• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport 7 is Xbox One X's true 4K showcase

Hawk269

People are setting themselves up to be disappointed if they think the weather and time of day is dynamic. It's only for certain tracks and will change exactly the same every time. I don't have a problem since it still looks really cool.

If that is the case, I wonder how they will handle it when you choose more laps etc. Should be interesting.

RyudBoy

If that is the case, I wonder how they will handle it when you choose more laps etc. Should be interesting.

After the rain is gone and the sky clears up, it'll probably look that way for the rest of the race.

None of this is confirmed. Just me speculating. I'd really like to be proven wrong and we end up getting dynamic weather/TOD. Just keeping expectations in check. Either way, I think what we see here is good enough. No complaints.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The price of 4K 60fps.
I'm still glad they managed to cram dynamic weather and time in there, and lighting does look improved quite a bit. Actually quite a lot seeing those Gestault gifs.

I'd swap dynamic lighting for some of those other details back. Dynamic lighting and weather look great in trailers but I'm getting bored of racing in rain virtually blind, and dynamic lighting really isn't necessary - you can still have varying race times if you calculate the lighting just before race time

Damn, the differences between Forza 6 on Xbox One and Forza 7 on Xbox One X are massive...

MscbahJ.jpg
Nice upgrade.

Mr Moose

Looks very good, clean.

It will be interesting to see what Horizon 4 looks like next year (3 looks very good as it is on OG XBO).

NeOak

It is not the only native 4K title - the problem is that they didn't show the other native 4K titles that they have (well, one or two others). It's rather frustrating to see which titles were shown here since there is a lot more to come.

So you aren't in LA anymore?

rip

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
After the rain is gone and the sky clears up, it'll probably look that way for the rest of the race.

None of this is confirmed. Just me speculating. I'd really like to be proven wrong and we end up getting dynamic weather/TOD. Just keeping expectations in check. Either way, I think what we see here is good enough. No complaints.

They said in an interview that the rain spreads over the race distance. So if you have a three lap race the storm will hit in lap 2, if you have thirty laps it will hit from lap 11 to 20.

Rizific

Your showcase game is a game that is also available on PC? So basically X1Xs best showing will undoubtedly be out done by a different platform's version.

rokkerkory

Your showcase game is a game that is also available on PC? So basically X1Xs best showing will undoubtedly be out done by a different platform's version.

Yeah PC is a different platform than MS, oh wait.

Surprised this amazing logic still exists.

Bgamer90

Banned

Uhh... this has basically been true for the majority of games this gen on PS4/Xbox One. The games that have helped sell both of those consoles the most have been also available on PC.

cooldawn

Well, in this race, I wouldn't classify it as dynamic since it is designed to change exactly the same way every time you race that track. I think it works well and, like Project Cars 2, they use puddles that seem to gradually fill in over time.
No dynamics at all? Wow, far from ideal.

I thought dynamic weather was confirmed but it's just not entirely dynamic in this demo since they wanted to be able to display the feature consistently. If they kept it at truly dynamic, there's a chance people could wait in line, race through a race, and not experience a feature of the game. This isn't anything new for a showroom demo really.
I'd hope so...

People are setting themselves up to be disappointed if they think the weather and time of day is dynamic. It's only for certain tracks and will change exactly the same every time. I don't have a problem since it still looks really cool.
...and I'd hope not. That's not OK. Not all races have rain on the same track at every race event. That would suck. It needs to be dynamic in it's truest form...not pre-defined.

I thought they said that the lighting was not dynamic, that it was pre-baked for certain tracks. Like the Nurb track, that the lighting and weather changes were specific to that track. The way the stuff in the OP is that they do indeed have dynamic time of day and weather? I am confused!
Irrc they haven't confirmed how dynamic the weather really is (which does point out to being pré set for a few tracks as you mentioned)

thelastword

Banned
Damn, the differences between Forza 6 on Xbox One and Forza 7 on Xbox One X are massive...

MscbahJ.jpg

what the fuck? how can this Not be a whole Generation? I mean Xbox One X i also running at 4k@60fps..

That looks a bigger leap than going from F4 to F5, or the leaps other franchises did like Gran Turismo.

Edit, after zooming in the image not really, but still a hefty upgrade.

Massive, really? Could you tell me what is massive about it......?

Slightly different camera angle focus, it's a bit closer in Apex......It's generally darker in F7, sun is kinda peaking through in Apex...Rain Spray emitting from tires in F7 is dialed down from Apex....it may very well be an aesthetic improvement because I always felt it kinda gave a vibe that the cars was kinda floating in Apex especially from the close camera angle...as you didn't see the tires hitting the asphalt as they are sometimes concealed...Not a good visual look, however, less rain spray does suggest less strain on the GPU, along with the absence of wetness on the cars in rainy conditions or the absence of headlights in tunnels et. al....as I highlighted in the other thread....However, on a technical level could you please indicate what's a gen ahead or massive?

All I've been doing is watching some 4k Apex footage and comparing with F7 XBONEX.... I even happen to see some extra details in the stands and structures in Apex, but please, tell me what you guys see is massive here...Perhaps I'm missing it, apart from the slightly improved PBR of course.

Smokey

I downloaded the native, uncompressed 9 min 4k footage from their site and yeah, it looks extremely good. Definitely a showcase piece for the X.

rokkerkory

Slightly different camera angle focus, it's a bit closer in Apex......It's generally darker in F7, sun is kinda peaking through in Apex...Rain Spray emitting from tires in F7 is dialed down from Apex....it may very well be an aesthetic improvement because I always felt it kinda gave a vibe that the cars was kinda floating in Apex especially from the close camera angle...as you didn't see the tires hitting the asphalt as they are sometimes concealed...Not a good visual look, however, less rain spray does suggest less strain on the GPU, along with the absence of wetness on the cars in rainy conditions or the absence of headlights in tunnels et. al....as I highlighted in the other thread....However, on a technical level could you please indicate what's a gen ahead or massive?

All I've been doing is watching some 4k Apex footage and comparing with F7 XBONEX.... I even happen to see some extra details in the stands and structures in Apex, but please, tell me what you guys see is massive here...Perhaps I'm missing it, apart from the slightly improved PBR of course.

It's massive jump from xbox one to the 1X for sure. 4x the pixels and dynamic weather plus buncha other gfx effects like AF. It's a 4x jump at least with still overhead left.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Where's this idea of 30% of the GPU not being used? Sounds like DX12 again.
You realize the game isn't done yet right?

They've clearly stated on numerous occasions there is 30% GPU still available..what do you think they're lying?..lol. Go watch Digital Foundry's video that came out like 5 hours ago.

30% more GPU headroom is a fact, how effective DX12 is or 'secret sauce' for Xbone is entirely subjective.

nOoblet16

It's massive jump from xbox one to the 1X for sure. 4x the pixels and dynamic weather plus buncha other gfx effects like AF. It's a 4x jump at least with still overhead left.
Yes it's massive in that sense but it's not a massive when talking purely rendering techniques used.

I mean someone claimed this is a bigger difference than Forza 4 (an Xbox 360 game) to Forza 5 (Xbox One). And that's just false, cause it's not. It's a sequel in the same generation and the Xbox One version will have those upgrades over Forza 6 as well since the engine itself has improved. And whatever power advantage the 1x gets would be spent on increasing the resolution 4x and improving the quality of already existing effects rather than adding something entirely unseen.

vivekTO

Rest of the upgrade is great, especially the IQ, but i hope they do Put some more effort towards the water particle system, its still lacking the detail of Driveclub and I am hopefull that can be achieved as they still have plenty of GPU overhead.

BXZoTHj.gif

look at the droplets reacting to motion on the hood.It really sells the rain effect.

Head.spawn

Going into E3, I fully expected Gran Turismo to hold that graphics crown. The early leaked shots of Forza 7 didn't do much to change that idea... that is until I saw it on the 4k stream. Holy shit. I hope anyone that means to pass judgement on this game has done so after seeing the 4k streams, even better on a 4k tv obviously. I didn't think they had it in them but this certainly blows those early Apex (Scorpio) shots they showed out of the water.

Kiraly

It may or may not be a massive technical leap forward, but aesthetically it definitely is. It is for the first time that a Forza game has wow'ed me, something that only GT5 has managed to do with its very realistic look.

darkinstinct

Totally with you. I have 250+ hours in Forza 6 and there is no giant leap in graphics compared to 7. 6 still looks like a game that was released this year, it's simply beautiful. Image quality of F7 is of course better but it is not a generational leap in any way, not by a long shot.

They've clearly stated on numerous occasions there is 30% GPU still available..what do you think they're lying?..lol. Go watch Digital Foundry's video that came out like 5 hours ago.

30% more GPU headroom is a fact, how effective DX12 is or 'secret sauce' for Xbone is entirely subjective.
Im pretty sure they ment that after porting from x1 to xox, they had 30% gpu load remaining.
Going from 1080p to 4k does that.

rokkerkory

Totally with you. I have 250+ hours in Forza 6 and there is no giant leap in graphics compared to 7. 6 still looks like a game that was released this year, it's simply beautiful. Image quality of F7 is of course better but it is not a generational leap in any way, not by a long shot.

Interesting, have you played F7 on a nice 4k tv by chance?

Ehker

I don't believe you're correct on this. Here's the portion: https://youtu.be/T85Fshj2eiY?t=3m58s

DF says a straight XB1 port of the code to XB1X uses 65% of the XB1X GPU. As far as I know, that's not what we're looking at. Isn't this the XB1X version of the game, not just a direct port of the code?

Doesn't make any sense that they only did a direct port of the code from the XB1 to the XB1X and didn't bother to use over 30% of the GPU when they're trying to show it off at E3.

thelastword

Banned
I'm probably one of the biggest IQ nuts around here and the iq boost is pretty nice from xb1. however we are comparing apex at 4k max settings to F7 on the XBONEX. I dont think that qualifies as a gen ahead. I'd think there should be at least a 2x - 4x leap in base visuals on top of just resolution...for that to happen.

Also, that 30% extra headroom does not mean much since there are many basic graphical elements not implemented in the game thus far, like i've mentioned above, including missing effects, details and no solution for the apparent shimmeribg. So as it stands, there's a lot the remaining headroom has to cover on the xbonex, and you can expect that some elements will be dialed down as well when these features are implemented to keep rez and perf up.

darkinstinct

Interesting, have you played F7 on a nice 4k tv by chance?

What does 4K have to do with anything? The game is built for One S and gets a 4K patch a month later. You think it will look like a generational leap on One S? Cause they already said there will be no Scorpio exclusive features, everything will be on One S.

tapedeck

Im pretty sure they ment that after porting from x1 to xox, they had 30% gpu load remaining.
Going from 1080p to 4k does that.
No.

They had 30% GPU room AFTER going to 4K. Now whether or not they've used all that extra power for the E3 build is unknown but seems HIGHLY unlikely in the that short of a timeframe.

I don't believe you're correct on this. Here's the portion: https://youtu.be/T85Fshj2eiY?t=3m58s

DF says a straight XB1 port of the code to XB1X uses 65% of the XB1X GPU. As far as I know, that's not what we're looking at. Isn't this the XB1X version of the game, not just a direct port of the code?

Doesn't make any sense that they only did a direct port of the code from the XB1 to the XB1X and didn't bother to use over 30% of the GPU when they're trying to show it off at E3.
I'm sure they did what they could to improve the visuals from just a straight port for E3 but to assume they used up all the extra GPU power and have maxed out the visuals in what..a couple months and with 5 months still to go is ridiculous.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I really can't wait for this game.

This will be the very first Forza game I buy, and it's all thanks to them *FINALLY* bringing this dog-gone franchise over to the PC. Hyped as fuck.

Ehker

No.

They had 30% GPU room AFTER going to 4K. Now whether or not they've used all that extra power for the E3 build is unknown but seems HIGHLY unlikely in the that short of a timeframe.

I'm sure they did what they could to improve the visuals from just a straight port for E3 but to assume they used up all the extra GPU power and have maxed out the visuals in what..a couple months with 5 months to go is ridiculous.

It doesn't say after going to 4k. All it says is they did a direct port of the code from the XB1 to the XB1X and it used about 65%. On top of that, even if they were short on time, I'm sure they would have cranked some settings up if they had almost 1/3 of the GPU sitting idle.

You really sound like you're trying to make secret sauce out of this.

EDIT: We've also heard how quick and easy it is to port your game over to the XB1X, so that just makes the idea they did such a poor job for the E3 show even more far fetched.

No.

I'm sure they did what they could to improve the visuals from just a straight port for E3 but to assume they used up all the extra GPU power and have maxed out the visuals in what..a couple months and with 5 months still to go is ridiculous.
Ah okay well thats what i ment to.
Porting from 1080p x1 to 4k xox they had 30 % gpu remaining for extra effects.
And i would bet they are already using it.
Its really close to release, so they are in final stadium. Dont expect any more graphical features.

It doesn't say after going to 4k. All it says is they did a direct port of the code from the XB1 to the XB1X and it used about 65%. On top of that, even if they were short on time, I'm sure they would have cranked some settings up if they had almost 1/3 of the GPU sitting idle.

Uh, no.. they say after porting the game and running in 4K resolution, it was using up about 65% of the gpu resources. Read any of the digital foundry Forzatech articles and you will understand that.

tapedeck

EDIT: We've also heard how quick and easy it is to port your game over to the XB1X, so that just makes the idea they did such a poor job for the E3 show even more far fetched.

https://www.destructoid.com/the-xbo...n-when-running-forza-at-4k-60fps-441794.phtml
In a behind closed doors presentation with Microsoft, we were given a statistic that seems particularly impressive. Forza Motorsport 7 content director John Wendl told us that there's a 30 percent surplus on the GPU, even when running the game at 4K resolution and 60 frames per second. That's surprisingly not-close to the Xbox One X's limits.

Ehker

Uh, no.. they say after porting the game and running in 4K resolution, it was using up about 65% of the gpu resources. Read any of the digital foundry Forzatech articles and you will understand that.

OK, haven't read that, was going by the video. In any case, it's still ridiculous to think they stopped there for this demo.

tapedeck

OK, haven't read that, was going by the video. In any case, it's still ridiculous to think they stopped there for this demo.
Nobody's saying they didn't add improvements for the demo..but again, to assume the final 1X build won't look noticeably better is ridiculous.

Ehker

Nobody's saying they didn't add improvements for the demo..but again, to assume the final 1X build won't look noticeably better is ridiculous.

I'm not saying they can't improve on it. I was disputing a figure on 30% GPU being still available after they simply ported the code from the XB1 to the XB1X being indicative of what we're seeing.

tapedeck

I'm not saying they can't improve on it. I was disputing a figure on 30% GPU being still available after they simply ported the code from the XB1 to the XB1X being indicative of what we're seeing.
Well I don't believe they could have maxed out the GPU for the E3 demo in just a couple months..not even close. I'm not gonna pull a 'percentage GPU remaining after E3 build' number outta my ass, but I'll just say I think there's alot of potential power left to utilize and the final version will look significantly better than this E3 build.

So basically we'll just agree to disagree.

Nategc20

Banned
Ugh really not liking this generation. All this time from developers focusing on hitting 30/60fps so they could please the hardcore of the hardcore. So much effort for something so trivial.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Ugh really not liking this generation. All this time from developers focusing on hitting 30/60fps so they could please the hardcore of the hardcore. So much effort for something so trivial.

60fps is trivial?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Well I don't believe they could have maxed out the GPU for the E3 demo in just a couple months..not even close. I'm not gonna pull a 'percentage GPU remaining after E3 build' number outta my ass, but I'll just say I think there's alot of potential power left to utilize and the final version will look significantly better than this E3 build.

So basically we'll just agree to disagree.

they need months to make at least full framerate reflections???

rokkerkory

I'm probably one of the biggest IQ nuts around here and the iq boost is pretty nice from xb1. however we are comparing apex at 4k max settings to F7 on the XBONEX. I dont think that qualifies as a gen ahead. I'd think there should be at least a 2x - 4x leap in base visuals on top of just resolution...for that to happen.

Also, that 30% extra headroom does not mean much since there are many basic graphical elements not implemented in the game thus far, like i've mentioned above, including missing effects, details and no solution for the apparent shimmeribg. So as it stands, there's a lot the remaining headroom has to cover on the xbonex, and you can expect that some elements will be dialed down as well when these features are implemented to keep rez and perf up.

What does 4K have to do with anything? The game is built for One S and gets a 4K patch a month later. You think it will look like a generational leap on One S? Cause they already said there will be no Scorpio exclusive features, everything will be on One S.

I never said it was a generational leap lol... sometimes it's hard to follow posts I know.

I did say it was a big jump from 1080p to 4k.

DigitalFoundry - [4K] Forza Motorsport 7 Xbox One X - 9 Minutes of Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7-9Izyuaxg

Hopefully Microsoft can improve the aliasing and get a temporal AA solution in place.

WTF...how did i miss this video? Game looks crazy good! Even better than what i saw in other videos. Thanks for posting it.
My 2nd most anticipated game this year after Super Mario Odyssey. Can't wait!

I skipped on Forza 6 cause the cars just just felt disconnected from the track especially when it was raining.....that annoyed the hell out of me. Maybe it's just me but the cars looked like they were hovering above the road. Forza 7 though....damn.

MscbahJ.jpg

This comparison is a bit unfair because Forza 6 also has reflections from the car there, it is just the, IMO, poor looking spray sprite is too opaque and covering it up.

Top Bottom