• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack is working "on an IP that's our most requested" for the next generation.

Neiteio

Man, I so badly want whatever this is to be Eternal Darkness 2. You don't think Dyack would refer to Too Human as "highly requested" just to make the first game look like more of a success, do you?

C'mon, Dyack. Eternal Darkness is home. Home is where the heart is. Come back home.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Man, I so badly want whatever this is to be Eternal Darkness 2. You don't think Dyack would refer to Too Human as "highly requested" just to make the first game look like more of a success, do you?

haha, that's so funny you say this. it occurred to me, too, that it would behoove a developer to build artificial hype for a less-than-stellar property by calling it "most requested". like, oh, silicon knights is working on something that's very requested? that TOO HUMAN musta been real good! i should buy their games!

Roto13

I'd say there's about a 60% chance that's exactly what's going on here. :p

Dyack creates interesting and unique universes. The world he established in Legacy of Kain sustained four sequels, most of which spin around and explore the events of his first game through time-travel. The initial story he and his team created was so in-depth, it enabled exploration in many games.

Eternal Darkness was also a fascinating universe, of buried cities, faceted gods, a eternal Roman Centurion, firefighters exploring buried temples, Lovecraftian horrors breeding in wars, and a powerless God battling three mighty deities. Though its influences are apparent, they are so tidily weaved together with a couple of twists to produce something pretty unique to the medium.

In each game, Crystal Dynamics and Nintendo respectively helped Silicon Knights achieve their vision, an achievement the studio sometimes unfortunately seems to miss when tackling a project alone. With the right supervision and support, an Eternal Darkness II fuelled with the same dark imagination that spawned its predecessor and Legacy of Kain, could be damn remarkable.

Retro would be an interesting partnership, certainly. Retro have showed us in their Metroid and Donkey Kong efforts, that they absolutely nail gameplay, mechanics, balance, control and produce work of outstanding quality. If they were supporting Dyack and co in realising their vision for Eternal Darkness 2, I'd have confidence in the project.

I'd like to see a second attempt at Too Human. I was not a fan of the first one, but I definitely saw potential. I think it's ED2, though.

Persona7

Banned
Is Eternal Darkness even really popular outside of the enthusiasts? I know a lot of people like the game but it seems like a cult property.

Didn't the game sell extremely poorly?

Neiteio

Not extremely poorly, but it's definitely a firm cult property.
Of course, a spectacular Upad/Vitality Sensor-utilizing HD horror sequel at the WiiU's launch could go a long way toward breaking past the "cult status" and into something akin to the mainstream.

Imagine ED2 and Pikmin 3 at the WiiU's launch.

Raide

As a Developer, that cannot make sucky games forever. At some point they have to make something awesome right?

I am in the minority that wants a Too Human sequel because with actual polish to it, it would be great. Not to everyones tastes but it could be way better than the first game.

More ED? Based upon the majority hating Dyack, do you really think he and SK can make that awesome ED2 game you have been thinking about? Even if he does, is GAF going to suddenly love him and welcome him back with open arms?
That would be hilarious and crow filled.

Ridley327

Of course, a spectacular Upad/Vitality Sensor-utilizing HD horror sequel at the WiiU's launch could go a long way toward breaking past the "cult status" and into something akin to the mainstream.

At the very least, I'm expecting ED1 to be made one of Nintendo's downloadable GCN titles on the Wii U eShop. If they are going through with a sequel, it'd be a great way to reintroduce the series to a new audience.

watership

A Too Human sequel might be good, or even great, but there are so many PR and perception challenges I don't think it would make business sense. I really loved some aspects of the world they were trying to build, and the story they wanted to tell. Most of that was lost in the games problems however.

Raide

A Too Human sequel might be good, or even great, but there are so many PR and perception challenges I don't think it would make business sense. I really loved some aspects of the world they were trying to build, and the story they wanted to tell. Most of that was lost in the games problems however.

The simple solution...don't let Dyack talk about the game. Perfect! Get someone else to be the spokesman that knows how to talk to the gaming community and not ask everyone to choose "For or Against"

Neiteio

As a Developer, that cannot make sucky games forever. At some point they have to make something awesome right?

I am in the minority that wants a Too Human sequel because with actual polish to it, it would be great. Not to everyones tastes but it could be way better than the first game.

More ED? Based upon the majority hating Dyack, do you really think he and SK can make that awesome ED2 game you have been thinking about? Even if he does, is GAF going to suddenly love him and welcome him back with open arms?
That would be hilarious and crow filled.
Erm, Dyack made the first Eternal Darkness, and it is just generally regarded as a fucking fantastic game by GAF. I think the GAF hate is more the way Dyack acted petulant when GAF was lukewarm on Too Human. And unlike that game, an ED2 would be supervised by Nintendo for that extra sheen of polish. I have faith they could make a solid sequel; beyond that, launch/near-launch hype and strong marketing could go a long ways.

Raide

Erm, Dyack made the first Eternal Darkness, and it is just generally regarded as a fucking fantastic game by GAF. I think the GAF hate is more the way Dyack acted petulant when GAF was lukewarm on Too Human. And unlike that game, an ED2 would be supervised by Nintendo for that extra sheen of polish. I have faith they could make a solid sequel; beyond that, launch/near-launch hype and strong marketing could go a long ways.

Nintendo would have to keep a tight watch on Dyack to produce another great ED game. I personally want to see it be amazing, since that might get me closer to more Too Human. :D

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Gamecube's sweet, sweet return revenge.

Now we just need Chibi Robo, Four Swords Adventures (using the screen like the GBA) and Crystal Chronicles 2. Maybe Odama 2 and PN04.

Neiteio

Gamecube's sweet, sweet return revenge.
Throw in a new Wave Race and F-Zero and you may be onto something!

After the incredible return of Kid Icarus, it's amazing to think what new life these franchises could offer when matched with the right creative mind.

Nilaul

Eternal Darkness 2

Have the Wii U comunicate also with the 3DS suddenly to spook you. As is spot pass messages and weird photos and stuff.

Imagine this: Your in work you receive a notification on your 3DS. You open it and you see a photo of something completely terrifying, and a note saying this is what will become of you.

Neiteio

I'm only really familiar with Eternal Darkness, but I'd appreciate it if someone familiar with ED, Legacy of Kain and Too Human could review which of the three seems most likely... casting aside all personal wants and being as objective as possible.

rpmurphy

The Struggle against Studio Closure rages on in...
Eternal Darkness 2: Dyack's Redemption
Coming soon...

Day One

GavinGT

Banned
This is their last chance, I think. If they make a $40 million next-gen game and it fails, I don't see how they can afford to keep their doors open. That government money can't sustain them forever.

Think of how long Eternal Darkness took to develop. How can they possibly even afford to stay in business long enough to develop this? I fully expect them to fail.

Beth Cyra

Could Two Human be on WiiU?

I don't remember if Micro had any publisher rights to sequels. Granted even if they did they probably would turn the shit down.

pakkit

Banned
I'm only really familiar with Eternal Darkness, but I'd appreciate it if someone familiar with ED, Legacy of Kain and Too Human could review which of the three seems most likely... casting aside all personal wants and being as objective as possible.

Like the OP?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My guess:

It'll be Eternal Darkness 2, it will have bad funding, be released early, be shit.

Unless they develop it with Nintendo, then it'll be fine, maybe.

GavinGT

Banned
If they announce Too Human 2, they might as well call the Valkyrie now to come down and swoop up the company's corpse. You know, since she likes to take her time and all.

HylianTom

Banned
Man.. if true, Nintendo really does know how to stock-up on bob-ombs for pre-console launch E3s. Kudos to them.. I'm pretty confident that they can bail-out SK with enough guidance.

I'll have to replay the original this year. I'll make time to do so, and I'll finally get the good ending.

Oddduck

I mean it's obvious Eternal Darkness is coming.

The timing of Dyacks comments around the same time that Nintendo re-registers the trademark for Eternal Darkness.

It all seems too coincidental.

hatchx

Banned
Is Eternal Darkness even really popular outside of the enthusiasts? I know a lot of people like the game but it seems like a cult property.

Didn't the game sell extremely poorly?

I believe just shy of 500k worldwide.

Not bad considering how poorly GCN sold as a whole.

IIRC, REmake did over a million and so did RE0, however.

Yagharek

Eternal Darkness didnt sell that well, but is fairly well remembered by those that played it.

I reckon if they made ED2 they would be better calling it something subtitled so as not to through off the people who might assume they need to play the first? Call it soemthing like Eternal Darkness: Subtitle I guess.

Position it as Nintendo's answer to RE/Dead Space/Gears of War (less action-y). Basically your standard high impact violent and scary game that attracts the uncertain traditional gamer market.

With any luck it could lead other publishers to bring over some more big name action games
unless it sells too well then they will just complain about only 1st party software selling

Oddduck

I think Nintendo doesn't care what Eternal Darkness sold. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dead Space sold nothing like Dead Space 2. Sometimes an IP won't find its audience until the sequel.

There were a few things that hurt ED's sales.

1) Eternal Darkness was originally meant to be a launch game for GameCube (check wikipedia). Getting released in the summer when most people go outside was a problem.

2) Nintendo did a horrible marketing job.

If Nintendo can market this game correctly, the game will find its audience just like any horror game.

Ahasverus

Dyack creates interesting and unique universes. The world he established in Legacy of Kain sustained four sequels, most of which spin around and explore the events of his first game through time-travel. The initial story he and his team created was so in-depth, it enabled exploration in many games.
This, even Too Human universe is somewhat fascinating, he's like a dumb genius.

noquarter

Please be Too Human 2 and 3, just finish the stupid story, want to see what happens.

But Eternal Darkness 2 would be really good as well.

HylianTom

Banned
I think Nintendo doesn't care what Eternal Darkness sold. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dead Space sold nothing like Dead Space 2. Sometimes an IP won't find its audience until the sequel.

There were a few things that hurt ED's sales.

1) Eternal Darkness was originally meant to be a launch game for GameCube (check wikipedia). Getting released in the summer when most people go outside was a problem.

2) Nintendo did a horrible marketing job.

If Nintendo can market this game correctly, the game will find its audience just like any horror game.

Is it silly for me to want an HD remake in addition to a new game? I'm being selfish, right?

Top Bottom