• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: White house blocking them and other news outlets from attending press briefing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're exactly right. These are assistant level magic tricks. Look at this stupid thing I'm doing over here with press briefings, not the undermining of basic civil rights, the destruction of the EPA, climate change denial, health care abolition, suppression of freedom of speech, etc. etc. etc.

Everyone knows that he's doing those things, though. They're still being talked about and reported, people didn't forget just because he did something new.

Trump isn't a mastermind. He does a lot of dumb shit in a short period of time. That's it.

C5g6HRDXQAIexmq.jpg

https://twitter.com/thrillis4/status/835481632698138626

The white house doesn't even need to get stats from its own government, random forum trolls do enough to feed his ego and spread disinformation.

And just like that, tomorrow it's fact to a good portion of his followers. The 1984 comparisons seemed hyperbolic but this is exactly what the ministry of truth was built for.

How did we get to a point where a sizeable portion of Republicans voters read completely fabricated stories from unverified sites, just assume them to be correct, and then label CNN as completely fabricating stories?

It seems like it happened overnight.

RCSI

Yeah but Trump told me he inherited the biggest mess ever

*ignore that the stock market were at all time highs when Trump came in.

Ministry of Truth will correct that to all time lows when he came in.

Excuse me, I mean Department of Truth.

How did we get to a point where a sizeable portion of Republicans voters read completely fabricated stories from unverified sites, just assume them to be correct, and then label CNN as completely fabricating stories?

Nah, anchoring bias is nothing new.

Faiz

I really wish I knew. Most of my extended family has gone this route. Just had it out with my Aunt on this subject who insisted that a judge in Georgia said CNN was fake news and told me to "just check snopes, you'll see."

Of course we've all heard that story already and I knew what Snopes actually says on the matter but she probably thinks I doctored the screenshot I posted in response...

RDreamer

It definitely didn't happen overnight. Drudge and Breitbart have been around for a long time. Palin's whole thing was attacking the liberal media. Trump just pushed things a bit further and gave it a new name, "fake news." Other than that it's been on this trajectory for a while.

Conservative talk show/anchors/pundits have been sewing this seed for 2 decades.

ICO_SotC

I always love the "but if you just turn the numbers this way...." stuff.

People huddled around a boardroom table for hours trying to think of ideas for pro Trump spin, and that was the best one.

Seems like a dumb move to me. These news services will get even more attention playing martyrs for democracy than they were already getting. Meanwhile every story they've posted that Trump didn't like has even more credibility. That's what they call a Lose-Lose, Mr. President.

The funny part is that they think official access to informal white house briefings is valuable leverage. The real information comes from outside the WH or from leaks from within. The official line is mostly lies.

I'm sure what will come out of those closed-door meetings is Spicer trying to coach "friendly" media into delivering the official line. Good luck with that, Spicy.

Everything these news organizations are doing for ratings and money is fueling the collapse of the US gov't. They need to change how they cover Trump fast if they want to stop his movement.

Conservative talk show/anchors/pundits have been sewing this seed for 2 decades.
Yup, they paint everything that not them or their ideology as biased, lies, liberal agenda, liberal indoctrination and brainwashing

Let's just say it makes it really hard to have a conversation with someone who's deep in that quagmire. Especially when they break out the "your liberal professors taught you that" card (even though I graduated from college a year ago)

Jabronium

And then we get stuff like this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-altman-interview-trump-supporters-2017-2

A couple of choice excerpts:
I'm a Jewish libertarian who's [sic] grandparents were Holocaust survivors. Over the last few years, the mainstream left has resorted to name-calling and character assassination, instead of debate, any time their positions are questioned. This atmosphere became extremely oppressive and threatening to people, like myself, who disagreed with many of Obama's policies over the past several years. Intelligent debate has become rare.

Based on Trump's history before politics I don't believe he is racist, sexist, homophobic, or bigoted. If that were true, it would supersede everything else.

I...what? These people are seriously disconnected from reality. I am terrified for this country's future.

xinek

This finally got me to go subscribe to the Washington Post and NYT (the NYT has an option where you can also get a NYT crossword sub and a premium spotify sub, so cool). It feels great to give these guys money. Instead of reading neogaf and twitter on my train commutes, I'm going to be giving clicks to journalists and participating in the toxic comment sections. Every little bit of participation and resistance will help.

RDreamer

Wait, I thought the media was FAKE NEWS? Which is it? I can't decide for myself so I hope the President helps me figure out what's really true!

If it's negative about Trump, it's fake news. If it's positive it's real and the mainstream media isn't talking enough about it.

Dehnus

Nope you underestimated the "Always attack never defend!" dogma of the Right :). Never attack your own, always attack the left and when they attack you don't defend but attack right back even if it is in childish fashion.

Case and point:
Fake news.
Fake news was used by the liberals in the USA to make a proper point about lies from sites like Breitbart. The right took it, and kept repeating it over and over and over about CNN and credible news sources. The fans that Trump has will believe that as they already have been conditioned that "CNN is filled with liberals, that want to take our country away!". Ergo Fake news has become ineffectual and has become a weapon for the Right.

It is that simple, always attack never defend! It is a plan run by the right ever since hte 1960's and it works brilliantly to gain power and to cover up corruption.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I often read these Trump threads and am put off by the constant hyperbole and reaction. However, The Atlantic had a really good article about the ideological foundation of Bannon and many of Trump's more prominent advisors and supporters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nternets-dark-anti-democracy-movement/516243/

It is concerning because these people have the Whitehouse now. It is a self described anti-democracy philosophy that is intent on "blowing the system up". The hatred of the "mainstream media" and the insanity of appointments like Pruitt and DeVos make sense within the context of their goals and beliefs. These people are not Republicans or conservatives in the traditional sense. And some of their beliefs approach overt bigotry and racism, allowing white nationalists to latch on.

But I think the real problem is that they are not wrong about the entrenched corruption and systemic failures of our government. They are not wrong about the divisiveness of identity politics and problems caused by globalization. These issues will continue to galvanize an increasingly large precentage of the population. Democrats, liberals, Republicans, and conservatives need to fight this movement by addressing these issues head on. I think this a major turning point in Western Civilization, for better or worse.

To anyone who is further interested in learning what these people are really about and what they want to achieve, I suggest looking up "neo-reactionary" and the "dark enlightenment". There is a fair amount of ugly in there, but their philosophy is not entirely bankrupt, which is the problem.

I disagree, I think he cares deeply about perception, and not just from an egotistical perspective. We are not his target audience. I recommend reading the Atlantic article I linked.
They ARE the corruption

Yup, they paint everything that not them or their ideology as biased, lies, liberal agenda, liberal indoctrination and brainwashing

Let's just say it makes it really hard to have a conversation with someone who's deep in that quagmire. Especially when they break out the "your liberal professors taught you that" card (even though I graduated from college a year ago)

That never stops, btw. My parents think I was "turned" by liberal professors at USC (a private university with massive tuition) while getting a degree in Business XD

Oh and that was 10 years ago. I got a comment like that during the election.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

This was decades in the making. Trump came along at just the right point and said what everyone was already thinking. They'll only believe information if it comes from "their side", they think the rest of the world is out to fool them. It's paranoia, and one of the reasons why they respond so well to fear.

This was decades in the making. Trump came along at just the right point and said what everyone was already thinking. They'll only believe information if it comes from "their side", they think the rest of the world is out to fool them. It's paranoia, and one of the reasons why they respond so well to fear.

And America is being feed fear for so long now. Fear is good if business. Fear is a great vector for bad policies...

Bishman

This finally got me to go subscribe to the Washington Post and NYT (the NYT has an option where you can also get a NYT crossword sub and a premium spotify sub, so cool). It feels great to give these guys money. Instead of reading neogaf and twitter on my train commutes, I'm going to be giving clicks to journalists and participating in the toxic comment sections. Every little bit of participation and resistance will help.
A lot of us share NYT, WaPo, WSJ, and others here to spark discussions.

Fake news was used by the liberals in the USA to make a proper point about lies from sites like Breitbart. The right took it, and kept repeating it over and over and over about CNN and credible news sources. The fans that Trump has will believe that as they already have been conditioned that "CNN is filled with liberals, that want to take our country away!". Ergo Fake news has become ineffectual and has become a weapon for the Right.

"Fake news" is the Right's equivalent of somebody calling you a "troll" or "fanboy" for not liking the same games as them.

HotHamBoy

The white house doesn't even need to get stats from its own government, random forum trolls do enough to feed his ego and spread disinformation.

And just like that, tomorrow it's fact to a good portion of his followers. The 1984 comparisons seemed hyperbolic but this is exactly what the ministry of truth was built for.

2 + 2 = 5

Nope you underestimated the "Always attack never defend!" dogma of the Right :). Never attack your own, always attack the left and when they attack you don't defend but attack right back even if it is in childish fashion.

Case and point:
Fake news.

It is that simple, always attack never defend! It is a plan run by the right ever since hte 1960's and it works brilliantly to gain power and to cover up corruption.

This is something I realized but I don't see being pointed out very much. By calling everything Fake News they've not only undermined legitimate news organizations, they've stripped the phrase of any value in calling out actual bullshit.

They ARE the corruption

I would say that their movement is deeply flawed in its prescription (I am pro Democracy and Libralism), and that many of their core beliefs are rooted in ignorance, but I don't think such sentiments are helpful. Trump, the alt right, nationalism, and neo-reactionism are representative of something real that is happening across the world. I recommend this really good Ted talk about some of the larger issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szt7f5NmE9E

I think these issues are serious and need to be addressed in meaningful ways by the establishment, traditional conservatives, and more liberal people. They are not "reacting" to imagined slights. The issues are real and we need to take them seriously. Otherwise this movement will continue to grow and become more belligerent and ethnocentric. At some point the people who want to "blow the system up" will give real life to that mantra.

Real as they are, those monkeys sound like the kind of folks who take Witch House/Vaporwave seriously.

Those monkeys are in the Whitehouse though....

t0va

I would say that their movement is deeply flawed in its prescription (I am pro Democracy and Libralism), and that many of their core beliefs are rooted in ignorance, but I don't think such sentiments are helpful. Trump, the alt right, nationalism, and neo-reactionism are representative of something real that is happening across the world. I recommend this really good Ted talk about some of the larger issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szt7f5NmE9E

I think these issues are serious and need to be addressed in meaningful ways by the establishment, traditional conservatives, and more liberal people. They are not "reacting" to imagined slights. The issues are real and we need to take them seriously. Otherwise this movement will continue to grow and become more belligerent and ethnocentric. At some point the people who want to "blow the system up" will give real life to that mantra.

Those monkeys are in the Whitehouse though....

Great TED talk, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom