• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone director : "Days gone 2 could have released a month ago"

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah that’s the only thing the game had to offer, a cringy line. 🤦🏻‍♂️

As a whole DS was a good game sold well, and was well recived by gamers.

Games much worse with less success got sequels.
If the alternative is GaaS then yes I would rather take a sequel to DS rather than GaaS but the game was average at best.

SkylineRKR

This game also sparked my hate for copy paste news sites and no fact checking.

The ride me like I ride your bike quote has context. In fact, its a pretty good reference to their first moment or proposal;

When they first went out or when he wanted to propose, I forgot, she told him she hated typical biker marriages and typical jokes like ride me like your bike. She wanted a different marriage than that shit. Then she said it herself to take the piss.

Really, people who quote the line and base their opinion on that, I can immediately see they haven't played the game and are simply parrotting. And I must admit, I saw it in some reviews too and thought this game had some cringe as shit writing but then I gave it a chance and it wasn't so bad actually. I was surprised the delivery made sense even.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This game also sparked my hate for copy paste news sites and no fact checking.

The ride me like I ride your bike quote has context. In fact, its a pretty good reference to their first moment or proposal;

When they first went out or when he wanted to propose, I forgot, she told him she hated typical biker marriages and typical jokes like ride me like your bike. She wanted a different marriage than that shit. Then she said it herself to take the piss.

Really, people who quote the line and base their opinion on that, I can immediately see they haven't played the game and are simply parrotting. And I must admit, I saw it in some reviews too and thought this game had some cringe as shit writing but then I gave it a chance and it wasn't so bad actually. I was surprised the delivery made sense even.
That line is cringe even with context.

Sleepwalker

I believe Sony was planing to shift funding to their ”10 GaaS games” that needed resources. DG2 was the first one to go.

Who knows what else got canned because of their GaaS garbage. I mean DG was a bigger success financially than Death Stranding even. So weird what happend with DG tbh.

Sony cancelling days gone 2:

'Hey Bend, your game did not meet our expectations so we are not going to go ahead with a sequel. Sorry"

" Sony Bend: Aww too bad but ok"

Sony trying to cancel Death Stranding 2:

"Hey Hideo, Death Stranding wasn't as big of a hit as we hoped so we are not going to provide funding for a sequel, we are sorry"

Kojima: " I will make all my games for xbox then"

Sony: " Just a prank bro dont be like that, ofc we making DS2"

Thyuda

I believe Sony was planing to shift funding to their ”10 GaaS games” that needed resources. DG2 was the first one to go.

Who knows what else got canned because of their GaaS garbage. I mean DG was a bigger success financially than Death Stranding even. So weird what happend with DG tbh.

The line isn't even cringe, and you can always tell who played the game and not by the judgement of this single line. It makes a lot of sense in the context of the whole game what Sarah says here.

Yoboman

Days Gone took itself too seriously

Would have been a much better game if it was a bit on the silly side like Dead Rising

Flutta

Banned
The line isn't even cringe, and you can always tell who played the game and not by the judgement of this single line. It makes a lot of sense in the context of the whole game what Sarah says here.
I didn’t mind it tbh. It’s mostly the woke crowd that tried to find faults with in the game and some of them attacked it using that line among other things.

If Decon had a gay relationship and they used that same line, no critic would’ve dared to opened their mouth.

Perrott

New statements from Jeff Ross in regards to Days Gone 2:

Ross: Sony higher ups like Hermen were never fans [of Days Gone], so you won't hear about it at the PlayStation State of Play today or ever.
Q: What could Bend be working on now?
Ross: Whatever it is, they've spent at least a quarter of a billion dollars on it. I'm no businessman, but that's crazy given the fact Sony didn't want to fund a Days Gone sequel for the bargain basement price of a hundred fifty million (insane numbers all around, to be honest).
Q2: So Days Gone 2 not happening was a result of PS Studios not giving it the greenlight? Because from your interviews with David Jaffe and Colin Moriarty it seemed that there were creative leads and managers over at Bend that either didn't want to pursue Days Gone 2 or were at odds with you on the vision for it.
Ross: What I tried to say in those interviews is that corporate was always against it. For a while there was the pretense that we would make a sequel, but that ended quickly.

Puscifer

Ross: Sony higher ups like Hermen were never fans [of Days Gone], so you won't hear about it at the PlayStation State of Play today or ever.
Ross: Whatever it is, they've spent at least a quarter of a billion dollars on it. I'm no businessman, but that's crazy given the fact Sony didn't want to fund a Days Gone sequel for the bargain basement price of a hundred fifty million (insane numbers all around, to be honest).
Q2: So Days Gone 2 not happening was a result of PS Studios not giving it the greenlight? Because from your interviews with David Jaffe and Colin Moriarty it seemed that there were creative leads and managers over at Bend that either didn't want to pursue Days Gone 2 or were at odds with you on the vision for it.
Ross: What I tried to say in those interviews is that corporate was always against it. For a while there was the pretense that we would make a sequel, but that ended quickly.
They need to get over it, games get canceled and sequels aren't greenlit ALL the time

More reason to why I'm not keen on "The Hulster" leading the studios. Got a hunch the guy is going to greenlight some really banal and dry pitches.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I remember watching the reveal during a Sony E3 presentation and thinking, "Eh, looks mediocre as hell. Might have potential, though. I'll probably try it when it releases, maybe they'll surprise me."

I did try it when it released, but they did not surprise me.

simpatico

It's for the best. Days Gone will go down as a cult classic and the sequel will be an eternal "what if?". I've got little faith that Sony would even do a sequel justice, especially in terms of story and characters. There's a good chance them releasing a sequel could hurt the reputation of the original.

simpatico

Days Gone took itself too seriously

Would have been a much better game if it was a bit on the silly side like Dead Rising
That was the best part about it. We've got enough games with jokester main characters and their merry band of wise cracking, diverse side kicks. The meta trope sense of humor is at least 15 years past it expiration date. TBH we should have put it to bed after Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

That was the best part about it. We've got enough games with jokester main characters and their merry band of wise cracking, diverse side kicks. The meta trope sense of humor is at least 15 years past it expiration date. TBH we should have put it to bed after Pirates of the Caribbean 2.
Yep, it's what ruined every Assassins Creed after the first one. Altair did not fuck around and killed people who spilled the beans in cold blood after interrogating them.

Then they made Ezio this "hot guy" stereotype and the rest is history.

Solarstrike

Having watched yesterday's State of Play, yeah. Days Gone 2 should have been greenlit. SONY has to keep these games going because that's what people enjoy, especially if coop gameplay was added (sequel). Smh, Sony has been making some poor decisions of late. The PC porting is great but man, get a clue.

I'm always astonished on how many people liked days gone. It's probably the only AAA first party game from Sony that I didn't like in YEARS. Boring characters, boring gameplay and had dog shit performance when it first launched. Im probably not gonna be too interested in whatever Bends next project is, as I don't trust them after Days gone. But if it was Days gone 2, that would have been an automatic out from me.

I can when what's happening is extremely unfair and is a result of a bunch of corporate morons being biased against your creation because it doesn't agree with their retarded standards
from what came out, it sounded like the days gone 2 pitch was garbage though. Turned it into a co-op game.
I loved Days Gone. It's probably my favorite game from last gen. But a co-op sequel? No thanks!

A sequel would have been a safe bet and could have brought a good ROI to SIE, especially considering it's gotten very positive user reception not only on PS4, but also later on with the PC release. I have a feeling that some higher-ups at SIE were quite butthurt by the lukewarm critical reception the game received otherwise I can't understand why they wouldn't greenlight the sequel (we know from the leaked sales figures that it sold well and those don't even include the PC sales).

Yet, some of the most interesting revelations are found a little further down the sales chart. For instance, Days Gone is actually one of the best-selling new franchises on this list, as the PS4 version of that title seemingly sold a whopping 7+ million units in the reported timeframe. That number doesn’t include the sales figures for the PC version of the game, which are referenced but not detailed.

Last edited:

proandrad

Bro needs to let it go. His wanna be Walking dead game wasn’t good enough for Sony to dump 150million+ on a sequel. Dude thinks his shitty game is bloodborne or something.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
indiana jones father GIF

rm082e

I played this one really late after all the patches, so I wasn't around for the buggy launch. But I loved it. I recently bought it on PC to play through it again and got a dozen hours in before getting sidetracked with other games.

I really loved the horde challenges. Fun combat puzzles.

Top Bottom