• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Project CARS Performance Analysis (PS4/XB1)

So the frame rate only really drops in the rain with a ton of cars? I don't anticipate having a problem with this game. I'm looking forward to next week.

danowat

Banned
4CDrzpt.png

What's with the PS4's double vision? I've seen several shots with this on the PS4, but not the Xbox One.

Temporal AA.

Although it looks shocking in static images, I personally struggle to see it when the game is in motion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, the whole outrage against DF was practically for nothing? Lol.
That whole thread of blood and wars, all the mighty warriors for what?

The game still looks quite good on consoles and the framerate is not that horrible. I mean, it wouldn't be an issue normally for other games, but this is a racing sim that has as main selling points speed and graphics and this analysis is not pretty with either.

Skii

Because they review the game, not one specific metric that most gamers don't even know or care about?

This is part of the game for a console owner... It should be scrutinised. It's a mess. A sim racer on the new gen consoles should not be dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps. That is awful.

They should be reducing the rain effects and number of cars to ensure that frame-rate doesn't drop so much. Very poor optimisation on their part.

And a lot of gamers do care about fps dropping from 60-30. It is extremely noticeable imo.

Man, I'm so disappointed with the framerate and screen-tearing. Ugh. Usually I'll just pass on the game and never really think about it again, like with AC:U, but I really wanted this to be solid on console. I was ready for sim racers again.

Sigh.

Man, I'm so disappointed with the framerate and screen-tearing. Ugh. Usually I'll just pass on the game and never think about it again, like with AC:U, but I really wanted this to be solid on console. I was ready for sim racers again.

Sigh.

You can always do the unthinkable.
get a pc

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Man, I'm so disappointed with the framerate and screen-tearing. Ugh. Usually I'll just pass on the game and never think about it again, like with AC:U, but I really wanted this to be solid on console. I was ready for sim racers again.

Sigh.

bare in mind that is worst case scenario stuff. seems the game holds 60 under most conditions.

i wonder, does the actual career mode place you into such tight packed grids on some of these troublesome tracks, in night, and heavy rain? is all that user configurable? or is all of this only accessible as a set up in custom races?

nib95

Banned
Given the number of cars on screen, I'm ok with the performance. Seems 60fps in ordinary day races is held well enough, and the drops in the rain aren't significant until you start added a very large amount of vehicles. I must say, the game looks amazing too.

No purchase for me now. I wanted a rock solid 60fps, GT5/6 couldn't do it and unfortunately project cars can't either. Frame rate should be priority and reduce whatever to maintain 60fps.

nib95

Banned
No purchase for me now. I wanted a rock solid 60fps, GT5/6 couldn't do it and unfortunately project cars can't either. Frame rate should be priority and reduce whatever to maintain 60fps.

With that many vehicles on screen at a time, and this level of weather effects, I think that's an impossible ask. Unprecedented as far as consoles go. You could always just stick to races with non absurd numbers of cars if you care that much about the frame rate, or even avoid rain races altogether.

End of the day, I prefer these things being in the game at the cost of the frame rate, than them being taken out altogether. Aside from the worst case scenario's, I think it holds up pretty well overall.

RawNuts

SMS have been foreshadowing the console performance of their game for a long time now, you just had to figure it out.

There is obvious ghosting on the silhouette, and screen tearing right there in the logo! It was right in front of us the whole time.

:p

This is part of the game for a console owner... It should be scrutinised. It's a mess. A sim racer on the new gen consoles should not be dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps. That is awful.

They should be reducing the rain effects and number of cars to ensure that frame-rate doesn't drop so much. Very poor optimisation on their part.

And a lot of gamers do care about fps dropping from 60-30. It is extremely noticeable imo.

This. They should have done whatever was necessary. Turn down the shadow quality, tone down rain effects, turn down number of cars on-track, reduce the poly-count on the cars...anything that needs to be done to get a stable framerate and to get rid of that awful screen-tearing, which for me is even worse than framerate drops.

With that many vehicles on screen at a time, and this level of weather effects, I think that's an impossible ask. Unprecedented as far as consoles go. You could always just stick to races with non absurd numbers of cars if you care that much about the frame rate, or even avoid rain races altogether.

What about if I'm playing the career mode and it has weather events? I wouldn't have mind if they used dynamic resolution like in Wipeout HD.

Gassolini

Neo Member
...They should be reducing the rain effects and number of cars to ensure that frame-rate doesn't drop so much. Very poor optimisation on their part...
That would just result in another flavour of outrage. 30fps lock? Yet another outrage. This is the age of entitled outrage and games shall be torn apart, slaughtered, killed, then murdered and killed again at launch :))

MaLDo

SMS have been foreshadowing the console performance of their game for a long time now, you just had to figure it out.

There is obvious ghosting on the silhouette, and screen tearing right there in the logo! It was right in front of us the whole time.

:p

Da Project Code.

MaxiLive

Ourf, that can't be advertising it at 60 fps if it can only hit it certain scenarios? Looks like the framerate is quite high most of the time but when it dips, it dips down low! Kind of disappointing as they have been advertising it a 60fps title but very understandable from the game position due to the visuals, technology and amount of cars on track.

End of the day, I prefer these things being in the game at the cost of the frame rate, than them being taken out altogether. Aside from the worst case scenario's, I think it holds up pretty well overall.

They don't have to be taken out completely, just toned down.

Mascot

Given the number of cars on screen, I'm ok with the performance. Seems 60fps in ordinary day races is held well enough, and the drops in the rain aren't significant until you start added a very large amount of vehicles. I must say, the game looks amazing too.

Quite.

To be honest I think the novelty of racing in the rain will soon wear off (it did for me in Dr!v£clu3 after less than two days) so I'm disappointed, but not too bothered, by performance hits in torrential downpours.

op_ivy

They don't have to be taken out completely, just toned down.

i asked this, poorly, above but does the career mode force these settings and massive drops on the player, or does the game scale number of cars (and less likely, weather), based on the track? in other words, the game could be designed where you normally wouldnt run into these scenarios, and only get them if the user configures a race under worst case scenarios.

if the game doesnt do this, it ought to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And I saw the discussion about ghosting in the other thread and I didn't pay too much attention to it, but damn, there is almost no screenshot without it. It's not good to drive after so many beers.

I am literally at the point where I don't understand why the "60 fps or die" people even own a console or really even read a console thread.

And I get the idea most don't own a console, and only read console threads to talk about how superior PC is and/or how much consoles suck.

kpaadet

Turn 10 is made up of actual wizards if Forza 6 is locked to 60 at 1080p w/ weather.
Or they just have a much bigger team with a much bigger budget while only having to focus on one platform. Considering SMS size and budget, I would say Project Cars turned out very well.

_machine

i asked this, poorly, above but does the career mode force these settings and massive drops on the player, or does the game scale number of cars (and less likely, weather), based on the track? in other words, the game could be designed where you normally wouldnt run into these scenarios, and only get them if the user configures a race under worst case scenarios.

if the game doesnt do this, it ought to.
It already does:
All in all, it's fair to say Project Cars' final console build is equipped to hit 60fps in its career mode races, though the consistency of this falls hugely on its weather settings. As with our initial hands-on, heavy rain is still the cause for the most sizable drops to 50fps and lower, while races with clear skies hold much closer to the target 60fps. It's also evident Xbox One struggles to match the PS4's performance levels in most scenarios, especially with a conga line of cars in tow, where Sony's platform typically takes a firm lead.
Same goes pretty much for multiplayer, you won't get those 30fps drops in MP and most likely not in career. Most of the time in the career mode it's hitting near 60 fps.

op_ivy

Turn 10 is made up of actual wizards if Forza 6 is locked to 60 at 1080p w/ weather.

i'm afraid any weather in fm6 will be poorly implemented, at least visually. racing in the rain is good for variety, but once the newness wears off, its good conditions for me. i'd prefer that fm6 skipped weather entirely, or maybe made it a preset thing for a few simpler tracks. i'm sure i'm in the minority though.

nib95

Banned
What about if I'm playing the career mode and it has weather events? I wouldn't have mind if they used dynamic resolution like in Wipeout HD.

The drops in weather still aren't that bad when it's 20 cars though, where it sticks to the upper 50's mostly. It only starts getting really hairy when it's rain coupled with a huge number of cars, in this instance 45 cars.

op_ivy

Blimey, your crystal ball is good, can you tell me this weeks winning lottery numbers?

i'm afraid, as in, its what i expect. not as in heres how it will be. i wasnt impressed with its inclusion in fh2 and that was at 30fps. we'll see though, hope i'm wrong.

I quote Ian Bell (head of SMS) over at WMD in relation to console performance:

"It's definitely better than Driveclub.

The only heat we should get is from large congratulatory slaps on the arse."

lol

op_ivy

It already does:

Same goes pretty much for multiplayer, you won't get those 30fps drops in MP and most likely not in career. Most of the time in the career mode it's hitting near 60 fps.

Again, these are stress tests, you are very unlikely to hit low framerates during either career or multiplayer.

good news.

danowat

Banned
I quote Ian Bell (head of SMS) over at WMD in relation to console performance:

"It's definitely better than Driveclub.

The only heat we should get is from large congratulatory slaps on the arse."

lol

dat hyperbole

they ain't crippled by self doubt are they LOL

Top Bottom