• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darrell Gallagher is leaving Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics gets new studio heads

Guys, please don't do it again. Remember the thread about the DriveClub game lead supposedly being fired and how that turned out. It seems highly unlikely this has to do with TR sales performance.

Something had to give in this situation. Say what you want about RoTR being a timed exclusive, but the inexcusable decision to launch on the same day as Fallout 4, in between the releases of CoD and Battlefront, was suicidal. The game didn't deserve to suffer the fate of languishing in that position, so I would be disappointed if there hadn't been a leadership change as a result.

Futurematic

his job as a double agent for microsoft?

Microsoft would never do such a thing. Just look at their successful acquisition of Nokia.

(Seriously though, guy probably had a few buddies at MS and liked working with MS overall, he got sold on the idea and helped sell it to SE with great big blinders on. Idiot, not agent.)

Orca

Microsoft would never do such a thing. Just look at their successful acquisition of Nokia.

(Seriously though, guy probably had a few buddies at MS and liked working with MS overall, he got sold on the idea and helped sell it to SE with great big blinders on. Idiot, not agent.)

It seems far more likely that, as it was going to go up against Uncharted and get zero sales on PS4, SE made a deal with MS to give them exclusivity they could crow about and then SE could release it on PS4 later - outside that Uncharted window. If they'd known Uncharted would be delayed, I doubt they'd have done the deal, but that's neither here nor there.

The guy leaving probably has nothing to do with sales. He left to do something else after 10 years, it doesn't have to be a conspiracy. I mean if you want to talk about 'great big blinders' then let's talk about the way every Tomb Raider thread here has to go the same fucking way every fucking time.

DeviantBoi

Man, that deal was bad for everyone around. Not only did both companies get bad press, but I'm sure they both lost money.

ethomaz

Banned
It was expected.
Some GAFers even caled It a year ago after the fiasco deal with MS.

It is sad see after these bad choices somebody head be cut :(

Doubt Sony will pay money to make TR exclusive for the sequel, series is tainted now.

On the other hand, for the next release it would probably make a lot of sense to partner with Sony for the marketing in the same way Destiny, Battlefront, MGSV, etc have done. Especially if Uncharted is finished after 4 - or at least dormant for a few years.

KC Denton

On the other hand, for the next release it would probably make a lot of sense to partner with Sony for the marketing in the same way Destiny, Battlefront, MGSV, etc have done. Especially if Uncharted is finished after 4 - or at least dormant for a few years.
I'm fairly confident Sony would rather start pushing Horizon as their flagship action/survival franchise once UC4 is done.

Nouzka

I think problem with that is, that Crystal Dynamics hasn't made a Playstation game in a long time, all their games to platforms other than Xbox has usually been ported by another studio, so they have a long history working with Microsoft/Xbox. I don't think Sony would have that much interest and same with Crystal Dynamics, although of course it would be Square Enix decision.

Alx

Mattrick already had a job lined up immediately after he left. I pretty sure he had every intention of leaving Xbox.

As a matter of fact it seems he was in discussion with Zynga even before the Xbox One reveal. Sometime in March IIRC (*edit : yup).

And yeah, people moving around in the industry isn't something unusual. It may or may not be related to the success of a project, but without getting more information about it it's pure speculation.

ethomaz

Banned
He left of his own free choice?
Like others before him... everybody in big positions left in common deal and have contact for new jobs.

But the job ends in how successful you did in the project and this case shows his decisions are related.

This is real world.

I'm fairly confident Sony would rather start pushing Horizon as their flagship action/survival franchise once UC4 is done.

Sure, but unless they're coming out very close together it's not really going to be an issue. And if anything, Sony would benefit from encouraging action-adventure fans that the PS4 should be the de facto platform for them, as their own games like Horizon and The Last of Us would by extension benefit. Plus, it seems likely that the next Tomb Raider game will be out much sooner than Horizon 2, so the two games clashing won't actually be a problem for Sony to consider.

I think problem with that is, that Crystal Dynamics hasn't made a Playstation game in a long time, all their games to platforms other than Xbox has usually been ported by another studio, so they have a long history working with Microsoft/Xbox. I don't think Sony would have that much interest and same with Crystal Dynamics, although of course it would be Square Enix decision.

Of course it would be Square Enix's decision, and seeing as they have a very close relationship with Sony then I think that makes it much more likely. Especially if CD mediated the previous deal with MS, which turned out to be a fucking car crash of an agreement.

QaaQer

isn't up to square-enix to accept/refuse a deal with MS for tomb raider? i don't think it's the guy fault for the sales

Most WW companies delegate decision making authority to the people they hire to run divisions. As for why he left or was asked to leave, the TR PR clisterfuck last year could have been a straw-camel's back thing for sure, esp for a traditional corporate jpn company. Id like to know his career highlights and where he ends up after CD before making wild guesses. IDK why some automatically think tr has zero role in this. It was a pretty big fuck up on several levels and the response from JPN was icy.

isn't up to square-enix to accept/refuse a deal with MS for tomb raider? i don't think it's the guy fault for the sales

The rumour is that CD were the ones that proposed the deal to their bosses at SE, so while they're not ultimately responsible for it getting the go ahead, it was their 'passion' for the Xbox brand that meant it existed in the first place.

Like others have said, CD is an Xbox exclussive development studio, and have been for about a decade. They leave the PC and Playstation ports to other studios, despite the fact those versions see better sales. The idea that they ignored all common sense and obvious fan backlash to get this deal made is all too realistic given their past actions.

ps3ud0

Like others have said, CD is an Xbox exclussive development studio, and have been for about a decade. They leave the PC and Playstation ports to other studios, despite the fact those versions see better sales. The idea that they ignored all common sense and obvious fan backlash to get this deal made is all too realistic given their past actions.
Blessing in disguise considering how much better the Nixxes ports are than CD ones on their lead platform

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom