• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Owzers

Where are my overwatch Halloween skins and trump presidency? Both are totally still happening right? They should give Roadhog a Trump skin so he can hook people by the...wherever.

TheFlow

Banned
this community

200_s.gif

New Gods or they could get really wild and announce what they have been hinting at and give us a Watchmen book in the current DCU.

Imagine. New Gods. Mignola arrives on stage. Those sketches were a leak. Of course he's writing AND drawing a new gods book. He was never painting for a year, he has no idea why anyone believed that. He HATES painting.

The Power Rangers Trailer is so horrible

Oh wow haha that is so much worse than I think I could have imagined.

Lol yah gotta chill on Young animal. We got 2 issues so far from the brand and a couple of you guys are already tripping. the books are not meant for everyone. So if it wasn't for you cool, but the books are going to do fine whether you like them or not.

Alternatively, I'll keep critiquing the books however the hell I please. It's rather hypocritical for your to tell two of us with a negative first impression to chill out, especially when you've failed to provide a counter narrative other than a typical 4/5 or 5/5 score that I see you give...every book?

Your opinion is no more valuable than ours, and you certainly aren't adding anything to the discussion. Future responses like "hop off my dick, ayyye lmao" like you just did will lead to me reporting you. We have fun in this thread and I'm perfectly fine when people ribbing on me and others. I am not okay with your toxic responses.

I don't know why emulating or being inspired by another writer/s is a bad thing either, but you initially said ultra derivative, which I think we can both agree has a negative connotation, especially since you kind of walk back here but in your next post to Echo you kind of go back in haha. If we can't agree that's what you meant by it then I don't really have any interest in debating what your word choice means rather than his writing itself. Like I said man, I don't agree but I respected your honestly on it (I thought it was funny that we were vice versa on the music/writing.

I don't think I walked anything back. I mean, I'm not going to find a quote from Way where he literally says his work is derivative, but I think it is. I think where I'm not being too clear is I don't think derivative work is always bad. For example, I like a few My Chemical Romance songs, and my favorite has the least veiled Freddie Mercury/Queen moment of any song I've ever heard. It's 100% derivative...but I love it.

I love the band The Watchmen, and some of the songs actually feel like Hamilton Leithauser is straight up riffing on the Boss, down to his enunciation, vocal affect, and tone. And I love it, because I'm a huge Springsteen fan and I'm perfectly happy with modern bands going for his sound. Hell, the only song by The Killers that I'm crazy about (Runaways) is Springsteen right down to the lyrics, with some minor electronic tinges tossed in for good measure.

All that to say I don't mean derivative in a particularly harsh sense, even though I recognize most people likely use the word that way. I need to stick with emulative or something instead.

TheFlow

Banned
Alternatively, I'll keep critiquing the books however the hell I please. It's rather hypocritical for your to tell two of us with a negative first impression to chill out, especially when you've failed to provide a counter narrative other than a typical 4/5 or 5/5 score that I see you give...every book?

Your opinion is no more valuable than ours, and you certainly aren't adding anything to the discussion. Future responses like "hop off my dick, ayyye lmao" like you just did will lead to me reporting you. We have fun in this thread and I'm perfectly fine when people ribbing on me and others. I am not okay with your toxic responses.

I don't think I walked anything back. I mean, I'm not going to find a quote from Way where he literally says his work is derivative, but I think it is. I think where I'm not being too clear is I don't think derivative work is always bad. For example, I like a few My Chemical Romance songs, and my favorite has the least veiled Freddie Mercury/Queen moment of any song I've ever heard. It's 100% derivative...but I love it.

I love the band The Watchmen, and some of the songs actually feel like Hamilton Leithauser is straight up riffing on the Boss, down to his enunciation, vocal affect, and tone. And I love it, because I'm a huge Springsteen fan and I'm perfectly happy with modern bands going for his sound. Hell, the only song by The Killers that I'm crazy about (Runaways) is Springsteen right down to the lyrics, with some minor electronic tinges tossed in for good measure.

All that to say I don't mean derivative in a particularly harsh sense, even though I recognize most people likely use the word that way. I need to stick with emulative or something instead.
Reporting me? Lol you are the biggest cry baby lol

-snipped for length-

All that to say I don't mean derivative in a particularly harsh sense, even though I recognize most period likely use the word that way. I need to stick with emulative or something instead.

Ah cool, I think I get you more man, I just read derivative and emulating or inspired by differently so I got kind of confused where you were even coming from, and it did kind of read like you were rolling back and forth on your point as a result.

I could get right into the nature of being inspired, channeling others etc., and how much it can be a good thing, or a trap, but at the end of the day, whether he's like anyone else or not doesn't really come into why I like him. I judge his work as I've read it, and I like it. I can break that down in its bubble, but I think anyone else he may be using as a jumping off point is having a far larger effect on the reading experience for you than it is me.

Also, it's worth reminding for context & as a reminder, I am a tradereader, and my initial thing I wrote was "I don't like his music much, but I like his writing". I haven't touched the YA stuff, I can't judge that and the two volumes I've read by Way previously only infer that I really like those and thus like his writing at this point in time. It's not enough of a body of work to say I'll love Doom Patrol for sure (although I haven't no reason to assume otherwise at this point).

Sandfox

Perez talked about Nova, which he is drawing and co-writing with Jeff Loveness, and which features a resurrected Richard Rider teaming up with Sam Alexander. Perez said one of his biggest influences on the book was Nextwave.

Lewis said he brought Perez and Loveness together because he wanted "something special."

"We went through some pretty painstaking conversations in the office to make sure bringing back Rich Rider felt right."

Fans applauded loudly for Richard Rider's return.

Reporting me? Lol you are the biggest cry baby lol

I've been called far worse by far better people.

Ah cool, I think I get you more man, I just read derivative and emulating or inspired by differently so I got kind of confused where you were even coming from, and it did kind of read like you were rolling back and forth on your point as a result.

I could get right into the nature of being inspired, channeling others etc., and how much it can be a good thing, or a trap, but at the end of the day, whether he's like anyone else or not doesn't really come into why I like him. I judge his work as I've read it, and I like it. I can break that down in its bubble, but I think anyone else he may be using as a jumping off point is having a far larger effect on the reading experience for you than it is me.

Also, it's worth reminding for context & as a reminder, I am a tradereader, and my initial thing I wrote was "I don't like his music much, but I like his writing". I haven't touched the YA stuff, I can't judge that and the two volumes I've read by Way previously only infer that I really like those and thus like his writing at this point in time. It's not enough of a body of work to say I'll love Doom Patrol for sure (although I haven't no reason to assume otherwise at this point).

I got you, man.

My distaste for Doom Patrol #1 has nothing to do with it feeling derivative, since I've purchased but haven't read the Morrison run. Debating about doing that later this year or to kick off next year. Overall, I like Morrison, but he wears me out over the course of a longer series.

I'm not sold on Way's Doom Patrol because...what the fuck did I even read? It feels like he brainstormed a nice, accessible, more linear start, then intentionally did the direct opposite at every step of the way.

I'm going to give Shade girl a shot later today and see if it works for me.

"We are bringing back the boxing glove on the [arrow]." - Juan Ferreyra

The best book.

17:24
"We are going to see that Damian is struggling to be a leader. The only way this team is going to survive is really Starfire." - Percy

17:23
"He's got this armor but there are cracks in it. He's bringing the team together in the worst possible way but he has good intentions." - Percy

17:23
"The first arc belongs to Damian Wayne - that little tyrant. The first line of Teen Titan is "I am alone." The last word is "together." And that's a stand-in for the whole arc." - Percy

17:22
"We looked toward the Geoff Johns omnibus and the Wolfman/Perez runs as the touchstones for the Teen Titans." - Percy

All sounds good.

Owzers

I didn't really like Wytches vol 1, it was kinda neat but i didn't end up caring about the family and the wytchiness surrounding it didn't carry the book. Not sure how i felt about it, but also didn't really want to read more after it ended.

Also, I pledge Harley.

tim1138

This panel blows so far, talk about the next wave of titles please.

11:53
Williamson's original [Flash] pitch was turned down by Dan DiDio.

Maybe he should have turned his second pitch as well

Sandfox

Ramon said Nova would be very cosmic, joking "I like space. I don't like Arizona."

Perez said the time spent at home and spent in space would be well balanced.
This is already better than the previous run.

tim1138

I'm not following it, is that going to be on the panel for sure or are we just hoping?

It's called DC Rebirth: What's Next, so that seemed like the logical panel where they'd be announcing new stuff not just recapping a handful of existing books (which is what they're doing). Lame panel is lame.

Sandfox

A fan named Ben clarified that he is "not an uncle," but could not confirm whether he was a clone. He asked about Alpha. Slott said "I hated Alpha!" before saying the character had recently come up in a planning summit.
He was brought up in this very thread two days ago lol.

We called and asked you to do Deathstroke and what did you say?

"I said, 'Is he Black?" - Priest

Malyse

Young Justice Volume 2 is terrible. It's basically "fuck you if you aren't/didn't watch the show, you're just gonna miss that plot point."

Top Bottom