• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DashCon Organizers Release Statement. DashCon 2 Confirmed for Next Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
liquated
I don't know why, but that stood out to me. Maybe because if you're going to send out an apology letter, you should proof read it first.

Or use spell check at least.

also its fantastic that they try to say the rooms falling off their master list wasnt their fault but they still dont know what happened

heres what happened: you ran a shitty con poorly.

Levi

Banned
Obvious liars continue to lie.

They admit, at least, that the part about "the hotel hates us! Squares freaked out by our fursuits so they persecute us!" was a complete lie, but then lie again with their transparent excuses.

Adorable that they hide behind the sanctity of their terms and conditions as a good reason to keep money they collected under false pretenses.

Replicant

I don't know about you guys but GAF-Con has a nice ring to me.

Send me $17,000 to make it happen. To my personal PayPal account, of course.

I'm eagerly awaiting at least one lawsuit to arise out of this debacle. At least one lawyer has to be frothing at the mouth to get a class-action organized - either on behalf of the artists, attendees, or both. Poorly planning a convention is one thing. Failing to fulfill contractual agreements, or being unable to refund customers who came to a panel you were unable to fund in the first place - that's another thing.

Dashcon 2 will not happen.

If they were smart, they'd turn it into a tongue-in-cheek shitfest every year, a celebration of bad cons if you will. There are plenty of people that would pay to go and be a part of the joke.

check out that ballbit

This made me think of "dat ass", then I made this

kwYu8tw.jpg

sangreal

They actually have some more excuses on their tumblr page. This one is my favorite:

Committees were already in place when I arrived, and I still herald it as one of the worst business decisions that DashCon has ever made. Even in light of everything that transpired, I stand by that. In its conception stage, almost everyone trying to organize this convention was 13-17 years old, and there was no vetting process for becoming a committee head or member. That’s the mess I walked into, and I was still willing to try and clean it up. Honestly, those of us remaining with the organization had to work triple-time to get things to the point at which you guys see them now. The fact that, despite some failures, we had some successes is a positive under the circumstances. That means that more time will allow us to continue the clean up process while we rebuild.

What could possibly go wrong?

Random Acts:

We did intend to implement fundraising for Random Acts, but we hadn’t gotten the donation receptacles placed prior to things going pear shaped on Friday evening. In light of those events, we felt it was questionable whether they would even want us to continue with our original plan and, thus, we didn’t. I’ve since spoken to our Random Acts contact, and it seems we made the right decision. I’ve made an attempt to remove all Random Acts references from our blog. If you could point out what I missed, I’d like to remove that as well.

Panel Descriptions:

Most of our panel descriptions were written by an admin who left DashCon several months ago due to medical reasons. Neither Cain nor myself approved those descriptions, rather believing that the description approvals by others could be trusted. It has since become obvious that this isn’t the case, and we won’t be making that mistake again. Overlooking the detail of reading each description myself is inexcusable, and I can only promise that we do better next time. This is obviously something we’ll have to prove to you, but we’re willing to put in the time and effort to do so.

Attendance Numbers:

In the very beginning, we were using numbers that were gathered through an RSVP-style poll. For a first year convention, much of the initial information is based on informed guesses. Given that we had around 1500 people pre-registered, I still stand by the estimate that we’d have reached about 3000 if things had gone as planned. It was the issues we faced that deflated our ‘at-the-door’ sales, and with good reason. There was no intentional misleading done there. Also, we had stopped leaving the upper end at 7000, dropping it to 5500 due to space limitations.

Indiana Convention Center Attendance:

We actually didn’t tell the Indiana Convention Center that we only expected 2000 in attendance. The person who did our RFPs actually copied the number we used for this year’s convention (from around April 2013) when scouting out locations for 2015. I called this number into question, but I was told that it just needed to say something and the number on the RFP wasn’t really all that important. It bothered me at the time, but that number has played no role in our actual planning for 2015. Also, the 5000-8000 estimate was made prior to the events of this past weekend. Everything previously hypothesized must be reassessed at this point, save for the location and dates.

Former Admin & WTNV:

I have very little control over what others say and do. She was going off of the information that we knew and had made available when the convention ended. Since the press release, she has since rescinded her statements. Source: [x]

Raffle & IndieGoGo:

Cain and I have barely been home for 24 hours, and we spent the vast majority of today doing internal damage control, including the writing of the very long press release that we posted tonight. The raffle will happen within the week. I’m sorry for the delay, but it hasn’t been forgotten.

The IndieGoGo was never within the realm of my or Cain’s control. I was not brought on as a partner until May 28, 2013, whereas the IndieGoGo (based on the actual campaign page I just went and found) ended on April 13, 2013. Cain was not brought on until April 21, 2014— nearly a full year later. We have no right to speak to what was or was not done with rewards for this campaign, but I will attempt to reach out to DashCon’s former associates who were in charge at the time to try and get this question answered. I’m sorry I can’t provide more information right now.

Refunds:

Acting in opposition to one of our rules, as I’ve been told, does actually call all of our rules into question. The fact that someone changed rule 21 during the event has no bearing on the fact that rule 25 states: “The Schedule is subject to change at any time, even during the convention.” Everyone who bought a badge agreed to these rules, including the fact that the schedule could indeed change at any time. Sadly, that’s exactly what happened. That’s all there is to it. Additional questions about this policy would have to be addressed to our legal counsel, as this stance was formed around his expertise in the matter.

Thank you for your questions. We’re happy to listen to and answer whatever we can. Your questions and concerns are important to us, and we’re prepared to prove that in the coming weeks and months.

~Megg (and Cain)
http://dashcon.tumblr.com/post/92035400621/fuckno-con-dashcon-dashcon-separating-facts

I haven't seen this much deflecting since Shaggy. Everything is "Sorry, this is the fault of some other anonymous staff member who we promise no longer works here"

Dashcon is my trigger.

What a sad, pathetic sack of scam artists. Whats sad is that the next event is guaranteed to make bank from the amount of people going for the "lulz". The fact that they said they changed their refund policy DURING the event that was crashing and burning says it all, unfortunately.

Toxi

Banned
I have a feeling some other site will infiltrate Dashcon next year and take over Hydra style. Whether it's 4chan, reddit, GAF, etc who knows?

I nose.
Stealing control of DashCon is kinda like stealing your friend's razor-covered dildo.

rpmurphy

Refunds:

Acting in opposition to one of our rules, as I’ve been told, does actually call all of our rules into question. The fact that someone changed rule 21 during the event has no bearing on the fact that rule 25 states: “The Schedule is subject to change at any time, even during the convention.” Everyone who bought a badge agreed to these rules, including the fact that the schedule could indeed change at any time. Sadly, that’s exactly what happened. That’s all there is to it. Additional questions about this policy would have to be addressed to our legal counsel, as this stance was formed around his expertise in the matter.
I don't think those wanting a refund for those WTNV tickets even gave the extra ball pit hour a proper look. You know how much it costs to rent an adult-sized ball pit? Talk about entitlement, geez.

Alfredo

When the “extra hour in the ball pit” was posted, the Con Head who posted it had never actually seen the product we received, and those of us who had were unavailable to provide input at the time.

It shouldn't matter whether or not one is familiar with that particular ball pit. It's still a freakin' ball pit and no one in their right mind would think any amount of time in it would be considered adequate compensation. The person who added the ball pit line had to have added it in as a joke...there's no way it could've been serious... But I guess the whole con was a joke.

Koomaster

Obvious liars continue to lie.

They admit, at least, that the part about "the hotel hates us! Squares freaked out by our fursuits so they persecute us!" was a complete lie, but then lie again with their transparent excuses.

Adorable that they hide behind the sanctity of their terms and conditions as a good reason to keep money they collected under false pretenses.
It's a classic liars technique. You admit the truth to a previous inconsequential lie (that is not your fault or you had no control over) and then tell some more lies. It fools your listener into thinking; well he fessed up to this, so everything else he's saying must be true as well.

Basically; 'We told a lie about what the hotel said only because it was told to us by this other guy; so our bad. Other than that we had no part in anything that went wrong; please come to Dashcon'15'

In this case the lies they want people to believe is that even though they were the heads of this event; EVERYTHING that went wrong is the fault of a 'past associate' or some other person who has already left their 'company'. Also gosh darnit they really want to give refunds but it's this other guy over here who says they cannot.

If an actual lawsuit is brought over this, I doubt their rules would stand up in court since they basically said they can change them whenever they please. That's not how contracts work. Even without that; withholding goods/services/refunds after someone has paid is fraud. Through their own fault they were not able to deliver what people paid for; that's not a scheduling change. Otherwise I could sell tickets to a Beyonce concert; and write on all the tickets that I'm not responsible for scheduling changes. Then run off with the money because I had no intention of paying Beyonce to perform.

Anyway, if they were genuine about any of their apologies and excuses, they would refund the Nightvale money despite what their 'legal counsel' said. They are just using him as another excuse and praying nobody brings a lawsuit down on them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm eagerly awaiting at least one lawsuit to arise out of this debacle. At least one lawyer has to be frothing at the mouth to get a class-action organized - either on behalf of the artists, attendees, or both. Poorly planning a convention is one thing. Failing to fulfill contractual agreements, or being unable to refund customers who came to a panel you were unable to fund in the first place - that's another thing.

Dashcon 2 will not happen.
Honestly, if there was any money here, I would definitely be interested in this case.
My firm does class actions.

1. There were not enough artists/panelists to justify a class action on their behalf, so you're looking at filing individual lawsuits on their behalf.

2. There are probably enough attendees to justify a class action. Then you have to think about the basis for your suit. What claims are you going to make? Looking at the attendees as a whole (or at least those who purchased advanced tickets to the Con itself), what do you sue under? Breach of contract? Breach of warranty (express or implied? There are some problems with these. The Con was actually held. That the schedule changed with some panelists not appearing might not be actionable, as their policies did state beforehand that the schedule was subject to change. An analogy would be purchasing tickets to a baseball game that is rained out after five innings. You paid for a ticket to a whole game, but only got to see half a game. Depending upon their policy, the baseball team does not have to replace or refund your ticket. Look at the NY Yankees, policy, for example: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ticketing/policy.jsp

Fraud? Most states frown heavily upon class actions premised on fraud theories. I know they're not viable here in Alabama, and I doubt they'd be viable in Illinois or in Ohio.

3. Those attendees who purchased tickets to the Nightvale concert definitely have a claim in my opinion. The concert was never held due to the organizer's own actions. They can't just hide behind a policy of "oh, our schedule might change, no refunds!" when this is an extra event requiring a separate ticket. The way they addressed was both laughable and infuriating at the same time. However, this brings me to my final point:

4. Money. Unless Dashcon had insurance policies covering financial mishaps, then I just don't think there would be any money to go after. Furthermore, the amount of money that we're talking about in relation to the Nightvale events (at the most a person could be out $20), just makes this a case not even worth pursuing. The cost of prosecuting such a class action would erode any benefit to either the attendees or the law firm who took the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom