• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas Police Chief: "We’re Asking Cops To Do Too Much In This Country’"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
The Police Chief just had a press conference and had some interesting perspective.

Saying he was “running on fumes,” Brown spoke frankly about everything that his employees have to deal with on a daily basis – and that it can be overwhelming at times. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country” said Brown.

“Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve” said Brown. He listed mental health, drug addiction, loose dogs, failing schools as problems the public expects ‘cops to solve.’

“Seventy percent of the African American community is being raised by single women, let’s give it to the cops to solve that as well” said Brown. “Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”

When asked what advice he would give black men, Chief Brown said, “Become a part of the solution, serve your community. Don’t be a part of the problem…we’re hiring. Get off that protest line and put an application in. We’ll put you in your neighborhood – we will help you resolve some of the problems you are protesting about.”

Cops.. They USED to be heroes to most of the public, now they're used up & vilified, way too often. Sad situation
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/07/11/...e-asking-cops-to-do-too-much-in-this-country/

From NPR:

Dallas Police Chief David Brown held a wide-ranging press conference on Monday, where he touched on race, the investigation and the issue of guns.

In a dramatic moment, he urged legislators to do their jobs and propose new laws to combat gun violence.

"We're doing ours. We're putting our lives on the line," Brown said. "The other aspects of government need to step up and help us."

2. He also touched on the problem he sees with open-carry laws, which he said were increasingly challenging for law enforcement. "We don't know who the good guy is versus who the bad guy is if everybody starts shooting," he said.

3. Brown also got personal, explaining that he became a police officer to help Dallas through its crack epidemic. And he urged protesters to leave the picket line and join the police force. "We're hiring," he said. "We'll put you in your neighborhood, and we will help you resolve some of the problems you're protesting about."

4. Brown was asked how he processed the protests against police as a black man: (me paraphrasing)
"I've been black a long time...grew up in Texas, this is my normal, to live in this society that has a long history of racial strife...It's better than it was when I was a young man, but we've got a lot of work to do, particularly in my profession...leaders need to step up and stop worrying about losing their job....

5. Finally, Brown defended his police department's use of an explosive to kill the Dallas shooter. He said his guidance to the officer was not to "bring the building down." He added: "This wasn't an ethical dilemma for me. I'd do it again."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Failing schools? How is society expecting cops to fix failing schools? Is that referring to officers placed in schools?

npr had a story on this morning about him and noted that the police unions in dallas heavily disliked him and were trying to get him to resign within the last few months b/c he was difficult. Dallas saw less recruits y/y and they were cancelling classes due to low enrollment.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
That definitely is an interesting viewpoint.

Racist love blaming black women for the downfall of society

From the OP, it doesn't look like he's blaming black women. Just saying that cops shouldn't be responsible to fix that problem. Which I'm not sure even makes sense.

Erevador

Not looking forward to seeing the ideologues flood this thread and lambast him for adding nuance to the conversation.

Cry me a river, a huge portion of America expects black people to fix racism. Ain't no one asking you to fix any of those problems you listed, we're asking you to stop being a shitty ass institute, hold yourself accountable for your actions and stop killing us.

qcf x2

I hate how in our current society people take one (tragic) thing and instantly use the public spotlight to soapbox because they have public sympathy because of said thing. It's almost like taking advantage of drunk people. The victim complex in law enforcement is a core issue, and one that will not be overcome.

Meanwhile, nobody dares say we need to reevaluate the effects of war on our young soldiers, not just from a "they need more support when they return" angle, but from a cost analysis POV. Nobody really wants to talk about how many people come back from these wars fucked up.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
We could start by treating drugs as a health issue and not a criminal issue.

I can see why he would say cops are being overworked. There's just too many things that other professionals should be taking care of. The idea however, that lining up to be a cop will somehow solve this is absurd. You need actual prepared professionals for the job.

That said, thank your local republican for taking down/defunding any sort of public health care initiatives, it sure seems to be paying off.

Not looking forward to seeing the ideologues flood this thread and lambast him for adding nuance to the conversation.
It's like the thread turned on your ideas before you started typing them.

That 70% number. How many years now? You'd think it'd be 99% by now..

Psssst

Anyways, guy even said he was running on fumes. He's dog tired after the shootings and fucked up the points he was trying to make.

I'm gonna hope you're joking..you're usually "funnier" than this..

Erevador

Did he blame black women? Did he say it is always their fault that they are raising children as single parents? He stated a statistical reality, not a statement of condemnation about its cause.

Piggus

I agree. Add in having to deal with second amendment too

I'd also say teachers face this to a lesser degree

True. My dad taught elementary school and middle school and often had to stand in for parents who had zero interest in taking care of their kids. But he never complained and was happy to help.

Seesaw15

“Become a part of the solution, serve your community. Don’t be a part of the problem…we’re hiring. Get off that protest line and put an application in

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

If you read the whole article closely, you'd have noticed that he's actually blaming the failure of our leaders to get social programs adequate funding to do the work they need to do so that cops don't get called on to clean up messes that shouldn't have been allowed to get so bad in the first place.

One of his suggested solutions is that we need to do "something about guns."

Servbot24

Banned
He didn't phrase it very politely but the core of his message is absolutely legitimate. Officers that are specialized to handle different types of situations would be a very good thing.

dity

Did he blame black women? Did he say it is always their fault that they are raising children as single parents? He stated a statistical reality, not a statement of condemnation about its cause.
How do cops "solve" single african-american mothers? Marrying them? Being their wing-man?

I don't understand. It makes no sense.

lenovox1

Cry me a river, a huge portion of America expects black people to fix racism. Ain't no one asking you to fix any of those problems you listed, we're asking you to stop being a shitty ass institute, hold yourself accountable for your actions and stop killing us.

The city government certainly is, regardless of what the populous desires.

Condom

That's not what he is saying though, he is rightfully saying that the police can't solve social-economic issues. It isn't a secret that the US style of governing doesn't have a focus on solving those kind of problems. You need a bigger more integral working government for that and maybe we'll get that if the Democratic party moves more to the left in the coming decade.

collige

Banned
I suppose he's kind of right in that the fallout of drug addiction, mental health issues, and poor schools does end up in the criminal justice system (and thus cops), but the cause of these problems is not something that originates within the community, it's the result of garbage policies from Reagan and his ilk and the solution won't come from every day people just being really really good at community service.

This OP doesn't do a good job of covering everything he said.

From NPR:

Dallas Police Chief David Brown held a wide-ranging press conference on Monday, where he touched on race, the investigation and the issue of guns.

In a dramatic moment, he urged legislators to do their jobs and propose new laws to combat gun violence.

"We're doing ours. We're putting our lives on the line," Brown said. "The other aspects of government need to step up and help us."

2. He also touched on the problem he sees with open-carry laws, which he said were increasingly challenging for law enforcement. "We don't know who the good guy is versus who the bad guy is if everybody starts shooting," he said.

3. Brown also got personal, explaining that he became a police officer to help Dallas through its crack epidemic. And he urged protesters to leave the picket line and join the police force. "We're hiring," he said. "We'll put you in your neighborhood, and we will help you resolve some of the problems you're protesting about."

4. Brown was asked how he processed the protests against police as a black man: (me paraphrasing)
"I've been black a long time...grew up in Texas, this is my normal, to live in this society that has a long history of racial strife...It's better than it was when I was a young man, but we've got a lot of work to do, particularly in my profession...leaders need to step up and stop worrying about losing their job....

5. Finally, Brown defended his police department's use of an explosive to kill the Dallas shooter. He said his guidance to the officer was not to "bring the building down." He added: "This wasn't an ethical dilemma for me. I'd do it again."

Hopefully that adds some context

joe2187

Banned
Actually, The cops can solve the problem of single black women raising children alone...they just have to stop killing their husbands/boyfriends.

Erevador

How do cops "solve" single african-american mothers? Marrying them? Being their wing-man?

You're making his point for him. He's saying cops are dealing with the larger difficulties in the black community, but are largely powerless to treat the root causes of those problems, even though they take all the blame for the results.

That definitely is an interesting viewpoint.

From the OP, it doesn't look like he's blaming black women. Just saying that cops shouldn't be responsible to fix that problem. Which I'm not sure even makes sense.

His point made perfect sense to me. Being raised without one parent present is statistically shown to lead problems for the children both in school and later in life. The problems that the cops deal with in adults later in life starts at home early in life. Cops are dealing with all these criminals that probably wouldn't have been criminals in the first place if they had a more normal family life. That's what he's talking about.

gdt

His message is garbled, but I tho k he's trying to say that we as a society are failing in so many places....all of those failures lead to higher crime rates.

I don't think it's a crazy statement.

Of course he's on some shit for some of those sentences.

npr had a story on this morning about him and noted that the police unions in dallas heavily disliked him and were trying to get him to resign within the last few months b/c he was difficult. Dallas saw less recruits y/y and they were cancelling classes due to low enrollment.

He fired a lot of cops that were responsible for being over aggressive in the area once he took over, believes that the police should be in communities because it helps build the relationship between police and the citizens, and is for gun control and is against open carry since it makes their jobs much more complicated

Saucy_XL

Banned

Could you not be so obtuse. He is very clearly saying they can't solve and shouldn't even be the ones "solving" that ". problem" He isn't saying single black women are a problem themselves either

MC Safety

The flying fuck is he talking about.

What about this police chief's statement do you not understand? It seems very straightforward.

Police officers are being overworked and deployed in situations for which they are either ill-suited or as substitutes for other authorities.

Boke1879

I don't think anyone is expecting cops to fix schools or most of the things he mentioned. People are protesting the unarmed killing of blacks.

Sure what he's talking about is larger societal problem, but I don't see what that has to do with the protests.

All we're asking is police be held more accountable in unjustified killings. Everything else he's saying it just noise in regards to that.

LiK

You guys should watch the full presser QA rather than reading a summary. He made good points and his tone was reserved. He wasn't saying anything really bad.

There's nothing to get mad about.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He didn't phrase it very politely but the core of his message is absolutely legitimate. Officers that are specialized to handle different types of situations would be a very good thing.

This.

"Failing schools" has to do with cops being put in schools where kids are constantly fighting. That's a legitimate gripe. Cops shouldn't be called upon to fix all those problems.

"Mental health" is obvious, and the government/schooling does nowhere near enough to provide services and make people aware of what is out there to help them.

"Drug addiction" can be helped by fixing the drug laws in our country. The "War on Drugs" was a colossal failure.

The rest of it he's just talking about people being responsible for their own actions. Lock up your dogs, be good parents to your children, etc.

His core message is 100% on target.

Kthulhu

Good points made, but his solution contradicts his complaints. If you think the cops are overwhelmed by societal problems, why is your solution to hire more cops, instead of fixing the problems themselves ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom