• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: development in full swing

This is a game where I don't need it to look utterly jaw dropping. I want the mechanics, plot, quests, world design to matter more. Wsy more. And I'm perfectly content with any downgrades needed to make the most ambitious cyberpunk RPG a reality.

Can't fucking wait!!

Xenoflare

The only metric I have for cyberpunk games is the Shadowrun series.

I just hope the story and character for 2077 will be good.

aliengmr

As open-world rpgs go Witcher 3 is at the top. If they can do the same here I'll consider buying it.

Ohh who am I kidding, I'll still be buying it. CDPR had me at Witcher 1.

Realeza

Banned
Guys just imagine for a second how CDPR has been getting better after every game. If W3 is already GOTN, the sky is the limit for Cyberpunk.

DieH@rd

Banned
The only metric I have for cyberpunk games is the Shadowrun series.

I just hope the story and character for 2077 will be good.

If they stick with the story that could be seen in the C2077 teaser trailer, we will play as that woman who became a psycho - a person who has lost her mind because of the presence of too much augmentations. Each Cyberpunk 2020 char has a "Empathy" stat and presence of each new augmentation lowers that stat. When it hits zero, char loses its connection with humanity, all those implants push their brain over the edge of insanity and starts a murderous rampage against ordinary humans around him. And since only heavily augmented people can lose their Empathy completely, they are usually though to stop. Most psychos are killed by elite police squads that can manage such crazy threats, but some surviving psychos are rehabilitated and turned into members of police Psycho Squads. At the end of the trailer, the girl is one of them.

Most likely we will play a new Psycho recruit, hopefully with a great backstory of what pushed him/her into insanity. That will give players a chance to enjoy a heavily agumented badass, who is an outcast [both as a police member and an ex-psycho] and a member of a organization that is pushed into bad situations all the time. Perfect for a main game protagonist.

edit-
http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Cyberpsychosis
http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Psycho_Squad

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Guys, I am sure they are aware that movement in TW3 was criticized a lot. I would guess they are probably not just slapping Witcher controls on CP2077 and calling it a day.

The concern is relevant, seeing how the movement and combat mechanics in all three Witcher games have had issues.

Turkoop

Banned
I talked to Malinowski at Gamescom and asked about Cyberpunk ^^
Well, he laughed but he said, it is going take time but when we show it, it's gonna blow ur minds. He also said, they're gonna show it when it's ready.

Speely

Banned
The concern is relevant, seeing how the movement and combat mechanics in all three Witcher games have had issues.

Of course it's relevant. Lots of players had issues with the control/mechanics. I didn't mean to say it wasn't, but they are moving to a whole new IP and have a lot of new talent on board. I would wager that the movement and combat will at least be designed with the previous criticisms in mind.

At least I hope that's the case!

sublimit

Banned
They are still hiring concept artists for cyberpunk so i imagine the game still has a looong way to go.
I honestly don't expect it before 2018.

Mortemis

Banned
Not hyped until I get to really see this, hoping for something good. The witcher 3 was great from what I played, but I'm hoping they've really learned from its mishaps.

Sou Da

Night City is based on Los Angeles, so you don't need to worry about that.
"After the great purge of 2017, blacks were exiled to Mexico"

5I5s8.png

There's already concept featuring black people iirc

Xenoflare

If they stick with the story that could be seen in the C2077 teaser trailer, we will play as that woman who became a psycho - a person who has lost her mind because of the presence of too much augmentations. Each Cyberpunk 2020 char has a "Empathy" stat and presence of each new augmentation lowers that stat. When it hits zero, char loses its connection with humanity, all those implants push their brain over the edge of insanity and starts a murderous rampage against ordinary humans around him. And since only heavily augmented people can lose their Empathy completely, they are usually though to stop. Most psychos are killed by elite police squads that can manage such crazy threats, but some surviving psychos are rehabilitated and turned into members of police Psycho Squads. At the end of the trailer, the girl is one of them.

Most likely we will play a new Psycho recruit, hopefully with a great backstory of what pushed him/her into insanity. That will give players a chance to enjoy a heavily agumented badass, who is an outcast [both as a police member and an ex-psycho] and a member of a organization that is pushed into bad situations all the time. Perfect for a main game protagonist.

edit-

Oh hey just like Shadowrun with cyberware and spirit.

Sorry as you can see Shadowrun is my only thing that I know in Cyberpunk.

Oh and after a few googling it seems like it's going to be either FPS or TPS, hopefully we'll have the option to pick, I can't play FPS due to motion sickness :(

DemWalls

They are still hiring concept artists for cyberpunk so i imagine the game still has a looong way to go.
I honestly don't expect it before 2018.

Speaking of art, something I always wondered but never asked about... what do you guys think of the MAX-TAC agent seen in the trailer, design-wise?

Personally I love it, and I would already consider those six "eyes" iconic (Jim Sterling will forgive me :lol:), but I'm curious to hear other people's opinion.

By the sounds of it the game is going to be massive so hopefully they are able to fill the world with enough interesting things to do

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Of course it's relevant. Lots of players had issues with the control/mechanics. I didn't mean to say it wasn't, but they are moving to a whole new IP and have a lot of new talent on board. I would wager that the movement and combat will at least be designed with the previous criticisms in mind.

At least I hope that's the case!

Let us pray...

prayer.gif~original

Speely

Banned

edit-

They have stated that we will be able to create our own character from among different Roles (classes) and decide for ourselves if cyberpsychosis or the psycho squad will even be a big part of our personal progression. They just showcased that aspect of the game world for the trailer because it is indeed a big part of what goes down in Night City.

You might be right that one way or the other the main story starts out with us serving the Psycho Squad in some capacity. If someone creates a Fixer or a Corporate, I wouldn't expect them to be tied to a heavily combat-based initial experience, however. Perhaps there are various ways that you can be in their employ, whether directly or more tenuously.

Arulan

I hope CD Projekt Red shies away from making combat as frequent as in The Witcher. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a great example of an RPG set in an urban environment. There aren't enemies around every corner. Combat scenarios are used when necessary, but not overly so (The later stages in the game perhaps use it too much). I'd much rather see other forms of interaction, namely dialogue, exploration, and all manner of skill checks be more predominant.

Speely

Banned
I hope CD Projekt Red shies away from making combat as frequent as in The Witcher. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a great example of an RPG set in an urban environment. There aren't enemies around every corner. Combat scenarios are used when necessary, but not overly so (The later stages in the game perhaps use it too much). I'd much rather see other forms of interaction, namely dialogue, exploration, and all manner of skill checks be more predominant.

Agreed. I am optimistic about this if they indeed stick somewhat close to the pnp rpg's role selection:

Originally Posted by Eurogamer

There are nine classes - known as Roles - to pick from in the game. They are Cop, Corporate (businessman), Fixer (dealer-type), Media, Netrunner (hacker), Nomad (gypsy warrior), Rockerboy (rebel rockers!), Solo (assassin) and Techie (renegade doctors and mechanics).

The majority of classes are not primarily combat-focused, although in the og game there was nothing stopping you from training a combat skill as, say, a Media role. The original game's progression is skill-based instead of level based, so we'll see how the roles end up providing progression in 2077. They have stated they want to remain true to the original, but it's likely that some of that won't translate as well to a video game medium as one might hope.

Agreed. I am optimistic about this if they indeed stick somewhat close to the pnp rpg's role selection:

The majority of classes are not primarily combat-focused, although in the og game there was nothing stopping you from training a combat skill as, say, a Media role. The original game's progression is skill-based instead of level based, so we'll see how the roles end up providing progression in 2077. They have stated they want to remain true to the original, but it's likely that some of that won't translate as well to a video game medium as one might hope.

Totally agree hope they aren't inclined to have almost even encounter or mission be to the death. It wasn't all about that in the series.

2077 should be released with the launch of superior console Scorpio, sometime late next year. That is why is all that delay in the long ass development.

Xyber

2077 should be released with the launch of superior console Scorpio, sometime late next year. That is why is all that delay in the long ass development.

Game hasn't really been delayed at all though. The announcement way back was just a recruitment trailer and they have said plenty of times that their focus was on W3 until that was all done. I don't expect this to be out before 2018.

c0Zm1c

I've had no problem whatsoever with the Witcher controls after they released the alternative mode a long time ago.

I've never even tried the alternate movement response. Never felt the need to. It plays fine as it is. I play on PC with keyboard and mouse though; maybe it just doesn't work well on controller in its original state?

Stiler

I've never even tried the alternate movement response. Never felt the need to. It plays fine as it is. I play on PC with keyboard and mouse though; maybe it just doesn't work well on controller in its original state?

The alternative controls basically make the movement more responsive. So when you are running and want to move in a different direction there's not as much of a "slide" to his movements and overall it just feels more tight/responsive.

I hope no one has just accepted the idea that WRPGS have to have bad combat.

Yeah, the replies to my post honestly make me laugh. Some people have some low ass standards. Action RPGs absolutely have to have good and responsive controls and combat. I quit W3 20 hours in because of how little fun it was to play. Being open world and an action RPG might complicate things a little but Dragon's Dogma is exactly such a game and does an amazing job of moving and fighting with your character.

That said, I repeat that Cyberpunk could certainly work in 1st person and as someone indicated, apparently CDPR intend to include a 1st person view so I might be good. I clearly like the content CDPR produce but I'm not willing to accept Witcher 3's level of jank anymore. They absolutely have to step up their game with regards to that and I hope they will. Witcher 3 didn't receive much criticism other than the combat and controls so surely they would work on that one thing the company didn't get right.

Hip Hop

I hope it pays off so they just don't focus on the Witcher IP.

And also very respectable of them putting faith (and money) into something so risky as starting a big, new IP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is an odd one, as CDPR developers have confirmed on the GWENT forums several times that the game will be coming to Steam.

Few examples here, here and here.

I think you'll find that the comment is referring to when the game is to release on Steam rather than if. The Steam version isn't slated to hit until the game has moved out of the beta phase; if CDPR can't offer anything more than a decidedly vague window as to when the transition from a closed beta to an open beta will occur, then a Steam release window is going to be foggier still.

This is a realistic expectation.

People seriously expect 2018?

For a project even more ambitious than TW3?

Take all the time and craft it CDPR.

2018 is possible if full development started last year and their biggest team yet is working on it. They also had years of pre-production during the development of TW3 and probably learned a lot during that project that can be aplied to this.

But I guess 2019 is more realistic. I just hope they'll throw us a bone sooner than later.

Top Bottom