• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Faster hard drives boost Xbox One Fallout 4 performance

Head.spawn

Is there a way to disable DVR functionality? I'd imagine that is constantly affecting the HDD bandwidth.

I'm away from my Xbox at the moment.

I'd been waiting to hit the stutter and dips as I played and was confused (and delighted) to not experience any of it at all so far. Outside. In buildings. Wasteland. In town. All smooth.

Arun1910

Just gonna put this here, might do well in the OP too.

6zjh4kv.jpg

jim2011

Not really:

But I'll add more info to the OP. I didn't want to quote too much of their article and take away clicks.

The very first line of that quote is:

Performance improves on both units, to the point where the 0fps drops we encountered are gone

I'm curious what runs better on the Elite console... internal SSHD or external HDD. Obviously the OS being on the internal SSHD could help improve OS performance, but could the SATA limitation actually make it better to install games to an external HDD on the Elite console?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The very first line of that quote is:

Performance improves on both units, to the point where the 0fps drops we encountered are gone

I don't see how that contradicts the more precise other sentence that I quoted. Apparently, a 5400rpm hard drive can eliminate most 0fps stutters. A SSD does it every time.

naitosan

Makes sense because my friend has been playing FO4 and said there's no 0fps at all, and he's using external hdd.

Great to hear, am excited to get my copy today! And free FO3 too :)

arhra

Yeah, they checked the results of their original performance analysis on a second console.

What I find weird is that the PS4 is apparently performing better here. Both consoles have 5400rmp drives by default.

Watching the Giant Bomb quicklook (which was the PS4 version), there's a very definite stutter at around the 47m mark that seems to be similar to the ones DF saw on the Xbox version.

Knowing Bethesda it's probably some kind of save game issue that builds up over the hours as you get deeper into the game and your save files bloat up.

jim2011

I don't see how that contradicts the more precise other sentence that I quoted. Apparently, a 5400rpm hard drive can eliminate most 0fps stutters. A SSD does it every time.

There are two issues. They say the 0fps drop is completely gone but there are still stutters on non-ssd.

In other words, at no point does it drop to 0 using a external drive.

Watching the Giant Bomb quicklook (which was the PS4 version), there's a very definite stutter at around the 47m mark that seems to be similar to the ones DF saw on the Xbox version.

Knowing Bethesda it's probably some kind of save game issue that builds up over the hours as you get deeper into the game and your save files bloat up.

x86, 8GB of memory... It would be damn pathetic if this issue still exists.

ElTorro

There are two issues. They say the 0fps drop is completely gone but there are still stutters on non-ssd.

That's not what the sentence I quoted says:

Both drives show a substantial uplift over the internal unit in that the 0fps macro-stutter is gone or massively reduced, but it's clear that only the SSD showed a complete fix in effect.

It's not gone, it is either gone or "massively reduced", and only completely gone with an SSD. This is really unambiguous.

jim2011

Just add this quote to op and let people decide for themselves. It's clear there is still a stutter but it doesn't hit 0fps.

Performance improves on both units, to the point where the 0fps drops we encountered are gone, but the stutter - though reduced - is still there, whether it's through standard traversal through the environments, or in accessing weapons you've not used for a while.

But this one was because the game was autosaving.

Head.spawn

Soo... PS4 has the 0fps bug as well.

Funny that. Bethesda making them work for it.

Justinh

I saw that too, I was hoping it was a youtube thing.

I'm glad that external drives seem to help with this game on Xbox One. I've only got a WD 5400 drive hooked up but I guess it's good enough. Oh! They were referring to an SSHD when they said 5400, oh well...

Oh, and thanks OP for bringing this to my attention.

ElTorro

Just add this quote to op and let people decide for themselves. It's clear there is still a stutter but it doesn't hit 0fps.

Performance improves on both units, to the point where the 0fps drops we encountered are gone, but the stutter - though reduced - is still there, whether it's through standard traversal through the environments, or in accessing weapons you've not used for a while.

You are assuming that these are two separate issues. But a "0fps drop" is just stuttering where the game freezes longer than a second. People just used that symbolic number for console war fuckery. In any case, I think the TL;DR (which I just extended a bit to clarify just in case) I added is sufficient. I don't want to quote even more of the article or the table with the data because I don't think that the authors appreciate that.

Erimriv

Going to install on a WD Elements external. Glad to read NXE users don't seem to have any trouble with the game.

But this one was because the game was autosaving.

Is this still really an issue in a 2015 Bethesda game? I remember Fallout 3 on PS3, that game was autosaving like every few minutes, and it would hitch up, stutter, it was so annoying. It happened every single time it autosaved. I want to believe you could actually turn off autosave and it made the game run a little bit better, at least didn't stutter when it autosaved.

Top Bottom