• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's investor's conference: Interesting bits, Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 4

Ricker

No Witcher 4 please,it will ruin the amazing last few minutes of 3 ;)

Seriously though,looking forward more to Cyberpunk for now.

Cyberpunk is such an enigma. It looks amazing, but we know so little about it.

It's great to hear it's at an "advanced stage", but it sounds like it won't be out until at least fall/winter of next year. In some ways it's better to just not hear about it.

Syntsui

A Witcher game that retells the books would be awesome, that said, the franchise must rest and Geralt's tale must be forever retired.

Alastor3

Geralt is done. They need to introduce something new. I'd like learn more about that world though.

I'd love to see other places and mysteries, meet other monsters and learn about more of the world's history.

I like Ciri, but I'm not sure she would be the right vehicle for that either. She's too powerful.

Read the Books

Tajbong

Neo Member
CDPR explains their "Cyberpunk" trademark: https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/850022540042960896

I love these guys.

I'm on the contrary - I feel they're going the typical corpo way...

Just because someone has good PR, doesn't mean you can completely trust them. With a trademarked term like Cyberpunk, CDP opens their door to creating brands/products such as Cyberpunk board games, Cyberpunk: The Drama, Cyberpunk: Gwent, etc etc. So if you, or any other dev, tries to release a game say called "Cyberpunk Love Story", you might be in trouble.

What they are doing is smart, as they're slowly building a perception that Cyberpunk = CDP. In ten years time, that perception might hold true.

Warablo

I should have fleshed out my post a little bit. In the books, Geralt is often laying traps for monsters. While playing HZD I was thinking how the game really makes you feel like a hunter. Laying ambushes, using traps, funneling enemies - I think HZD really did this well and elements of it could work really well in a Witcher game too.

Also, I think W3 was much stronger in melee combat when fighting human enemies then HZD is, but HZD did a way better job fighting medium/large sized 'monsters' and flying creatures. Fighting a giant or a group of harpies in Witcher 3 was never as much an adrenaline ride as battling their equivalents in HZD.

But I/we are going offtopic a lot right now.
Witcher 2 did the traps thing a lot more.

Anoxida

Yeah, Ciri is a good character but it makes no sense. She's not a Witcher for one. And the point is playing an actual Witcher. Also she's the most powerful character in the entire world, she wouldn't struggle against a damn werewolf. They would have to strip her from all her powers and then have her go through the mutation for it to work, but that feels forced.

Miniuuu

Neo Member
They binned all the preproduction stuff and started fresh after Blood and Wine.

Oh God. So it means that 2018 is pretty much impossible.
Why would they do that? Also, do you mean literally everything? What about story? I remember reading somewhere that story was already finished...

I'm on the contrary - I feel they're going the typical corpo way...

Just because someone has good PR, doesn't mean you can completely trust them. With a trademarked term like Cyberpunk, CDP opens their door to creating brands/products such as Cyberpunk board games, Cyberpunk: The Drama, Cyberpunk: Gwent, etc etc. So if you, or any other dev, tries to release a game say called "Cyberpunk Love Story", you might be in trouble.

What they are doing is smart, as they're slowly building a perception that Cyberpunk = CDP. In ten years time, that perception might hold true.

You will be as much in trouble making a game named "Video game title: a cyberpunk adventure" as you would with "The Forest of Doom" in reference to the Doom trademark.

As in, you won't get in trouble at all.

boskee

Oh God. So it means that 2018 is pretty much impossible.
Why would they do that? Also, do you mean literally everything? What about story? I remember reading somewhere that story was already finished...

I'm afraid I can't say anything more.

You will be as much in trouble making a game named "Video game title: a cyberpunk adventure" as you would with "The Forest of Doom" in reference to the Doom trademark.

As in, you won't get in trouble at all.

Exactly.

Ahasverus

I've heard second hand that the Witcher 3's codebase was a spaghetti mess.
They allegedly changed the engine for CP. Gien boskee's scoop, they probably built it anew.

And yeah, it was obvious TW3 engine was stitched together, they changed the lighting, twice, and then also changed the renderer once the game was alredy released. Then they changed it again for Blood and Wine.

boskee

They allegedly changed the engine for CP. Gien boskee's scoop, they probably built it anew.

And yeah, it was obvious TW3 engine was stitched together, they changed the lighting, twice, and then also changed the renderer once the game was alredy released. Then they changed it again for Blood and Wine.

And people were up in arms because CDPR decided against releasing RedKit to modders. They'd probably have to spend few years just to get all that tooling packaged together in a nice, user friendly way :)

I've heard second hand that the Witcher 3's codebase was a spaghetti mess.

I wish for more spaghetti mess in engines!
Super fast loading times, only 1 crash in 200 hours, no big visual errors or problems, good streaming tech, very decent performance for the visuals.

Staf

I'm probably alone in this but i would love to play as a non-witcher in Witcher 4. I wanna throw some freaking fireballs like Triss. Not gonna happen but a man can dream.

On the contrary i think its a positive. Reminds me of old Blizzard.

Yeah, Resi 4 turned out brilliantly as well after they scrapped earlier versions. I don't think it sounds bad in a "this game will turn out to be terrible" kinda way, but more like: "it sounds it's way off". I'm generally pretty patient, but I just can't wait to see something from this game. Cyberpunk is my jam.

Aangster

They binned all the preproduction stuff and started fresh after Blood and Wine. There's also a new game director.

If I may ask, would that be Mateusz Kanik and his role as director being replaced by another dev within CDPR?

In terms of changing the engine for CP 2077, would it still be built upon REDEngine?

boskee

If I may ask, would that be Mateusz Kanik and his role as director being replaced by another dev within CDPR?

In terms of changing the engine for CP 2077, would it still be built upon REDEngine?

Yes, Mateusz Kanik has been replaced as a game director, but he still works at CDPR.

Cyberpunk 2077 is using REDEngine 4 - the next iteration.

Exentryk

They gained a bunch of experience with Blood and Wine, like adding textures in a way that fewer draw calls were needed, and they were loading more of the data, so overall more efficient. They also improved the grass quality, and could have even more of it than the base game. The whole game is really very well optimised.

The main thing I want to see Witcher 4 improve tech wise is greater LOD distances (user editable so PC users can really go crazy and not see any pop in of textures if the can afford the power), and better lighting.

FrankWza

Starting reading up on cyberpunk. Sounds amazing. Any gameplay trailers or videos out there? Great genre for a game.

They binned all the preproduction stuff and started fresh after Blood and Wine. There's also a new game director.

Welp see you in 2077.

On the flip side, it's good that they are taking such measures to reach the extremely high quality bar they set for themselves, even if it adds an extra wait to the release.

Old Blizzard? They just did this with Titan -> Overwatch, and now seemingly with Diablo 4, even including the director switch.

Yeah, the only other similar examples would be Warcraft Adventures and Starcraft Ghost... but they just canned them outright after extended development.

Top Bottom