• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEMU 1.9.0+ Dynamic Speed patch released!

Source (Reddit)

Xaliphenos has released the Dynamic Speed patch they have been working on for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

First, let me apologize for taking so long. I really wanted to have this out about a week ago. But I keep tweaking something or chasing rabbits down ASM holes for fun and understanding.

The issues have been pretty well documented:
Stamina replenishes too quickly, as though it's still going 1x speed at 30 instead of what FPS you are getting. Some of my testers have reported missing textures on occasion, however that is a problem I couldn't duplicate. The textures not loading in were subsequently reported to be happening by two of my testers; albeit to a lesser extent, even without my patch, leading to a theory that it may be related to Cemu v1.9.1--as I have been on 1.9.0 the whole time due to it being a bit easier to debug with.
Sometimes animations get a little jumpy, it happens most often while paragliding. There is a random chance the game will slightly stall briefly but it recovers pretty quickly. Finally when you sleep you may randomly get a long wait before Link wakes back up again--it seems to be pretty rare, only happening to me once in the whole last week of testing. Based on tester reports if it does happen it usually wont happen again during that play session.

Inside the patches.txt there is a section titled "#experimental". You can toggle these options on or off by placing a semicolon ";" in front of them. They are disabled by default. Some testers reported a slight performance increase with them, others did not.
You can change the lower limit by looking at the float labeled "edit me." By default it's set to 10 fps. Divide 30 by the number you want and put the result there. So, 30 / 10 is 3, so that's what is there now. At least in theory, the higher the number, the more likely you will have slow down, but possibly the less likely to encounter a physics related bug. I've mainly shown it to be editable for extreme low end systems. Realistically, with full speed, 10 FPS is no fun.

I have a couple of theories on improving the patch but I didn't want to keep people waiting any longer.
Enjoy!

Special thanks to:

Rajkosto - for creating a great swiss army knife for Cemu and for knowing what the Wii U Bus Frequency is. Without it this wouldn't be possible, or at least it would be a hell of a lot harder. Seriously, if you feel like donating to someone because of this, donate to him for Cemuhook.

My Beta Testers, who all provided tons of feedback on this:
Epigramx
Coldshock
Serfrost
Bradley
Gamedev1909

Videos
Xalphenos fps patch v3 beta,initial Performance test
CEMU Emulator - Zelda Breath of the Wild native 4k60fps
Breath of the Wild | Unlocked Framerate | Huge FPS Improvements

Potential location spoilers in videos!

5olid_5nake

How is Super Smash Bros currently running on CEMU? Last time I checked, it had sound issues, I was hoping that it's not all about Zelda. :D

I can finally play it without worrying about framerate issues and bad IQ on my Wii U version! :D

If anyone with a similar PC wants to chime in with their results, lemme know.

i5 6600k CPU -- I can OC it pretty well as I have a decent cooler on it, but I usually don't need to.

GTX 1070

16gb RAM

Can run off SSD if needed, although it's only 120GB.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't get it. Is this actual 60fps or sped up 30fps?

My partner tried Zelda recently and in dungeons it was just sped up. Looked absurd.

Durante

4.4ghz 3570k IvyBridge peasant reporting in :( As said in the other thread I will likely wait till next year when I have a new CPU but you have a point Durante since it's truly variable I might give that a go sooner, hmm...
3-series Intel CPUs are quite a bit worse in CEMU than you'd expect, some of the architectural changes in Haswell made it perform significantly better for this workload.

3-series Intel CPUs are quite a bit worse in CEMU than you'd expect, some of the architectural changes in Haswell made it perform significantly better for this workload.

Which makes me wonder about Ryzen vs Intel CPUs for CEMU.
I'm currently using an Haswell 3ghz quad core and I'm thinking to upgrade.

I don't get it. Is this actual 60fps or sped up 30fps?

My partner tried Zelda recently and in dungeons it was just sped up. Looked absurd.

No, this is different.

Yes, that's just sped up and is a bug within Cemu, which can be easily remedied by capping the app with RTSS and the likes.

Yeah I'm aware that's why I called myself an IvyBridge peasant :p I'm waiting till early next year and hope that I can find something decent in the 250€ range with 6-cores atleast.

Which makes me wonder about Ryzen vs Intel CPUs for CEMU.
I'm currently using an Haswell 3ghz quad core and I'm thinking to upgrade.

I went from 3570k @ 4.5 to a 1700 @ 4, performance was way better with Ryzen (as in quite smooth 30 FPS instead of 15-20) when I tried but I'm not sure how exactly it would compare. I was definitely happy with it.

Sentenza

Is Zelda playable 100% now?
It has been for a couple of versions at this point and with the 1.9.1 they fixed the last significant issue, which was the pictobox not working properly (it only took black images before).

My turn for questions:
So, any known downsides to using this right now, beside the stamina recovering too quickly (which I can honestly live with)?

KainXVIII

4.4ghz 3570k IvyBridge peasant reporting in :( As said in the other thread I will likely wait till next year when I have a new CPU but you have a point Durante since it's truly variable I might give that a go sooner, hmm...

I still hope for some optimization (Super Mario 3D World works perfectly on my i5-3570 after all 😀) in future CEMU updates..

I still hope for some optimization (Super Mario 3D World works perfectly on my i5-3570 after all 😀) in future CEMU updates..
Considering Haswell got an abnormal jump in performance relative to its average IPC improvement for Dolphin as well, it's likely something with the architecture. I think I read somewhere a specific instruction set used heavily by Dolphin got a pretty decent IPC boost in Haswell, perhaps CEMU makes heavy use of it to.

Kambing

So is there any worthwhile framerate difference between running at 1080p and 4K?

The game definitely seems to be 99% CPU bound. Prior to this patch, I was unable to play BOTW with my Ryzen system even with a 1080ti. Now, I am running the 8K (mother of god) graphics pack, and getting 32-50 fps in the overworld. Using the 4k graphics pack I honestly only notice a difference of 2-3 frames compared to 8k... nothing worth benching over. This might change further along the game as I am still in the Great Plateau.

I really wished I had a 7700k to have a higher average frame rate. The 60FPS locked in shrines is a tease!

EDIT: i lied... at 8k the game becomes gpu bound. Was just in the shrine and maxed out at 50fps. With 5k graphics pack game runs 60 fps again in shrine

Arttemis

Fuuuuuuck, this game is gorgeous.

I've been waiting until all the DLC is released to dive back in, but maybe I'll wait until I have a PC.

Invis

Getting crazy levels of micro stutter in the world. Rotating the camera around in a circle while sprinting looks awful, the stamina wheel shaking constantly left and right really fast. I'm running a 7700K and a 1080 with 16GB of RAM. Not sure what type of implementation this is, but the menu's and map feel sped up.

Shrines are fine, but overworld is a stutter fest for me at 60fps. Anyone experience good frames but stutter?

EDIT: Using this FPS boost while keeping the FPS still locked to 30 is also certainly an option. Any stutter I got while entering Riko Village for instance is completely gone.

jediyoshi

Getting crazy levels of micro stutter in the world. Rotating the camera around in a circle while sprinting looks awful, the stamina wheel shaking constantly left and right really fast. I'm running a 7700K and a 1080 with 16GB of RAM. Not sure what type of implementation this is, but the menu's and map feel sped up.

Shrines are fine, but overworld is a stutter fest for me at 60fps. Anyone experience good frames but stutter?

Stutter is a normal part of using Cemu while your shader cache is being built up. It reduces over time within visited areas as you play more.

Invis

Stutter is a normal part of using Cemu while your shader cache is being built up. It reduces over time within visited areas as you play more.

I'm aware of that but I'm already using a cache one that I made some of it myself, it's around 8680 at the moment. I've also already completed the game and got all the shrines, so it's not that, ha. Seeing lots of reports of stutter as well in the Reddit thread, might just be something with specific setups.

While this works great, the microstuttering is super annoying.

Edit: Disabling triple buffering + vsync in the Cemu profile of my Nvidia Control Panel seems to have alleviated it. I'm reverting to using Cemu's vsync option for now.

Top Bottom