• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF uncovers evidence of imminent Nintendo Direct as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

If this is real, no way it will be mind blown stuff. I am betting mobile or account/virtual console stuff

sinonobu

Banned
That's not true. Pokémon has been part of many combined directs. Even with new announcements for main series games

Which one? I thought all of the mainline announcements were separate from other Nintendo stuff.

X/Y - pokemon direct, OR/AS - press release, Sun/Moon - pokemon direct

Raitaro

The rumored Pokémon Stars will be third game to Sun/Moon. I don't think it will be a fully built Pokémon game from the ground up for Switch.

This is my gut feeling / fear as well along with the Direct being about the New 2D XL and Pokemon Stars as a launch title for it. Sure, they might mention the BOTW DLC stuff as well but the 2DS and upcoming 3DS games might get the spotlight this time.

I'd be happy to be wrong though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really don't expect them to keep Pokemon Stars a secret until E3. I'm surprised it hasn't been officially announced yet, unless it really isn't coming this year.

Well, pretty much every "third" Pokémon game has come out around two years later, so Stars not coming out this years shouldn't really be that surprising. If anything, it being announced for this year would be the surprise.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It probably should be a direct about Nintendo Online and Virtual Console which needs to be detailed and wouldn't make sense being part of their e3 direct.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is it isn't a Direct at all but merely an announcement about E3 plans. Maybe a creative one like they did with the Mega64 guys.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just to pour a little cold water on things - given we had the announcement last week about a Digital Event coming for E3, could this not be a teaser for that?
I suppose. Cross posting from the E3 hype level check! thread:

Regarding Nintendo, I decided to check when major press releases/announcements regarding their plans for E3 have been made. Below are the dates:

2010: June 02
2011: May 23
2012: May 21
2013: June 7
2014: April 29
2015: May 13
2016: May 05

E3 plans may have been discussed during financial results briefings or in interviews prior to these dates. The dates above signify when main press releases or announcements were made available.

The E3 site, e3.nintendo.com, went live on May 05 last year. Whether Nintendo will this week issue a press release regarding their plans for E3 2017 I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
An E3 announcement next week would fit the pattern quite well. It could even happen this week, with a "more information coming next week" disclaimer.

It probably should be a direct about Nintendo Online and Virtual Console which needs to be detailed and wouldn't make sense being part of their e3 direct.

It would be nice to get this before E3, but who knows with Nintendo.

My guess is it isn't a Direct at all but merely an announcement about E3 plans. Maybe a creative one like they did with the Mega64 guys.

Hmm.

Rösti;235433158 said:
I suppose. Cross posting from the E3 hype level check! thread:

An E3 announcement next week could fit the pattern quite well. It could even happen this week, with a "more information coming next week" disclaimer.

I'm hoping it's this Thursday or Friday and next week is actually a direct.

Wait, what? We had a direct recently.

If the direct is a week from now it'll be around a month between directs. A direct a month isn't too abnormal.

Game-specific directs, sure. Big overall Nintendo directs even at their most common were at most bimonthly, sometimes longer. Don't remember ever having 2 a month apart.

Pokemon Stars? God I hope it isn't a 3DS game.

I don't think Pokemon has ever had mainline games in the same gen over different systems before.

I'm willing to bet money Stars is on 3DS (might be cross platform, but it definitely won't be Switch exclusive), and they'll have Pokemon make its grand debut to the Switch with the beginning of Gen 8.

AerialAir

Banned
So apparantly there's another empty spot on nintendo direct page...

Guessing Stars is coming

Man, if Switch has Mario Odyssey followed by Pokmn Stars, there's no way anyone can stop the beast! Hopefully it's true, we need a healthy Nintendo in the years to come if we don't want Sony monopolizing the console market.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Man, if Switch has Mario Odyssey followed by Pokmn Stars, there's no way anyone can stop the beast! Hopefully it's true, we need a healthy Nintendo in the years to come if we don't want Sony monopolizing the console market.
I haven't played any main line Pokémon game in years due to portable systems not being of any greater interest to me. But Pokémon Stars for Nintendo Switch I would find very interesting. A holiday season featuring both Super Mario Odyssey and Pokémon Stars would certainly allow for some great sales numbers.

Shiggy

We also still have this:
6vx10.jpg

Could be used for either the new VC or the SNES Mini.

AerialAir

Banned
Rösti;235434379 said:
I haven't played any main line Pokémon game in years due to portable systems not being of any greater interest to me. But Pokémon Stars for Nintendo Switch I would find very interesting. A holiday season featuring both Super Mario Odyssey and Pokémon Stars would certainly allow for some great sales numbers.

I'm thinking of a March release for Stars. Odyssey is Nintendo's big title this Fall, and they usually never release two big titles in the same season in order to keep momentum up. I might be wrong though.

TannerDemoz

Clarification/update on 2DS, Zelda DLC new update/ e-store and maybe a surprise announcement there too?

I wouldn't expect anything more than a lot of: "but we'll be able to share more information with you on this in the future"

MegaMelon

I'm thinking of a March release for Stars. Odyssey is Nintendo's big title this Fall, and they usually never release two big titles in the same season in order to keep momentum up. I might be wrong though.

I don't think they'd reveal it 10 months before release. It would eat into sun/moons legs whilst not really giving any benefit for being revealed that early.

Also look at release years:

2013 xy
2014 oras
2016 sun/moon

I think a late 2017 release would make more sense.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Oh wow, perhaps Directs will be pretty frequent now the Switch is out.

http://time.com/4653672/nintendo-switch-super-bowl-commercial/

Nintendo marketing guy said:
"This isn't just a six to eight week launch campaign," says Chavez, referring to the Switch's hands-on reveal in early January through to its launch on March 3. "This is really a 15 month campaign for us, to say nothing of our plans for 2018."

I don't think they're gonna let us go too long without Nintendo hype.

Kimishima wants continuous hype and news. He doesn't want the Switch to go a week without news I feel.
What's beautiful is a lot of games have been releasing months after their announcement recently. Only a handful are an exception to that like Mario Odyssey.

Switch still hasn't had an E3, this years show will be pretty fantastic.

We still need to hear a lot about ARMS and it comes out before E3 (right?), so I could see a general May Direct. Maybe they'll even combine the E3 plan announcement video with this Direct?

sinonobu

Banned
We still need to hear a lot about ARMS and it comes out before E3 (right?), so I could see a general May Direct. Maybe they'll even combine the E3 plan announcement video with this Direct?

I honestly think this might happen. Direct that focuses heavily on ARMS, VC, Nindies and some Japanese third parties while teasing E3 annoucements.

The stars are aligning for this to be Pokémon. I can't help thinking that it will be 3DS only though, and they will announce Pokémon Snap or something for Switch...

sinonobu

Banned
I think it can be either Pokemon Direct that shows off Pokemon Stars,

or May Nintendo Direct that focuses on ARMS, Japanese third parties, Nindies and VC along with showing off E3 plans.

They can tease some announcements through the headlines like

"Mushroom Kingdom is Invaded!" for MarioXRabbids game, or

"Bounty Hunter returns from long slumber" for Metroid.

Kyzer

Banned
The stars are aligning for this to be Pokémon. I can't help thinking that it will be 3DS only though, and they will announce Pokémon Snap or something for Switch...

That would be amazing?

I could see this being Pokemon, if we are getting a release this year there is a 99% they would reveal it before e3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom