• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE receives AMDs "next gen" APU dev system

ekim

It should be this:
AMD Kaveri Unveiled: PC Architecture Gets GDDR5

We were able to take a peek at AMD NDA information (aimed at engineers) that details the technical features of the Kaveri APU. According to this information, Kaveri features a GDDR5 memory interface consisting of four 32-bit memory channels. This is perfectly matching the width of a GDDR5 chip which is also 32-bit. However, the memory controller has to be set up in a way so that two 32-bit channels work in tandem, half-channel use is not supported. The total width is 128-bit, so the main advantage comes from higher clock speeds of GDDR5 memory. This is in addition to the 128-bit DDR3 interface that we already know from previous APUs. Usage of DDR3 and GDDR5 is mutually exclusive.

We also tried to clarify if Kabini contains a GDDR5 interface as well, which is scheduled to debut around the Computex timeframe. Given that an PS4 uses significantly modified version of Kabini and utilizes GDDR5 memory, such possibility would not be unreasonable. However, from the documents we were able to look at didn't contain any information on such a feature. While this is not a 100% confirmation, Kabini with GDDR5 for the PC market probably won't happen.

tweetfw_zpsc9aa2d76.png

720 then.

Edit: oh, and for the console speculation, I assume this isn't anything. Just AMD's next low end PC APU (I think one is coming out soon, called Richland or something?). Definitely cooling system is far too weak for it to be a console.

I actually think Kaveri is unlikely. The cooling in the picture is simply inadequate for something with Steamroller cores. It must be Kabini, for which that tiny cooler actually makes sense.

I hadn't seen that stuff about Kaveri having a GDDR5 interface, though. I bet they are using interposers to put 4 GDDR5 chips on package so they can still sell socketed versions. There are pictures of an AMD APU with an interposter and four chips in a 2.5D memory arrangement floating around. Intel is moving that direction themselves, but they're only adding 128MB (reportedly).

PRETEND EDIT: Found the picture!

EJgZ9fw.jpg

M3d10n

Maybe AMD is moving onto some more aggressive design for small factor PCs and laptops using console-style unified memory?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why would they cut down the PS4 APU for PC's? If anything, they'd beef it up and sell it to the enthusiast gamer crowd.

Enthusiast gamers are likely going to be buying discrete cpu and gpus for some time to come.

APUs that are something like a cut down version of PS4's config are more likely given the target market for APUs today and in the near future.

As for the APU in the OP, undoubtedly it's a AMD rather than console design...the label on the side says its property of AMD. If it was a MS or Sony machine it wouldn't say that.

Durante

Real talk -- this cannot be a high-end product or a console devkit. The clearest indication is the cooling: it doesn't look like it can deal with >100W of heat.

Dr Dogg

That's a tiny APU cooler. Last AMD laptop I had used to overheat like crazy due to having a stupidly underpowered cooling setup.

I wonder what that digital clock/dial is for.

ZOMG IT DISPLAYS 8000Mhz! :p

Or maybe it displays "RROD" or "BOOB"

Probably for bios POST codes. Boring response I know.

Buft

Neo Member
now imagine that was the finished product, sitting proudly on your entertainment unit providing years of entertainment as you watch the fan spin endlessly in full 3D.

on topic though I imagine this is a a dev kit that runs the same specs as PC cards coming from AMD in the near future with similar specs as a next gen console so that the developers can keep working with these in mind.

Nachtmaer

I actually think Kaveri is unlikely. The cooling in the picture is simply inadequate for something with Steamroller cores. It must be Kabini, for which that tiny cooler actually makes sense.

I hadn't seen that stuff about Kaveri having a GDDR5 interface, though. I bet they are using interposers to put 4 GDDR5 chips on package so they can still sell socketed versions. There are pictures of an AMD APU with an interposter and four chips in a 2.5D memory arrangement floating around. Intel is moving that direction themselves, but they're only adding 128MB (reportedly).

PRETEND EDIT: Found the picture!

EJgZ9fw.jpg

My bets are on Kabini as well. Isn't Temash supposed to be an SoC with a low power version of Kabini? Perhaps that explains the heatpipes cooling a secondary chip.

Top Bottom