• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Won't Allow Any Reviews of Star Trek: Discovery Before It Airs

Effect

They really want people jumping in on All Access sight-unseen.

That's the thing it won't be sight unseen. The first episode in the US is on broadcast TV. The very initial cost of entry is free in the US. Then it's $6 for the next three episodes I guess since episode 2 drops that night as well but that's on CBSAA.

Outside the US/Canada do have it best though. It's just apart of Netflix and if you already have it then it cost you nothing extra to check out the episodes.

One thing I've noticed they've been stressing more and more is to think of the episodes like novel chapters. They said this thing was going to be serialized but I'm thinking now it's going to be extremely serialized in a way people weren't expecting, at least from Star Trek anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Every time I flip to Space I see Castle re-runs.

Fucking Castle.

At least they still play a ton of Stargate SG-1.
It's the guy from Firefly! lol

That's the thing it won't be sight unseen. The first episode in the US is on broadcast TV. The very initial cost of entry is free in the US. Then it's $6 for the next three episodes I guess since episode 2 drops that night as well but that's on CBSAA.
I think the idea is that people stay from Everybody Loves Raymond and Big Bang Theory reruns and then decide to keep the service after Trek is over.

They want to trap you buy getting you to even sign up in the first place. Since Canada gets fucked as usual, it's not really an issue here at least. (And I'm not signing up for Shomi or whatever the Bell service is called).

It's the guy from Firefly! lol

The content for quality science fiction on television is lacking though. That's why I think, even in this fickle television market, that Star Trek could survive a bad start. People might be that willing to give it an extended chance.

What really worries me is that the US audience is being forced to digest the majority of the series, outside the first episode, through an online streaming service that isn't one of the major players. Canada has it on TV so people don't have to go outside their existing cable service to find it. The rest of the world has Netflix, which is a safe bet for a built in audience.

CBS All Access seems like a risk. I know the hope is Trek will bring the audience but I don't think it's a platform that will foster new viewership for Trek. That's the real concern for me. If the world of mouth is bad, no one is even going to bother signing up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The content for quality science fiction on television is lacking though. That's why I think, even in this fickle television market, that Star Trek could survive a bad start. People might be that willing to give it an extended chance.

What really worries me is that the US audience is being forced to digest the majority of the series, outside the first episode, through an online streaming service that isn't one of the major players. Canada has it on TV so people don't have to go outside their existing cable service to find it. The rest of the world has Netflix, which is a safe bet for a built in audience.

CBS All Access seems like a risk. I know the hope is Trek will bring the audience but I don't think it's a platform that will foster new viewership for Trek. That's the real concern for me. If the world of mouth is bad, no one is even going to bother signing up.

I look at it this way - the fact that The Good Fight was renewed probably means that CBS wants to keep the service going for at least another year. I guess the real test will be how long it takes for Star Trek to get renewed to see if they keep the experiment going.

He's worked with em, yeah.

But apparently Goldsman/Kurtzman are basically steering that ship. they aren't just Exec Producers in name only. They're contributing. The current showrunners are basically trying to execute that vision as best as possible.

It's not like Fuller is going to tell them "Hey. Pass up on this paycheck." He's gonna give 'em his blessing because it's a good job and its good money and might as well stick it out.

I'm just hoping it's good in spite of Fuller's departure.

mindatlarge

Are they locking this show to the CBS paid streaming service? If so, that sucks and I imagine they aren't too confident in the reviews it will yield, slapping an embargo on critic opinions.

But in reality, if the show sucks, and people sign up for their service with it in mind, you'd think there would just be mass cancellations anyways. Seems a tad silly to me in terms of long term profit goals.

I'm a big Star trek fan but have to admit I am not excited for this. I think I am gunshy to get attached to something that is destined to die behind a pay wall. If I had hope that it would last, I'd get into it. I pay for show by themselves if they are great and have the support of their network. Halt and Catch Fire is an example. I buy the episodes outright because AMC supports its shows. CBS will cut this Trek as soon as they do not see a profit.

mcrommert

Banned
Fuller was going to make an anthology show that hopped ships, eras, and stuck closely to the visual aesthetic of those eras as established by the existing films/tv shows.

It would have cost more, though.

So they chucked him and basically handed everything over to Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who installed new showrunners and set about making a Kelvin-verse prequel in everything but name.

Which looks great! Those uniforms are really fuckin' good.

But this is not a great development.

Bobby speaks truth

There is really no way this is a positive thing or even a neutral thing

Will Try to reserve judgement because we did have people like Fuller and Myer involved on the story level which can only be a good thing, and they both clearly know Trek.

However, in the post Trek 2009 world I wonder how much the people upstairs wanted to bring the feeling of those films into Beyond. By looking at the trailer I'd say quite a bit. As I've said before, from a business standpoint I would think if I were trying to sell a service I would target the diehards, not the casuals. A selling point for CBS should have been "Hey people who love Sci-fi because network television has to be beholden to a wider audience / demographic here is he hard hitting Trek show you've been asking for" Instead I worry that they are going to try and split the difference and end up losing both audiences.

Whoa whoa whoa! $40 a month! That's what CBS All Access costs?! That's... That's... Wow, you really are depending on the international market for this series, aren't you CBS? Jesus Christ...
Oh heavens no. That's cumulative month to month at $6/mo (commercials) or $10/mo(no commercials) if you wanna see the whole thing as it airs.

Still not a compelling deal though.

I don't see $40 a month anywhere. I see $5.99 and $9.99 for an ad free version.

Those are 2017 numbers.

How Much Does CBS All Access Cost?

The CBS streaming service now offers two plans — $5.99 a month with limited commercials or $9.99 a month with no commercials. Both plans give you full access to the same content, it's just that one has occasional commercial breaks and the other doesn't. The CBS All Access commercial free plan is definitely worth the cost, in our opinion, unless you really don't mind commercials.

https://www.cutcabletoday.com/cbs-all-access-review/

Grifter

Kurtzman and Orci must've finally realized that divide and conquer was their optimal strategy for ruining as many franchises as possible.

Syriel

I'm a big Star trek fan but have to admit I am not excited for this. I think I am gunshy to get attached to something that is destined to die behind a pay wall. If I had hope that it would last, I'd get into it. I pay for show by themselves if they are great and have the support of their network. Halt and Catch Fire is an example. I buy the episodes outright because AMC supports its shows. CBS will cut this Trek as soon as they do not see a profit.

Netflix pretty much guarantees a profit for the show.

If you plan on buying on an episode-by-episode basis (Amazon, iTunes, VUDU, etc.) you shouldn't have a worry unless the show REALLY sucks.

As long as it is average-to-good, it's getting renewed.

I don't see $40 a month anywhere. I see $5.99 and $9.99 for an ad free version.

Those are 2017 numbers.

https://www.cutcabletoday.com/cbs-all-access-review/
Yeah, he was talking about $40 as a total cost to see the entire series as it airs, assuming the viewer is only subscribing for Star Trek and nothing else.

Are they locking this show to the CBS paid streaming service? If so, that sucks and I imagine they aren't too confident in the reviews it will yield, slapping an embargo on critic opinions.

But in reality, if the show sucks, and people sign up for their service with it in mind, you'd think there would just be mass cancellations anyways. Seems a tad silly to me in terms of long term profit goals.
In the US, they are locking it to CBS All Acess, yes, but the first episode (the one they are embargoing) is going to be aired on normal network television for free. Which makes me think this is more about trying to keep the story under wraps than any quality shenanigans.

Yeah, he was talking about $40 as a total cost to see the entire series as it airs, assuming the viewer is only subscribing for Star Trek and nothing else.

Ah. That makes more sense.

Is this where we are going with cable cutting? Signing up to a bunch of different network services because they have a show or two that I like?

Effect

I also find it very hard to accept or believe that CBS would put out something or allow something to be created that was OMG bad or even on the side of horrible. Not with CBSAA being put at risk. I think it's a question of will the show simply be just okay at worse to great. Then there is the issue is it "Star Trek" or just a scifi action show. We've all said as well most shows really should get 3 to 4 episodes, especially if something is serialized.

EW has an article up on this as well. Seem critics get to see the first two episodes on Tuesday. They mention that this is also in line in how they've handled the show so far and that apparently a lot happens the first hours that they don't want leaking out. So it's Episode 1, review embargo lifts, Episode 2 (on CBSAA). By the time the embargo lifts it likely should be on Netflix or those watching it on Netflix have a chance to dive in without being spoiled.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/14/cbs-critics-star-trek-discovery/

Sloane

Banned
That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.jpg
And Hercules is still around, too. Remember reading his stuff when 24 started and he could watch it a few hours early because he captured the stream that was submitted to the affiliates or something.

On second thought, maybe it wasn't 24 but Buffy? Anyway, almost 20 years ago. Crazy.

Yikes. I mean the trailers did not look good though.

I didn't mind the trailers but it looks out of place considering where it is on the timeline. The Kelvin-Trek movies do a better job of assimilating themselves into what Star Fleet would be during that timeline than what we see her.

This is supposed to be Prime Trek but it looks like Kelvin Trek and doesn't even succeed at that either.

I still want this to be good. We need new Star Trek on TV.

I really just wish they went with something post Nemesis if they were going to try and do something original. The only reason it makes sense to go back to that time period is because you want to cash-in on Kirk, Spock and Bones. We are already getting that with the films. We've also already had the prequel series and I'm not sure how interesting the Klingon War will actually be.

What we've ended up with is a messy version of Fuller's original anthology series plan, which actually does make the entire idea of setting a season in the past make sense. But now it's the foundation for an entire series set in the past.

If they wanted an entire show based around one timeline and crew going post-Nemesis/Romulus blowing up would have made more sense. It allows a lot more leeway since its an unexplored, canonically, creative sandbox.

They have taken an idea which wasn't originally intended to be a multi-series story and made it the foundation for one. I'm not sure it's going to work.

aadiboy

I really just wish they went with something post Nemesis if they were going to try and do something original. The only reason it makes sense to go back to that time period is because you want to cash-in on Kirk, Spock and Bones. We are already getting that with the films. We've also already had the prequel series and I'm not sure how interesting the Klingon War will actually be.
I don't know, I'm on season 2 of TNG and I can see why they wouldn't want to set a series in the future from that. The technology is way too advanced and the crew is OP to the point that a lot of things don't really cause problems for them. The only way I could see that working is if society degenerates after the TNG era, which is something Star Trek would never do.

Game Guru

Oh heavens no. That's cumulative month to month at $6/mo (commercials) or $10/mo(no commercials) if you wanna see the whole thing as it airs.

Still not a compelling deal though.

Okay okay, that's more in line with what I was expecting. That it was priced like Netflix, but wasn't a good deal for me because it would only be for a single series, assuming Discovery is any good.

If you plan on buying on an episode-by-episode basis (Amazon, iTunes, VUDU, etc.) you shouldn't have a worry unless the show REALLY sucks.

But it is not a Netflix show it is a CBS show. I know it is on Netflix outside of the US, but in the US it is not on Netflix since CBS is trying to force fans to pay for their own streaming service. Thus my fear that CBS will pull the plug fast.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is this where we are going with cable cutting? Signing up to a bunch of different network services because they have a show or two that I like?

It's been moving in that direction for close to a decade now. As people abandon cable bundling, it only made sense for consumers to start paying ala carte.

Though there is a strong possibility that once subscriptions flatten following the premiere bump, other services will be given offers for licensing rights. Expect an announcement probably mid-season with a 2018 launch on another streaming service option. Doubtful that CBS stays stingy on exclusivity beyond 2017.

Syriel

But it is not a Netflix show it is a CBS show. I know it is on Netflix outside of the US, but in the US it is not on Netflix since CBS is trying to force fans to pay for their own streaming service. Thus my fear that CBS will pull the plug fast.

CBS is going to keep making the show if it is making a profit.

Netflix is funding a good chunk of Discovery.

It's not just airing on Netflix outside of the US/Can. It's branded as a Netflix original outside the US/Can. It's not going to be hopping onto other streaming services around the world.

My main issue is the trailer makes it look pretty damned bad.

Visually, it's just really boring and not striking at all. Costume design, set design, all very boring and kinda military.

And the trailer makes it seem like its just one big conflict with Alien species. TOS had so many batshit insane plots and amazing adventures. How can they not be trying to possess that spirit?

This just looks bad. I am not sure about this new lead at all. That actor doesn't feel right for this, but I'll have to see.

antonz

Netflix Guarantees Season 1 is profitable. If the show bombs you can bet Netflix will not be sticking around. They have spoken quite loudly over the fact that they have to start being a lot stricter with the money going out and funding stuff that gives them solid returns and not just keep throwing money at shows for the sake of keeping them alive.

Fox Mulder

Good luck.

I'm not blindly subscribing to a CBS service to watch a new Star Trek show. I just feel nothing for this show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Netflix Guarantees Season 1 is profitable. If the show bombs you can bet Netflix will not be sticking around. They have spoken quite loudly over the fact that they have to start being a lot stricter with the money going out and funding stuff that gives them solid returns and not just keep throwing money at shows for the sake of keeping them alive.
The problem with any speculation is that there's no real numbers and no one really knows the metric for success. Probably the only thing that guarantees renewal is if millions of people buy CBS Access and keep it for at least as long as Star Trek runs.

Kevin

I may be in the minority but I plan on watching and actually supporting the show. If it ends up sucking then oh well but I really don't think that it will at all. I'm not even a little concerned mainly because all of the media I've seen so far has looked great.

I'm not going to let the internet decide for me whether it's great or not of whether or not I should watch it. Going to make my own decision here. The two hour premiere airs in like 9 days from now and I can watch that for free on good ol' CBS. If I like it, then I'll just pay for the CBS All-Access subscription and continue watching. If I end up not liking it then well I won't have to subscribe to anything.

I loved Enterprise when everyone bashed that. In fact it was always my favorite Star Trek with Voyager as number too. I mean I own and love all of Trek. I have every single episode and movie on the best formats possible. So I'm a Star Trek fan through and through but I do realize I am in the minority with what is and isn't considered good Trek.

I see nothing wrong with the new Star Trek so far. Obviously I can't predict writing quality but the visuals and atmosphere from the trailers and videos seem really good and count me in the minority of those who like the upgraded Klingon design over the old 90s rubber mask look.

I hope when the season airs, I'll be able to have an actual discussion with some of you guys about the show that doesn't just contain negative feedback. Everyone is always entitled to their opinions just as I am my own but it would be cool to have some discussions on the content of the show, what we like, what we dislike and theorize what is to come because that's one of the fun things to do with a show like Star Trek.

Busty

Banned
There's a TV ad here in the UK for the Netflix premiere and the Kilngons look awful. It's not a question of production values but the actual design.

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those productions where everything, and I mean everything, that could go wrong has gone wrong.

No real expectations for this one way or the other. CBS did a solid job with the Good Fight on their streaming service, and the trailers seem made it look very polished at the very least. If the characters are enjoyable and they manage to have an engaging plotline (or at least interesting individual episodes) then I'll be fine.

No early reviews isn't always a bad thing, but is never the most confidence inspiring move, that's for sure.

I enjoy even what's considered "bad Trek" by most people, so this show would have to be Into Darkness levels of stupid to turn me off of it; magic blood, gaping plot holes (how'd the Enterprise go from being parked near the moon to suddenly plummeting into Earth's atmosphere?), constant references (remember when Spock died?, remember when Kirk went "KAAAAAAHN!"?, remember tribbles?), etc.
Watch, The fucking Orville is going to last longer than this.
It is way cheaper looking, has the Family Guy guy, the plot lines and characters seem as generic as humanly possible, and it has lowest common denominator humor (They talk like bro-y dudes but they're in space! The small woman is really strong! The robot is a racist! Remember Arbor Day!? Hahaha).

...So yeah, you're probably right. But on the other hand, it is scifi and it is on Fox, so maybe not.

Kevin

There's a TV ad here in the UK for the Netflix premiere and the Kilngons look awful. It's not a question of production values but the actual design.

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those productions where everything, and I mean everything, that could go wrong has gone wrong.

This is what I don't get. The look of Star Trek has changed over the years virtually in almost every show and movie there was a new look and that includes the Klingons so I don't understand why Star Trek Discovery is all of a sudden getting the hate that it is for following the exact same pattern that the other shows and films have done.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c6de47165a9f504f9c27cfc72423483f

I am probably in a losing battle here but I see Star Trek Discovery simply as a modern Star Trek show. I loved TNG just like everyone else but I wouldn't want a new Star Trek show that copied that same exact look as TNG from the 80s/90s. i WANT to see a modern version of Star Trek and I don't see the issue with that.

We also don't really know the full story about the Klingons either. They may have a good explanation as to why they look the way they do in the show. The writers have constantly asked people to be patient and wait to see the completed product but everyone everywhere has written the show off so quickly unlike anything I've seen before.

We also don't really know the full story about the Klingons either. They may have a good explanation as to why they look the way they do in the show. The writers have constantly asked people to be patient and wait to see the completed product but everyone everywhere has written the show off so quickly unlike anything I've seen before.

Yeah, Deep Space Nine even made a joke about how Original Series Klingons looked different, and Enterprise went as far as to make an in-universe explanation for it (genetic tampering).

Personally, I think they look fine. Their armor looks pretty awesome at the very least.

CBS Won't Allow Any Reviews of Star Trek: Discovery Before It Airs
It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near
And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna hold me down

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe