering, how did you do the challenge time for Touchstone Trouble (1-3)?

Held B with my right hand's little finger while tapping the blocks with the index, lol. This one felt like it was designed as a co-op game!

Kinsei

Banned
so just wondering, how did you do the challenge time for Touchstone Trouble (1-3)?

Held B with my right hand's little finger while tapping the blocks with the index, lol. This one felt like it was designed as a co-op game!

For levels that have you touching stuff I balance the gamepad on my knee and use my ring finger for the right stick, middle finger for the run button, and index finger for tapping.

zroid

Banned
For levels that have you touching stuff I balance the gamepad on my knee and use my ring finger for the right stick, middle finger for the run button, and index finger for tapping.

Right after posting that I played 1-4 and you actually do have to move the camera in that one while touching blocks. Suddenly I'm glad I spent a lot of time with that Twister-esque game in Wii Party U!

Top Bottom