• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR would love Xbox One+PS4 cross play for Gwent, just waiting on Sony

Talax

They don't, but they've already said they're all for cross-platform play so they'd look really disingenuous if they flip flop on this one. Especially considering their 4ThePlayers schtick. Barring any legitimate reasons of course like some unfair burden (between MS and Sony) it puts on them or something.
They did give cross platform play; with PC. It's just that personally I don't think refusing this is gonna give them so much negative goodwill that ps4 owners start jumping ship. I could be very wrong of course but for an approximately 45 million userbase who can already find players to play with readily, this feels like it carries very little incentive for them. Inversely it will do a lot of good for platforms with smaller installbases, which is a much bigger concern for Sony in the long run.

The most I can see coming out of this is that Sony looks at units sold for each game on each platform and only allow cross play for those which already have a well established base on the other platform as well.

Mifec

i agree its a bit of a cheap shot but its just more of an annoyance of how Sony is drifting from there original message. When launching the PS4 there stance was that they would be pro consumer and do everything in the vein of " for the player" but since reclaiming the market leader position they have quickly shifted to shut out services that would be great on my PS4.

Trusting a for profit corporation to ever be "pro consumer" is the problem here. Should have never bought into it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i agree its a bit of a cheap shot but its just more of an annoyance of how Sony is drifting from there original message. When launching the PS4 there stance was that they would be pro consumer and do everything in the vein of " for the player" but since reclaiming the market leader position they have quickly shifted to shut out services that would be great on my PS4.

Again, they are not drifting. Read this post...

At a policy and ideological level Sony have been open to this for far longer than MS.

People suggesting that the ball was in Sony's court were implying that they had been the one holding it up all these years, when it was clearly Microsoft.

Read the actual quotes here. Sony have already said they will allow this, but there are a variety of technical details they need to ensure they've accounted for.

When Microsoft made the decision to no longer forbid cross platform multiplayer, they had time to get their policies and procedures in place before announcing it, now Sony is doing the same. But Sony were always in principal open to cross-platform play.

And clearly these things are not so, 'look at the flip of dat switch' when it comes to these 'policies'...

Have they shown any gameplay from this yet?

I know it's supposed to be more robust than simply, "extract Gwent from TW3 and sell it as a standalone, multiplayer title," with a story mode, quests, and the like. Any details on this yet?

I have all the info I need: they ruined the bestest card. ;_;

LewieP's post from the Rocket League cross-network play thread yesterday:

Who knows, maybe it should have been up and running all along, maybe they're working on it *right now* but are encountering problems. We shall have to wait and see.

Which is exactly why they'd look really shady if they all of a sudden went "lol jk" just because they're market leader (this post isn't a direct reply to you Saint btw). For the record, I'd give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they're just getting their ducks in a row, but I do find it funny people seem to already be spinning this in to "Why should they have to?" considering Sony's previous comments.

Can you actually party up with and invite cross platform players on Rocket League? While it would be nice to expand the overall player base unless you can do that this feature won't matter much to me. Hopefully that day is coming soon considering how little difference there is between hardware these days.

I'm a little unclear here. Are they waiting on a green light because Sony isn't interested in pursuing crossplay anymore, or are they waiting on a green light because Sony hasn't figured out the technical aspect?

LewieP's post from the Rocket League cross-network play thread yesterday:

LewieP said:

At a policy and ideological level Sony have been open to this for far longer than MS.

People suggesting that the ball was in Sony's court were implying that they had been the one holding it up all these years, when it was clearly Microsoft.

Read the actual quotes here. Sony have already said they will allow this, but there are a variety of technical details they need to ensure they've accounted for.

When Microsoft made the decision to no longer forbid cross platform multiplayer, they had time to get their policies and procedures in place before announcing it, now Sony is doing the same. But Sony were always in principal open to cross-platform play.

Who knows, maybe it should have been up and running all along, maybe they're working on it *right now* but are encountering problems. We shall have to wait and see.

Yeah, I get it, but if they truly weren't just trying to take advantage of a PR win previously when they spoke about it (like MS is doing now - let's face it, that is the only reason any of this is going public now that MS has agreed) it would seem that they should have already had their policies well worked out in the chance that MS would agree once they began goading them publicly.

Just seems weird to not have drawn this stuff up prior to going public if they were serious.

foxbeldin

Why is everyone assuming they're going to say no? It might take a couple of months to tie the lose ends but they might be open to it, as they said they were.
Let's wait and see? I'm pretty sure either psyonix or cdpr will tell us if Sony refuses.

Madchad

As a former PC main platform gamer now playing on my PS4 i can tell you right now i would not support playing alongside PC players while on a console.

Only reason needed.... PC is piss easy to hack/cheat on.

Xbox players are soon to be on the end of all that with the play anywhere. Unless they do implement some console only servers of course which would obviously defeat the point of all of it. Whats MS going to do to the PC hackers ? ban their copy of windows ?

Jumeira

Banned
Too bad there's no reason for Sony to accept cross-play considering the position they're in.

It's to boost the pool of players, something Sony users would certainly benefit from, and of course make things much more interesting for all of us. It's a dick move if everyone is happy to comply apart from Sony.

Ketaya

I'm a little unclear here. Are they waiting on a green light because Sony isn't interested in pursuing crossplay anymore, or are they waiting on a green light because Sony hasn't figured out the technical aspect?

I guess Sony has to look at Microsofts regulations and network and see how that works together with their own before they can say anything.

What is Sony doing? For a company that was all in on cross platform play (with PC) for the past few years, this seems like a no brainer. C'mon son.

I guess Sony has to look at Microsofts regulations and network and see how that works together with their own before they can say anything.

I want developers to come clean with how difficult it is for this to happen. Lawyers bs, technical bs, TOS BS and such. They make it sound so easy and I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong, but I don't think it is that easy or cut and dry and I also think it is different from a game-to-game basis.

I'd like to see Rocket League first, then find out how this is done and what regulatory/technical hurdles need to be considered on Sony's end. Hell, I'd like to know how Microsoft handles this as well.

wapplew

What is Sony doing? For a company that was all in on cross platform play (with PC) for the past few years, this seems like a no brainer. C'mon son.

Give them some time, it took MS how long to open up?
They have bigger PSN issue, lining up for years, cross play with Xbox can wait.

Zedox

As a former PC main platform gamer now playing on my PS4 i can tell you right now i would not support playing alongside PC players while on a console.

Xbox players are soon to be on the end of all that with the play anywhere. Unless they do implement some console only servers of course which would obviously defeat the point of all of it. Whats MS going to do to the PC hackers ? ban their copy of windows ?

They will probably just ban them from Xbox Live...basically what they do to people on Xbox Live now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Sony has to officially say is "We're working on the technical details and we're good to go." to devs/people and that will hopefully make these types of threads go away.

MS made it sound like they were open to cross play with any platform that was open to it. I think Steam support would be likely in future titles.

I do find Sony's reluctance to play ball with MS on cross play to be very amusing though. Especially after all of the used games, best place for indie developers, for the players crap they kept spewing. I kind of expect them to just keep ignoring the issue.

Well, I guess they could ban their Windows Game Store/Xbox Live accounts to prevent them from taking place in the "Play anywhere" thing for Xbox "exclusives" that also have PC copies.

But you're right - PC is filled with cheaters, so some games will be very frustrating playing PC and console multiplayer for console users.

Madchad

They will probably just ban them from Xbox Live...basically what they do to people on Xbox Live now.

So you will need an Xbox live sub on windows to play online with MS games ? Cant see that happening. They would just make another xbox live account and carry on lol

Durante

Pretty much.

Obviously Microsoft will keep talking about cross-play as there are only advantages for them in it, and people will get mad at Sony for not opening up.
And rightfully so, since you can't really build your entire marketing campaign on the platform of being 4ThePlayers and then block an initiative that would be, well, good for the players.

But you're right - PC is filled with cheaters
I must be playing the wrong games.
(Admittedly I don't do AAA shooters)

The God

How come?

It'd be up to the developers as it'd be an in-game thing, not system wide, so I think once a few developers do it it'll catch on. At least I hope so.

For obvious reasons from the platform holder?

I think random matchmaking pools like Rocket League is the farthest this will go.

Well, MS could always block Live server access to players caught cheating. Also, in the case of Rocket League, you can actually specify who you're playing with. I still want this so I can play with my friends. Cheating can be dealt with.

So you will need an Xbox live sub on windows to play online with MS games ? Cant see that happening. They would just make another xbox live account and carry on lol

Nope, they could easily stop anyone from interacting with their services. Don't need a XBL account for that.

watdaeff4

Yeah, I get it, but if they truly weren't just trying to take advantage of a PR win previously when they spoke about it (like MS is doing now - let's face it, that is the only reason any of this is going public now that MS has agreed) it would seem that they should have already had their policies well worked out in the chance that MS would agree once they began goading them publicly.

Just seems weird to not have drawn this stuff up prior to going public if they were serious.

Bingo.

The LewisP post/explanation isnt the whole story it doesn't make sense

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's to boost the pool of players, something Sony users would certainly benefit from, and of course make things much more interesting for all of us. It's a dick move if everyone is happy to comply apart from Sony.

Selling more PS4s is a better way to boost the player pool without giving their competitors free access to the biggest console player base there is.

It's also a dick move for Microsoft to promote this "the ball is on your court, Sony" narrative nowadays. I wonder what made them change their minds after the last generation?

This is just a PR game I honestly want no part of. Nothing will come out of it.

Footos22

The balls in Sony's court because that's where everyone is playing...

Consumer wise they should do it, but business wise why would they give people a reason to play with their friends by buying a competitor's console.

Selling more PS4s is a better way to boost the player pool without giving their competitors free access to the biggest console player base there is.

It's also a dick move for Microsoft to promote this "the ball is on your court, Sony" narrative nowadays. I wonder what made them change their minds after the last generation?

Getting your ass whooped after a messy launch will do that.

Also, I agree. I'm going to show myself out of this thread. I can already picture the thread in it's degenerative state

SOR5

All MS have done is say "alright were up for it, send us a message", theres been no sneaky pot shots

Psyonix and CDPR are the ones who have been disclosing the negotiations as they are lol

Dont hate the player hate the game etc

Zedox

You don't need a subscription (gold) to play online games on PC. Yea, they can make another XBL acct. I'm sure that they can figure out your IP and just ban that. Cheaters will always find a way and the platform holder will find ways as well.

What? When did this happen? I think you're on these message boards too much my friend. lol.

Chris1

For obvious reasons from the platform holder?

I think random matchmaking pools like Rocket League is the farthest this will go.
What obvious reasons? Clearly I'm missing something here..

I don't really see a difference between partying with people in game, and finding them randomly in matchmaking. The only difference is it won't be a random person but I don't see how that would change things.

I'm not saying so you can invite ps4 people to an xbox one party chat or whatever if that's what you think, it'd all be done from within the game and never reach a system level.

Edit: For example, you load up Rocket League and there's a new menu called Friends. You go into Friends and you have your PsyNet friendslist and are given a PsyNet ID based on your gamertag with random numbers (for example RocketLeague#938 if your GT is RocketLeague). In here you can add people from any platform as long you have have their PsyNet ID - in this case we'll go with PS4, say your friends PSN ID is also RocketLeague, the system gives him the PsyNet ID of RocketLeague#939, which you can add to your PsyNet friendslist and invite him to your party this way). As far as I'm aware this would never reach a system level, it'd all be done from within the game so why would MS or Sony have an issue with it, if they'd already allow cross play?

jaypah

You don't need a subscription (gold) to play online games on PC. Yea, they can make another XBL acct. I'm sure that they can figure out your IP and just ban that. Cheaters will always find a way and the platform holder will find ways as well.

What? When did this happen? I think you're on these message boards too much my friend. lol.

They called Sony out. Rather crassly to boot.

Bingo.

The LewisP post/explanation isnt the whole story it doesn't make sense

So it makes sense that Sony should have done the leg work prior to MS changing their mind in the hope they see sense? Because... goading? Yeah, somehow I don't think that's a good enough reason for them to spend resources on something which may never be used.

I want to see cross-platform play, but let's not ignore the fact that Sony do things at their own, decidedly slow pace. (See PS4 FW updates, two-factor authentication.)

Gestault

I don't see how people are reading this as anything other than basically "it's good that this can happen, the devs just need Sony's ok, and Sony previously said they're fine with it." Give it some time. Until someone actually says "no," there's no reason to assume this won't move forward.

So it makes sense that Sony should have done the leg work prior to MS changing their mind in the hope they see sense? Because... goading? Yeah, somehow I don't think that's a good enough reason for them to spend resources on something which may never be used.

I totally agree that these steps will take time (and no one should be "clattering at the gate" about that), but the most recent dev statements on this sound like the technical challenges are already solved, it's mostly a policy nudge. I would expect Sony to have worked out policy strategy when they previously said they supported it.

So is the narrative going to change now from "Sony has always been open to it, MS was the hold-up" to "Sony is the market leader and they don't need to do it and no benefit to do so"

Just want to make sure I'm up to date

You know how it goes around these gaming parts and anything related to Sony.

lol it's a dick move by MS for giving players what they've been asking for? Now Sony is the good guy for ignoring it now that it's on them to make the move? And I would like to point out that it's been the devs making this an issue and not MS. But yeah, what isn't a PR game when it comes to competition between competing products? Oh yeah, everything that comes out of any company is PR.

Your argument is amusing at least. Props dude.

Zedox

They called Sony out. Rather crassly to boot.

They really said anyone else and yes that includes Sony...but Nintendo is also there. It's not like they came out and said "HERE SONY!"...how it was said wasn't anything bad. The people of these message boards made it more than what it was. But that's my opinion.

Top Bottom