• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Black Rose Valkyrie for PS4

This looks great and a step to the side of their normal lineup. Really digging the traitor concept and hope they use it to tell a good story.

It's funny. Your quotes could describe every Compile Hearts game, too.

No wonder the criticisms are always the same.

The criticisms are always the same because people like you come into every single one of these threads and shit on them after only having played a single one of their games, or not playing any of them and doing nothing but parroting others. Unless you're wanting to say that you've played several of them and think they're all trash, in which case i'd ask what compelled you to do so without liking something about them.

If the company name or the artstyle being anime (welcome to Japanese games) is enough to make you feel the need to shitpost, then maybe don't even enter the thread in the first place? You knew what to expect before entering, why even waste time posting?

Huh. Certainly didn't expect this. Diversifying the portfolio or something? New IP allowing them someone on-staff to try a different tone?

The criticisms are always the same because people like you come into every single one of these threads and shit on them after only having played a single one of their games, or not playing any of them and doing nothing but parroting others. Unless you're wanting to say that you've played several of them and think they're all trash, in which case i'd ask what compelled you to do so without liking something about them.

If the company name or the artstyle being anime (welcome to Japanese games) is enough to make you feel the need to shitpost, then maybe don't even enter the thread in the first place? You knew what to expect before entering, why even waste time posting?

This bolded phrase makes this post especially depressing.

Squalor

I think you meant "Welcome to this company's brand of Japanese game."

It's ridiculous for you to ascribe this kind of senselessness to all Japanese developers and producers.

I think you meant "Welcome to this company's brand of Japanese game."

It's ridiculous for you to ascribe this kind of senselessness to all Japanese developers and producers.

I didn't know that I said anything about game design choices, could have sworn I was talking about artstyle for what you're quoting me on. I didn't know that having a moe artstyle automatically made something trash, especially since Compile Heart is hardly the only Japanese company that uses said artstyle.

Again I would ask what exactly it is that you're trying to accomplish by coming in here and wasting the time to shit post about something you clearly have an all encompassing opinion of already? It doesn't exactly add to any kind of discussion when you have nothing to say other than "meh this company only makes shit".

FStubbs

Kosuke Fujishima art, mid-20th century, guy leads harem of girls to fighting monsters, anachronism stew ...

... all we need are steampunk mecha and we'll have off-brand Sakura Wars!

RM8

It'd be cool to see Compile Heart doing something less... Compile Heart-like, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

KdylanR92

Man i'm not gonna lie, I every time I see Compile Heart all I think is "weeaboo garbage" and keep scrolling but something about this caught my eye.

It might be the randomized aspect or just the idea of having one of your teammate that you go through the game with actually be a Traitor, I thinks that's a really cool concept and one that's not often used in video games.

Kosuke Fujishima art, mid-20th century, guy leads harem of girls to fighting monsters, anachronism stew ...

I'll take whatever Sakura Wars game I can get, even knock-off ones.

Cheerilee

I heard Sakura Wars is part dating-sim. Pass. I don't want to get a criminal record.

Xerotwo

tumblr_nh3rehLQ3z1qav3uso8_r1_500.gif

Why does that remind me of that one scene from The Cell with Jennifer Lopez. You know, THAT one scene with the horse?

For those that are complaining about one guy & five girls, just what is wrong with it? It's not like it hasn't happened before in games or in animes.

I was with you until this sentence. There's no need to generalize that all Japanese games are like that, because they certainly aren't.

I was with you until this sentence. There's no need to generalize that all Japanese games are like that, because they certainly aren't.

No need to generalize that almost every game that comes out of Japan has an anime aesthetic? I don't really think that's far from the truth depending on what you consider to be "anime".

The "company name" was more for Compile Heart since it's clear that some are instantly turned off by seeing it (see this thread). The "anime artstyle" was more for everything, not just CH (if I wanted it to be for CH then I would have said blob). You constantly see people who will say "I don't like jrpgs because of their artstyle", who lump them all together because of how they look, because of their "anime aesthetic". I don't consider it wrong to say "welcome to Japanese games" if someone is just now noticing that trend in aesthetic and gets turned off by it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not only is it turn based
Not only does it have a 20th century aesthetic
Not only does it have an interesting traitor system

But it also doesn't overdo it on the moe. This game must be localized.

Not only is it turn based
Not only does it have a 20th century aesthetic
Not only does it have an interesting traitor system

But it also doesn't overdo it on the moe. This game must be localized.
would be kind of dumb to produce it under the label Idea Factory International and then only release it in Japan

KDR_11k

The traitor mechanic sounds a bit like Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising though that based the traitor on how much corrupting influence the characters suffered rather than pure RNG (and generally had a lot of temptation stuff like getting extra powers or powerful gear by giving in to the corruption of the Warp).

Brew124

I don't think we have to worry about this getting localized. Idea Factory is usually very good on localizing their titles, and it's typically been sometime within a year of the Japanese release.

bobawesome

Yeah, I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise if you think "investigating properly" is anything but a bad excuse for molesting those heroines.

So we're just making shit up now, huh? Please point everyone to a CH game where this happens.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with CH, I find their games to be very repetitive and grindy, with dreadfully low production values, terrible dungeon design and confusing systems. But I'm always willing to give them a chance, and apparently they are getting better?

Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with CH, I find their games to be very repetitive and grindy, with dreadfully low production values, terrible dungeon design and confusing systems. But I'm always willing to give them a chance, and apparently they are getting better?
Yeah that's not far from the truth. Talking about the Neptunia games, they're "light"-JRPGs with half of the appeal coming from the characters and the setting. I expect this one to be a bit more meaty, gameplay wise

JoseLopez

To be fair most compile heart games have moe designs but not this game.

kotodama

If it's from the Rebirth series, then I can see that. They kind of did shit those out real quick, but even though there was improvements in each iteration of that. The battle dynamics from 1 to 3, while familiar are vastly different with just the SP gauge change for example. I'm intrigued to see what they've done with V-II. I can't imagine how the original Neptunia games played, but it'd be fun to see the evolution. I imagine this will be another evolution still.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I like the character designs here, but given that this is a Compile Heart game I sense a trap...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
For those that are complaining about one guy & five girls, just what is wrong with it? It's not like it hasn't happened before in games or in animes.
Its tiring. JRPG parties used to be diverse? Now its bland nameless faceless self-insert dude and half a dozen different tropey females. Besides wheres the 1 female x 5+ male rpg crews? FFXV... maybe o.o?

Taruranto

If I didn't know better I'd have assumed it was a new Tales game. Dat Fujishima~

Actually scratch that. Costumes way too subdued for a Tales game.

Fujishima style for Tales of is usually pretty tame, his only fanservice character I think of is Judith. It's usually Inomata (ironically) who design improbable clothes. <_<

Its tiring. JRPG parties used to be diverse? Now its bland nameless faceless self-insert dude and half a dozen different tropey females. Besides wheres the 1 female x 5+ male rpg crews? FFXV... maybe o.o?
Can you list some JRPG parties that are like that? I have a hard time coming up with more than a few

Cold Steel: Even split
FFXV: All male
Star Ocean 5: 3 guys 4 girls

Persona and Tales games seem about evenly split as well

Top Bottom