• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered network test (PS4 and Xbox One) set for May 11 and 12

NovumAngel

Banned
The network test for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Dark Souls Remastered will run on May 11 and 12, From Software announced.

The large-scale network stress test will be free to download and play, and is meant to ensure that the game will be able to manage its online capabilities on the day of release.

Japan
The network test version client is now available for download on the Japanese PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store.
It will be playable at the following times:

May 11 at 19:00 to 22:00 JST
May 12 from 19:00 to 22:00 JST

North America
The network test version client will be available for download on the PlayStation Store and Xbox Games Store on May 1.
It will be playable at the following times, obtained via the United States Xbox Games Store:

May 11 from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. PT
May 12 from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. PT

Europe
Check back shortly. We’re still waiting on the announcement / unsure of whether the European network test is being held at a different time. The Xbox Games Store listings for European territories did not list a date or time when we checked.

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/dark-souls-remastered-ps4-xbox-one-network-test-set-may-11-12

The PSN blog for Europe lists the beta download for tomorrow (the 2nd): https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...n-releases-you-should-look-out-for-this-week/

As the game's release is delayed on the Switch, the beta is also delayed.

DavidGzz

Sweet. I'll be giving it a try to see if the upgrade is worth the $40 on console.

Last edited:

Horns

At least they did it at reasonable times. I recall the original DS2 network test was from 2am-5am EST. I fell asleep waiting for it.

Pejo

The overall quality of this remaster "demo" will determine if I get the PC version at all, or just continue to enjoy vanilla PTD version. I want to see what's changed besides animated leaves and them ruining invading with too many summons.

Ar¢tos

I honestly doubt that they have fixed anything. I have no doubt that all the camera exploits to get outside of the map and duping glitches will still be there.

ickythingz

Banned
Glad to see them testing the network. Hopefully that means stuff is fixed, but as others have said, I doubt anything has changed. Such a shame too. If these titles had good netcode then these games would be so much more in the limelight for pvp streaming.

xviper

the beta is playable now, i'm a pro soulsborne player who played since Demon's came out and finished all games multiple times except DS3 because it sucks

i kept saying that Bloodborne and DS3 were WAAAYY too easy compared to the older games and the response i get is always "you just got good at the series"

i haven't played DS1 in over 4 years, and now since i tried it, i got my ass kicked, i knew it wasn't because i got better, DS1 was actually hard and Bloodborne and DS3 are MUCH easier

hopefully these newcomers who keep saying BB and DS3 are hard, will now try the reason why Soulsborne series is famous for it's difficulty

the beta is playable now, i'm a pro soulsborne player who played since Demon's came out and finished all games multiple times except DS3 because it sucks

i kept saying that Bloodborne and DS3 were WAAAYY too easy compared to the older games and the response i get is always "you just got good at the series"

i haven't played DS1 in over 4 years, and now since i tried it, i got my ass kicked, i knew it wasn't because i got better, DS1 was actually hard and Bloodborne and DS3 are MUCH easier

hopefully these newcomers who keep saying BB and DS3 are hard, will now try the reason why Soulsborne series is famous for it's difficulty
Does it really matter? Like really..

Codes 208

Well DS1 had the tree of bullshit so yeah of course its harder than 3 and BB. But that doesnt mean the latter arenr good. I loved the boss designs of 3 and BB there were still plenty of challenging or memorable bosses like pontiff sulyvahn, nameless king, orphan of kos, the slave knight, ludwig and the lothric princes

I mean theyre still a step up from ds2 and from what ive seen DeS.

But i digress, how far does the test go in the game?

Mathrin

Does it really matter? Like really..

Reads like attempts at low level souls trolling to me.

I mean, I refuse to believe someone can actually type something like that and not be ironic or trolling. Or both.

Come on. "Pro Soulsborne player?" and having to state from the outset you've completed the games multiple times to give your statements more legitimacy? lollers.

Last edited:

xviper

turns out that there is a VERY EASY mode in the beta for newcomers who started with BB, it's called "Black Knight" and you can kill the boss in 4-5 hits

but be warned, the full game won't be like the beta if you played as Black Knight, if you want to try the real full game then play as a Knight

xviper

Well DS1 had the tree of bullshit so yeah of course its harder than 3 and BB. But that doesnt mean the latter arenr good. I loved the boss designs of 3 and BB there were still plenty of challenging or memorable bosses like pontiff sulyvahn, nameless king, orphan of kos, the slave knight, ludwig and the lothric princes

I mean theyre still a step up from ds2 and from what ive seen DeS.

But i digress, how far does the test go in the game?
i never mentioned anything about BB not being good, BB is a masterpiece, but Dark souls 3 is garbage, and both are extremely easy compared to DS1

i don't know why people find Bed of Chaos hard, it's the easiest boss in the game, it's not a boss, it's a platforming section

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Bed of Chaos is the easiest boss in soul games... Its not the game's fault that players run to each side and make it harder for themselves. Just run to the middle and throw firebombs to each side.
None of the 3 Souls is harder than the other, the difference is that some souls have ways to make it easier, it's something very different from the others being harder or not.

Codes 208

i never mentioned anything about BB not being good, BB is a masterpiece, but Dark souls 3 is garbage, and both are extremely easy compared to DS1

i don't know why people find Bed of Chaos hard, it's the easiest boss in the game, it's not a boss, it's a platforming section
Meh. I thought ds3 was pretty solid. They all were (except maybe 2.)

And youre right, its a platforming section in a game known for slower, sometimes clunky movement. That aside i recognize the game still has amazing bosses like manus and artorias.

Saiyan-Rox

On another note, I cant seem to find the network test on the xbox store.

It was only live until the 8th to download and then removed. Don't know why they did it this way but yeah if you didn't download it before then you're out of luck.

Last edited:

xviper

as much as i love Dark souls 1, i don't feel like i want to replay it, i already have series fatigue and this "Remaster" isn't engaging at all, when they announced it i was excited and hoped they would actually fucking improve the gameplay and graphics up to date and add new bosses, but now, nothing changed at all, just a resolution, frame rates and 6 players online

PvP is still the worse in the series, the back stabbing fiesta returned, but hey, at least i can still do my old "Bow-and-backstab" trick, it still works even after more than 7 years lol, what i do is i bow before a duel to show respect, this is very common before doing any duel, but what i do is i bow more than once until i see my enemy just starting the bowing animation and i immediately run and backstab them, i usually just do it and run, i don't want to kill them, i just want them pissed off due to the betrayal and let them follow me and take revenge, i used to do this mostly in Anor londo, which is why i'm going to buy this "Remaster" i want the old hilarious memories back

Woffls

I can't say I'm bothered enough about replaying this to buy the remaster twice. I'll still get it on Switch, and might get the Steam upgrade... but I have so much other stuff that I can't be bothered to play.

Also I don't remember that Black Knight going all the way down the stairs?!

Soodanim

I found DS3 difficult, partly due to the different timings for things like parrying. The poise system took some learning, too. Bed of Chaos isn't hard, it's a pain in the arse. You navigate round all of the nonsense knowing full well that at any moment you could be knocked into a death pit by a big sweeping branch coming from either side and there's not a great deal you can do about it if you're pushed.

Ar¢tos

Still haven't decided if I'm going to get this or not. After playing DS3 and BB, I'm afraid this will be disappointing. I remember the animations being clunky in the original, and the gameplay much "slower" than the more modern versions. I'm also afraid that the game population will be healthy only for a short time, after the first 2 or 3 weeks it will become hard to find people to play with since it's not really a "new" game.

sublimit

Banned
Am i the only one who finds the reactions (mostly from PC elitists) a bit exaggerated towards this remaster? And especially when coming from people who haven't even played the game in the first place? I mean sure the game looks a bit more saturated and the lighting is a bit more strong but honestly if you are letting trivial shit like that to stop you from experiencing one of the best games of all time then you were never really interested to play the game in the first place and you are loosing the essence of what gaming is really about.

Last edited:
Saw it on Xbox store a few days ago and downloaded it. Played it last night. Runs fast as hell, gotta be solid 60fps. Needs some enhancements though so hopefully the network test version isn't indicative of what the full game looks like. Not that it looks 'bad', it just looks like a real clean/super fast running Dark Souls 1. Playing on Xbox 1 X. I have it pre-ordered so I'll be playing the hell out of it regardless, it's my favorite out of all the Souls games (including Bloodborne).

Snoopycat

Banned
I was excited to play this again after so many years but I only played about 20 minutes before switching it off. It was about what I expected but I started wondering if I really want to go back to it. It costs £30 but I can think of better things to buy.

Is there a big difference? What kind of improvements are there? If it's purely cosmetic, then I find it hard to buy it on steam.

Also, when are they giving us info about the Switch version? All I've heard is summer some time.

Is there a big difference? What kind of improvements are there? If it's purely cosmetic, then I find it hard to buy it on steam.

Also, when are they giving us info about the Switch version? All I've heard is summer some time.

Dreamcast Guuuuuyyyyyyyyyyy's voice annoys me but this a decent vid in which he discusses and shows some of the changes. It looks better than I thought it would, definitely a Dark Souls 3 look about it.

I wouldn't go that far if we're talking about the Network test version. I'd say it looks worse than Dark Souls 2 or 3 on PC. It looks really clean/runs fast though.
I haven't played it, just going by what I watched in the video I posted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are on par, but some of the improvements definitely put me in mind of 3.

I haven't played it, just going by what I watched in the video I posted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are on par, but some of the improvements definitely put me in mind of 3.

Oh no doubt it's improved. I just want it to look all flashy with 4k/HDR :D. Like I said I'm playing it regardless, and it plays flawlessly.

-link removed-

Dreamcast Guuuuuyyyyyyyyyyy's voice annoys me but this a decent vid in which he discusses and shows some of the changes. It looks better than I thought it would, definitely a Dark Souls 3 look about it.

From my perspective as a souls player, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't try to do more tweaks, either in terms of enemies or the like. I personally appreciate both Dark Soul 2 and Dark Souls 2: SotF, and have both on console and pc. So would've been better to be a bit more ambitious in the remaster outside of the graphical upgrades, as it would definitely entice previous souls players even more.

From my perspective as a souls player, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't try to do more tweaks, either in terms of enemies or the like. I personally appreciate both Dark Soul 2 and Dark Souls 2: SotF, and have both on console and pc. So would've been better to be a bit more ambitious in the remaster outside of the graphical upgrades, as it would definitely entice previous souls players even more.
Agreed. I platinum'd it on the PS3 and there's not enough here to tempt me back.

Ar¢tos

I was excited to play this again after so many years but I only played about 20 minutes before switching it off. It was about what I expected but I started wondering if I really want to go back to it. It costs £30 but I can think of better things to buy.
Agreed. I platinum'd it on the PS3 and there's not enough here to tempt me back.
Thats my situation too. Sadly I cannot try the beta as I am away this weekend, I have other games I want to play and don't know what to give priority to. I might wait for a under 20$ sale just to satisfy the nostalgia and wait for a proper new game from FROM to buy at launch. I fear that after playing 30min I'll think I Could just plug my ps3 on again just to get the original souls feel instead of wasting 40$.

Ar¢tos

They didnt. Not impressed, not for 40€.
Agree 100%.
(example) Crash Bandicoot N'Sane trilogy. 3 games REMADE from the ground up - 39.99$
Dark Souls Remastered - upgraded the lighting, increased player count and resolution and done some minor QoL adjustments leaving a lot of the issues of the original game untouched - 39.99$

They basically want us to pay 19.99$ for the remaster + 20$ for being Dark Souls.
It's a ridiculous cash grab.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Agree 100%.
(example) Crash Bandicoot N'Sane trilogy. 3 games REMADE from the ground up - 39.99$
Dark Souls Remastered - upgraded the lighting, increased player count and resolution and done some minor QoL adjustments leaving a lot of the issues of the original game untouched - 39.99$

They basically want us to pay 19.99$ for the remaster + 20$ for being Dark Souls.
It's a ridiculous cash grab.

To get a basically locked 60 FPS game in the areas where even the PC version, on good PC’s, got in the 10-15 FPS, it means that the engine was reviewed quite in depth and/or replaced to ensure it does not drop even in worst case scenarios (meaning that in other areas the game unlocked could run well above 60 FPS).

Crash Bandicoot remaster was a very good deal, but it was a much older and simpler game to port by comparison (static camera, linear paths, and a much greater power difference between consoles). Was it a better deal than this? Possibly so, but it does not make $39 for the Xbox One/PS4 version robbery.

lukilladog

To get a basically locked 60 FPS game in the areas where even the PC version, on good PC’s, got in the 10-15 FPS, it means that the engine was reviewed quite in depth and/or replaced to ensure it does not drop even in worst case scenarios (meaning that in other areas the game unlocked could run well above 60 FPS).

It´s called rendering bug fixing, you want a patch and an apology.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It´s called rendering bug fixing, you want a patch and an apology.

Not sure if you are serious... when something has hat behaviour, often you need to rearchitecht it not just kick it in a few places and hope for the best. They could have pushed the game rendering and special effect changes even further, but for a game that was on some cases even too ambitious for its target HW (see DF’s LOD comment in their review)... I think that migrating it to a new game engine, improving lighting and effects, and updatibg its logic and animation system to support a pretty much locked 60 FPS gameplay is not a bad/evil cash grab all things considered.

lukilladog

Not sure if you are serious... when something has hat behaviour, often you need to rearchitecht it not just kick it in a few places and hope for the best. They could have pushed the game rendering and special effect changes even further, but for a game that was on some cases even too ambitious for its target HW (see DF’s LOD comment in their review)... I think that migrating it to a new game engine, improving lighting and effects, and updatibg its logic and animation system to support a pretty much locked 60 FPS gameplay is not a bad/evil cash grab all things considered.

What´s the name of this new engine?.

Top Bottom