• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The Nintendo Switch is powered by an Nvidia Tegra X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

Not every graphical operation can be efficiently tiled, though. And even if most are, any intermediate buffers must pass though the bus in their entirety at some point.

The bolded isn't true. Assuming Switch is using Vulkan (or a Vulkan derivative) as its main API, then intermediate buffers can be implemented as attachments (rather than RTT), which can be created, operated on and deleted entirely in cache, without ever hitting main memory.

Also, the comparison is probably direct for Scorpio, and perhaps for PS4 Pro.

PS4 Pro doesn't use TBR. Scorpio might, but I haven't read through everything announced today to see if there's any comment on it.

The bolded isn't true. Assuming Switch is using Vulkan (or a Vulkan derivative) as its main API, then intermediate buffers can be implemented as attachments (rather than RTT), which can be created, operated on and deleted entirely in cache, without ever hitting main memory.
Aren't we pretty sure that Switch is not using a Vulkan derivative as its main API? I thought it's using a proprietary Nvidia API ("NVN"?).

Thraktor

Aren't we pretty sure that Switch is not using a Vulkan derivative as its main API? I thought it's using a proprietary Nvidia API ("NVN"?).

My money is on NVN being a lightly extended version of Vulkan. Custom APIs like Nintendo's GX and Sony's GNM have generally been based on OpenGL in the past, and there's not nearly as much to change about Vulkan if you're using it as a base. Nintendo have also got Switch certified as conformant to Vulkan, and sit on Khronos's Vulkan working group. That's not something they'd be likely to do if Vulkan was only a lightly supported optional API (akin to OpenGL on their previous devices).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Handheld mode runs at a higher framerate, which could explain what the higher bandwidth/pixel is being used for. That said, neither of us know the amount of time each mode spends below the target resolution. It seems presumptuous for you to say there's definitely no evidence of bandwidth bottlenecking.
There's no evidence of BW starvation any more than there's evidence of ALU starvation, any more than there's an evidence of command-buffer starvation, any more than there's evidence of the engine lead having had a bad case of a hangover. I hope I've made myself clear.

I stand corrected. If such a simple solution is available, why don't other architectures do the same?
They do (and it's not simple by far).

I was referring to the
Korok Forest
, with lots of lighting shafts and very dense foliage (which I assume fades at draw distance and to keep the camera clear).

<snip>
As for the latter point, there obviously were demanding scenes that consistently stayed below target before this patch. That's how Digital Foundry knew exactly where to go to stresstest framerate! The patch has improved things, but those areas still run consistently more poorly than elsewhere.
Korok Forest
has a hard time hitting target even after patching. And while
Kakariko Village
shows intermittent fps drops in the video, DF didn't actually run the hardest test there, which they do show for the WiiU version. Had they done the same, would Switch also stay below target more continuously?
Neither of those cases given 'clear examples of BW starvation'. Just because it's not strictly higher blending rates that they exhibit over other areas in the game, but also notably higher geometry rates. Also, while any GPU could be BW starved with the 'right' approach, alpha effects per se would not be a good candidate for that on the TX1, for reasons I already explained. You'd need a technique that requires the tile to get resolved to RAM before readback.

No. Have you profiled Zelda any way other than in your head?
No, and I don't claim to have in my head, either.

Also, it seems that bandwidth/pixel is a meaningful technical measure. Here's what that looks like:

Switch(docked): 17.8 kB/s/px
WiiU: 20.8 kB/s/px
Xbox 360: 24.3 kB/s/px
Switch(undocked): 27.8 kB/s/px
PS3: 27.8+ kB/s/px
PS4 Pro(average): 42.9 kB/s/px
Scorpio(average): 65.3 kB/s/px
Xbox One: ?
PS4: 84.9 kB/s/px

This clearly shows Switch to have far less bandwidth/pixel than other current machines. Indeed, in docked mode it's far the worst (and would be even lower if I calculated for 1080p instead of 900p), suggesting once more that portable performance is what it was really designed for.
BW/pixel comparison would be meaningful if it used correct figures. Your analysis above does not.

XINTSUAI

Neo Member
Switch has a much better CPU and 3x much RAM available for games than the Wii U. Switch's much more modern GPU should easily edge it out over the Wii U(especially Nvidia flop efficiency over AMD), and that doesn't include mixed precision mode for flops.

If they were hitting 45-50fps consistently, they could have used a higher resolution imho.
They can't do both unless they sacrifice some graphical fidelity. Frame rates and resolution both separately take up significant processing power from the GPU(more so for resolution).

Its going to get real interesting when we see multiplayer AAA games on switch go head with ps4 and xbone and see Switch work around bandwidth issues. I don't think Snake Pass is a particularly bandwidth heavy game.

It has a more modern GPU, but what can we say about its Cpu? X360 has 3 cores Risc at 3.2 GHz, WiiU has 3 cores at 1.3 GHz Risc... Switch has 4 cores Arm at 1 GHz... And only 3 of them are avaliable to run the game.

I would like to know how many gigaflops do each A57 Core at 1Ghz, the X360 Cpu does 100 Gflops and the Cell processor 200 +-

Now days we have smartphones with the same A57 running with almost 2x the processing power than the switch version, even the shield CPU which runs at 2Ghz wasn't able to run Tomb Raider on the same level than the X360, even with 6 times more Ram and a GPU with at least 2X more power (on the paper) even being deeply optimized by Nvidia.

So for me, the biggests bottlenecks of Switch are memory bandwidth and its CPU.

Aroll

Serious question:

Why are we using a Wii U port as any sort of means to discuss Switch capabilities? We're talking about an engine built from the ground up for a very different type of system in terms of hardware setup and one that clearly never got fully optimized before release (hence recent patch improving fps).

I don't think it's fair to use a game like that. Better to wait until we get the big titles literally built for the system. Splatoon 2, Mario, whatever third party game.

We've seen games ported to
PS4 and Xbox One from PS3/360 that also has performance problems. It's just not a good way to hold discussions like this. I know, it's really all we have ATM. But still, there are a million and one ways to explain why it's smoother in handheld mode and only Nintendo has that answer. Whatever it is, it's likely not indicative of anything. We already have seen other games run worse in handheld versus docked.

Best to let this one rest until we have a native game that pushes it.

KtSlime

Serious question:

Why are we using a Wii U port as any sort of means to discuss Switch capabilities? We're talking about an engine built from the ground up for a very different type of system in terms of hardware setup and one that clearly never got fully optimized before release (hence recent patch improving fps).

I don't think it's fair to use a game like that. Better to wait until we get the big titles literally built for the system. Splatoon 2, Mario, whatever third party game.

PS4 and Xbox One from PS3/360 that also has performance problems. It's just not a good way to hold discussions like this. I know, it's really all we have ATM. But still, there are a million and one ways to explain why it's smoother in handheld mode and only Nintendo has that answer. Whatever it is, it's likely not indicative of anything. We already have seen other games run worse in handheld versus docked.

Because it helps drive the narrative that the Switch is woefully underpowered and has unresolvable problems from its very start for some people.

It has a more modern GPU, but what can we say about its Cpu? X360 has 3 cores Risc at 3.2 GHz, WiiU has 3 cores at 1.3 GHz Risc... Switch has 4 cores Arm at 1 GHz... And only 3 of them are avaliable to run the game.

I would like to know how many gigaflops do each A57 Core at 1Ghz, the X360 Cpu does 100 Gflops and the Cell processor 200 +-

Now days we have smartphones with the same A57 running with almost 2x the processing power than the switch version, even the shield CPU which runs at 2Ghz wasn't able to run Tomb Raider on the same level than the X360, even with 6 times more Ram and a GPU with at least 2X more power (on the paper) even being deeply optimized by Nvidia.

I'm not an expert but I believe A57s are quite a bit more capable than what was in the Wii U, let alone the 360 at that clock rate. I believe an insider named Matt told us that the Switch will be less CPU constrained than the PS4 or XB1 are in general.

Also be reminded that smartphone CPUs running at higher speeds (and the Shield TV) throttle those CPUs where a dedicated gaming system cannot do so. So we don't actually know if these smartphones can outperform the Switch CPU given 2.5-6 hours of battery life.

Serious question:

To be fair Zelda is the biggest and most technically impressive game yet on the system, so it's understandable that people will judge the hardware by this game. You're absolutely right that it isn't showing the potential of the hardware but gamers/forum goers are impatient, so it's hard to wait for other titles built from the ground up to make conclusions.

Nintendo already confirmed that the game was not optimized for the switch at all before the patch. If there was more time for the switch version, or if it was built from the ground up on switch than vice versa, it would be a lot better. Or maybe Nintendo doesn't want to alienate fans and have two versions as close as possible like TP on cube and Wii? Its probably a combination of a lazy port job and that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Nintendo already confirmed that the game was not optimized for the switch at all before the patch. If there was more time for the switch version, or if it was built from the ground up on switch than vice versa, it would be a lot better. Or maybe Nintendo doesn't want to alienate fans and have two versions as close as possible like TP on cube and Wii? Its probably a combination of a lazy port job and that.

Nintendo is guilty of a lot of things, and they can be boneheaded and do baffling things, but I highly doubt they were lazy with the Switch port. With the kind of investment that went into the game and it being a launch title for their new system, they probably went above and beyond but were deadline-constrained. That's why we saw a stability patch so soon after the release of the game.

As Skittzo said, the game is easily the Wii U's most ambitious title. Not only that, but some of the stuff it does you rarely see on the PS4 and XBox even, like the way grass is handled. I can imagine they had to employ a lot of tricks to get that much out of the system, and they had to optimize everything for the way the Wii U hardware is designed. It was probably very hard to port the game to a system with a radically different architecture and two different modes.

What's weird though is how the game runs better in handheld mode than docked mode.

BDGAME

Here is how I will predict things will go down in the next couple of years

Fall 2017
-Scorpio comes out $400-450
- PS4 Pro discounted to $350. PS4 PRO slim also comes out with 4k blue ray playback for $400

Q1 2018
-Switch comes with 16nm Pascal chip. Extends battery life to 4.5 to 8 hours.

Q4 2018
-PS4 pro at $300 and Scorpio at $350. Sony and MS start to prioritize their mid Gen upgrades over base models.

Sometime in 2019
-Switch with X3/xavier variant with 8GB DDR5 RAM and A73 CPU besting ps4 CPU by 1.5 to 1.75x(what we initially predicted for switch lool) 7nm node. Battery life at 4-8 hrs
Handheld mode easily matches xbone games at 720p(400-500 gflops at fp32)while docked mode gives OG PS4 a run for its money in GPU when counting newer architecture and mixed precision mode.

2019-2020 is when ps5 may come out though, though more like a xbone to Scorpio upgrade. 16-20 TFLOPs seem crazy 3 years from now though(actually 10-15 sounds reasonable) Can't imagine RAM and CPU with a huge upgrade either. Maybe 16GB RAM?

This doesn't count rumored SCD (or even home console)for switch at ps4 pro power though, or handheld focused 2ds like variant with non detachable controls.

Do you believe that Tegra Xavier can be stronger than Ps4? I mean, even Tegra Parker don't do 1 TFlops at FP32.

How stronger that chip will need be to surpass a Ps4?

Nintendo is guilty of a lot of things, and they can be boneheaded and do baffling things, but I highly doubt they were lazy with the Switch port. With the kind of investment that went into the game and it being a launch title for their new system, they probably went above and beyond but were deadline-constrained. That's why we saw a stability patch so soon after the release of the game.

As Skittzo said, the game is easily the Wii U's most ambitious title. Not only that, but some of the stuff it does you rarely see on the PS4 and XBox even, like the way grass is handled. I can imagine they had to employ a lot of tricks to get that much out of the system, and they had to optimize everything for the way the Wii U hardware is designed. It was probably very hard to port the game to a system with a radically different architecture and two different modes.

What's weird though is how the game runs better in handheld mode than docked mode.
Not so much lazy in the sense that they didn't put work into it, but they rushed it and its not optimized.

Do you believe that Tegra Xavier can be stronger than Ps4? I mean, even Tegra Parker don't do 1 TFlops at FP32.

How stronger that chip will need be to surpass a Ps4?
I dunno. Whatever true successor we get to Pascal and uses like a 7nm node that can do 1 to 1.25 TFLOPS, should be able to trade blows with PS4 when you factor newer hardware efficiency and mixed precision mode. This I also assuming they use the same amount of bandwidth, amount of RAM and CPU power

No. This is a complete misunderstanding.

Of course they put in work optimizing the code to run as well as they could in the given time on the Switch version. They were saying the engine and visuals weren't optimized for the Switch in that infamous slide IE: no added effects or whatever.

Peltz

Serious question:

From the looks of things, Splatoon 2 may be working off a ported Wii U engine too. I'd wager that ARMS or Mario Odyssey would be the fairest titles to judge in the first year.

Naw. The A57s in the Switch are a lot more similar to the Jaguars (and "Jaguar evolved" in Scorpio) than the chips from the previous generation. Those chips were clocked a lot higher than the ones in the current consoles, but they generally not nearly as good. At 1020MHz, the individual cores in Switch are roughly close to the Jaguars in the PS4 in performance. If developers are able to utilize all 6+ cores for gaming in the PS4 (which may may not be close to the case with some game engines like the previous versions of Unity), the Switch can do about half of that with its 3 cores. It would have been nice if Nintendo was able to clock the CPU higher, but it is still much better than the tiny CPU in the Wii U.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm not an expert but I believe A57s are quite a bit more capable than what was in the Wii U, let alone the 360 at that clock rate. I believe an insider named Matt told us that the Switch will be less CPU constrained than the PS4 or XB1 are in general.

Also be reminded that smartphone CPUs running at higher speeds (and the Shield TV) throttle those CPUs where a dedicated gaming system cannot do so. So we don't actually know if these smartphones can outperform the Switch CPU given 2.5-6 hours of battery life.

here's the Tegra benchmarks for ubuntu. Here's someone else pegging jaguars vs the A57. The cpu in single threaded task is stronger. IPC is no joke either, just not amazing or what you find in overclocking territory with strong pcs.

Not too shabby overall. Problem with switch is the gpu grunt and lack of bandwidth.

Pasedo

So was just thinking. Is there evidence in Switch that Nintendo progressed from some of the hardware weaknesses of Wii U. From memory I think developers were complaining about weak CPU and bandwidth. You would think these were the things they would put more effort to improve in Switch but it seems from comments in here by the technically minded that it's not the case.

here's the Tegra benchmarks for ubuntu. Here's someone else pegging jaguars vs the A57. The cpu in single threaded task is stronger. IPC is no joke either, just not amazing or what you find in overclocking territory with strong pcs.

Not too shabby overall. Problem with switch is the gpu grunt and lack of bandwidth.

Hey LCGeek. How well can most current game engines handle properly splitting tasks among 6+ cores? It was my understanding that previous versions of Unity, for example, made it difficult to even use 1.5 cores.

It's not news at this point seeing how botw performs better on wii u :/
Not true even before the patch.

Naw. The A57s in the Switch are a lot more similar to the Jaguars (and "Jaguar evolved" in Scorpio) than the chips from the previous generation. Those chips were clocked a lot higher than the ones in the current consoles, but they generally not nearly as good. At 1020MHz, the individual cores in Switch are roughly close to the Jaguars in the PS4 in performance. If developers are able to utilize all 6+ cores for gaming in the PS4 (which may may not be close to the case with some game engines like the previous versions of Unity), the Switch can do about half of that with its 3 cores. It would have been nice if Nintendo was able to clock the CPU higher, but it is still much better than the tiny CPU in the Wii U.

I dont think they are equal at only 1ghz

Pasedo

From how I understand Nintendo following them through the the years, they set a target for graphics e.g. fidelity, experience etc and then build the hardware around it. Their targets for Wii U were set because they believed in diminishing returns and that providing more graphical grunt did not weigh up in terms incremental perceived enhancement vs the cost. Obviously the higher the expectations the more cost comes into it. It seems they still believe in this and simply don't care about meeting a target for AAA high fidelity graphics that 3rd parties focus on. Their target for Switch seems to be set for their 1st party games and Indie development. If we're lucky we also get some previous gen ports. To them balancing is more important.

No. This is a complete misunderstanding.

Of course they put in work optimizing the code to run as well as they could in the given time on the Switch version. They were saying the engine and visuals weren't optimized for the Switch in that infamous slide IE: no added effects or whatever.
I didn't say they didn't put work in it. What you're saying us what I mean. They literally ported the Wii U version on to the switch, and brute forced it on switch. They made it working with better framerate and slightly better resolution, though considering the Wii u is 4x as powerful, they could have done more if given more than 10 months. . Not that I'm really complaining.. Zelda is great on switch, though has some hiccups.
Mario kart 8 deluxe and Fast RMX are good showcases of improvements of Wii u ports.

Hermii

So was just thinking. Is there evidence in Switch that Nintendo progressed from some of the hardware weaknesses of Wii U. From memory I think developers were complaining about weak CPU and bandwidth. You would think these were the things they would put more effort to improve in Switch but it seems from comments in here by the technically minded that it's not the case.

The cpu is much more modern and capable than whats in the Wii U. Bandwidth is limited, but that comes with the territory of mobile hardware. Arguably where Nintendo has made the most progress since Wii U is in the area of development software, tools, APIs, middleware etc. Indies are already loving developing for it. The architecture also has a promising future should they go the incremental upgrade route which is very likely Imo. Nvidia just announced the TX2 with more than double ram bandwidth and a bunch of other improvements, and the Volta based Xavier Tegra is expected to be a much more significant upgrade.

I have one questions to those with technical understanding. People are always assuming future Switch-like System might use Tegra Xavier. But from what I understand the idea behind Xavier is to make a much larger SoC with 8 Custom-ARM-CPUs. Anandtech assumes a die sizes nearly 300mm² big.

Wouldn't that chip way to large for a Switch succesor? I mean the X1 is around half that size.

Thats the self driving car version, assuming they will make a scaled down version meant for mobile devices it wont be that large.

The cpu is much more modern and capable than whats in the Wii U. Bandwidth is limited, but that comes with the territory of mobile hardware. Arguably where Nintendo has made the most progress since Wii U is in the area of development software, tools, APIs, middleware etc. Indies are already loving developing for it. The architecture also has a promising future should they go the incremental upgrade route which is very likely Imo. Nvidia just announced the TX2 with more than double ram bandwidth and a bunch of other improvements, and the Volta based Xavier Tegra is expected to be a much more significant upgrade.

Thats the self driving car version, assuming they will make a scaled down version meant for mobile devices it wont be that large.
If NVIDIA and Nintendo didn't make a deal, I wonder if we would have even seen anymore smaller-scale Tegras. Before now, Tegra's technology's success in the phone/tablet industry was very limited.

There's no evidence of BW starvation any more than there's evidence of ALU starvation, any more than there's an evidence of command-buffer starvation, any more than there's evidence of the engine lead having had a bad case of a hangover. I hope I've made myself clear.
You have. Given that stance, we can conclusively say that it's premature for you to be dismissing people who think Switch is bottlenecked by bandwidth. And it's premature for someone to say that Switch definitely is bottlenecked.

BW/pixel comparison would be meaningful if it used correct figures. Your analysis above does not.
I apologize for the errors, then. Can you please explain what's wrong with the figures?

blu

You have. Given that stance, we can conclusively say that it's premature for you to be dismissing people who think Switch is bottlenecked by bandwidth. And it's premature for someone to say that Switch definitely is bottlenecked.

I apologize for the errors, then. Can you please explain what's wrong with the figures?
Wait, I'm not dismissive of everybody who ever said switch could be BW-limited - as I said, any GPU could be made to hit its BW limits under the right circumstances. I'm dismissive of people who claim switch's GPU performance was BW-limited (and BotW was a 'clear indication' of that) because of that main RAM BW. We have a couple of wiiU up-ports where the switch demonstrates clearly superior BW, and the wiiU (one of the data points in your table) had way more BW than 25GB/s to its fb, and way less BW to its main RAM.

Which takes us to your chart. Let's start with the switch. While 25.6GB/s / 1280x720 is 27.8KB/s, that (a) entirely dismisses the BW to the fb, which again, by virtual of tiling, sits in on-board SRAM, and (b) RAM BW for undocked mode is not 25.6GB/s but 21.3GB/s thanks to RAM clocks dropping by 20% in undocked mode. WiiU - it had 12.8GB/s of BW to its main RAM, but again, way more to its eDRAM (where the fb and other RTs would reside) - either ~35GB/s or ~70GB/s, depending on eDRAM bus width (512-bit or 1024-bit - jury is still out on that). I believe by now you're getting the picture.

Wait, I'm not dismissive of everybody who ever said switch could be BW-limited - as I said, any GPU could be made to hit its BW limits under the right circumstances. I'm dismissive of people who claim switch's GPU performance was BW-limited (and BotW was a 'clear indication' of that) because of that main RAM BW.
Okay. That must mean you think Switch's effective main RAM bandwidth is comparable to other current machines (since otherwise you couldn't dismiss the claim). So see below....

Which takes us to your chart. Let's start with the switch. While 25.6GB/s / 1280x720 is 27.8KB/s, that (a) entirely dismisses the BW to the fb, which again, by virtual of tiling, sits in on-board SRAM, and (b) RAM BW for undocked mode is not 25.6GB/s but 21.3GB/s thanks to RAM clocks dropping by 20% in undocked mode. WiiU - it had 12.8GB/s of BW to its main RAM, but again, way more to its eDRAM (where the fb and other RTs would reside) - either ~35GB/s or ~70GB/s, depending on eDRAM bus width (512-bit or 1024-bit - jury is still out on that). I believe by now you're getting the picture.
Definitely, there are clearly details that my rough calculations didn't capture! But if you can dismiss claims of bandwidth starvation because you know bandwidth is fine, then what is the final effective bandwidth/pixel of Switch? I assume you have to know that it's comparable to PS4 Pro and Scorpio at least, if not standard Xbox One and PS4.

blu

Okay. That must mean you think Switch's effective main RAM bandwidth is comparable to other current machines (since otherwise you couldn't dismiss the claim). So see below....
Sorry, I didn't follow. Which claim?

Definitely, there are clearly details that my rough calculations didn't capture! But if you can dismiss claims of bandwidth starvation because you know bandwidth is fine, then what is the final effective bandwidth/pixel of Switch? I assume you have to know that it's comparable to PS4 Pro and Scorpio at least, if not standard Xbox One and PS4.
We must be talking across each other at this point. I don't know what the Maxwell2 BW in the TX1 is - I've said as much already. What I'm saying is that the 'See, the alpha effects in BotW prove switch is BW-capped at 25.6GB/s' crowd got it wrong. How do I know this? Because the BW available to the GPU is not 25.6GB/s, particularly when it comes to the alpha effects.

Sorry, I didn't follow. Which claim?
The claim that Switch is definitely bandwidth-starved. To categorically dismiss those claims--which you have done--you must know that it isn't bandwidth-starved, right?

We must be talking across each other at this point. I don't know what the Maxwell2 BW in the TX1 is - I've said as much already. What I'm saying is that the 'See, the alpha effects in BotW prove switch is BW-capped at 25.6GB/s' crowd got it wrong. How do I know this? Because the BW available to the GPU is not 25.6GB/s, particularly when it comes to the alpha effects.
The problem is, I don't recall any people saying only 25.6GB/s could result in a bottleneck. The claims seemed broader: that Switch is bandwidth-starved, with no threshold at a specific number. So I'm not sure what exactly you were dismissing in the initial post I responded to. If I understand what you're saying here correctly, it's that just the 25.6 GB/s number is false. The Switch could still easily be bandwidth-starved, no matter what the true effective bandwidth is.

What am I missing here?

blu

The claim that Switch is definitely bandwidth-starved. To categorically dismiss those claims--which you have done--you must know that it isn't bandwidth-starved, right?
No, to categorically dismiss those claims one must know that those claims were not based on sound reasing. For instance, if I definitively claimed time was 12:34 from looking at my watch, you could refute my definitive claim if you knew my watch was inexact, even if you didn't exactly know the correct time. Not because the time could not hypothetically be 12:34, but because you knew I had no ground for making such a definitive statement.

The problem is, I don't recall any people saying only 25.6GB/s could result in a bottleneck. The claims seemed broader: that Switch is bandwidth-starved, with no threshold at a specific number. So I'm not sure what exactly you were dismissing in the initial post I responded to. If I understand what you're saying here correctly, it's that just the 25.6 GB/s number is false. The Switch could still easily be bandwidth-starved, no matter what the true effective bandwidth is.

What am I missing here?
Check the first BotW DF analysis thread. From post #447 on (apologies for not providing a link - I'm on mobile here)

x2 really has more than 2x the bandwidth as X1? Ffff sometimes U wonder if Nintendo went with x2 in the fall. Would have really helped games, especially scaling 3rd party multiplats

No, to categorically dismiss those claims one must know that those claims were not based on sound reasing. For instance, if I definitively claimed time was 12:34 from looking at my watch, you could refute my definitive claim if you knew my watch was inexact, even if you didn't exactly know the correct time. Not because the time could not hypothetically be 12:34, but because you knew I had no ground for making such a definitive statement.
But as you say, I could only refute your surety about the specific value; I couldn't refute an assertion that it's too late to see a movie (since I don't know what time it actually is). Given that analogy, it does seem you intend only to dismiss claims that 25.6 GB/s is demonstrably inadequate bandwidth, not all claims that bandwidth is inadequate. And this is where I don't know who you're really referring to.

Check the first BotW DF analysis thread. From post #447 on (apologies for not providing a link - I'm on mobile here)
No problem, here's the thread. There is only one post in the entire thread that specifies the Switch bandwidth, this one:

Maybe its the possible low bandwidth if it is 25.6 ?

Maybe you answered your own question ?
A single claim doesn't seem like a wide target for your argument, even if we read the tentative "maybe" as sarcastic.

I dont think they are equal at only 1ghz
I think Blu and I was looking into that awhile ago, and LCGeek also has some links with benchmarks. It did have data on A57s handedly beating Jaguars clock to clock. However, I do admit that it may not be enough to make up for to the ~640MHz difference between Switch's CPU speed and the Jaguars in the PS4. Switch's clock speed is 60% of those Jaguars, so the actual performance will be somewhere above that. I may check it out later; searching things like this on mobile can be troublesome.

Edit: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=227019321

According to Blu's test, the A57s clocked at 1GHz overall performance is around 87% of PS4's Jaguars in single core performance.

blu

But as you say, I could only refute your surety about the specific value; I couldn't refute an assertion that it's too late to see a movie (since I don't know what time it actually is). Given that analogy, it does seem you intend only to dismiss claims that 25.6 GB/s is demonstrably inadequate bandwidth, not all claims that bandwidth is inadequate. And this is where I don't know who you're really referring to.
This is the post from the thread I was referring to (again, apologies for not providing the link originally): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231418033&postcount=447

That DF hypothesis, in itself, was not that ludicrous, but it, perhaps non-surprisingly, generated three kinds of responses:

(a) we really don't know what causes the issue; a patch could be expected
(b) it could be BW, but perhaps because game was a straight port from a largely-different memory architecture; a patch could fix it, while a grounds-up design would not suffer from the same issue.
(c) this is the definitive proof switch is incapable of doing anything more complex during heavy alpha scenarios!

You'll notice how 25.6GB/s is taken for ground truth of GPU BW (further shared with the CPU).

Hermii

x2 really has more than 2x the bandwidth as X1? Ffff sometimes U wonder if Nintendo went with x2 in the fall. Would have really helped games, especially scaling 3rd party multiplats
Yea 25.6gb vs 58.4gb. 16nm would probably also allow them to clock the CPU so it would be a lot closer to current gen in performance. But no point in crying over spilled milk.

This is the post from the thread I was referring to (again, apologies for not providing the link originally): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231418033&postcount=447

That DF hypothesis, in itself, was not that ludicrous, but it, perhaps non-surprisingly, generated three kinds of responses:

(a) we really don't know what causes the issue; a patch could be expected
(b) it could be BW, but perhaps because game was a straight port from a largely-different memory architecture; a patch could fix it, while a grounds-up design would not suffer from the same issue.
(c) this is the definitive proof switch is incapable of doing anything more complex during heavy alpha scenarios!

You'll notice how 25.6GB/s is taken for ground truth of GPU BW (further shared with the CPU).

Yeah. DF threw out a possible theory out there, but some people took it as a proven fact and got shot down when Zelda was able to get patched without any compromises.

Btw, Blu, is there anything you can add to the reference from your A57/Jaguar that I did in my other post?

blu

Yeah. DF threw out a possible theory out there, but some people took it as a proven fact and got shot down when Zelda was able to get patched without any compromises.

Btw, Blu, is there anything you can add to the reference from your A57/Jaguar that I did in my other post?
Yes, its clock normalisation is borked, thanks to Geekbench's habit of showing the clock of the LITTLE core in the test results and me overlooking that. Huawai Angler is a snapdragon 810 with big cores running at 1.9GHz, so the table should be:
Code:
Single-Core Score       1304        967     686
AES                     945         916     497
LZMA                    1221        1191    643
JPEG                    1561        1177    822
Canny                   1659        988     873
Lua                     1173        799     617
Dijkstra                1416        1366    745
SQLite                  1206        751     635
HTML5 Parse             1381        902     727
HTML5 DOM               1259        819     663
Histogram Equalization  1697        1022    893
PDF Rendering           1631        926     858
LLVM                    1562        825     822
Camera                  1700        1003    895
SGEMM                   472         300     248
SFFT                    977         472     514
N-Body Physics          778         650     409
Ray Tracing             892         744     469
Rigid Body Physics      1424        977     749
HDR                     1743        1333    917
Gaussian Blur           1284        813     676
Speech Recognition      964         1012    507
Face Detection          1355        861     713
Memory Copy             1399        1056    736
Memory Latency          1821        3459    958
Memory Bandwidth        1312        647     691
Sorry about me forgetting to fix the original post.

AlStrong

Doubling the memory bus size may not be as desirable for a handheld unit as such since it raises the bottom line of power consumption a fair bit - good reason why pretty much all mobile (phone-tier) chips are on a 64-bit bus.

Doubling the memory bus size may not be as desirable for a handheld unit as such since it raises the bottom line of power consumption a fair bit - good reason why pretty much all mobile (phone-tier) chips are on a 64-bit bus.
It may be worth it. You get a 60% clock speed power efficiency with Pascal. Bandwidth can be held a bit more back in handheld mode

Oresama

I agree with the folks here suggesting not to use Z:BoTW as the baseline for the Switches performance...

That being said, what upcoming title for the switch would you guys recommend keeping an out for a true representatation of the consoles strengths/ weaknesses?

Arms? Splatoon 2? MK8D?

Hermii

Tx2 power consumption is not higher than tx1

I agree with the folks here suggesting not to use Z:BoTW as the baseline for the Switches performance...

That being said, what upcoming title for the switch would you guys recommend keeping an out for a true representatation of the consoles strengths/ weaknesses?

Arms? Splatoon 2? MK8D?
With Splatoon 2 it seems like the devs are prioritizing dropping no frames over everything else and it runs the same engine probably.

I would say xenoblade 2 or odyssey are good candidates.

ultrazilla

I think Snake Pass running the Unreal Engine 4 on Switch and it generally performing pretty well is a good game to base performance on. There's apparently a lot of physics calculations as well running in the game engine.

Post patch for a huge open world game that also has a lot of physics present, Zelda should at least be a "bare minimum" for what the Switch graphics chip can do.

Yes, its clock normalisation is borked, thanks to Geekbench's habit of showing the clock of the LITTLE core in the test results and me overlooking that. Huawai Angler is a snapdragon 810 with big cores running at 1.9GHz, so the table should be:
Code:

Middle jag and right switch?

Code:

It's cool. I'm glad that you told us so that I wouldn't lead people with false infomation. :)

Ok, so is this what we are looking at?:

first column is A57 @ 1.9GHz, second column - Jaguar @1.6GHz (PS4), third column - first column / 1.9 (Switch).

If that the case, the Switch's performance may be around 70% of PS4's in single core performance.

blu

Middle jag and right switch?
Single-thread, yes.

It's cool. I'm glad that you told us so that I wouldn't lead people with false infomation. :)

Ok, so is this what we are looking at?:

first column is A57 @ 1.9GHz, second column - Jaguar @1.6GHz (PS4), third column - first column / 1.9 (Switch).

If that the case, the Switch's performance may be around 70% of PS4's in single core performance.
Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom