• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Claire Foy (The Crown) is frontrunner for Lisbeth in The Girl in the Spider's Web

Blader

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/claire-foy-lisbeth-salander-girl-in-the-spiders-web-1202331186/

After meeting with dozens of actresses for the role, Sony looks to have its next Lisbeth Salander.

Sources tell Variety that “The Crown” star Claire Foy is the top choice to play the rogue hacker in “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the latest installment in the “Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” series. No offer has been delivered but one is expected soon.

There is one caveat, however, that could stand in the way of a deal closing, according to insiders. Foy is also meeting with Damien Chazelle for the female lead in his next film at Universal, “First Man,” which stars Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong. Sources at Universal say that no offer has been delivered for that role.

Sony had no comment on part.

If Foy does get the offer to star in “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” she would take on the role that was played by Noomi Rapace and Rooney Mara in prior installments, with Mara earning an Oscar nomination for her performance in the 2011 remake.

Fede Alvarez, the director of “Don’t Breathe,” will helm the film, which Sony recently dated for Oct. 19, 2018.

Rooney was pretty much perfect in the role, but if they have to recast, Foy is a damn fine choice. She's excellent in The Crown.

Noctilum

I enjoyed her in a The Crown. It's all I have seen her in though so hard to tell if she would fit. I think they should keep Rooney for the Sony adaptions though.

I wish they'd just continue with the 2011 cast (or even the Swedish cast now that both Noomi and Michael are well known actors thanks to Prometheus and John Wick).

Blader

Did Sony ever adapt the second and third novels?

Steve Zaillian wrote a script for the second one, but the price tags for everyone involved (Fincher wouldn't do Steve Jobs for less than $10 million and Craig was coming off the billion-dollar gross for Skyfall) + the difficulty Sony had in working with Fincher + the fact that Dragon Tattoo didn't really make a lot of money led them to eventually pull the plug.

Is Craig coming back?

No. Nobody from the last movie is coming back. Clean slate.

Mara was perfect, as was Fincher. Can't say I'm excited about the shift.

Never finished the third novel in the series
- confining Lisbeth to a hospital bed brought the pacing to a total halt for me.
--is the fourth book any good?

molnizzle

Who the fuck reboots the film adaptation of a series of novels and doesn't lock in the main cast with multi-film contracts?

Amateur hour.

Noks415

Huge fucking fan of the film/novels and if they are going to go through with a sequel without Fincher I actually don't mind Alvarez as the director, but I'm not feeling Foy as Lisbeth.

Mara was perfect, as was Fincher. Can't say I'm excited about the shift.

Never finished the third novel in the series
- confining Lisbeth to a hospital bed brought the pacing to a total halt for me.
--is the fourth book any good?

It's ok . You won't really miss out anything if you decide to pass. Best case scenario is that they take elements from the other novels when they make this movie.

Noks415

Who the fuck reboots the film adaptation of a series of novels and doesn't lock in the main cast with multi-film contracts?

Amateur hour.

I think they did lock down both Craig and Mara for a sequel, but it wasn't indefinite. So after a certain amount of time they were no longer obligated. Its been like 7 years since Dragon tattoo came out and this new sequel isn't even in production yet. They really fucked up by not fast tracking a sequel.

Blader

Amateur hour.
Mara and Craig were locked in for three-film deals. That doesn't mean Sony HAS to use them for any Dragon Tattoo movie, just that Mara and Craig can't really say no if the studio doesn't want to use them.

Truant

People said Noomi couldn't be replaced, then we got Mara and she was even better. I'm sure Foy will do great as well.

jett

D-Member
Of course Sony would try to make this happen. Do people care anymore? I think this franchise's 15 minutes were up ages ago.

Xero

Fincher and reznirs atmosphere was fucking fantastic, and i dont know if they can be replaced, particularly with inferior source material. I was amazed how good finchers version , this coming from someone who saw the swedish one 3 times before and loved it. Between noomi and mara honestly i think we cannput them on par with each othee. Both were fantastic and both brought different things to the table, so while i have my preference i will say their performances are likely about even. Still one of my favorite soundtracks.

She's fine but it's such a shame that Rooney Mara will never get to play that character again. The movie wasn't that great compared to Fincher's other works (Alien 3 notwithstanding obviously) but her performance was incredible. Better than Rapace imo, even though they're both very talented of course.

I still don't know what Sony is doing or how anybody there thinks making this project as it is is a good idea.

Yeah, I don't know that anybody is clamoring for this. It seems like the time has passed. I hope for them that they're not spending too much on this. But it's Sony, so...

Haven't seen The Crown yet but I loved Claire Foy in Wolf Hall and I'm sure she'll do a great job as Lisbeth. However, for me, Noomi Rapace will always be Lisbeth Salander, just like Michael Nyqvist will always be Mikael Blomkvist.

Top Bottom