• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Game looks good, better than either the Xbox 360 or PS3. Run's smooth for the most part, minus some scenes that involve alot of NPC's.

As for the jump from AC3 on the Wii U.
Where are you getting the idea that AC4 is better on Wii U? Something tells me that you haven't given the PS3 and 360 versions a fair shake.

OryoN

Finally got enough pics for a group posting.

Theme: Reflecting on some fun moments!
wiiu_screenshot_tv_012xsfx.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ypc67.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01d8j3q.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013dodb.jpg

First off Wii U is next gen(technically it's current gen now along with Xbox one & PS4) and secondly if you are going to disregard the Wii U, the lightning is the last thing you should be dismissive of. It is capable of amazing lighting as Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land and Mario Kart demonstrate.

The problem with Assassin's Creed is that it is a cross gen game so the only improvements you can expect are resolution bump, better IQ and improved texture quality.

Not even. Wii U is last Gen along with PS3 and 360,

...but it looks like crap. They are taking a good art style and shitting on it with these balls quality and overly used shaders.

It was pretty much the trademark lighting style for Super Mario Galaxy, and I thought it looked good there, giving an otherworldly space lighting effect. But Mario Party 9 seems to have started a trend of applying it liberally to everything in the Mario universe.

Pikmin 3 seems to use the effect to make it easier to spot lone Pikmin, but it can hurt the aesthetics in some screens. A better application in the game is when they use it to highlight objects you are selecting.

3DWorld looks to be a bit of a mixed bag. They're overusing the effect, but it seems to be mostly in the stages that are full of lava or otherwise supersaturated with soft lighting. It looks nice in moderation, and can add a bit of a magical feeling to the art, but you don't want everything glowing like it's radioactive.

Where are you getting the idea that AC4 is better on Wii U? Something tells me that you haven't given the PS3 and 360 versions a fair shake.

The usual Wii U cycle is:

- Nintendo fans claiming superior Wii U version
- DF comparison shows it's inferior to PS360

Let's see how that turns out, but i find it amusing that people still believe in Wii U multiplatform gaming.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This thread is killing my resistance towards buying a Wii U.

This thread sold me Need For Speed: Most Wanted on PC. It's $4.99 on Amazon right now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If that isn't just the perfect revealing of how you see this thread: a competition.

I don't want photo mode shots either... because I want to see what the games actually look like.

Aklamarth

Jeez guys you're so touchy.......

It was just a observation. I wasn't actually implying anything. The screenshots caught my eye because i "drove" trough the same areas 2h ago.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't want photo mode shots either... because I want to see what the games actually look like.
As long as you know they are photomode shots, I don't see what the harm is in it. The PC screenshot thread has all sorts of downsampled and effect-ridden shots and people are fine with it there.

If you don't look at this from a competition aspect, but merely a place to see pretty screenshots, there's no reason to disallow this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see photomode shots as a problem if they're taken with tools bundled with the game and not promotional/tech shots distributed by the publisher/developer. And I'm okay with photomode shots because this thread does not serve the purpose of a pissing contest between in-engine playable visuals between platforms.

So if we allow Vita... Do we allow 3DS too?

3DS has no capture tools, though I know you can buy them. I was going to wait and see how Miiverse is implemented, because if it's like the Wii U then screenshots will be shareable. And in that case a Vita/3DS photo thread can be given life.

TAJ

As long as you know they are photomode shots, I don't see what the harm is in it. The PC screenshot thread has all sorts of downsampled and effect-ridden shots and people are fine with it there.

If you don't look at this from a competition aspect, but merely a place to see pretty screenshots, there's no reason to disallow this.

That's not even called the PC screenshot thread. It's called the high-resolution PC screenshot thread. And depending on the rig and game, you can possibly play those bullshots.

Sendou

3DS has no capture tools, though I know you can buy them. I was going to wait and see how Miiverse is implemented, because if it's like the Wii U then screenshots will be shareable. And in that case a Vita/3DS photo thread can be given life.

I don't think there's an easy way to make screenshots of most 3DS games?

I think Miiverse is going to allow sharing screenshots in some games but not all. Besides some games like Animal Crossing already support screenshot sharing even if the compression is pretty harsh. Let's hope the 3DS Miiverse screenshots are nicer to look at than that. When this happens I think Vita/3DS/iOS/Android screenshots thread might be a decent idea.

Of course then there are capture cards but I doubt we have too many users that own them. I understand they're quite pricy.

Top Bottom