• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fede Alvarez to direct The Girl in the Spider's Web; Dragon Tattoo cast not returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthu...n-tattoo-movie?utm_term=.dwWx4aRa6#.loWKLnQnB

At long last, Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist will be back onscreen: Sony will release The Girl in the Spider’s Web on Oct. 5, 2018.

Production on Spider’s Web — which Sony Pictures confirms will be directed by Fede Alvarez (Don’t Breathe) — will begin in September. There will be, according to Sony, an “entirely new cast,” and a “global search” for a new Salander. In David Fincher’s 2011 The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Rooney Mara played the autistic hacker and Daniel Craig played Blomkvist, the investigative journalist.

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/841368827946389504

Justin Kroll‏Verified account
@krolljvar
Update on Lisbeth front, Vikander was offered but already passed on role a while back, Fede meeting with talent now for part

mjc

Weird decision to keep going with the series at this point...is the hunger for sequels even there still?

Is "The Girl in the Spider's Web" the name of a fourth book? I don't remember that name from the original movies.

Also, was she autistic in the books? I didn't get that from the original movies either. I mean, asocial perhaps, but not quite sure she was autistic.

edit: I haven't read the books.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They're obviously looking for a European actress, otherwise he probably would've just cast Jane Levy. I'm trying to think who they'd even go for.

Is "The Girl in the Spider's Web" the name of a fourth book? I don't remember that name from the original movies.

Also, was she autistic in the books? I didn't get that from the original movies either. I mean, asocial perhaps, but not quite sure she was autistic.

It's been a while since I read the books and I don't remember any specifics from the book where the author in one form or another stated that it was true but you could definitely argue that she falls pretty squarely in the autism spectrum by her actions and personality for sure.

Blader

One of the big hits of losing the Fincher team is no more Reznor/Ross score! Their Dragon Tattoo soundtrack might be their best work.

It's a fourth book by a different author.

Solo

The funny thing is, whether they use her or not, based on her characters/performances in Evil Dead and Don't Breathe, I can totally see Levy as Lisbeth.

Mitch

Banned
I can watch Fincher's version over and over again. Really loved it. Disappointed that the original cast isn't returning.

YaBish

This is just a weird decision to me all around. I wish they would've done the other two books in the OG Millennium trilogy first. I get that they're hard to adapt, but that could've been half the fun.

Noomi Rapace best Lisbeth.

That's what's up.

Salsa

dont necessarily like this development for the series but happy for my fellow Uruguayan bro. go Fede keep openin dem doors

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Based on the director, I'd imagine Jane Levy is going to get a serious looking at.

This role would totally be in her lane too. Maybe they want to give Swedish actresses first pick and then they'll go to Levy. Give her some prep time and she'll be able to throw an accent on it.

Solo

I would imagine this film will look a lot more stark and dirty than Fincher's, who can make even pure smut look high class.

Noks415

Fuck I'm such a huge fan of the Novels/Films sucks they couldn't get Mara and Craig back. I wasn't sold on Mara when she was first cast but boy did she end up crushing it as Lisbeth.

KillySG10

Neo Member

It's been a while since I read the books and I don't remember any specifics from the book where the author in one form or another stated that it was true but you could definitely argue that she falls pretty squarely in the autism spectrum by her actions and personality for sure.

She was supposed to be autistic? I didn't pick up on that in the original Dragon Tattoo movie or the remake

Blomkvist believes she might have asperger syndrome, but its never confirmed outside of his speculation, and really a lot of her personality that could point to it could also be put down to her trauma.

Also yes, Spiders Web is the fourth book, not written by Larsson.

Blader

This is just a weird decision to me all around. I wish they would've done the other two books in the OG Millennium trilogy first. I get that they're hard to adapt, but that could've been half the fun.

Steve Zallian had written scripts for one or both of them, but Dragon Tattoo didn't hit at the box office and Fincher was dragging his feet on whether or not to direct any sequels (and I don't think Sony was all that into bringing him back anyway), so they ditched them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
No lynch and no original cast? Yo, fuck this.

Don't Breath was good stuff, though. I'll probably watch it if I hear good things but I've no interest in this as is.

I've read them and I don't remember anything mentioning autism.

It's a fourth book by a different author.

Blomkvist believes she might have asperger syndrome, but its never confirmed outside of his speculation, and really a lot of her personality that could point to it could also be put down to her trauma.

Also yes, Spiders Web is the fourth book, not written by Larsson.
Ah, thanks guys. Yeah, I thought that was odd on both counts.

Eh, might watch the movie if the trailers are good, but so far nothing about this gives confidence. And the original movies were good (and recent) enough, I think, to not warrant this remake (or even the one before it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom