• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate: HD (XL/PSN) |OT| - We ran out of colons

Eusis

Yeah it is locked now in gameplay, it's not that much on heavy cutscenes (2 or 3) for some reason.

That's the LoS Collection, this is the MoF standalone release.
60 or 30? Granted 30 would be better still, but if I'm not going to hold out on PC it'd need to be 60 or bust, given the PC port of LoS I'm reasonably confident it'd be unlocked there.

EDIT: Right, 30. Yeah, waiting on PC, something like Batman I'm OK with 30 just because it's stable and high end for a handheld, but for something like MoF ported to consoles and with a PC version hinted I'd want more.

M3d10n

It's a shame it's not 60fps and there's no 3D support in the console versions. The game has some of the best 3D I've seen on the 3DS and is one of the games that benefits the most of it and 60fps would at least compensate a bit.

Nothing that can't be fixed in the PC version, officially or otherwise.

Also what is up with the vertical window boxing on the sides? Got two black borders on the left and right sides of my screen with no option of scaling to fix the problem...
As a plasma TV owner this concerns me. So far you are the only poster to have brought this up. Anyone else care to chime in?

Yes I already own the 3ds release (100 % it) but I'm excited to see it in HD! Hopefully ppl will give it a chance and enter the game with no expectations, its much different then Vanias of the past but a good intermission sequel to LOS 1 and 2.

Also actual lip synch lawl

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome thread title. I will give this a second chance after the awful 3DS demo.

yggdrasil

Game is very buggy. I have crashed it three times due to a twitchy finger that always hits Start twice when exiting deep menus. The first time I had to reboot my machine my save was gone (had started trial and purchased the full version mid-game) so I had to start over.

Pretty rough start for me, but I'm enjoying the combat. Platforming feels clunky and floaty but that's not a surprise after the 3DS demo. $15 on the bigscreen was the right price though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Really enjoyed this on 3DS. I'd recommend it to anyone, some of te best use of 3D and works really well portably. Though if you don't have a 3DS, this certainly seems like a great deal!

Really enjoyed this on 3DS. I'd recommend it to anyone, some of te best use of 3D and works really well portably. Though if you don't have a 3DS, this certainly seems like a great deal!
Definitely a steal. Paid $40 for it on 3DS and thought it was worth it.

Still scratching my head to why there's no Vita version.

Hope Blackgate gets a release like this.

Thoraxes

I thought it was bland, had poor exploration, and poor combat, and not worth the money at all.

Honestly, I feel sorry for people who are buying this version because it was not that great of a game. I liked Lego Star Wars more than this game... Wait till it's $5 at most if you do decide to jump in.

Sorry to be so negative :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Definitely a steal. Paid $40 for it on 3DS and thought it was worth it.

Still scratching my head to why there's no Vita version.

Hope Blackgate gets a release like this.

....look at these screenshots of Batman Blackgate
http://i.imgur.com/TDsCYj2h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/muzv0R0h.jpg

did you notice the button prompts?

it's kinda obvious that they already working on that, I mean RE:R, LoS, AC3:L before I think it's hard for a big release to be only handheld in the west.

....look at these screenshots of Batman Blackgate
http://i.imgur.com/TDsCYj2h.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/muzv0R0h.jpg

did you notice the button prompts?

it's kinda obvious that they already working on that, I mean RE:R, LoS, AC3:L before I think it's hard for a big release to be only handheld in the west.
Yeah, it's like that on the Vita which is basically the PS3 DS layout.

But I get what you're saying. WB wants money. This for $15 on PSN/XBLA will make more money, much much more than the Vita/3DS sales, like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.

Tizoc

The game is $15 on US PSN and 10 Pounds on EU PSN, so the prices are equal.

HOWEVER, 10 Pounds may just be the pre-order price, so if you want to get this game for cheap and are planning on playing it soon get it asap off the EU Store

Subaru

Yeah, it's like that on the Vita which is basically the PS3 DS layout.

But I get what you're saying. WB wants money. This for $15 on PSN/XBLA will make more money, much much more than the Vita/3DS sales, like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon.

Actually it's the X360 layout. Green (A) and RB (it's R1 on Dual Shock)

wrowa

GAMEPLAY: IS IT METROIVANIA OR NOT?
No matter what the producer says, it's kinda a MetroidVania, the map is open and you go through new places after getting new powers and abilities. There is not much exploration and alternate paths though.

Yeah... No. It is a pseudo-Metroidvania, at best. If you go into it expecting a Metroidvania-like experience, you will be entirely frustrated when you realize that you just paid 15$ for the worst Metroidvania you can imagine. It's a straight forward action-plattformer with just a handful of things you can discover when you go back to a particular scene -- but you will never discover more than a single room with a non-meaningful item that way.

It's worth 15$, though. It's a decent game and an enjoyable experience, even if it's nowhere close to the quality of past Castlevania handheld games (or the classic Castlevania plattformers).

M3d10n

... No it wasn't? I played it through the end three times. Never noticed any problem with the framerate. If there are dips below 30, they must be few and far between.

That was after a firmware update around the time Luigi's Mansion 2 came out. On release, it was quite bad. The demo also ran worse than the full game.

Yanikun

Banned
That was after a firmware update around the time Luigi's Mansion 2 came out. On release, it was quite bad. The demo also ran worse than the full game.

I got the game day one and had no problem, but it may have been improved after the update too.

SMZC

What's up with Mercury Steam and framerate? All their games have fucked up framerate. LOS1 was a disaster in that regard, and the fact that they can't get Mirror of Fate running at 60fps on PS360 is just shameful.

I know they said LOS2 is supposed to be better in that regard with the new improvements to the engine, but I'm not particularly hopeful given their track record.

Ahasverus

MoF perfomance is weird but it was built on their old engine, they swear and eat dirt that the new engine is amazing smooth open world capable and with better graphis. That'd be voodooo.

Raptor

MoF perfomance is weird but it was built on their old engine, they swear and eat dirt that the new engine is amazing smooth open world capable and with better graphis. That'd be voodooo.

I downloaded the demo last night, can't wait to give it a try, this is a sure buy for me though, loved LoS and didn't had a problem with the performance, maybe of the very few that didn't.

Ahasverus

OMG they fixed Dracula's hair shading in LoS2, it looks GERAT now, very natural :D The game looks fukcking next gen. Gotta love his cape animations.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Here's the entire demo of LOS2 that's included in the HD version.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smjDoBX4a7Y

Thanks for this!

Graphics look great, movement speed seems better tuned, and the animation to go with it. The platforming looks better too (with a nice balance between animation quality and speed of traversal) even though it's still automatic point-to-point stuff like Uncharted. That's vastly preferable over the clumsy, inconsistent horseshit of the first game.

From what little dialogue there is, the writing seems pretty bad, so no change there.

Boogiepop

I'm guessing the demo is the same content as the 3DS one? That was probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a demo (and I don't even care about framerate!), took me from "I think I'll pick it up when it's cheaper" to "I'm not likely to ever bother with this," but I guess if this happened to provide a free chance to try out a little more of the game I'd give it another shot.

Top Bottom