• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CESA: Japan Game Awards 2017 (Results)

ggx2ac

The Japan Game Awards took place during Tokyo Game Show 2017.

Source: (There is more information in the Press Releases)
http://awards.cesa.or.jp/en/release/index.html

The guidelines for selection criteria and eligibility for awards are here: http://awards.cesa.or.jp/en/overview/division/index.html

Eligibility for Game of the Year Awards division:

All games that were released onto the Japanese market between April 1, 2016, and March 31, 2017.
____

The Game Designers Award 2017 goes to, Inside.

Japan Game Awards 2017 (JGA 2017), organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA; Chairman: Hideki Okamura), has selected “INSIDE” (Playdead/ Platforms: PS4/PC) as the winner of this year’s “Game Designers Award.”

The head judge, Mr. Masahiro Sakurai (President of Sora Ltd.) explains the reasons for selecting this title as follows:

There were many famous titles lined up for selection as Award for Excellence in this year’s judging, but this is the game that got the most votes from the judges.

It’s a title that has an extremely orthodox control scheme, but its depiction of events leaves a deep impression upon the player.

The game world is puzzling and the protagonist is enigmatic. Its presentation technique is unique – there are few if any other games that could be described as looking similar to this.

This is also a form of originality, and as such we selected this game for the Game Designers Award, which emphasizes creativity.

This year, with Mr. Hidetaka Miyazaki of From Software Co., Ltd. joining as a new judge, 12 top creators representing Japan selected the award-winning work based on criteria such as “creativity” and “originality”. The “Game Designers Award” is another Grand Prize of the Japan Game Awards. As an indicator of the future growth of the games industry, it will continue to introduce highly creative works. Please look forward to next year’s Game Designers Award!
___

The Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award 2017 goes to, Pokémon Go Project Team.

Japan Game Awards 2017 (JGA 2017), organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA; Chairman: Hideki Okamura), has selected Pokémon GO Project Team for this year’s Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award.

The award ceremony was held today in the TOKYO GAME SHOW 2017 (Venue: Makuhari Messe)
and an award certification was presented to the team by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

[Reason for the award]
A worldwide sensation that has achieved 500 million downloads in just two months since its release. A huge social phenomenon in Japan and overseas, with many players visible in cities and elsewhere – not just game fans, but all kinds of people from children through to adults.

Uses AR technology to present a new way of enjoying games that are connected to the real world, greatly expanding the game user base, and contributing to the growth of the industry. Other factors in winning the prize include its contribution to regional stimulation and revival of disaster-affected areas through games, etc., and its demonstration of the new potential and excellence of game contents.
The Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Award was established in 2008 with sponsorship from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. It is the only award that recognizes an individual or organization that has made a great contribution to the growth and development of the Japanese computer entertainment software industry, and is selected based on the results of a title created and released in recent years. Selection is conducted with careful reviews by the Japan Game Award Committee.

___

The Grand Award for Games of the Year 2017 goes to, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

The Japan Game Awards 2017 (organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association CESA; Chairman: Hideki Okamura) has announced the award winners for the “Games of the Year Division”.
“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” of Nintendo Co., Ltd. received the most prestigious Grand Award. Nintendo has won the Grand Award for the second consecutive years.
Winners for the Award of Excellence, the Special Award, the Best Sales Award and the Global Award for Japanese Product / Foreign Product were also selected.

Update:

“The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” - the latest “Legend of Zelda” game - is the series’ first open-world game and retains the fun of puzzle-solving, memorable characters and deep story, while enabling adventure with a high degree of freedom.
In the popular vote, it was unanimous that “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” should receive this year’s Grand Award: there were many comments full of praise for the game - such as “It’s an enjoyable adventure with continuous surprises and discoveries” and
“The puzzles and battles are so exhilarating - it’s perfect!” - and the game received support from people of all generations and regardless of gender, from ages 5 through 74.

●Nintendo won the Grand Award for the second year running!
●The Special Award goes to “PlayStation®VR”!
●“Pokémon Sun/Moon” won a triple award of the Best Sales Award, Global Award
for Japanese Product and the Award of Excellence!

Game of the Year division winners of Award for Excellence:

Biohazard 7 resident evil
Final Fantasy XV
Horizon Zero Dawn
Monster Hunter XX
Nier: Automata
Nioh
Overwatch
Persona 5
Pokémon Sun and Moon
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game of the year Special Award goes to, PlayStation VR.

Game of the year Best Sales Award goes to, Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Game of the year Global Award Japanese Product goes to, Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Game of the year Global Award Foreign Product goes to, FIFA 17.

___

The Future Division Awards:

Japan Game Awards 2017 (JGA2017), organized by the Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA; Chairman: Hideki Okamura), has today selected and announced 10 award winners for the “Future Division.”
The award for the Future Division is applicable for unreleased titles that were announced and exhibited at the TOKYO GAME SHOW 2017, and votes were collected from visitors in three days during the event from September 21 (Thu) to 23 (Sat). After which, through a screening by the Japan Game Awards Selection Committee of works that received high anticipation of launch and overwhelming support, the game with the best future prospect was selected.

Here are the winners for the Future Division Awards:

City Shrouded in Shadow
Detroit Become Human
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dynasty Warriors 9
Fire Emblem Warriors
LovePlus Every
Monster Hunter: World
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki III

Edit:

DKPc6SCUQAAtzpo.jpg

Photo of the people awarded

I've also found a video of the summary of the event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br1qxVSfv54

Sakurai was the head judge for this? Wow.

I actually already made a thread about it a few days ago, but congrats to BOTW for winning. It's actually the first Zelda game to win the Japan Game Awards since Ocarina of Time all the way back in 1998.

ggx2ac

Updated OP with the Future Division Award Winners.

Also included more info regarding the Game Designers Award and the Grand Award for Game of the year.

There is a lot more information in these press releases, particularly for the Game of the year division awards.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Nioh
Persona 5

While I know Zelda or Mario is going to landslide the GOTY this year. This is still an insane amount GOTY worthy games. And these are just from the first quarter of the year o_O

The man behind Smash, Sakurai cool! Also good list glad to see Nioh made it not sure how Horizon Zero Dawn made it there when there were better choices to choose from but anyways

Yeah really strange an universally praised game made a list with a 89% metacritic which is even above Nioh.... So fucking strange...

ggx2ac

Got the Simpsons tune stuck in my head:

Outstanding Achievement in... (Dun dun dun dun) the Field of, Excellence!

Glad to see The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki III winning Future Division Awards, just making the hype even greater for me.

The Future Division Awards are literally a Hype Awards, they get voted on by people who visited TGS:

The award for the Future Division is applicable for unreleased titles that were announced and exhibited at the TOKYO GAME SHOW 2017, and votes were collected from visitors in three days during the event from September 21 (Thu) to 23 (Sat).

After which, through a screening by the Japan Game Awards Selection Committee of works that received high anticipation of launch and overwhelming support, the game with the best future prospect was selected.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
Got the Simpsons tune stuck in my head:

Outstanding Achievement in... (Dun dun dun dun) the Field of, Excellence!

The Future Division Awards are literally a Hype Awards, they get voted on by people who visited TGS:

Ahhh that's good to know, should have read everything but got tunnel vision when I saw mention of that game.

ggx2ac

When is the window for entry? I guess DQXI and Splatoon 2 missed the cut?

Games released between April 1, 2016 and March 31, 2017 are eligible for the Games of the Year division for 2017.

So it's literally every FY3 (Financial Year ending March) for games to be eligible rather than going by calendar year.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I mean award shows typically reward innovation over gameplay and even then, Tales isn't that exceptional in gameplay.
I honestly think the combat in Berseria is a bit of a mess.
I'd definitely agree with you there.

On another note, if the criteria for these awards were based on innovation, that's even worse.

Several of the listed games are questionable in regards to succeeding in innovation, while Pokémon Sun and Moon would have no business being praised for innovation at all.

Pachael

I'm more surprised that best foreign product went to FIFA 17 over Horizon or Overwatch.

Maybe it was Alex Hunter?

FiveSide

Banned
Kind of a bummer Gravity Rush 2 is nowhere to be seen. Even with the largely formulaic mission design, it's still an incredibly unique game with a strong central vision.

Other than that, great lineup of games that just reiterates the exceptionally strong year Japan has had in gaming. One of the strongest ever. In terms of the number of Japanese games I played that I consider my all-time favorites, the strongest ever for me.

Ex-Psych

Saw the video of the Japan Game Award.

Sakurai looked cheerful and healthy.

Sorry guys no Smash 5/Deluxe announcement anytime soon.

Game of the Year division winners of Award for Excellence:

Final Fantasy XV
Horizon Zero Dawn
Monster Hunter XX
Nioh
Overwatch
Persona 5
Pokémon Sun and Moon
The Last Guardian

Thats a pretty solid list! @_@ Only missing Gravity Rush 2 and Berseria.

Top Bottom