• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Renewed for Second Season on Netflix, Episodes Doubled

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I assume they meant adult orientated action series. Adult orientated comedic cartoons are nothing new for the last 30 years.

Yeah I should have been specific and meant adult oriented animation that isn't revolving around puerile humor which is like 98 percent of shit that isn't Bojack and a few other shows out there. Hell the couple of mature kids animated shows did so well because they had adults watching as well like Avatar.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I was pissed off when i was trying to bingewatch this series in auto play.

After episode 4 it somehow stoped working😐

Glass Rebel

I watched the first two eps and it's alright. Everything just sounds and looks a little off for some reason. Especially the mouth animations looks very jarring and I thought the bar fight looked really bad. Gonna finish it and see where it goes but I'm not exactly excited.

Jashobeam

just finished watching it all and can't wait for more! I hope they use some music from the game in season 2. I'd love to play the game based on the anime based on the game, If only Konami still made videogames sigh...

We've come a long way fam.

latest

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just finished the last episode, really enjoyed it.

Side note: I only started SotN for the first time yesterday and have already called 3 people a miserable pile of secrets in 3 separate WhatsApp groups.

Just finished the last episode, really enjoyed it.

Side note: I only started SotN for the first time yesterday and have already called 3 people a miserable pile of secrets in 3 separate WhatsApp groups.

I started SotN for the first time yesterday as well.

Do you know how to save the game? lol

Kinsei

Banned
NO!

I died after having all my stuff taken away and have to restart completely!

I need help!

Where do I go after the Grim Reaper takes all my stuff?

Just head up the tower to the right and continue along the path. the first save room is just past the first enemy after you lose your gear. It's been a few years since I last played the game (I should fix that) but if I'm remembering correctly your first destination should be the alchemy lab.

poodaddy

Wonderful news and it's well earned. The show is vastly better than I assumed it would be, so much so that I got a buddy of mine with zero interest or knowledge of Castlevania at all to watch it and he's hooked. I hope we get a few more episodes before the end of the year but I also understand that these things take time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
NO!

I died after having all my stuff taken away and have to restart completely!

I need help!

Where do I go after the Grim Reaper takes all my stuff?

Just play the game, son. It's so freaking good.

You don't need to have your hand held. Just keep exploring areas you haven't been to yet.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just head up the tower to the right and continue along the path. the first save room is just past the first enemy after you lose your gear. It's been a few years since I last played the game (I should fix that) but if I'm remembering correctly your first destination should be the alchemy lab.

Just play the game, son. It's so freaking good.

You don't need to have your hand held. Just keep exploring areas you haven't been to yet.

Thanks for the info mate. I went past that thing last night, didn't know what it was there for but I do now.

That's a shame. Same thing happened to me, well at least we know how to save now lol

Only played it for 15 mins so far but I'm already hooked, the music is so fucking good and the graphics are beautiful. Seems like the Vita is a great way to play it. I can see why it is so praised, that guy who made the thread saying it was overrated is crazy.

Not bad for 3 Euros

pitchfork

I'm not the biggest fan of anime, but that was really rather good! nice and grim too which I wasn't expecting

Roll on season 2

Watched it today, enjoyed it but it kind felt like it was made as a full length movie (maybe a pilot) that was split into four parts. I hope those next eight episodes don't take a year or more to come out.

Meesh

Yeah it's not bad... and by that I mean I'm not totally let down. Decent, that about sums it up. My issue really is the fight scenes and decisions made to portray them as they unfold. They're definitely western and suit more live action but fail to encapsulate what can be done in animation... in animation I expect more over the top shit, stuff that's more creative in its portrayal and execution... but it's a solid video game representation in its own right. Given the opportunity I might buy it.

poodaddy

Yeah it's not bad... and by that I mean I'm not totally let down. Decent, that about sums it up. My issue really is the fight scenes and decisions made to portray them as they unfold. They're definitely western and suit more live action but fail to encapsulate what can be done in animation... in animation I expect more over the top shit, stuff that's more creative in its portrayal and execution... but it's a solid video game representation in its own right. Given the opportunity I might buy it.
Animation doesn't always need to be, and shouldn't be, over the top. The fight scenes being "western" as you call it is exactly why it feels so much more relatable and grounded. Were it to have the ridiculously exaggerated "anime" fight scenes that you prefer it would hurt the final product immensely, at least in terms of Trevor's fights. However, I do have a feeling that you'll get what you're looking for in Alucard's fight scenes next season.

Meesh

Animation doesn't always need to be, and shouldn't be, over the top. The fight scenes being "western" as you call it is exactly why it feels so much more relatable and grounded. Were it to have the ridiculously exaggerated "anime" fight scenes that you prefer it would hurt the final product immensely, at least in terms of Trevor's fights. However, I do have a feeling that you'll get what you're looking for in Alucard's fight scenes next season.
Well I obviously feel different... if I'm to watch anything animated, I feel it should be something I can't possibly see, experience, enjoy in a live action film... sadly Castlevania just doesn't do the imagination and expectation justice for me. You see what I'm looking for or what I'd prefer to be a detriment to the ip, the legend... I see this product as a weak version of what could've been... preferences, ect.

nordique

This is a fantastic series. I'm bummed it was so short tho

Hopefully season 2 is lengthier in addition to having more episodes

Please release s2 asap lol

Meier

I was wondering how so many people had watched the full season already. Had no clue it was so short.. nice to hear all the positive responses to it though. Will check it out one of these days.

Akronis

Well I obviously feel different... if I'm to watch anything animated, I feel it should be something I can't possibly see, experience, enjoy in a live action film... sadly Castlevania just doesn't do the imagination and expectation justice for me. You see what I'm looking for or what I'd prefer to be a detriment to the ip, the legend... I see this product as a weak version of what could've been... preferences, ect.

What exactly is now impossible to see in live action with the incredible strides in CGI versus what can be shown in animation?

Meesh

What exactly is now impossible to see in live action with the incredible strides in CGI versus what can be shown in animation?
Seriously??? The uncanny valley is still prevalent... most of the time CGI takes me out of the experience. Classical and Japanese animation done well is superb... let's not introduce CGI into anything, just my opinion

Arkeband

Banned
I hope they just keep the running joke of kicking everything in the nuts, culminating with Dracula dying at the end as everyone forms a circle around him and stomps on his nuts until he dissolves into candy corn or whatever Draculas turn into when they die by having their nuts smashed.

Opa-Pa

Technically not anime. It’s a Western production. Think HBO’s Spawn.

I've seen tons of people call it anime by now and I can never tell if they're being ironic or not, haha.

I actually appreciate that while the art style seems anime inspired, but with western touches. Makes characters look great, I think Sypha in particular looks fantastic, I love her design (tasteful, yet both charming and "realistic"), unlike all the garbage re designs Konami has given her in the past.

lupinko

I've seen tons of people call it anime by now and I can never tell if they're being ironic or not, haha.

I actually appreciate that while the art style seems anime inspired, but with western touches. Makes characters look great, I think Sypha in particular looks fantastic, I love her design (tasteful, yet both charming and "realistic"), unlike all the garbage re designs Konami has given her in the past.

What garbage redesigns? If you're just talking about the lol worthy Wii fighting game then yes I concur.

I don't recall Ayami Kojima doing art for her (Yoko doesn't count).

tauroxd

Almost every single Netflix original is renewed for a second season.

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight.

Not the case after this year with The Getdown and Girlboss, so it is nice to see this given not only a second season but 8 episodes in that one, 4 was just too brief.

sfried

First four episodes were solid. Best use of the IP since LoS 1.

I would argue LoS was a terrible use of the IP, but to each their own.

Which brings me to argue that this animated TV series ain't half-bad. It's actually pretty good save for certain animation issues, and even then, at least it isn't Peter Chung levels of weird, wonky anatomy/proportions, and the plot seems solid overall. There are still instances when there's too much talking, but at least it isn't...um...NioIsin levels of exposition, so it can still be improved.

squidyj

surprised to see so much positivity for it, I watched the first episode and thought it was trash but I figured i'd stick it out seeing as there were only 4 episodes.
My opinion did not change.

sfried

surprised to see so much positivity for it, I watched the first episode and thought it was trash but I figured i'd stick it out seeing as there were only 4 episodes.
My opinion did not change.
How so is it trash? That's the question I have to anybody who hates it that much.

Top Bottom