• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Won't Use Dedicated Servers On PC (or presumably consoles either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/destiny-2-wont-use-dedicated-servers-on-pc/
In a lengthy interview with PC Gamer, Bungie's head of PC David Shaw confirmed that server infrastructure for the game was "complicated" and that they "do not have dedicated servers for Destiny 2 on PC" - and presumably not on consoles either.
This is the direct quote from PC Gamer:
Is it still peer-to-peer in terms of the multiplayer? Are there dedicated servers?

It is a complicated typology. We do not have dedicated servers for Destiny 2 on PC.
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-bungie-plans-to-make-destiny-2-on-pc-legit-on-day-one/

P2P me if old.

Snagret

That's unfortunate.

As someone who never played Destiny but is planning on getting the PC version: Did the first game also not have dedicated servers and was it generally fine from a connection standpoint?

P2P isn't always bad. Sometimes it's better than dedicated servers depending on the situation/context/location of players.

Calm Mind

It's like Activision is going out of their way to systematically destroy any chance of the PC version becoming a success.

CryptiK

Wait does it have dedicated servers on console? Also dayum this could hurt for streams, let the ddosing commence.

hypernima

Banned
P2P isn't always bad. Sometimes it's better than dedicated servers depending on the situation/context/location of players.

Nah, it's pretty bad, made a lot of sixes games unplayable for me.

I feel like this should be a must for the PC version. Seems like a flub for no reason.

If Dedis were something much requested for the console version by a lot of D1 players, you can imagine a lot of people (like me) will be disappointed. :\

EvB

Wait does it have dedicated servers on console? Also dayum this could hurt for streams, let the ddosing commence.

No, nor did the first.

I don't personally see it as a big issue, Destiny was hardly a precision game. However , it sounds like they are trying to pitch it as a more competitive game, which is at odds with this announcement.

It's embarrassing how behind the times Bungie is tech-wise. Remember when halo 2 was more feature-rich than Xbox live itself, and was basically the blueprint for what Xbox live would become? Now they're putting out the only 30fps P2P multiplayer shooter in recent memory.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Destiny 1 connection was trash in PVP due to this shit. At least it seems like match servers only while stats and all this mumbo jumbo is still server protected like it console version.

It's embarrassing how behind the times Bungie is tech-wise. Remember when halo 2 was more feature-rich than Xbox live itself, and was basically the blueprint for what Xbox live would become? Now they're putting out the only 30fps P2P multiplayer shooter in recent memory.
Yeah seriously. For a company with such industry influencing innovation in its past this is pretty embarrassing.

Hearing about p2p servers just brings back awful memories of the host advantage in Halo 2 and Gears 1. Standbying, bridging host using zone alarm pro etc etc.

patapuf

This is almost certainly about cost, not know-how.

Kthulhu

That's unfortunate.

As someone who never played Destiny but is planning on getting the PC version: Did the first game also not have dedicated servers and was it generally fine from a connection standpoint?

Your mileage may vary. It usually was okay for me, but host switching was always a shit show when it happened.

LifEndz

Damn. The red bars in iron banner will be prevelant again. Are they just being cheap or is there some advantage to p2p?

lol

They have all this activision money but wont spend it where it would make the largest impact

oh well

I care more about the co op anyways

That's unfortunate.

Iron banana could be a lagfest for specific players at times. Could be pretty frustrating.

Kthulhu

Damn. The red bars in iron banner will be prevelant again. Are they just being cheap or is there some advantage to p2p?

P2P is fine if all the players have a reliable connection. Unfortunately, in the US and many other countries, their service sucks, and it drags everyone down.

P2P is way cheaper than servers, though this is one of the biggest publishers in the world and this really should've been a priority for them. COD is also P2P, so I imagine it's Activision being cheap.

scoobs

This is a pretty big deal. The Crucible was nearly unplayable for me due to bad hosts and red bar players teleporting around the map killing people. I really don't know if I can support this game.

Nah, it's pretty bad, made a lot of sixes games unplayable for me.

I feel like this should be a must for the PC version. Seems like a flub for no reason.

If Dedis were something much requested for the console version by a lot of D1 players, you can imagine a lot of people (like me) will be disappointed. :

For sure. I'd definitely prefer dedis.

Yeah seriously. For a company with such industry influencing innovation in its past this is pretty embarrassing.

Hearing about p2p servers just brings back awful memories of the host advantage in Halo 2 and Gears 1. Standbying, bridging host using zone alarm pro etc etc.

That was a dark time in halo. Didn't ruin the game by any means, but I hated that shit.

ChazGW7

That really puts it into perspective. How disappointing.

HowZatOZ

Banned
No, it's always bad. There is never a perfect situation with peer2peer, because of the reliance on an actual player's connection and hoping the algorithm working behind the scenes chose someone who actually has a good hosting speed. 99% of the time it turns out bad and everyone lags bar the host.

As another poster said, it's like Bungie and Activision are actively destroying the PC community before it even begins. MMOs are the big dogs on PC, it's our nature to breed them. I was super excited to finally see the Destiny brand come to PC and create a magical world but that isn't seeming to be the case. A real shame, I want to live in the devs world but I can't do it on console because it doesn't mesh with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom