• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

MoonFrog

I pretty much always go into a new game very open ended, and my strategy develops very much depending on things like starting conditions and who all is around me and what their temperament is. If I start on a crowded landmass with lots of competition for land then I’ll go to early war to cut out a good spot for myself. If I am left alone and happy with my cities then I’ll be more peaceful and either go culture or tech victory. If I end up late game with not enough resources I’ll go to war to get some. Or if I end up way ahead in tech and military and am feeling rather bloodthirsty I’ll attack the planet and commit mass genocide.

I’m a very fluid ruler!

I think I’m buying from GMG tonight for the 20% off, preloading, and calling in sick Friday. That sounds like a wonderful plan.

Makes sense. I often want a different experience, but my strategic, simulation, and role-playing inclinations tend to make games play out similarly at the macro-level.

Hobbes211

I almost always do tech or cultural victory. I've played some more warlike games over the three Civs I've played, but my experience of war is usually being invaded by huge stacks of death and using superior but fewer units, well developed cities with strong defenses, etc. to (hopefully) stem the tide and then counter attack to force peace. War is only an excess for the post game when I have nothing to build but armies and it usually gets boring pretty fast. Also done late game policing actions to box in an uppity rival and protect weak disunited, now indebted opposition.

That said, I've had some fun with earlier wars when I did do them. It is just rare that I'm situated near a civilization I want the land and cities of that bad. I tend to expand aggressively to establish the borders I want, not necessarily in city number but placement. Moreover cities full of disloyal, unhappy citizens on top of increased maintenance costs are not fun.

Doesn't help I play on huge maps.

I more often than not went for war victories in Civ V. It does get tedious after a while though, especially pre expansion Civ V where you could just fly stealth bombers in almost anywhere. Once trading was introduced I was more inclined to control the strong nations via trade embargos, and then declare war on them once I had stripped them of trade revenue and resources. This required me playing nice with weaker nations to have them on my side of the vote when the time came.

I love these games.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I feel like I always start out with an attempt at Culture or Tech victory, but by the time I hit the Industrial era I just go full on conquest as I usually can out produce or straight up buy units and wipe the opposition pretty easily.

This normally happens as a result of some other Civ declaring war on me and I just don't give in until they're history. I think it's been years since I offered a peace deal.

crazyprac

So just bought from gmg with that 20%, got a msg that said temporary out of keys but when I check my games tab there's a key already. Activated with no complaints :)

I always went for Tech victory, then BNW's changes to Cultural victory made me go for that instead once in a while. With Civ VI's changes, I'll probably turn into main Cultural; it just seems like a lot of fun.

Anno

I usually hit a passive victory but have one-three centuries-long wars somewhere in there. CiVI I'm sure will be different but I imagine I'll stick to maki in general numbers go up over punching people. Especially since barbs will be a bigger part of the game and scratch some of that itch.

Ozium

GMG isn't even offering the 20% voucher for a future purchase anymore for NA customers..

for people in NA you can pre-order at wingamestore with a 20% off coupon code 20offciv6 at checkout.. you also get your keys right away (aztecs are a separate key, at least in NA)

GMG isn't even offering the 20% voucher for a future purchase anymore for NA customers..

for people in NA you can pre-order at wingamestore with a 20% off coupon code 20offciv6 at checkout.. you also get your keys right away (aztecs are a separate key, at least in NA)

Aren't the discounts just baked into the price at release now? It's showing as 47.99 in my cart on gmg.

So this is released 11pm Central time on the 20th(Thursday)? Got it preloaded. Just went basic edition as I'm poor, plus we have no idea what the other content is or even when it's coming out, or how much one would be saving.

Ozium

Aren't the discounts just baked into the price at release now? It's showing as 47.99 in my cart on gmg.

yeah I noticed that on GMG after seeing it mentioned here that you need to add it in your cart to see the discount.. I thought it was rather odd they wouldn't be advertising the discount on their page though

Not that the file size is big or anything but we have to wait to download the Aztecs it seems...?

if you pre-loaded there should be a checkmark by the DLC, it will say not installed because nothing is installed until it is decrypted.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
despite the plainly obvious thread title for some reason I thought this was coming on the 26th
mad hyped for this, preloading now as I speak
absolutely the bare minimum in social contact this weekend

yeah I noticed that on GMG after seeing it mentioned here that you need to add it in your cart to see the discount.. I thought it was rather odd they wouldn't be advertising the discount on their page though

Yeah it definitely is weird that it's not even listed in the VIP deals or store page.

Andd that launch trailer made me finalize my purchase. Can't wait for Friday!

Edit: GMG is outta keys atm, nice, wish they had that disclaimer before I bought it lol.

Nzyme32

Anyone know if the GMG key work in AU?

Depends on the region you buy. First time in a long time GMG gave me a EU specific key - or rather that is what 2k have decided. Makes key purchases from alternate sources (where keys have changed hands) a lot more sketchy

MoonGred

Depends on the region you buy. First time in a long time GMG gave me a EU specific key - or rather that is what 2k have decided. Makes key purchases from alternate sources (where keys have changed hands) a lot more sketchy

How can you tell on GMG though? I only see one option of the game and no mention of region at all.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Edit: GMG is outta keys atm, nice, wish they had that disclaimer before I bought it lol.

It says it's out of keys, but yet my key was at the bottom of the page after checkout, and I got an email instantly with my key too. And yeah the 20% off is applied at checkout!

I'm installing it now!!!!

Nzyme32

How can you tell on GMG though? I only see one option of the game and no mention of region at all.

You can't; I mean, you should expect that if a store is selling it to you that it is going to be valid for the region you are in - unless you are using the grey market, in which case you will not know the origin of the keys. For sites that don't disclose on the page / you don't know of having a good reputation, you either have to find a different website that flat out tells you or ask the store. You have to activate and find out otherwise.

MoonGred

Thanks guys

Ended up taking the risk, GMG hasn't let me down in the past.

It's always 2K that charges some insane price for PC games in Australia.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So the guy spends the entire game warring until he eventually falls apart in the modern age while the girl sits in a corner and develops peacefully until she wins a space victory.

Most accurate depiction of Civ yet!

lol!

Warring oneself into irrelevancy is just too tempting.

Do we know if this game will sell exclusively via Steam, or are the other major online stores participating? I'm trying to find a deal and Steam is the most expensive one...

Do we know if this game will sell exclusively via Steam, or are the other major online stores participating? I'm trying to find a deal and Steam is the most expensive one...

Considering you can pre-order at a ton of places, I think it's safe to say that you can buy it elsewhere.

Just wanted to throw it on the pile - In NA, if you add Civ 6 to your cart at GMG it will show as 20% off. It does not show the correct price at the store.

Edit: I also got the key immediately in my email, despite them saying that they have run out of keys.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
what CIV are you guys going to start with?

I'll probably just do random

I don't know. I'll peruse the list, but I'll probably play America for my first game. Doesn't matter, I'll eventually play them all....

Ozium

TgEttTt.gif

Fledz

Random first game on a small map is probably a good shout. Just to get a feel for it. I'm away this weekend so can't play until Monday :(

I'm gonna play as Norway for my first go.

I play Emperor on Civ V so I think I'll start down a level on King in my first game. Standard map, standard speed, I'll probably add 2 Civs as well for a total of 10. Fractal Map.

Top Bottom