• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt RED was indeed targeting a 2019 release for Cyberpunk 2077, may release in early 2020

CyberPanda

Banned
Back in September 2017, we informed you about a Turkish listing for Cyberpunk 2077 which suggested that this highly anticipated title was scheduled for a 2019 release. And from the looks of it, that listing was legit as according to Kotaku’s Jason Schreier, CD Projekt RED was indeed targeting a 2019 release for Cyberpunk 2077.

A few days ago, Schreier tweeted that Cyberpunk 2077 will not be coming out in 2019. And yesterday, Kotaku’s journalist shared some additional details about the release date window of CD Projekt RED’s upcoming RPG.

According to Schreier’s sources, Cyberpunk 2077 was indeed targeting a 2019 release, however most of CD Projekt RED’s employees believed that it was an unrealistic target.

This has gotten a lot of Reddit attention so some clarity: I've heard from three sources that Cyberpunk was aiming for 2019, but belief around the studio was that it was an unrealistic target. I expect first half 2020 or maybe even an E3 announcement of 2019, then a delay to 2020 https://t.co/8QsOatEFfJ
— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) May 31, 2019

CD Projekt RED has stated that E3 2019 will be the most important E3 for Cyberpunk 2077, meaning that we’ll finally learn more details about it (and the team will most likely reveal its release date window). As we’ve said, our guess is that this RPG will be coming out in 2020, something with which Schreier agrees.

Schreier suggest that it’s unlikely to see Cyberpunk 2077 coming out in 2019 and he is certain that the game will be delayed (obviously at a later date) if CD Projekt RED reveals a “Fall 2019” release window for it.

Still, and from what we know so far, CD Projekt RED was indeed planning to release the game later this year (though a 2020 release appears more likely right now).

When asked about whether other companies have done such “planned” delays in the past, Schreier had this to say.

I think companies making announcements like "fall 2017" knowing they're not shipping until 2018 is surprisingly common yeah

I think there could be a lot of reasons. Could be something as simple as "Well we think we have a chance at hitting this, and maybe it'll motivate the team, even if we know it's unlikely"

750182.jpg

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
good to know its not in development hell if its slated for 2019. this game is too big to fail. 7 more days baby!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
At this point it'll be much better to just let the team work for 5-6 hours a day (25-30 hours a week), polish the game untill release of next-gen consoles (full year or so from now), eliminate every possible bug, performance issues, UI problems etc. and then release a perfect game for each platform.

Last edited:

keraj37

At this point it'll be much better to just let the team work for 5-6 hours a day (25-30 hours a week), polish the game untill release of next-gen consoles (full year or so from now), eliminate every possible bug, performance issues, UI problems etc. and then release a perfect game for each platform.

As long as I like what you wrote, you must know it doesn't work like that. First of all that size of game is doomed to be filled with many bugs. There is no way to make it bug-free. And after all CDPR is a commercial company like any other, and they want to make as much profit as they can so no 6 hours work day, I am afraid.

RedVIper

Banned

Why would they have 30 hour work weeks? That's nothing. It would also mean reducing pay.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
As long as I like what you wrote, you must know it doesn't work like that. First of all that size of game is doomed to be filled with many bugs. There is no way to make it bug-free. And after all CDPR is a commercial company like any other, and they want to make as much profit as they can so no 6 hours work day, I am afraid.
Yeah, I know it can't be done, but one can hope that someday.... :messenger_relieved:

Why would they have 30 hour work weeks? That's nothing. It would also mean reducing pay.
To eliminate crunch and to create incredibly healthy work environment?:messenger_smirking:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Man... I can’t wait for this game, I just hope it has a proper levelling system and isnt anything like the Witcher 3 (which was so poor it was unreal, compared to the rest of the game).

But I feel now like maybe this would have been better as a cross gen/next gen launch title. More time to polish, a bigger audience, and the chance to really make the game shine.

They have my money either way, I have faith they will do this well :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't care. i just hope they make it the best they can. that's all i ask for. i've waited this long so i can wait another year.

Videospel

Being a programmer myself, I know that I am much more efficient and happy with 6 good hours, rather than dragging out the work just to fill the day. It's hard to force focus and creativity.

Cosmogony

To eliminate crunch and to create incredibly healthy work environment?:messenger_smirking:

Yes, anything above and beyond 30 hours would be sheer slavery.
Never mind you voluntarily signed up for it.
Nothing more healthy than witnessing as the number of weeks it now takes you to complete work increases.
So invigorating.

And here's the greatest thing! No reduction in salary! The Boss is paying for it! Win!

If Hours needed to complete the project is roughly the same in the traditional case of 40-hour weeks plus crunch and in the case of 30-hour weeks with no crunch, that means the number of 30-hour weeks is significantly higher. Evidently, the shareholders won't object. They haven't invested to cut a profit. No, that's a sinful thing.

Oh, the people who think they can magic-wand away the problems of the world with their brilliant decrees. By royal decree, Crunch is now over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Crunch != Normal work hours.

You want them to reduce the time the developers spend working on the game, when it's getting closer to release.
Not now, but when the most difficult work will be done and it's not like anyone rushing them to release and complete anything. They are the publisher and developer at the same time, they can make a game for as long as it takes and can say "when it's done" when asked about release date.

@Cosmogony, fuckin' hell....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Not now, but when the most difficult work will be done and it's not like anyone rushing them to release and complete anything. They are the publisher and developer at the same time, they can make a game for as long as it takes and can say "when it's done" when asked about release date.

@Cosmogony, fuckin' hell....

giphy.gif

Sure, in a hypothetical world where they don't care about money.

In the real world they do care.

Mista

Banned
Take all the time you need CDPR. Fuck the players and fuck anybody that’ll put pressure on you to release it faster

Last edited:

Ellery

Well the game was first revealed in 2013 and it has probably been in development for more than 6 years now. At some point they have to release.

2019 wouldn't shock me at all, but I also don't care when it comes out exactly.

I am ready when the game is ready and I prefer release date announcement that are close to release. I hate far out release date reveals that end up in delay.

Give me the game when you are ready CD Projekt RED. Whether it will be 2019, 2020 or 2021 doesn't really matter that much.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That's actually sooner than I expected... I didn't think it would release until like 2021-2022 (well into next gen).

sendit

Do you think they are going to pay you the same if you're going to be doing less work.

Crunch != Normal work hours.

You want them to reduce the time the developers spend working on the game, when it's getting closer to release.

Less hours doesn’t mean less work which also doesn’t equate to less pay.

base

Banned
They should have release only the PC version in 2020 and work on the consoles versions and release them later in 2021. It would be a win-win.

Top Bottom