• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Rings III Vita Import Impressions Thread

hongcha

Chaos Rings III was released on the Japanese Vita on October 16. I received my copy of of the game today and played for a few hours. Here are some brief impressions, feel free to add more if you are playing as well!

First, the game opens to a menu that allows you to select from CRIII or any one of the three previous games (CR1, CR Omega, CR2). The previous games need to be downloaded from PSN, but they are all free downloads. There is no code to enter, so you can lend the cart to your friend and he/she can also download and play the original 3 games on their Japanese account as long as they are using your cart (you can't access the games outside of the cart menu). The versions of these games included here are slightly updated compared to the previous PSM version of CR1, for example the text has increased in size to make it more legible on the Vita screen. Nice that they took the time to do this.

Now, onto CRIII itself. The story and pacing have been very good thus far with lots of interesting camera angles used in story segments that give the game a cinematic feel, and there has been plenty of voice acting, all of excellent quality. The graphics are a bit sub-par, however. While there is a lot of nice detail, particularly in the houses, the framerate feels a bit jerky while moving around towns and I rarely feel it hit 30fps. It's not terrible, but having just played Toukiden (which runs very smoothly and looks better), the difference took some getting used to. Furthermore, the textures on the character models are generally low res and look like something on the 3DS blown up to the Vita's resolution.

The battle system is a fairly fast-paced turn-based system. It's simple, effective, and very smooth. Here the framerate fares better, and loads in and out of battle are very quick. I have not been in many battles yet, but I really like what I've seen thus far.

The controls are nice and responsive with the buttons and sticks, though you can also use the touchscreen interface if you want.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game so far, and looking forward to playing more the next chance I get. I only planned to check out the intro today, but the game immediately pulled me in and I ended up playing for nearly 2 hours; the sign of a good game, I'd say!

This is also available on the Japanese iOS for 2800 yen.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
This series went from amazing artstyle (Chaos Rings), to a downgraded artstyle copy of it (CRII) to an absolutely disgusting visual style in this last title. Not interested anymore in it because of this.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thanks for the impressions!
Can you describe the battle system? What about the other games? Are they good? Have they framerate issues?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I haven't tried any of the previous games, so I am interested ni getting this. Thanks for the impression.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Any unique game play systems? Like a job system or whatnot? Or is chaos rings more of a standard rpg fare?

Kanann

beautiful game, great design (some dungeon visual stunted me) good characters

It's feel like SQEN give Media.Vision a chance to make a full scale title rather than dungeon crawling RPG, result is Chaos Rings III = mini Wild Arms for me

boring at 300+ quests a bit but you can choose to skip some

Any unique game play systems? Like a job system or whatnot? Or is chaos rings more of a standard rpg fair?

correcting cards and leveling them
combine card with player characters = element, skills, status bonus

more rarelity = more level cap

if your familiar with Persona series, cards = personas

fun fun fun

hongcha

Compare the story to the previous games. Is it darker?

So far it is not dark at all. The beginning reminds me a bit of Grandia or Skies of Arcadia. The game gives a nice sense of adventure from the get-go, really reminiscent of the JRPGs of yore.

Faustek

So far it is not dark at all. The beginning reminds me a bit of Grandia or Skies of Arcadia. The game gives a nice sense of adventure from the get-go, really reminiscent of the JRPGs of yore.

Pleeeeeeeease don't be exaggerating ...! And please localise this if its just 1% true :D

BTW, the first PSM game was kinda unplayable due to sloooooowdowns, they fix that now?

hongcha

Pleeeeeeeease don't be exaggerating ...! And please localise this if its just 1% true :D

It's no exaggeration. I am loving this game, it brings back all sorts of wonderful memories from my days in the 90s playing JRPGs. I should also mention the music is very much in line with the "classic" feel of the game. I've already heard many great tracks, and there is a good deal of variety.

I should also update my comment on the framerate: it's quite smooth in houses, in the dungeons/overworld, and in battle. It can just be a bit jerky in the towns, which are comparatively more expansive with a lot of detail.

BTW, the first PSM game was kinda unplayable due to sloooooowdowns, they fix that now?

I gave each game a run for about 20 minutes last night. They all ran smoothly, and the font is large and crystal clear in each game. CRII looks like the best of the bunch, very similar to my memories of the game on my ipad 2. (If you haven't played this game you are really missing out, it is fantastic!) CR1 looks the worst, with PS1-quality textures. It is also the smallest file (around 260MB), while CR Omega and CRII are each around 500MB.

This is an amazing package in regard to value, you get three excellent 30+ hour JRPGs plus the brand new CRIII, which is said to be over 50 hours in length.

I didn't even know there was a Chaos Rings 2?

I didn't play the original but I remember hearing good things back when it first released, and learning that this installment is on Vita (including all previous games!) has piqued my interest significantly. Probably not a good contender for a localisation though?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So you can't play the other titles on anything but a Japanese account right? I'm guess the downloaded games are not saved in the cart.

Do the older games have trophy support too?

Dark_castle

This series went from amazing artstyle (Chaos Rings), to a downgraded artstyle copy of it (CRII) to an absolutely disgusting visual style in this last title. Not interested anymore in it because of this.

Because Yusuke Naora wasn't involved anymore.

hongcha

So you can't play the other titles on anything but a Japanese account right? I'm guess the downloaded games are not saved in the cart.

Do the older games have trophy support too?

No trophies for the older games. Yes, you need a Japanese account (or an Asian account, if you bought the Asian version). The downloaded games are saved in your save file.

Two questions about this game:
1- Is it compatible with US PSVita/TV?
2- Are all the games in english?

No clue about 1), but an English patch will be released "soon" for the Asian and Japanese versions that will add English text to at least the first three games, hopefully also CRIII eventually.

hongcha

I finished the main quest today, took me around 28 hours in total. There is more to do after this:
A whole other chapter with lots of bosses to fight, more dungeons, and a continuation of the overall story
, but I'm satisfied for now and will revisit the game again at a later date.

Overall it was a good game. Not bad, not great. On the plus side there is a ton of stuff to do, the battle system is awesome, there are some really diverse and interesting places on the journey, the gene card designs are pretty cool, the villains are pretty cool and diverse, there are some really dark moments in the plot which stand in stark contrast to the more lighthearted tone of much of the adventure, and the game is structured very nicely for quick pick up and play sessions. On the downside the music ranges from OK to cringeworthy, the overall story is pretty good but there are a lot of inane parts including some seriously sappy scenes (how's that for an alliteration!), the quests involve far too much repetition going into the same areas over and over again, most of the characters in your party are boring and/or super generic (Alfred is awesome though), and trying to collect and level up all 138 gene cards is tiresome, though thankfully, entirely optional (I got 46% of them on my first run through).

Top Bottom