• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Hudson leaves BioWare

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
DA2 Anders was written by Jennifer Hepler. Gaider wrote him in DAA.

Yes...? That's exactly what i said...?

As for Hudson; the ME3 ending was clearly a huge clusterfuck in epic proportion but without him the ME universe wouldn't come to life and for that alone, I am very grateful to him.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
He was part of one of my favourite games series. Godspeed Casey.

I think there can be a middle ground where we appreciate (most) of what he has accomplished but still be glad he's no longer involved in making future ME games.

Kind of how I feel about George Lucas when he sold Lucasfilm. Really glad he made the original Star Wars trilogy, really glad he's not involved in making more Star Wars movies.

Mass Effect trilogy are my favorite games of all time. I even loved the original ending to ME3. KOTOR is high up on my list as well. Hopefully Casey gets back to making games because what he's done has been fantastic.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What?!?! I didn't like the ME ending or the general direction the games went after 1, but it's still one of my favorite series from last gen. Really sad to hear he's leaving, I was really looking forward to his next project.

Yknow, it's weird. The first reaction I had when I saw this news was "Oh no! Who's going to ruin that new IP now?" which is a ridiculous, petty reaction. The guy was a big part of KOTOR and the Mass Effect series, and he did a fine job for most of his career and he deserves kudos for that.

That being said, to all the people calling out "haters", the guy was also allegedly responsible for the most dramatic and ridiculous botch of the entire last generation with ME3 and it's ending. Romero was huge and was a large creative force behind Doom, but really, let's be honest, we mostly remember him nowadays for Daikatana. It's unfortunate but enormous failures easily block out more quiet successes.

As far as I'm aware he wasn't really doing much for the next ME anyways, so I can't really see his departure being very impactful. He's probably known he was leaving since he finished ME3 and just served in a supportive role in getting their current projects off the ground.

As for missing him, well... I respect George Lucas but I don't miss him. Same will go for Casey.

Time off then re-evaluate from what he said.

I hope he back to making good games at some point though..

I actually think it might have been just been all the pressure that led to ME3 and that ending. I mean, I wasn't there in the studio over the year's and I will be the first one to admit that I'm not as caught up as I probably need to be, but considering his resume` I think it's reasonable to think something happened during the development of ME3, and that in a more relaxed setting he might go back to making some really good shit.

Prologue

Hudson made his bones as project director on Knights of the Old Republic with no prior experience as lead developer. So what if you like the sequel better? It was the first proper Star Wars RPG and it was an artistic and commercial success, one of the titles that pushed the original Xbox. Of course it didn't have Baldur's Gate insane level of content but it was a dense RPG that established some of the pillars of BioWare design.

It was his idea to do Mass Effect as a trilogy, creating an original IP with the scope and depth of the Star Wars universe. No matter how you slice it, that's a bold proposal and, considering how beloved the universe is, a good call.

I've posted enough criticism of the Mass Effect 3's direction in other threads - I don't think this is the place for it. Hudson is a world builder and it was cool to play in his worlds for a bit.

3073.shepanderson.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

You did good, son.

Ralemont

not me
...hamburger helper?

http://observationdeck.io9.com/female-writer-quits-bioware-over-graphic-threats-to-ki-1153849581

"Coining the nickname 'Hamburger Helper', fans proceeded to spew torrents of abuse and anger at Hepler - blaming her at first for issues related to the game such as changes to Dragon Age II's combat system (which as a senior writer she would've had no say on) and the quality of the writing, the rage quickly turned to making comments on Hepler's physical appearance, her gender, and ultimately threats on her and her family's life."

I really believe that what Casey said that time was their vision.
They wanted to have a huge number of endings but while making that they ran into limitations, technical, time or financial.
These limitations must have forced them to concede defeat and just finish the game.

That being said I would have preferred the
Dark matter plot-line

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Good luck on whatever you decide to do next Casey!

Man, the list of games he worked on or directed while at Bioware is impressive.

gatti-man

http://observationdeck.io9.com/female-writer-quits-bioware-over-graphic-threats-to-ki-1153849581

"Coining the nickname 'Hamburger Helper', fans proceeded to spew torrents of abuse and anger at Hepler - blaming her at first for issues related to the game such as changes to Dragon Age II's combat system (which as a senior writer she would've had no say on) and the quality of the writing, the rage quickly turned to making comments on Hepler's physical appearance, her gender, and ultimately threats on her and her family's life."

This is some sick shit. Don't like what's in the game don't buy it. Or like me3 criticize the ending but jesus leave the person out of it. Personal attacks for video games is just crazy pills.

One person does not make a company. He'll find success somewhere else and Bioware will continue as a top-tier developer.

Maybe a shift in leadership is needed. DA: Inquisition is looking impressive so I remain unskeptical.

Ugh. I remember that shit. I posted pretty regularly on the Bioware forums at the time. Mods got sooooooo mad when that went down.

Top Bottom