• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creative Assembly to make Warhammer Fantasy games

How does this affect warhammer online?

After how SWG was shut down, is it likely that EA won't renew its license for WO (or is that not how it works at all?).

f0rk

Great news. Though it's not the 40K license, I would be pleased with them getting that one too. Games Workshop is maybe just waiting for THQ to kick the bucket to start talking with Sega.

I don't see why, THQ have generally done a very good job with the license IMO. Except for maybe the MMO thing that keeps getting messed around.
I'd like to see Relic do a spiritual Homeland sequel with 40k ships.

I don't see why, THQ have generally done a very good job with the license IMO. Except for maybe the MMO thing that keeps getting messed around.

A Battlefleet Gothic game would not go astray, but given how incredibly popular that game is with the kiddies...i.e., not at all...I doubt we'll see any BFG fun any time soon.

But I'd buy ten copies, for sure!

This joke. It is good.

We try around here. At least sometimes.

Warhammer: Total War is something I can get behind. I always hoped CA would try their hand at a fantasy setting Total War.

Well...better that than when they do sci-fi. Oh, how I did try and love Stormrise. Oh how I did try. Fundamentally busted-arse game.

Corto

They sure did, and I love all their games made from this IP, but THQ is on its deathbed... :( The 40k license will return to GW if/when that finally happens.

HoosTrax

No, but it does have an evil order of knights riding dinosaurs.
I thought that was Inferno faction from Heroes of Might and Magic :3

Agrael_2.jpg

Either way, I'm ok with this. Actually this is pretty good. Enjoy the Total War games, although I'm eagerly awaiting Rome 2, as that's my favorite setting.

EDIT: Also, this makes me cautiously optimistic that even if the worst comes to pass re:THQ, that Games Workshop won't be interested in granting the 40K license to EA.

TaroYamada

Well...better that than when they do sci-fi. Oh, how I did try and love Stormrise. Oh how I did try. Fundamentally busted-arse game.

Stormrise wasn't CA, you are thinking of CA Australia which is a studio SEGA opened to try and expand Creative Assembly. It has no real relation, other than name, to the British studio.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap this is a bombshell. I love pretty much everything Creative Assembly has put out, so I am extremely excited for this.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Creative Assembly are the other great developer of (slower paced) strategy games on pc so it's exciting to imagine what they could do on the fantasy side. I don't know if I would like it to be exactly like Total War in the same way Dawn of War is similar to Company of Heroes but you could do a lot worse. And Relic is of course perfectly suited to continue to make games on the 40,000 side.

Not that we know what they are making. If the universe hates us it will be some kind of ipad game or another crash and burn attempt to make real time strategy work on consoles.

McNum

Warhammer: Total War would be awesome. Now THAT is a perfect match of license and game concept.

And the first one to call it a Warcraft ripoff gets linked that Penny Arcade strip... Besides, it's not like Warcraft is an RTS anymore, anyway.

Pooya

yeah, if this is anything other than a Total War game it would be huge missed opportunity.

I wish CA get LotR license some day :\

Shai-Tan

Banned
Watch it becoming Creative Assembly's first FPS.

Seriously, can't wait to see the result of this license - developer dream-team. 2014 earliest is my guess?

I would hope their attempts at an action game (Spartan: Total Warrior, Viking: Battle for Asgard) would convince them they aren't the best studio to be making those types of games :)

TaroYamada

I would hope their attempts at an action game (Spartan: Total Warrior, Viking: Battle for Asgard) would convince them they aren't the best studio to be making those types of games :)

Those games have their fans, so I don't think so. Pretty sure they are working on a console-oriented game, that isn't strategy-focused.

Stormrise wasn't CA, you are thinking of CA Australia which is a studio SEGA opened to try and expand Creative Assembly. It has no real relation, other than name, to the British studio.

Oh, indeed. Well and truly followed the entire sad procession from go to woe. But you can't suggest CA's action titles have been hallmarks of the genre.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Could be interesting, if done correctly. I haven't enjoyed a CA game since Medieval: Total War, though, so we shall have to see.

TaroYamada

Oh, indeed. Well and truly followed the entire sad procession from go to woe. But you can't suggest CA's action titles have been hallmarks of the genre.

I haven't played them, Viking is on the list and I know it has its fans on NeoGAF. I really wanted to play Spartan Total Warrior though....

I haven't played them, Viking is on the list and I know it has its fans on NeoGAF. I really wanted to play Spartan Total Warrior though....

In regards to Stormrise, it was a weird one. It could very well have been the sci-fi Full Spectrum Warrior I've always dreamed about, had they not felt compelled to squeeze in a cumbersomely high troop cap, a very wonky control method and the worst pathfinding I've ever seen.

...utter shame.

mclem

Yes! :) The closer to the tabletop game the better, I'd say.

The games need 'virtual painting' modes too :p

Strictly speaking, for the *true* tabletop experience, shouldn't the paints be DLC; either bought individually or in packs of nine?

TaroYamada

In regards to Stormrise, it was a weird one. It could very well have been the sci-fi Full Spectrum Warrior I've always dreamed about, had they not felt compelled to squeeze in a cumbersomely high troop cap, a very wonky control method and the worst pathfinding I've ever seen.

...utter shame.

Trust me, I've wanted CA to go outside historical RTS for a long while now. I looked into it even though it wasn't the actual CA. It looked AWFUL!

McNum

If I just get to see 20,000 orks come running over a hill screaming "WAAAAAGH!" in unison, I'll be happy. The Total War engine can handle that many units now, can't it?

Top Bottom