• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial NYPD stop and frisk tactic goes on trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

A Bronx medical student testified Monday that when a trio of plainclothes cops stopped him outside his godmother’s building the excuse they gave was that “there had been a pattern of robberies in the area.”

But the real reason, 28-year-old David Floyd said, had more to do with the color of his skin.

“I felt like I was being told I should not leave my home," said Floyd. “First and foremost, I didn't do anything; I am not a criminal.”

Floyd is one of four black New Yorkers who have filed a class-action lawsuit against the city that targets the police department’s controversial stop-and-frisk tactic.

The NYPD is laying “siege to black and Latino neighborhoods,” Floyd’s lawyer Darius Charney charged as the trial got under way Monday.

“Thousands, if not millions” of New Yorkers have been subjected to a “frightening and degrading experience,” said Charney, of the Center for Constitutional Rights.

Stop-and-frisk is legal, but the way the NYPD has been doing it is “arbitrary, unnecessary and unconstitutional," he said.

City lawyers insisted the NYPD is targeting crime — not minorities.

“Crime drives where police officers go, not race,” said Heidi Grossman, an attorney for the city.

The lawsuit, which was filed in 2008, seeks to have the NYPD’s policy declared unconstitutional and a monitor appointed by the court to keep tabs on how police make stops.

The plaintiffs also want NYPD officers to be required to fill out paperwork each and every time they stop and frisk a person, so they can be tracked. And they are also seeking unspecified compensatory damages.

The trial, which is expected to last over a month, will draw testimony from cops, lawmakers, constitutional experts, and 11 black or bi-racial New York men - and one Hispanic woman - who say they were victimized.

Like Floyd, who is studying medicine in Cuba, the three other plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit are black. They are Lalit Clarkson, 26, and Deon Dennis, 37, both of Harlem, and 20-year-old David Ourlicht, of Jamaica, Queens.

On Monday, now 16-year-old Devin Almonor, the son of a retired cop, described how three years ago he burst into tears when plainclothes police officers cuffed him for no reason.

“Why are you crying like a little girl?” the cops said, Almonor testified.

Almonor, who is also black, has filed a federal lawsuit separate from Floyd’s case.

In coming days, lawyers for Floyd and the others are expected to introduce as evidence audiotapes made by a Brooklyn cop named Adrian Schoolcraft.

Schoolcraft claims he was hauled off to a psych ward to discredit his allegations that the 81st Precinct pushed officers to fill arrest quotas.

His former commanding officers are also expected to be put on the stand.

Floyd versus the City of New York does not question the legality of warrantless stops in high-crime areas.

Nor can Manhattan federal court Judge Shira Scheindlin ban stop-and-frisk as a police procedure. But she has the power to order reforms that will directly affect how the NYPD polices the city - from the beat cop on up.

And Scheindlin, who is also hearing two related lawsuits, has already made clear she has some reservations about the stop-and-frisk tactic.

kcGRz3x.jpg

I hope the judges orders the reforms. The Stop, and Frisk policy is utter bullshit.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
In coming days, lawyers for Floyd and the others are expected to introduce as evidence audiotapes made by a Brooklyn cop named Adrian Schoolcraft.

Schoolcraft claims he was hauled off to a psych ward to discredit his allegations that the 81st Precinct pushed officers to fill arrest quotas.

If this is true, holy shit they're trying to cover their asses like no tomorrow.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I sincerely hope this is found unconstitutional. I'm sure this is a very degrading experience. Frankly, I don't trust anyone in authority enough not to have race be a part of it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I sincerely hope this is found unconstitutional. I'm sure this is a very degrading experience. Frankly, I don't trust anyone in authority enough not to have race be a part of it.

It's illegal search and seizure. So, yes, it is unconstitutional.

Aurongel

I wasn't even aware that the whole quota thing was a controversial "secret" until I saw some GAFfers responding to it so dramatically. It's been common knowledge in my area of NY for quite some time now that traffic cops and highway cops are more numerous and common at the end of the month when their quota is due. I was under the impression that this was common practice for cops across the country.

I wasn't even aware that the whole quota thing was a controversial "secret" until I saw some GAFfers responding to it so dramatically. It's been common knowledge in my area of NY for quite some time now that traffic cops and highway cops are more numerous and common at the end of the month when their quota is due. I was under the impression that this was common practice for cops across the country.

Police deny that they have quotas, and some people actually believe them.

Instead they have "productivity goals" or whatever.

Fucking YAY!

I'm surprised it took this long. I don't know the whole history of the policy but I would think "Let's just start stopping and searching tens of thousands of minorities randomly on the street," would have thrown some huge red flags.

There was a This American Life episode about this guy, complete with the actual tapes he secretly made of his fellow cops. It's absolutely infuriating what they tried to do to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom