• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE share Mirror's Edge Catalyst's map – one region, 'Anchor', HUGE

nynt9

Backtracking between objectives in the beta got pretty tedious after a while even though I was originally enjoying the open world aspect of the beta (and I was staunchly against it originally). I think Mirror's Edge would benefit more from open level design instead of open world. Think Dishonored. What made the first so good was that it was laser sharp focused in its design. If you saw a path you knew you could traverse it to your destination and the harder to traverse it looked, the more satisfying it would be. In the beta I quite often saw side paths and took them, only to realize that doing so made me unable to go where I wanted, they lead elsewhere instead. That there is no way to know this without trial and error takes a lot away from the game for me. I think making the game open world takes away from what made the first so great. This game could still be good but not in the same ways the first was. I find that I generally prefer games that focus on one thing and achiever something special, even if that means they have some flaws. This looks like it's going to be a more well rounded game but that also means less brilliance and more polish instead.

But did they add the option to remove the red markers all over the place indicating social races? This is literally a deal breaker for me. Just shat all over the wonderful aesthetic.

Falk

that puzzling face
We're not still getting hyped on map size alone in open world games are we?

Based off what I saw I'm not convinced they can fit all of that or even most of it with meaningful content. Expecting a lot of repetitive side missions so you can get exp to get those unlocks.

In a game where parkour -is- the mechanic, the map itself is the content.

I realize the counterargument can be made where driving is kinda important in GTA

Warriorr

Neo Member
The whole city's reachable rooftops* will be playable, surely?

I wonder how varied they'll be.

Well, there are 3 districts:

The View:

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-24/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

Anchor:

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-27/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

And Downtown (the one in the Beta):

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-26/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

Charter Hill, Concord Plaza, Centurian Yards and Triumvirate Drive are part of Downtown.
Shimmering Heights, Crystal Valley and Eden Village are part of Anchor.
Ocean Pier and Regatta Bay are part of The View.

So all of this makes me believe that the available area in the game is in fact the marked one. I could be totally wrong, of course.

dan2026

Still boggles my mind how they ruined the 1st one with a slew of bad gameplay decisions.

Hope this one learned from the 1st and turns out to be a decent game.

I was really sceptical too but after the beta I stopped being so. It was so wonderful to just be let loose with Faith's abilities, and having to actually think about your route was really fun. By the end of the beta I had started to memorise bridges across the larger gaps and routes that would take me places quickly etc. I genuinely felt like I was learning the map rather than just content tourism like so many open world games where you just see a new area once to climb the tower and then never go back.

tumblr_mumh5jlvcJ1s02vreo1_400.gif

Day. One.

SomTervo

Well, there are 3 districts:

The View:

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-24/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

Anchor:

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-27/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

And Downtown (the one in the Beta):

https://media.mirrorsedge.com/content/www-mirrorsedge/en_US/wallpapers/mec-wallpaper-26/_jcr_content/media/renditions/rendition1.img.jpg

Charter Hill, Concord Plaza, Centurian Yards and Triumvirate Drive are part of Downtown.
Shimmering Heights, Crystal Valley and Eden Village are part of Anchor.
Ocean Pier and Regatta Bay are part of The View.

So all of this makes me believe that the available area in the game is in fact the marked one. I could be totally wrong, of course.

What I'm hoping is that either:

A) The map has a ton of unused/free space. Ie no story content there, just city. This will make a substantial chunk of the map just there for race creation and exploration.

This unused space will also be ripe for DLC they wish to add. This is similar to how, in GTA, if you actually marked out the locations that missions take place in, there aren't many of them. It's a small amount of real estate. However the DLC and player-created multiplayer missions add more and more used locations to the game.

B) That those three 'districts' are pretty far apart in the map. Perhaps like at opposite ends of the map. You can fast travel across it, but if you want to get to another district you can run through a lot of 'general city' to get to it.

Warriorr

Neo Member
What I'm hoping is that either:

A) The map has a ton of unused/free space. Ie no story content there, just city. This will make a substantial chunk of the map just there for race creation and exploration.

This unused space will also be ripe for DLC they wish to add. This is similar to how, in GTA, if you actually marked out the locations that missions take place in, there aren't many of them. It's a small amount of real estate. However the DLC and player-created multiplayer missions add more and more used locations to the game.

B) That those three 'districts' are pretty far apart in the map. Perhaps like at opposite ends of the map. You can fast travel across it, but if you want to get to another district you can run through a lot of 'general city' to get to it.

As you can see on the map, they're close to each other. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until the release to see exactly which parts are explorable.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope it isn't lifeless as are so many open world games with a huge map
It almost seems surreal at this point that companies still use map size as a selling point and people still care. I mean if that's what sells then I guess it's valid, I just personally don't understand it.

Hopefully this game has meaningful and deep environments that enhance the core gameplay.

There is a grappling hook thing in this :)

Called the MagLev or something

I literally said "OH GOD" out loud when i read this.

I was keeping my expectations tempered until now. Now it's HYPE LEVEL 8 MILLION.

Last time it was this high was for Twilight Princess in '06. Did not turn out well.

jett

D-Member
A big map is meaningless, unless there's fun, non-repetitive things to do within.

This game goes the other way. There's nothing to do when running from one questgiver to another. The beta wasn't all that lengthy, and yet running through the same places got super old really quickly. I really don't like this game's direction, myself. Trekking through this city felt incredibly repetitive.

sonicmj1

I was keeping my expectations tempered until now. Now it's HYPE LEVEL 8 MILLION.

Last time it was this high was for Twilight Princess in '06. Did not turn out well.
The grappling hook can only be used on fixed points, but it still seems rad.

Wait wait wait.

So the beta was only 1/10th?

I thought it was like a third... This changes things.

Someone please tell me the accurate numbers. I didn't want to be hyped but goddamnit...

SomTervo

A big map is meaningless, unless there's fun, non-repetitive things to do within.

Again, read the Eurogamer preview. They hit the nail on the head. The map is relatively sparse but that works in the game's favour. Every time you travel from A to B you can look for slightly different routes, explore new nooks and crannies, etc. And the rudimentary upgrade tree (it's not overly complex) is a great incentive to do little activities in the world. It has similarities with the Ubisoft model, but not too much.

This game goes the other way. There's nothing to do when running from one questgiver to another.

Yes there is? Other players' races, collectibles, 'towers', and generally exploring. The city was well designed and I found each of those activities fun.

The beta wasn't all that lengthy, and yet running through the same places got super old really quickly. I really don't like this game's direction, myself. Trekking through this city felt incredibly repetitive.

Never felt repetitive once, to me. I played it for some 7 or 8 hours. The main missions semed on par with ME1's (good), the side quests seemed good, the 'towers' were great little distractions, other players' races were surprisingly compelling, and the collectibles led you to play a little better/explore more (and gave you XP as an incentive). Once you started taking interest in the player-created trials, there was an insane abundance of content and the repetition faded away. Plus in the full game we'll have more tools to play with and there will be more NPCs roaming around.

Wait wait wait.

So the beta was only 1/10th?

I thought it was like a third... This changes things.

Someone please tell me the accurate numbers. I didn't want to be hyped but goddamnit...

We're pretty confused. DICE's official word was that the entire map is 'explorable'.

But we don't know if by 'map' they're referring to the picture in their tweet or the actual, large, interactive map on the game's website.

I'd assume the latter. Why build a massive map like that - an interactive one no less - then limit players to a tiny chunk of it. And I mean tiny. They'd only need half the extraneous map space to make a believable backdrop. There's way more there than is required for scenery.

Based on the beta, I think you'll have a good old time. Always worth keeping hype in check, though. As the other poster said, I think the magnetic grapple only works on fixed points and certain objects. That is, it'll let you cross some large streets, but not all of them, probably.

Falchion

First thing I'm doing is picking a direction and running as far as I can. This is awesome and completely unexpected news!

Yoday

We're not still getting hyped on map size alone in open world games are we?

Based off what I saw I'm not convinced they can fit all of that or even most of it with meaningful content. Expecting a lot of repetitive side missions so you can get exp to get those unlocks.
I mean, yeah. The game is more or less a story driven racing game. More city means more possible routes. It isn't like other games where you need a side mission every few feet, the city is there as a sandbox to race in and master. It would be like complaining that there are too many tracks in a racing game because every track doesn't serve some kind of purpose.

I am absolutely stunned by the size of that map. If that were the whole map I would already be very impressed, but just one district...holy shit!

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok after catching some of the beta gameplay I was interested again. I liked what I saw.

but after reading THIS? Woo I'm excited! Can't wait to get my laptop next month and be able to play this :D

What alarms me is that they might have spent a lot of money on this massive game. And they will view modest sales as a failure and shelve the series for good. If that happens then I will be thinking.. could this story have been told for half the budget? And if the answer is yes then that might be a disappointing result for all involved.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I haven't played the beta but I did play the first Mirrors Edge and while I can see why some would be hyped for open world it isn't exactly a selling point for me. I'll reserved judgement till I play the final game but telling me how huge the map often makes me a little nervous because I'd rather have smaller stream lined open maps that are better designed overall than a huge open world that is huge for hugeness sake. Some games pull this off well but more often than not most games don't for me, worse is when a non open world game goes open world in the sequel.

Keasar

Their first tweet (top of the page) says 'First up on the interactive map is the Anchor district'. This suggests that the writing on the map only shows the Anchor district's locations/points of interest.

Judging by how clearly they've said 'the whole map is explorable' I think it's safe to assume that this map only shows icons/text for one region (Anchor), but that the 'whole map is explorable', as they've said.

Remember that 'explorable' doesn't mean 'complete' or 'full of content'. It just means you can expore it. (Which is fine by me.)

Edit: also, the red line on that map doesn't really logically add up. The Beta's map showed a fair amount of city on all 4 sides of the Zephyr Transit Hub. On the red demarced area above, the 'Development Zone' region is cut off by the red line. We know for a fact that the explorable area progresses past that red line (to the left/bottom-left of the image).

I didn't play the beta or watched much of the gameplay for it so the line drawings are a bit pulled out of my ass, but I did draw it based on the names first but also when I looked at the map, the marked areas (plus a little more to the left) are also where the detail fidelity is much higher than in other parts of the city.

On several buildings you see printed names, on roofs you get some individual details like what looks like doors etc., buildings inside the marked area generally have more odd details overall.

Outside of the marked zone however it is just basic geometry and boxes. And if Warriorr is correct, Anchor district is the area of connected buildings to the right of Zephyr Transit Hub with the red marker while the other three districts seem to be around it.

This is of course speculation and gut feelings based on a piece of marketing they have released, but it wouldn't honestly surprise me if the Twitter posts are just marketing hype by twisting the words people say slightly and say "Yes! The whole city* is explorable!"

"*City being the confines of the game world we have designed and you can move around in"

Warriorr

Neo Member
I didn't play the beta or watched much of the gameplay for it so the line drawings are a bit pulled out of my ass, but I did draw it based on the names first but also when I looked at the map, the marked areas (plus a little more to the left) are also where the detail fidelity is much higher than in other parts of the city.

On several buildings you see printed names, on roofs you get some individual details like what looks like doors etc., buildings inside the marked area generally have more odd details overall.

Outside of the marked zone however it is just basic geometry and boxes. And if Warriorr is correct, Anchor district is the area of connected buildings to the right of Zephyr Transit Hub with the red marker while the other three districts seem to be around it.

This is of course speculation and gut feelings based on a piece of marketing they have released, but it wouldn't honestly surprise me if the Twitter posts are just marketing hype by twisting the words people say slightly and say "Yes! The whole city* is explorable!"

"*City being the confines of the game world we have designed and you can move around in"

Yay, looking at the map you can see that the buildings have more details on the marked areas... Well, if the twitter account lied, I can already see the backlash.

This isn't a selling point for me, I don't like the idea of Mirror's Edge being open world, let alone the world being massive.

SomTervo

I'm looking at it this way: There are two possibilities:

1. They post an image saying 'Here is the first district - Anchor - on our 3D map'

Look at the 3D map and you can see it's a far larger area than what you showed us with that red outline. It includes the bigger skyscrapers to the north of default view. Evidently the entire area featured in the beta is called 'Anchor'. That's going by the image they posted.

2. They posted an image referring to an 'interactive 3D map' of the city 'Glass' (with the line 'Explore Glass')

In a subsequent post they said 'the whole city is explorable'

City, referring to Glass, the interactive 3D map being a map of Glass (via 'Explore Glass')

So the whole interactive map is an explorable space

------------------

Christ, the hoops I'm jumping through

What alarms me is that they might have spent a lot of money on this massive game. And they will view modest sales as a failure and shelve the series for good. If that happens then I will be thinking.. could this story have been told for half the budget? And if the answer is yes then that might be a disappointing result for all involved.

Based on their fiscal reports they expect it to sell ~2 million, which seems reasonable. First game sold ~2.5 million. Certainly on the lower end of AAA multi-platform releases. It's not the type of game that's for everyone and they seem aware of that.

As for a third entry, that they even bothered with a second is sort of amazing in the first place. DICE is big but they have a lot on their plate. The first game is beloved by some and had an overall solid reception but it was neither a critical darling or a big seller. Some people at DICE must have really wanted to make a follow up.

Took 7.5 years to get one. I wouldn't hold my breath for a third anytime soon.

Keasar

I'm looking at it this way: There are two possibilities:

1. They post an image saying 'Here is the first district - Anchor - on our 3D map'

Look at the 3D map and you can see it's a far larger area than what you showed us with that red outline. It includes the bigger skyscrapers to the north of default view. Evidently the entire area featured in the beta is called 'Anchor'. That's going by the image they posted.

2. They posted an image referring to an 'interactive 3D map' of the city 'Glass' (with the line 'Explore Glass')

In a subsequent post they said 'the whole city is explorable'

City, referring to Glass, the interactive 3D map being a map of Glass (via 'Explore Glass')

So the whole interactive map is an explorable space

------------------

Christ, the hoops I'm jumping through

They did say "Here is the first district, Anchor, on our map." and showed that photo but that can be interpreted basically as "We marked the first district Anchor on this big map."

I took another picture and marked a more updated look what I think is the playable area.
The purple area is Anchor as its where they have placed the red marker for the "Anchor" info box. The yellow being the Downtown area. The Green being that place called Development Zone which I think will be mostly focused on the cranes and the Underground area you get to see if you click the little arrow pointing down, so I marked the area sorta where the underground is. I skipped the View cause I couldn't get it all into frame but its the pier area to the right, and The Shard cause its big and obviously the end area or something.

Anyway, basically within each of these zones, split apart by the Transit Hub (which is a obvious bridge point and something you travel across to get to the next district), you find interconnected rooftops using bridges minus the Development Zone (which is probably using the cranes or is focused on the Underground). Nowhere else in the entire city you can find a bridge, I checked. And along the marked borders towards the outside the bridges just completely stop and cease to exist, not linking to anywhere else.

This I present as the full playable area of Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Not the entire city, cause that would demand an insane amount of work to detail the entire place and would require their entire office to do which is now split between Mirror's Edge, Battlefield 1 and New Battlefront 2. That is the kind of dedication to a single game I would only believe that CD Project Red would be insane to try. :p

Senoculum

It's too big, lol.

I'm already imagining myself scaling some of those buildings... and that's just ONE area? And to consider that there may be a bunch of interior levels too?

I'm actually... turned off by this prospect.

Senoculum

I mean that's cool and all but I'll surely miss the tight level design of the first one.

Same. For me, the best parts of Mirror's Edge was the problem solving of each area. I did love the thinking on my feet during chase scenes (and stealth sequences), but I couldn't care any less about races and speed trials.

dex3108

It looks like that map they posted on their site is not playable entirely. Only center of that huge map will be in game :(

pager99

Meh open world jank ,it's probably not tailored and highly optimised for gameplay like a tightly scripted smaller area could be,this gets me the opposite of excited for this game though I'd love to be wrong

Top Bottom