• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Develop: PC VR sales has almost ground to a halt

Honestly, I am waiting for Playstation VR for quality experiences. The PC VR market is just shovelware and stupid tech demos.

PC VR has "quality experiences, shovelware and stupid tech demos".
PS VR will have "quality experiences", but the closed system means you want even have an option of trying the "shovelware and stupid tech demos", many of which are really interesting little experimental things.

Zalusithix

PC VR has "quality experiences, shovelware and stupid tech demos".
PS VR will have "quality experiences", but the closed system means you want even have an option of trying the "shovelware and stupid tech demos", many of which are really interesting little experimental things.

It's the age old console vs PC argument applied to VR. A closed, curated system with high barrier of entry "ensuring" quality and high budget exclusives vs an open system where you get a range of stuff from experiments to a few big games, but not the console exclusives.

Of course the reality of the matter is that the barrier to entry just means that only big publishers can churn out shovelware instead of everybody. The differences are further blurred by the consoles being at an all time low as far as the barrier to entry goes, and console exclusives are increasingly becoming console + PC games. Still, the mentality persists for some console-centric gamers.

At any rate, while having access to everything is preferable, it's the experimental stuff that's most interesting to me at this stage in VR's lifespan. We're at the point where everything is new and ideas need to be iterated on rapidly. Being able to partake in the progress of a nascent transformative technology is an opportunity that doesn't present itself often during one's lifetime. I'm thankful I've been around to experience a number of them. (Albeit not necessarily from the very beginning on all of them; I wasn't there for the early days of the internet at large, but was there shortly after the birth of the WWW for instance.)

Top Bottom