• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 not going to be released in Germany

THEaaron

Yeah, we have to import games from our fellow neighbours. That is one wonderful example why too much DRM is not good for some customers. I personally have to activate games through cloudy vpn tunnels sometimes.

Feels odd as an adult.

halfbeast

Banned
Day One Ban 2013

they probably gonna compensate with Kinect Pool or Kinect Bowling - like they did with the sorry-you-got-hacked-free-games on the PSN. :B

danielcw

So what is the USK saying?
(USK = German ratings company for games)

In theory, though, these games could be sold to adults, if the store has the means to prevent children from entering. I personally object to this procedure, but I can understand where they're coming from.

Or "under" the counter.
Your local gamestore can sell it or order it for you.
Sometimes Gamestop has bigger indexed or unrated titles near launch, if you ask for it.

Now imagine we would have the always online DRM with activation. Germans couldn't even import it. Really dodged a bullet there.

There is, it is called Steam (or your other DD service of choice)
How it is handled depends on the publisher.
Some games can be activated without problems, some with some VPN/IP trickery, and I guess some can't.

On the 360, Microsoft did not want games without a rating.
Also, even if you could play the imported copy, there will be no DLC on the Xbox Live marketplace for Germany

Occassionally they also ban software (indexing =/ banning), as in the case of Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2.

The second was banned, too?

I never heard of actual bannings, you mean they confiscated already released copies?

Dead Rising 1, by court order.

They really need to get over this.

Why? Nobody knows exactly what makes the US how it is, but it's a ridiculously violent country. Is it really a shock that others aren't in a rush to do things exactly as we do and try to give us a run for our on money when it comes to violent crimes per capita?

KHlover

Banned
They refused to give Dead Rising 3 a rating. This enabled the BPjM (not gonna use the stupid english translation) to ban the game according to §15 Abs 2. JuSchG

Or "under" the counter.
Your local gamestore can sell it or order it for you.
Sometimes Gamestop has bigger indexed or unrated titles near launch, if you ask for it.
Not if the game is outright banned. Indexed games can be sold under the counter, all copies of banned games are to be confiscated and destroyed.

There is, it is called Steam (or your other DD service of choice)
How it is handled depends on the publisher.
Some games can be activated without problems, some with some VPN/IP trickery, and I guess some can't.
Yup, usually checks out if someone gifts you the game.

On the 360, Microsoft did not want games without a rating.
Also, even if you could play the imported copy, there will be no DLC on the Xbox Live marketplace for Germany

The second was banned, too?

Dead Rising 1, by court order.

They didn't rate it. I mean that's the only way that the BPJM is actually allowed to index/ban games. If USK gives a rating (from not restricted all to 18+) the BPJM isn't allowed to take action.

Burt

Does Germany do this for movies too? It would be pretty ridiculous if they did it for games and not movies.

Addnan

Microsoft managed to get uncut Gears 3 published in Germany if I recall correctly and that had really gruesome executions. Rules are applied so randomly.

Marvel

could never
Oh man I feel for my German Brothers and Sisters :( you got my sympy and I hope they change their damn mind.

Taker34

Banned
I think the rules say that if one game has been indexed, all sequels are on the index automatically.

Gears 1 and 2 -> Index
Gears 3 -> USK 18 rating

The biggest problem is that politician in Germany have no clue about video games. They think it'll turn people into school-shooting zombies. Some of our media is sometimes even worse than FOX news in this regard.
Another problem would be the USK/BPjM which are too strict and should get replaced by PEGI.
We're in the EU, with hopefully more standarized laws which should definitely apply to our video game content rating system!

Well, at least the USK became way more liberal. They release way more 18 rated games which would be surely banned 5 or 8 years ago. Still, it's about the principle! Censorship is wrong. Especially if we talk about art! The worst part of censorship is

Lautaro

Why? Nobody knows exactly what makes the US how it is, but it's a ridiculously violent country. Is it really a shock that others aren't in a rush to do things exactly as we do and try to give us a run for our on money when it comes to violent crimes per capita?

You gotta be kidding me, since when playing violent uncensored games is something exclusive to the US? (besides the awful and recycled idea that it can lead to real violence).

danielcw

Do Germans even buy their localized games? I imagine ppl just import from "neighbors".

Why wouldn't Germans buy their games locally?
Besides the usual price factor, there is no big reason to import.

I think the rules say that if one game has been indexed, all sequels are on the index automatically.

I am pretty sure, no such rule exists, and there would be many counter examples to that in many old series.

They didn't rate it. I mean that's the only way that the BPJM is actually allowed to index/ban games. If USK gives a rating (from not restricted all to 18+) the BPJM isn't allowed to take action.

Yeah, but did the USK actually see or preview the game, or comment on it.
The news in the OP does not mention it.
And I haven't heard about the USK and Dead Rising 3 yet, but maybe I just missed that news.

You know whats funny Off the Record is not banned, despite Dead Rising 2 being banned. Shows how great the system works.

Haven't played either game, but what is funny about it?
The games have different content, don't they?

You can thank these 3 guys for it, who get to decide for the rest of adult Germans what's best for them.

BPjM_die-drei_600.jpg

danielcw

You can thank these 3 guys for it, who get to decide for the rest of adult Germans what's best for them.

BPjM_die-drei_600.jpg

If you are an adult, then those 3 people don't, and can't, decide whcih games you play, own, buy or sell.

Censored to hell and back isn't big enough reason?
It is, but most games, as in the vast majority, are "uncensored".
And whether the difference is big enough is another debate, probably very subjective.

bidguy

Banned
yep.

gta V gets a rating but this one doesnt

you just know that these corrupt fucks got the rockstar moneyhat

Taker34

Banned
Indexed: legal
Banned: Illegal

Wrong. Both are legal. Indexed games can't be openly advertised (you can't even mention their names in video game magazines) but you can order them at any video game store and it's no problem.
Banned games can't be imported from retailers, but you can import them yourself and it's no problem either. I imported Condemned for example and there's no law which would stop you from doing so.

Why wouldn't Germans buy their games locally?
Besides the usual price factor, there is no big reason to import.

I am pretty sure, no such rule exists, and there would be many counter examples to that in many old series.

Yeah, but did the USK actually see or preview the game, or comment on it.
The news in the OP does not mention it.
And I haven't heard about the USK and Dead Rising 3 yet, but maybe I just missed that news.

Haven't played either game, but what is funny about it?
The games have different content, don't they?
Off The Record is pretty much DR2 with Frank West instead of Chuck Greene I thought

KHlover

Banned
What about personal imports, if I go myself to another EU country, buy the game therer, and bring it back with me?

That's complicated. If the border police stops you, you can be charged for importing the banned game. This can result in a fine or imprisonment of up to 3 years.

However, contrary to popular belief, the possession of a banned game is NOT illegal, if they don't catch you at the border you'll be fine.

Computerspiele unterfallen nicht den Ausnahmeregelungen zu verfassungswidrigen Symbolen. Beispielsweise ist die Verwendung in Dokumentarfilmen (§86 III StGB) oder Spielfilmen [bloße Duldung, Liesching/Schuster, a. a. O, S. 564] möglich. Da insoweit keine Jugendschutzbelange betroffen sind, verstoßen auch Erwachsene gegen das Einfuhrverbot. Ein Erziehungsprivileg gibt es hier nicht. Händlern wie auch Verbrauchern drohen bis zu drei Jahre Haft oder Geldstrafe, unabhängig vom Bestehen einer Indizierung. Der bloße Besitz ist nicht verboten [vgl. Politische-bildung-brandenburg.de]. Kommt nachträglich heraus, dass ein Spiel doch (versteckte) Symbole enthielt, muss K das Spiel nicht zurückgeben. Sammler derartiger Medien, aufgepasst: Gerichte können je nach Zahl der vorhandenen Medien ein „Vorrätighalten“ zum Zwecke der Verbreitung feststellen. In diesem Fall würde wiederum der Straftatbestand greifen.

Politische-bildung-brandenburg.de

Ogni-XR21

Does Germany do this for movies too? It would be pretty ridiculous if they did it for games and not movies.

They do, but there are double standards. While Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade got a regular theatrical/video/dvd release the point and click adventure game had the swastikas removed for the German release.

On the other hand, comedy skits like this one (a spin on a German rip off of The Office) set in Nazi Germany are fair game. It's total bullshit imo.

Taker34

Banned
This would be a change that I would love to have, even as an option. A city full of dumb Terminators is more conceptually interesting than just plain old zombies.

Did you know that we never had Contra III for the SNES in Germany? Instead we have Super Probotector. It's the same game but with robots... so Robo Rising 3 confirmed!

KHlover

Banned
They do, but there are double standards. While Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade got a regular theatrical/video/dvd release the point and click adventure game had the swastikas removed for the German release.

On the other hand, comedy skits like this one (a spin on a German rip off of The Office) set in Nazi Germany are fair game. It's total bullshit imo.

1.) Don't you DARE to call Stromberg a "rip-off"! It's far too good to be called that. It's a German take on the format!

2.) The explanation actually is pretty simple. "Works of Art, Science, Research [blablae]..." are allowed to use these unconstitutional symbols. In a case against Wolfenstein 3D it wasn't ruled as either of these and thus not allowed to make use of the symbols. Since then nobody bothered to go court again and rather censored the games.

Where was this department in the the early 1920s.
Existing. It was founded in 1926. But since anti-semitism wasn't really a problem back then...

Nokterian

So 3 people choose what the whole country can see and could not see. Even after all these years and still doing this against freedom of speech and artistic vision. To me it's dumb and why we in the netherlands never will see this.

Top Bottom