• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Remastered network test (PS4 and Xbox One) set for May 11 and 12

Ar¢tos

To get a basically locked 60 FPS game in the areas where even the PC version, on good PC’s, got in the 10-15 FPS, it means that the engine was reviewed quite in depth and/or replaced to ensure it does not drop even in worst case scenarios (meaning that in other areas the game unlocked could run well above 60 FPS).

Crash Bandicoot remaster was a very good deal, but it was a much older and simpler game to port by comparison (static camera, linear paths, and a much greater power difference between consoles). Was it a better deal than this? Possibly so, but it does not make $39 for the Xbox One/PS4 version robbery.
Shadow of the colossus remake also released for 39.99 and had shit ton more work than this upres and lighting upgrade. Since Dks was made in PhyreEngine, it's easy to assume that they ported it to the latest version that offers better lighting options and only bothered to change/fix the Framerate.

Cancelled my purchase at EB. Just not feeling it for this price with very little "remastered". I'll stick with 3 for now and maybe 2.

I have the PC version so $56 CDN isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Barakov

Definitely considering cancelling my preorder. It just doesn't seem like that much of a jump over the dsfix pc version. At least with DS II SOTFS there was a bunch of stuff that changed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shadow of the colossus remake also released for 39.99 and had shit ton more work than this upres and lighting upgrade. Since Dks was made in PhyreEngine, it's easy to assume that they ported it to the latest version that offers better lighting options and only bothered to change/fix the Framerate.

SotC remake had a lot more work invested into it (Uncharted collection had less changes, but it was all three games and had gameplay and visual tweaks on all of them) and it was a steal at $39, but it does not make this DS remaster, an upgrade of a relatively big in size and complexity PS3 title, a horrible cash grab still.

Maybe it was a simple engine update, but in applications where you could scale to to tons of threads (see PC version) and the code just won’t scale and thus being the frame rate down in the tens, getting it to run at 60+ FPS brings a certain amount of work.

People are free to think that other remasters at the same price are far more impressive, but expecting this to come out at $19-25 is devaluing the remaster too much IMHO.

Ar¢tos

People are free to think that other remasters at the same price are far more impressive, but expecting this to come out at $19-25 is devaluing the remaster too much IMHO.
Just wait 1-2 months and it will be half price, I have no doubt of that. It wouldn't be the first time Bamco did something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom