• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cassini Grand Finale |OT| UPDATE: Mission ends 9/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
VstwjlF.jpg

mSHJNwF.gif

Where to watch NASA's stream for Friday:

Youtube.
U Stream.

When will the mission end? September 15th at 6:32am EDT.

Grand Finale Mission:

After almost 20 years in space, NASA's Cassini spacecraft begins the final chapter of its remarkable story of exploration: its Grand Finale.

Between April and September 2017, Cassini will undertake a daring set of orbits that is, in many ways, like a whole new mission. Following a final close flyby of Saturn's moon Titan, Cassini will leap over the planet's icy rings and begin a series of 22 weekly dives between the planet and the rings.

On the final orbit, Cassini will plunge into Saturn's atmosphere, sending back new and unique science to the very end. After losing contact with Earth, the spacecraft will burn up like a meteor, becoming part of the planet itself.

When it takes its final bow:

As Cassini plunges past Saturn, the spacecraft will collect some incredibly rich and valuable information that was too risky to obtain earlier in the mission:

• The spacecraft will make detailed maps of Saturn's gravity and magnetic fields, revealing how the planet is arranged internally, and possibly helping to solve the irksome mystery of just how fast Saturn is rotating.
  • The final dives will vastly improve our knowledge of how much material is in the rings, bringing us closer to understanding their origins.
  • Cassini's particle detectors will sample icy ring particles being funneled into the atmosphere by Saturn's magnetic field.
  • Its cameras will take amazing, ultra-close images of Saturn's rings and clouds.

Cassini's final images will have been sent to Earth several hours before its final plunge, but even as the spacecraft makes its fateful dive into the planet's atmosphere, it will be sending home new data in real time. Key measurements will come from its mass spectrometer, which will sample Saturn's atmosphere, telling us about its composition until contact is lost.

While it's always sad when a mission comes to an end, Cassini's finale plunge is a truly spectacular end for one of the most scientifically rich voyages yet undertaken in our solar system. From its launch in 1997 to the unique Grand Finale science of 2017, the Cassini-Huygens mission has racked up a remarkable list of achievements.​

Why End the Mission?

By 2017, Cassini will have spent 13 years in orbit around Saturn, following a seven-year journey from Earth. The spacecraft is running low on the rocket fuel used for adjusting its course. If left unchecked, this situation would eventually prevent mission operators from controlling the course of the spacecraft.

Two moons of Saturn, Enceladus and Titan, have captured news headlines over the past decade as Cassini data revealed their potential to contain habitable – or at least "prebiotic" – environments.

In order to avoid the unlikely possibility of Cassini someday colliding with one of these moons, NASA has chosen to safely dispose of the spacecraft in the atmosphere of Saturn. This will ensure that Cassini cannot contaminate any future studies of habitability and potential life on those moons.​

The photos taken by Cassini over the years:

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's really an amazing probe. I remember reading an article about Cassini as a kid, and it said it is the size of a small bus.

Surprised to hear it's been 20 years.

RoKKeR

Incredible stuff. The whole "sending the probe into the planet" thing is such a romantic way for it to go out!

Amazing how long it has been up there.

Cassini is/was amazing. I think my favorite images are of Enceladus and not of Saturn. Mostly because of the implications of a thermally active water moon.

It's also cool how and why they're destroying it. They don't want to pollute any of the environments out there with possible wreckage. Keep the moons clean. Get to learn some nifty science on the way down too. Going out in style.

CTLance

Aw yeah, we had a thread on this bitter-sweet (but scientifically extremely worthwhile!) end to the 30-year journey from conception to becoming an interplanetary assault probe. Let's just hope the Saturnians are peace-loving creatures that will appreciate the fireworks in their sky.

(Keep in mind that transmission from Saturn to Earth takes around 90 minutes, all things told, so the little probe that could will have long become a twinkle in Saturns atmosphere when NASA will finally receive the last bits of data.)

Also, props to everyone involved in this project, this is some seriously amazing return on investment. I wish my Kerbal runs would be this efficient. .... Frankly, I wish I had that luxury of just crashing a probe into another planet. It usually happens even without my intent, eventually.

The late chunck of my childhood was waiting for Cassini to get to Saturn, waiting for the F-22, and for the James Webb Space Telescope. Guess one of them is a little behind schedule eh?

One of my son's favourite bedtime books is called the "Big Book of Stars and Planets". It has a little blurb on Cassini that I want to point out to him this week and watch videos of the images Cassini took.

He already loves Curiosity because I told him it reached Mars around when he was born :)

Oozer3993

I've loved space and specifically space exploration as long I've been alive. When I was a kid, maybe the coolest field trip I ever went on in school was to the NASA Lewis Research Center Visitor's Center (it has since been renamed NASA Glenn Research Center). I don't remember exactly when this happened, but I think it was right before Cassini launched. The people there gave every student a glossy sheet with an artist's conception of the Huygens lander descending to the surface of Titan on one side, and a description of the mission on the other. I was smitten instantly. Most of my classmates discarded theirs almost immediately, but I held on to mine. I'd pull it out from time to time and look at the picture, or read the summary. But it seemed so far away. The probe wasn't going to reach Saturn until 2004. That felt like forever. I was in grade school and the probe wouldn't get to the planet until after I graduated high school! The description said the mission would last until 2008. 2008! I might be out of college before the mission finished up. The years went by and I kept an eye on the mission the whole time. When it finally settled into orbit in 2004. When the Huygens probe landed on Titan in 2005 (we landed something on Titan! It's been 12 years and this still blows my mind). When NASA had it take a backlit picture of the planet with the tiny blue dot of Earth (and the even tinier gray dot of the moon) in the corner. And now we're at the end. And it's bittersweet. The mission was a huge success, far beyond what the designers could even hope (it outlasted its original end date by 9 years!). But I'm still sad to see it go. Godspeed Cassini, you were everything my 11-year-old self could have hoped for, and so much more.

P.S. I still have that promotional handout:

Culex

Banned
Has it really been 13 years? WHAT THE FUCK?! I remember the backlash of this thing launching with its nuclear engine, or am I misremembering?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has it really been 13 years? WHAT THE FUCK?! I remember the backlash of this thing launching with its nuclear engine, or am I misremembering?

I think it was the New Horizons probe that had the nuclear controversy (that was the one that flew by Pluto last year).

Takuhi

I've loved space and specifically space exploration as long I've been alive. When I was a kid, maybe the coolest field trip I ever went on in school was to the NASA Lewis Research Center Visitor's Center ...

Dude, that's fucking awesome!

What's the next Cassini-level mission going to be? I want to get my kids into this.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Dude, that's fucking awesome!

What's the next Cassini-level mission going to be? I want to get my kids into this.

The big one right now, I think, is the Orion. NASA is testing it to take humans into deep space for a mission to Mars.

Some upcoming missions:

-InSight: A lander that will drill into Mars. Launches in May of next year.
-Another lander that will study another region of Mars. Launches summer of next year. No name yet.
-Europa Clipper: Going to conduct a study around Jupiter's moon Europa. Sometime in 2020.

There is also New Horizons which is heading towards a Kuiper belt object (should reach it in Jan 2019) and as Sum as mentioned, Juno. Juno's mission ends next year. Also pulling a swan dive into Jupiter's surface.

Jezbollah

The big one right now, I think, is the Orion. NASA is testing it to take humans into deep space for a mission to Mars.

Some upcoming missions:

-Another lander that will study another region of Mars. Launches summer of next year. No name yet.
-Europa Clipper: Going to conduct a study around Jupiter's moon Europa. Sometime in 2020.

There is also New Horizons which is heading towards a Kuiper belt object (should reach it in Jan 2019) and as Sum as mentioned, Juno. Juno's mission ends next year. Also pulling a swan dive into Jupiter's surface.

The James Webb telescope being launched will be the next big NASA mission

stressboy

I used to listen to Coast to Coast back then and they had people on going apeshit over the plutonium sitting inside Cassini.

Oozer3993

Nope, your memory is dead on. NASA was even sued to stop the launch.

That forward momentum came to a sudden halt three years later and just a day after then-President Clinton approved the mission. On October 4th, 1997, 800 protesters showed up (27 of which were arrested) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in opposition to the Cassini launch, which was then scheduled for October 7th.

The protesters were worried that, should the Titan IV rocket ferrying the orbiter into space suffer a catastrophic mishap during launch, it would vaporize the 73 pounds of Plutonium-238 that the Cassini carried and spread radioactive fallout across central Florida. The protesters were even more worried about that Cassini's upcoming gravitational slingshot, which would use the Earth's pull to accelerate the spacecraft into the outer solar system, could spread fallout across the globe, should Cassini accidentally re-enter orbit during the maneuver. The Green Party even went so far as to file a federal lawsuit against the government in a Hawaiian court to halt the launch.

That whole article is an excellent overview of the RTG power source and the controversy around it at launch.

Takuhi

Some upcoming missions:

Thanks for the run down! That's a decent number of things to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom