• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

Kansoku

Looks like you're right.

HqfzHMO.png

I wonder if we can use them on single player mode, like the guy on the plane. Could be great to have 4 extra buttons.

I love how the pro controller looks. People realize it's translucent and the "molding marks" are inside and not outside right? Exactly like the translucent N64 controllers.

Also, what is the fret about it being optional? The controllers don't do any special that you need to develop for specifically. The pro and joy-cons are the same functionality wise.

YBdisk

The dpad hurts my soul.

Yeah, that and the terrible left stick placement. How the fuck am i supposed to slide my thumb across the buttons without touching the left stick,

As they are right now the Joy-cons seem like a terrible way to play d-pad/action games. Also no comfortable vc games on the go. I really hope they improve them before release or atleast release different Joy-cons (not ideal).

dan2026

If a pro controller doesn't come with the console, the grip accessory defiantly does, right?

Otherwise they are basically selling the system without a decent way to play in 'docked mode'.

Arklite

The Pro pad looks really slick. Somewhat surprised they abandoned their previous dual top stick placement but I was never too comfortable with it anyway.

antibolo

Banned
I wonder if the JoyCon Grip will just be an inert piece of plastic that's used only for ergonomics. I suspect it will.

Although now that I'm looking at it again it appears to have some LEDs on it, so maybe not (although maybe those LEDs are powered by the JoyCons themselves).

I wonder if the JoyCon Grip will just be an inert piece of plastic that's used only for ergonomics. I suspect it will.

Although now that I'm looking at it again it appears to have some LEDs on it, so maybe not (although maybe those LEDs are powered by the JoyCons themselves).
I'm guessing it's also a charger for the Jon-Cons

Stupid question but why would one use the Pro controller over the completed Joycon pad? Is it only the different shape?
D-Pad, form factor, more players.

KooPaL

Stupid question but why would one use the Pro controller over the completed Joycon pad? Is it only the different shape?

Personally for me I see it as:

-Another controller for two player
-Joycon controller is charging and I need to play
-Pro battery life probably better than the joycon
-Although they look closely similar I suspect it might be a litle more comfortable.

I know they are minute differences at the end of the day but having options for me is cool.

I doubt it; this thing does use ARM, remember.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was though. My Macbook Air has a fan (I know, it's a laptop, but the 11-inch model feels tablet sized) and I can rarely tell (except in instances where I make it work REALLY hard).

I think it is. Didn't Rogers say it had active cooling? She's been spot on about pretty much everything NX at this point.

Tangeroo

But that's not what the side that fits in to the holster looks like. It's not smooth like it is being shown in that pic. The smoother side is the outside edge. The controllers in that pic don't mesh with the other pics of the controller.

Edit:

Here, look at this pic, it shows that it's not the same.

CvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg

*shrug*

They look the same to me. The only difference is that in your pic, their fingers are covering the shoulder buttons.

antibolo

Banned

Well, having a real d-pad comes to mind. I'm sure the split button pseudo-d-pad will work fine with most games, but between the Grip and the Pro I would always choose the Pro when available.

Also, local multiplayer games that are too complex for a single JoyCon per player (games needing dual analog sticks and such).

If a pro controller doesn't come with the console, the grip accessory defiantly does, right?

Otherwise they are basically selling the system without a decent way to play in 'docked mode'.

The press release mentions that the Joy-Con Grip comes with the system I believe.

dan2026

This picture is so absurd.
Four people using tiny controllers with half the buttons with two Switches.

They are living in a dreamworld if they think people are going to be doing this often.

Just look at their freaking hands and how cramped it is!

They are living in a dreamworld if they think people are going to be doing this often.

I know, right? And they're not even playing a game, there's just a logo on the screen. Fail!

The poor d-pad....

Thankfully the slide-in ability of the controllers seems rife for customization options, because I'm going to need a 1st party nintendo d-pad for on the go.

Asynchronous analog sticks are fine, try holding your 3ds from the d-pad and the equivalent spot on the right side, it's not that comfortable (or necessarily possible)

eFKac

The Pro pad looks a generic Ouya/Shield/Android TV controller but it could be comfortable.

The joy cons as shown in NBA gameplay must be a joke, that looks extremely uncomfortable even for Trump hands, not to mention big ones.

Hand cramp city.

Hey man, don't underestimate the amount of people who are desparate to play 8 player smash and are willing to play on shitty madcatz/wii controllers :p

*shrug*

They look the same to me. The only difference is that in your pic, their fingers are covering the shoulder buttons.

Look closer. Here are two pictures and you'll see they're not the same.

HqfzHMO.png

CvN3ugeVIAAPJi1.jpg

Look at the girl on the left, it's a smooth surface, no lip. Now look at the closer up of the controller, there's a clear hard edge lip; it's not smooth. The controllers are different in that pic from the other controllers.

That's where I'm at with it. I love the idea of various alternative joycons that have dpads or novelty game-specific controls, but that multiplayer situation is silly.

optimiss

Look closer. Here are two pictures and you'll see they're not the same.

HqfzHMO.png

CvN3ugeVIAAPJi1.jpg

Look at the girl on the left, it's a smooth surface, no lip. Now look at the closer up of the controller, there's a clear hard edge lip; it's not smooth. The controllers are different in that pic from the other controllers.

The controller in the image with the girls is very small and difficult to tell for sure. They could just be using different prototypes for each shot if they were filmed at different times.

bachikarn

Pro controller looks way more comfortable. Standard pad has buttons directly above stick. Thumb will have to contour weirdly. Pro controller is like a normal controller

The controller in the image with the girls is very small and difficult to tell for sure. They could just be using different prototypes for each shot if they were filmed at different times.

I'm sure they are using different prototypes. What I'm trying to say is what you see in that pic is different and you can't hold that as representative of actual functionality since it contradicts all the other pictures.

oti

Banned
I just wish they had swapped the face buttons. I know they were first and MS swapped them for Xbox but come one. After Xbox 360 and XBO I don't remember that Y and X have swapped places.

Irminsul

I just wish they had swapped the face buttons. I know they were first and MS swapped them for Xbox but come one. After Xbox 360 and XBO I don't remember that Y and X have swapped places.
No, that's the Nintendo button configuration and that has existed since the SNES. It wouldn't make any sense to change that.

KooPaL

I'm sure they are using different prototypes. What I'm trying to say is what you see in that pic is different and you can't hold that as representative of actual functionality since it contradicts all the other pictures.

The functionality we are talking about are the shoulder buttons appearing on top of the two player mode right? If the shapes are different but the buttons are there then its indicative of actual functionality.

I also checked the footage of people playing NBA and Mario Kart and to me they seem to be holding the controller the same way as if physical buttons were there.

oti

Banned
No, that's the Nintendo button configuration and that has existed since the SNES. It wouldn't make any sense to change that.

I know. But when Skyrim tells me to press X I'll press Y on the NS controller. Aa I said it's not Nintendo's fault but it's annoying

The functionality we are talking about are the shoulder buttons appearing on top of the two player mode right? If the shapes are different but the buttons are there then its indicative of actual functionality.

I also checked the footage of people playing NBA and Mario Kart and to me they seem to be holding the controller the same way as if physical buttons were there.

I would like there to be buttons there, but there's no clear indicator if there are any or not at this point. Typically those ads are made without actually running the hardware so how they are holding it may not be because of the functionality. I've looked at all the pictures so far from all the angles, and there's no clear answer on this aspect which is why I asked here if there's been any info.

Top Bottom