• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

hurzelein

The Last of Us

My most "custom" cover until today: The room is an awesome artwork by ND, I faked some centimeters at top&bottom to make it fit better.
But I couldn't really recognize the girl as Ellie, so I just wanted to do my own version of it and integrate Joel and Ellie as we know them.

Turned out to be pretty difficult for me, I don't want to know how many hours I "wasted" into the drawing of details and adjusting image settings a hundred times just to throw it all over board and start over, but I learned a lot, so thats that! :)
Used the Ellie from this wallpaper, and looking at how different the scene is I have to say I'm pretty proud how it all turned out.

The Last of Us

My most "custom" cover until today: The room is an awesome artwork by ND, I faked some centimeters at top&bottom to make it fit better.
But I couldn't really recognize the girl as Ellie, so I just wanted to do my own version of it and integrate Joel and Ellie as we know them.

Turned out to be pretty difficult for me, I don't want to know how many hours I "wasted" into the drawing of details and adjusting image settings a hundred times just to throw it all over board and start over, but I learned a lot, so thats that! :)
Used the Ellie from this wallpaper, and looking at how different the scene is I have to say I'm pretty proud how it all turned out.

I absolutely love it. Very nice touch "sneaking" Joel into the piece. I like how the shading is appropriate for where both characters are (from memory, I can't remember what their original image looks like), the cleanliness of the insertion, and the cherry on top: the reflection in the mirror of the spine text you inserted.

Grief.exe

This is the craziest part

PVr653X.png

The Last of Us

That's some fantastic work man.

ignaciogc

The Last of Us

That's brilliant! Great work!!

hurzelein

Thanks!

Yeah if you know it, look closely or concentrate on it you can see that she isn't part of the original image, but it was the best I could do with evoloving but still very limited photoshop knowledge. A lot of tiny adjustments to lightning, colours, grain, the dust in the sun, her hair, saturation etc. (plenty of layers yes :D) and I am very satisfied with the outcome.
Also I think it's a matter of perspective: The further you zoom out (or watch it in a thumbnail picture like the 3D-Template, the more you recognize it, the more you zoom in the more she blends in. Don't know what causes that, would be interesting to hear if someone knows some stuff about drawing such artworks or has some specific tips how to blend her in the image even better. Also feel free to edit the picture if you want to change something, I really don't mind!

Will be interesting to see how it turns out printed, I think it will be even less recognizable due to the lower resolution when printed, at least I hope so!

If someone wants it I can also do a version from the original artwork's girl and without Joel. In my opinion the girl is a slightly other person than "the game's Ellie", but it's still an amazing artwork from Naughty Dog and if one likes the "more realistic" look (Joel and Ellie from the game have a slightly different, more comically style I'd say) of her this is also great. Only funny thing is that her hand, if you watch closely, is somewhat unfinished in the artwork^^.
http://s3.gamefreaks.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Last-of-Us-Concept-Art-19.jpg

Cheers

Getting a tad better at this. Not too proud of my Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 cover, the picture I used was naturally a low resolution. Some of these are already done by other people but I wanted to try my hand nevertheless

EDIT: Just realized that Fall of Cybertron is missing its spine art. Will fix and reupload
EDIT: Done.

You couldn't possibly do the Storm 3 and Fall of Cybertron for PS3 could you?

Also where can I get these done in the UK?

Sekundes

Neo Member
i spent way too much time doing this. wish i could have found better resolution source material.

nice one!

Yeah I've been having the same problem with the covers I was doing.
I guess it's easier to find high resolution pics of AAA Titles than JPRGs these days =P

BTW: Isn't that dude with the Scythe missing? Or did you have to give up Fayt in order to get him? Sorry, It was like 3 years ago when I played it..

hurzelein

Everyone pretty busy right now hm :)?

Made a pretty similiar one a few months ago but I deleted it like half an hour later. Image got stuck in my mind so I decided to redo it with some adjustements: soldiers following the tank looks better than the other way round imo. Too much black fonts on this make it look a little bit weird but I guess it's okay once it's printed and inside the box. This game can't be released quick enough!

Zajora

Unfortunately so. (For me, at least). I've still been updating the Dropbox with all the posted covers, of course, but I don't have as much free time as I did during the summer. I also haven't really felt like making any custom covers for awhile, so there's that.

Grief.exe

Made a pretty similiar one a few months ago but I deleted it like half an hour later. Image got stuck in my mind so I decided to redo it with some adjustements: soldiers following the tank looks better than the other way round imo. Too much black fonts on this make it look a little bit weird but I guess it's okay once it's printed and inside the box. This game can't be released quick enough!

I hope they do a PC version.

Sekundes

Neo Member
For me, it's a combination of trying to beat Tales of Xillia before Beyond comes out and not having an idea on what to do.

Ideas?

Have fun! I finished it a week ago and I have to say that I liked Graces F way more (due to far more post game content and the insane combat-system)
But the characters in Xillia were more fun...
That also brings me to your question:
Play Graces F if you haven't!! best combat-system I've ever seen in any RPG.

I'm currently working on a few more covers but I'm also busy at work so I can't say when I'll be done... and I'm finaaaaallly picking up Bayonetta and Madness Returns!

Btw, I have a few covers of games which I only have on PSN (ZoE, Catherine)... Is it just me or is it kinda weird to have a bunch of empty boxes lying around??
Does anybody know where to get the booklets as PDF?
I could easily print them at work, just like I'm doing with the covers =P

Have fun! I finished it a week ago and I have to say that I liked Graces F way more (due to far more post game content and the insane combat-system)
But the characters in Xillia were more fun...
That also brings me to your question:
Play Graces F if you haven't!! best combat-system I've ever seen in any RPG.

I'm currently working on a few more covers but I'm also busy at work so I can't say when I'll be done... and I'm finaaaaallly picking up Bayonetta and Madness Returns!

Btw, I have a few covers of games which I only have on PSN (ZoE, Catherine)... Is it just me or is it kinda weird to have a bunch of empty boxes lying around??

I do plan on playing Graces F, Symphonia, and Vesperia sometime.

My question though was really ideas for covers, like suggestions.

hurzelein

Ugh, I don't think there is a single site on the internet which uploads game booklets. Interesting idead but I think this is nearly impossible to make scans look like an actual booklet.

Do you have any PSN/Arcade games left?

Sekundes

Neo Member

oh.. I see. Well like hurzelein said, do you have any PSN/Arcade games?
Or games you plan on getting in the future...

Do you play PES/FIFA or Racing games?
I had the "brilliant" idea of putting myself on the cover of PES next to a few Chelsea players (I'm a fan). Maybe no1 will notice and ask who that new player is... =P
Or put your own car on a NFS cover =D
I know its lame but also funny if executed right...

Ugh, I don't think there is a single site on the internet which uploads game booklets. Interesting idead but I think this is nearly impossible to make scans look like an actual booklet.

yea I know what you mean, it's already hard finding good quality pictures, let alone the whole booklet/artwork. But I was lucky... I found a Zone of the Enders 2 artwork ZIP on A-Z Manga. I tried looking for one of WipEout HD/Fury but I wasn't that lucky... only looked for those two though..

I can find the link again or upload it if anybody is interested...

nillapuddin

Before
3ZT6Uzxl.jpg

After
ZbCZ7xAl.jpg

:)

I know there are a bit of adjustments that need to be made, but I am happy overall, 6 bucks to print them out at Fedex

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
You couldn't possibly do the Storm 3 and Fall of Cybertron for PS3 could you?

Also where can I get these done in the UK?

Sure I'll cook something up. And also I live in the USA so I have no idea lol

hurzelein

Big Halo fan here myself but that looks quite impressive! Just change the Reach box from black to green! Pleeease! It sticks out like nothing good :)

replacementdocs.com has a bunch. Don't know how up to date they are.

Before
3ZT6Uzxl.jpg

After
ZbCZ7xAl.jpg

:)

I know there are a bit of adjustments that need to be made, but I am happy overall, 6 bucks to print them out at Fedex

Looks great! Any reason why some are smaller?

Also Spider-Man: Edge of Time

Blowdrum

Neo Member
6vs7ahS.png

I recently put together this Destiny cover, mainly because I'm not really a fan of the official cover art Bungie released. The background photo is only 4MP, so I'm not sure how it will look on an upscaled, printed version though.

Zajora

Added all the recently posted covers to the Dropbox. Also, a Grand Theft Auto 4 cover by corrosivefrost that was once lost due to broken links has been recovered.

Myst DS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3r5kzjak8qjsn9/MYST.jpg

So the 3d template on page 1 doesn't like to play nice with your template Zajora

Yeah, sorry about that. I made my templates based on my measurements of the covers, so they are unlikely to work well with Rengoku's 3D box converter scripts, which rely on precise dimensions. I had planned to do something where I'd have a section on the off-site gallery with a template for each console which had all the different logo choices, and then have 3D converters for each one. Unfortunately that hasn't happened (yet). I did make 3D converters that work for the templates I made, but the problem is that they're not very easy to transfer to a different computer, since I'm not a wizard like Rengoku with his scripting skills. :p

6vs7ahS.png

I recently put together this Destiny cover, mainly because I'm not really a fan of the official cover art Bungie released. The background photo is only 4MP, so I'm not sure how it will look on an upscaled, printed version though.

4MP is still quite large. Can we get a download link to the full version?

Hiteryan

Neo Member
This is my first time posting here, so I'll just use the occasion to say how I absolutely love all these covers that have been posted here so far. I have actually just sold one of my collector's edition in order to get the regular version just to print out a custom cover for it. After I print mine I'll take a photo and post it here.

Has anyone given a go at making a Jak & Daxter Collection cover?

Maybe something with just the desert on the background and a precursor orb or something? I'm saying this because it's hard to get high resolution pictures or wallpapers from any J&D game, but something featuring the characters would be cool as well. I've tried doing my own but I don't really have much photoshop experience, so unless there's some hi rez pics to work with I can't do anything :p

I checked the op but couldn't find what I was looking for. But I swear I saw an alternate cover for Demon's Souls that had the original cover art but with the updated PS3 logo at the top in one of these threads.

Thanks in advance.

RedSwirl

6vs7ahS.png

Did you just base that on the PS3 case dimensions?

Pachimari

Have any of you guys made a Fallout 3 boxart or know where I can get the official one in a high enough resolution to print?

I bought Fallout 3 used but it came without any cover and box.

Zajora

Have any of you guys made a Fallout 3 boxart or know where I can get the official one in a high enough resolution to print?

I bought Fallout 3 used but it came without any cover and box.

There are a number of Fallout 3 covers available in the Dropbox backup (11, by my count, including multi platform versions). You can take a look at the top of the first post of this thread for a more in depth explanation for how to find what covers you're looking for and how to download the full printable resolutions. :)

Zajora

Here you go. Also, is there a way to turn on notifications or something when someone quotes my post? It took me like a week to respond :/

I don't think so. There used to be the "who quoted me" button but that was removed due to server load. What I do is every so often I'll search "quote zajora" and hit "show posts" which turns up all instances of someone quoting me. As far as I know that's the best we've got.

The Last of Us

HOOLEEEE FuuuuUUUCK!!!!

Momma, I said

COT

dayuum!

I need to look at this thread more often because this kind of stuff is the kind of stuff I can't be passing up.

KiraXD

i might be super blind here... but is there a Diablo III custom for PS3 here? did a search and checked OP and didnt see it (other than the header image)

Top Bottom