• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DashCon Organizers Release Statement. DashCon 2 Confirmed for Next Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

http://www.dashcon.org/

Why did we still need $17,000, and where did it go?

With events like ours, it’s not entirely uncommon for there to be an outstanding balance at the time of the event. Most of our funds should have come in throughout the weekend, though our ‘at the door’ sales absolutely deflated after the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon debacles—and with good reason. As you’ll see below, we had already paid in $21,000 prior to arrival. Only about $7,000 was money still due on the venue itself, as $10,000+ was for ‘at event services,’ such as electricity, which wasn’t even quoted to us until a day or two prior to Thursday night’s early registration.

Should we have been more prepared? Absolutely. We’ve looked into the contract, and it’s come to light that the ‘net 30’ terms that were described by a member of DashCon’s upper management weren’t correct. Whether that misinformation was deliberate or accidental, we can’t say for sure. We can only say that we’ve taken measures to remove the person who handled that situation from our company.

Additionally, it was suggested that the Renaissance Schaumburg had denigrated our attendees, saying that they didn’t like the ‘type of clientele’ our event brought in. That has since been proven 100% untrue. When two of the Con Heads were told by the third that such a thing had been said or otherwise insinuated, it wasn’t wholly unbelievable—as it’s happened to so many other events in the past—and, in our state of panic, we believed what we were told, therein passing it along to our attendees. DashCon’s sincerest apologies go out to everyone who was hurt by this statement, including our attendees, vendors, staff members, and everyone at both the Renaissance Schaumburg and their parent company, Marriott International.

We have contacted the Renaissance Schaumburg since the close of our event, apologized for this misinformation, and taken the appropriate measures to repair our business relationship. DashCon is eternally grateful to hotel’s staff and management, who worked closely and endlessly with us over the course of the weekend—sometimes into the wee hours of the morning—for their overwhelming kindness prior to, during, and after the convention.

As for what we did with the $17,000 raised in under an hour—which, we would like to go on record as saying, absolutely touches and astounds us—a picture is worth a thousand words. While the hotel was not at liberty to release our accounting records, we have every right to do so. Please note both the $21,000 paid prior to arrival, as well as the money posted on the night of July 11 and morning of July 12.

More at the link.

Seems full of excuses to me. Still can't shake that this was a pretty obvious scam.

Anyway, official GAF presence for next year?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This is so gonna become an ironic so bad it's good convention. The Room of conventions, if you will.

No. People will go with that expectation, but it will be the same type of people who would have gone to Dashcon anyway. So you end up with the exact same quality of convention with somehow even less self awareness.

Savitar

In a world gone mad.
In a country where anything can be said.
There rises the event of our generation.

DashCon 2: Ball Pit Harder

This season you'll have balls in your face.

Mesoian

This is so gonna become an ironic so bad it's good convention. The Room of conventions, if you will.
Yeah, they'll make their goal money based off of the fame from the failure. It will be ironic and disappointing, like A tumblr con should be.

Kraftwerk

So when is GAFcon?

I am still accepting donations to purchase this island. It will be called GAFtopia.

16099775_source.jpg

http://www.jamesedition.com/real_estate/florida/key-largo/pumpkin-key-private-island-757099

€ 81 Million
$110 million

Pm me for donations.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Regarding refunds on Welcome to Night Vale reserved seating:

After speaking to our legal counsel, we have been advised that we are unable to provide refunds on these seats. This decision was based on several of DashCon’s Rules and Policies, which can be found here. The pertinent rules are quoted below:

#21: DashCon will not refund badges or reserved WTNV seats for any reason.
It has been confirmed that this rule was changed to reflect WTNV seats mid-event, but other rules render any change to #21 moot regardless.
#25: The Schedule is subject to change at any time, even during the convention.
Last line on the Rules and Policies page: “DashCon reserves the right to change these rules at any time, and attendees are responsible for their own individual knowledge of the convention rules.”​
DashCon has been instructed that refunding the reserved seats in direct opposition with our rules would call into question all of our rules and policies. We are both saddened by and understanding of this stance. Potentially losing the enforcement of all of our rules and policies is not something we can risk now or at any time in the future. For anyone who has questions regarding this decision, we will [upon request] direct you to our legal counsel.
This is rich.
KuGsj.gif

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I'd attend, there were a lot of girls there.

Just kidding, they're probably not the kind I'd like to meet.

royalan

This is rich.
KuGsj.gif

I got a good cackle out of that one, too. So...

--The rules will not be changed for any reason.
--...except for when we change them.
--We WANT to give you your money back...
--...but we've been advised by "legal counsel" not to break the rules in this specific, good faith case. Because that would call all of our rules into question....even though we just got done explaining how we've reserved the right to change rules at will.
--But seriously we WISH we could give you your money back.

Replicant

--...but we've been advised by "legal council" not to break the rules in this specific, good faith case. Because that would call all of our rules into question....even though we just got done explaining how we've reserved the right to change rules at will.

Is this for real? Because if it is,

iYFQRJX4OoxWo.gif

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
ded @ the wall of excuses followed by a Donate button at the bottom of the page.

Koomaster

--...but we've been advised by "legal council" not to break the rules in this specific, good faith case. Because that would call all of our rules into question....even though we just got done explaining how we've reserved the right to change rules at will.
Yeah don't think it's possible to pack bullshit any tighter unless you were a professional bullshit packer.

Replicant

With events like ours, it’s not entirely uncommon for there to be an outstanding balance at the time of the event. Most of our funds should have come in throughout the weekend, though our ‘at the door’ sales absolutely deflated after the Friday evening and Saturday afternoon debacles—and with good reason. As you’ll see below, we had already paid in $21,000 prior to arrival. Only about $7,000 was money still due on the venue itself, as $10,000+ was for ‘at event services,’ such as electricity, which wasn’t even quoted to us until a day or two prior to Thursday night’s early registration.

Should we have been more prepared? Absolutely. We’ve looked into the contract, and it’s come to light that the ‘net 30’ terms that were described by a member of DashCon’s upper management weren’t correct. Whether that misinformation was deliberate or accidental, we can’t say for sure. We can only say that we’ve taken measures to remove the person who handled that situation from our company.

This sounds shady and I'm not sure if I believe it. Also, their balance sheet thingy looks blurry and photoshopped.

Brakke

Banned

"Legal counsel". Unless they convened a council of counselors... which would probably be necessary to clean up this mess.

AlexMogil

I'm still firmly on the side of Dashcon being a huge scam, and will continue to feel bad for the people that were swindled.

Look.

They agreed to the rules.

But the rules changed.

But that's up to Dashcon council including mid-event.

So therefore:

They agreed to the rules.

Cyan

Banned
I'm still firmly on the side of Dashcon being a huge scam, and will continue to feel bad for the people that were swindled.

The best case scenario is that the organizers are hopeless bumbling idiots who vastly overpromised and underdelivered, had no clue what they were doing, and should never be put in charge of anything.

The best case scenario is that the organizers are hopeless bumbling idiots who vastly overpromised and underdelivered, had no clue what they were doing, and should never be put in charge of anything.

But please come to Dashcon 2015!

I really hope they were just idiots, even that case, I'll still feel sorry for the people that wanted to hang out and have a fun weekend. Most of them were teens, IIRC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Honestly, if there was any money here, I would definitely be interested in this case.

Zaph

In my time, I've booked quite a few conference halls and locations. Not once has the final payment been due less than 30 days prior to the event (obvious exception being last minute bookings, which usually require full payment immediately).

I cannot see how a Marriott property, of all places, could let the event take place without the balance paid in full. These bastards love to 'remind' you of the payment schedule about a dozen times.

There might be a very slim chance this "upper management" person they let go somehow brokered a special arrangement with Marriott Hotels so they could pay them once money at the door was collected (I'm laughing thinking about them saying yes, especially for a first time event) and somehow kept this a complete secret from everyone else.

I think the far more likely scenario is this mysterious "upper management" scammed everyone, but the owners are too stupid (or embarrassed) to realise what's happened under their nose, or they don't want to report it because it'll jeopardise Dashcon 2015 (lol).

Mariolee

I have a feeling some other site will infiltrate Dashcon next year and take over Hydra style. Whether it's 4chan, reddit, GAF, etc who knows?

I nose.

G-Fex

What a scam and it's amazing they've got the balls to announce another one. You can't get any more trollish than that.

So what's the mark next year? 25 thousand?

Joseph Fink, co-creator of Welcome To Night Vale, was throwing some shade their way the other day, made it seem like they were more dickish than incompetent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom