• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA: San Andreas HD on Xbox 360 is a mobile port

DryvBy

Rats. I was hoping for this on PC/PS3 with a trophy/achievement update mainly. But not at the loss of quality.

NekoFever

Shitty port or not, if it comes to PS4 or Vita I'll buy it. When it comes to the ability to play San Andreas on a handheld I'll take what I can get. But yeah it's really shitty how badly Rockstar just phoned this in. The lack of effort is astounding. They couldn't even be bothered to officially announce the thing. Such a joke. And the thing is if they did a proper remaster and make a big deal out of it then it would print money.

Tee hee.

BigDug13

It's pretty shitty to pull a better version from the Xbox store only to replace it with an inferior version. Why would you do that? Rockstar got money either way so why now sell a far inferior version?

Altered_Beast

Neo Member
Its $3.74 (US). The price alone makes the shoddy port ok. The cost-benefit is much better here than say, $40 for Angry Birds Star Wars (an "optimized" next Gen port).

Foffy

Banned
LCS & VCS for PS2 were shitty PSP ports. It happened before.

LCS more than VCS. VCS tried to add more content, and it did in the form of new side-missions. The PS2 version of LCS is missing multiplayer.

Both are still significantly better than their PSP counterparts - thanks to SA camera control in particular - that despite their lazy port quality, they're the current definitive versions. At least until the day both games are either fully ported or remade for PC, officially or not.

GlamFM

Banned
LCS more than VCS. VCS tried to add more content, and it did in the form of new side-missions. The PS2 version of LCS is missing multiplayer.

Both are still significantly better than their PSP counterparts - thanks to SA camera control in particular - that despite their lazy port quality, they're the current definitive versions. At least until the day both games are either fully ported or remade for PC, officially or not.

Still looked far worse than LC & VC on PS2.

Mastah

It's just an awful port:

-game freezes quite often, people have problems with starting missions, I've experienced it first hand with what, 7 missions into the game?
-stuttering not only framerate, but also cars, when they start to bounce without any reason to do so
-randomly missing sound during cut scenes
-digital analogs, so you can't control acceleration in vehicles, it's either 100% or 0
-broken free aiming, way too sensitive even on the lowest possible settings
-right trigger - aiming, left trigger - shooting = LOL
-no vibrations
-no grass, which was present in PS2, Xbox and PC versions
-also I'm pretty sure heat haze effect is removed
-awful skips on radio stations, for me it's actually making this port almost unplayable, I can't even enjoy listening to the radio, because there is not one full track or radio show, it fucking skips or loops all the time
-saves don't have time stamps - yes, really, you have to remebmer in which slot you last saved the game
-radio dies after completing missions like taxi driver or firefighter, so you have to re-enter vehicle to get it back
-something what looks like crushed blacks to the max in dark places or during nights, you just can't see shit

and there's much, much more.

Many wonder why only on X360 or why is there no official announcement - because it's fucking terrible port, which needs to be fixed as soon as possible. It's so bad even Rockstar didn't acknowledge it on their website or Twitter - there is no info about this piece of shit. Don't buy it, unless you REALLY want it. I bought it because of achievements and because it's another version of San Andreas on consoles, but even for such a huge GTA fan like me, it's a chore to play through it, not to mention get 100%.

U4Aa68UDtcezGo5AUL1T5nWUcgAkBdiocTv7FIjFl6HvR6l_17VRCGlRDKsXaNJRgCTIaXPgMESt-dmQbdimtaDyF6ww0ARfhq4DwD7CNe-NChVTaWvtQhSGRWJbeaYByv-2zL0xv8o1RkO7BM7NF8IIyNSUnnELlgtXx2AU2ff6i_HMZQOS=w430-h228-nc

Lmao

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The lack of NWA is the biggest offence.

How are you gonna have a GTA game set in California and remove the fucking NWA song

Glad I still own the original PS2 copy. Shame these companies port console games to mobile then port the mobile version BACK to console.

riotous

Banned
Incredibly shitty cash-in port.

Guess it's a strong enough brand for it to not matter overall.. excellent next-gen ports and PC GTA V will have people quickly forgetting this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dafuq really ?

Are there other songs removed or only NWA?

Several
Playback FM "Critical Beatdown"
K-DST "Running Down A Dream", "Woman To Woman"
Bounce FM "You Dropped A Bomb On Me", "Yum Yum", "Running Away"
Radio Los Santos "I Don't Give A f*ck", "Express Yourself"
Radio X "Killing in the Name of", "Hellraiser"
K-Jah West "Ring My Bell", "Don't Let It Go To Your Head"
MasterSounds 98.3 "Express Yourself", "Rock Creek Park", "Grunt", "Soul Power '74", "The Payback"

AwRy108

If anything, this made me get the PS2 Classics version in case it's removed (US). For $4, no biggie.

Yeah, I bought the "remaster" on the 360 for $3.74, and found it to be really off-putting. Glad to know that my impressions are justified.

Prolly going to grab the PS2 version for $4, too.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
No shit. The mobile menu is the first thing you see when you load up the game. I'm glad I didn't buy it (the price was very tempting) but it looks like this is going to be the only version available on digital stores going forward thanks to the licensing issues. Thankfully I still have my physical PS2, Xbox and PC versions.

Wow! Can we hold back on the lazy dev stuff for a second for a learning moment? Now if this is the mobile port, something I suspected, can someone knowledgable inform me if the performance issues are related to mobile being open GL and micro sg platforms using directx? Or is this related to the engine of the mobile port? Wanting money is a given, but could any amount of time made it better?

jimi_dini

What's even more unimpressive is that frame-rate is capped to 30fps and you don't even get a locked, consistent performance level. Travelling around Los Santos, we note occasional hitching and stuttering, with frame-time dips often in excess of 60ms, which translates into momentary dips where the game is running at the equivalent of 15fps.

360 worse than mobile phones confirmed

Normally this would make me mad, but on the other hand... Rockstar knows that anything will sell with the GTA name on it. Even when it's a crappy port of an awesome game. They could literally shit in a box, write "GTA" on the box with poop and it would still sell. So why should they bother to do proper or at least acceptable work?

Top Bottom