• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PS4/Pro - All Consoles Tested

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Resident Evil 4 Remake: we've tested the demo, we've reviewed the game - and now we're returning to the good old fashioned platform comparisons. Which version runs best? Which version exhibits the most impressive visuals? What's up with controller response on the Xbox builds? And how does the game stack up on the last-gen PS4 and PS4 Pro? Oliver Mackenzie has all the answers, with all capture from the day one experience.

00:00 Overview
00:50 Current-gen visual differences
06:04 Current-gen performance
09:24 Last-gen visuals and performance
12:53 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Summary:

- Limited capture to first 2 hours of game, still be ware of spoilers.

- Resolutions and Visuals:

- Series X roughly hits 1800p in performance and 2160p in resolution mode, both w/ checker boarding.
- Resolution mode is a bit clear but both hold up pretty similarly owing to the games dark contrasty nature.

- PS5 in performance mode comes around 1944p and resolution at 2160p
- Looks 'substantially blurrier'. The game is smeary on PS5 on opaque surfaces and a lot of break up on transparencies and a lot of SSAO shimmer as well.

- Series S renders at 1080p in performance and 1440p in resolution.
- Series S takes a hit in texture quality but otherwise very close to the others.
- Series S, despite lower resolution, has about the same amount of aliasing as PS5

- Turning Resolution mode On and RT Off also disables Screen Space Resolutions for some reason. A baffling issue. But DF thinks the RE engine SSR is bad so they would have rather removed it entirely.
- Lens Distortion and Chromatic Aberration is advised to be turned off. It degrades the IQ and PS5 is especially effected with a very soft resolve.
- Hair Strand should be disabled, DF (Oliver specifically) likes the non-strand hair. The lighting also doesn't play nice with Strand = On.
- RT improves presentation but only applies to reflections, does not apply to all surfaces and is rendered in low quality.
- Series S does not have RT on/off toggle but the resolution mode enables RT reflections by default at a very low resolution. It does not have Hair Strands either.

- Performance:

- Series X, without RT/hair runs a tested scene at 60 but as you enable things like RT and Hair, it starts dropping performance to a big extent. Even with everything off the performance can fall in combat scenarios to mid/low 50s.
- Resolution mode drops even more than the performance mode. Can drop as low as mid 30s with everything enabled in Resolution mode.
- PS5 is much the same but the average frame rate is higher in all modes.
- In Frame rate mode with everything off, drops to mid 50s in combat.
- In Resolution mode bottoms out at high 40s and everything enabled at low 40s.
- Series S runs worse than both the above, but it has RT locked on in Resolution mode as well.
- Series S frame rate mode spend between 50 and 60 and Resolution mode drops to low 30s in combat.

- DF's recommendation: Stick to frame rate mode.
- If you have a VRR display, then enable Ray Tracing.
- 'Xbox players have a bit more latitude to play with' thanks to the larger VRR window, at the cost of response fluidity.

- Overall, Oliver is 'not really happy' with all the modes and none of them having locked performance. Would have preferred a simple 30 and 60 FPS toggle instead.
- DF also encountered some visual bugs like flickering water in their testing.
- Xbox versions controller dead zone response is tackled. Neither console feels very responsive but Series version has the added dead zones on top.

- Last Gen:

- PS4 version is 'an impressive effort taken as a whole'
- But a lot of differences when seen side by side
- Texture resolution very low and a lot of streaming issues
- Lighting also downgraded with low quality GI and missing shadows from dynamic light sources.
- No SSR and sub surface scattering either.
- Foliage lacks animation and enemies drop to half frame rate at medium distance.

- PS4; 900p, only one visual mode. PS4 Pro: Frame Rate: 972p, Res: 4K w/ checker boarding.
- PS4: Generally between 35-50.
- PS4 Pro Performance: 60 in quiet areas and drops to low 50s in combat similar to Series X
- PS4 Pro Resolution mode is the worst performer in all the tested versions, in low 30s and drops to 20s.

Last edited:
Series X VRR just keeps on giving. Like I said before when many people are having a pop at graphic fidelity, this gen They really need to invest in a good TV.
Its a shame it's not talked about at all, but the Atmos sound support is also great in this

Last edited:

Banned
omfg, thank god I turned RT on 🤣 those Screen Space Reflections are fucking hideous!

why are they even in the game? the cubemap reflections look 1000 times better

adamsapple

omfg, thank god I turned RT on 🤣 those Screen Space Reflections are fucking hideous!

why are they even in the game? the cubemap reflections look 1000 times better

Yep.

I played through with Frame Rate mode and RT on. Didn't even look back cause I've experienced how bad the RE engine SSR reflections were in RE2 and RE3 remake before their RT patches.

Don't want to go back there, not at all.

nordique

I’m a bit disappointed with the ps5 version.

I’ve played 7, 8 the other remakes on PS and am hoping to do so with this one. Debating picking this up on Series X now

I presume this was on latest patch?

DJ12

No mention of the massive update in resolution on the ps5 version over the demo?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

adamsapple

No mention of the massive update in resolution on the ps5 version over the demo?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

There's been no change, it's exactly the same. In the demo video Alex said "it seems to be running at 1440p". I wouldn't blame them because of the IQ.

I'm quite surprised at how much the PS5 version chugs, particularly during weather effects. It looks nice but nothing ground breaking. Then again, I am playing with all the bells and whistles turned on.

intbal

I can see why they skipped Xbone.

I doubt base Xbox One owners are too broken up about it, since they already have a version of the game that runs at 1080p and a locked 60fps.
The visuals in the remake are nice, but it wouldn't be worth the graphical improvements to have to play at 24-30fps on Xbox One (probably).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Watched the video while at the gym and still wasn’t clear on this -

Do the XSX and PS5 in Resolution mode render in NATIVE 4k or is it still checkerboarded but locked?

Bojji

I'm quite surprised at how much the PS5 version chugs, particularly during weather effects. It looks nice but nothing ground breaking. Then again, I am playing with all the bells and whistles turned on.

It probably runs around 40 fps with all settings on so far below vrr window. Xbox works much better with 120hz refresh and low framerate compensation.

Banned
Watched the video while at the gym and still wasn’t clear on this -

Do the XSX and PS5 in Resolution mode render in NATIVE 4k or is it still checkerboarded but locked?

checkerboard 4K
easy to see on PS5 as the checkerboarding seems to simply not work right there and you can see the half horizontal resolution on many edges.

that's why in their first look for the demo John said it seems to run at around 1440p in performance mode as it's even more obvious there

Last edited:

Mr Moose

checkerboard 4K
easy to see on PS5 as the checkerboarding seems to simply not work right there and you can see the half horizontal resolution on many edges.

that's why in their first look for the demo John said it seems to run at around 1440p in performance mode as it's even more obvious there
That was Alex (and Tom, and Tom is blind).

Edge Lord

I've been playing In resolution mode with rt and hair strand off on ps5. So should I switch to performance mode with rt on?Also my TV doesn't have vrr.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm not buying it until it's fixed, hopefully soon. I mean, it doesn't look dog shit but it could look better and there's no real reason it doesn't.

it really is weird, especially because they must know it's not working... and I wonder why it's not working. just super weird

Last edited:

Darsxx82

checkerboard 4K

I'm beginning to understand that XSX and PS5 use a different reconstruction method..... The result in different aspects related to IQ is evident enough to be a simple bug. XSS even achieves a very decent result against PS5 even though the resolution difference is supposed to be huge.

In any case, we will see if Capcom launches patches to improve the negative aspects of each version... Which I doubt knowing the background.

Banned
From your own summary:

Performance mode: Appears to use DRS. Similar location tested was 1440p on PS5 and 1728p on Series X.

the issue is that if you look at the horizontal resolution on PS5, that your pixel counts will come out close to 1440p.
in some scenes even the vertical res will give you ~1440p.

the broken checkerboarding does that to the image.
in one of VG Tech's images they used to pixelcount I found 2 edges that gave me a 1440p result due to the broken checkerboarding. (specifically in the shot of the village from above)

adamsapple

From your own summary:

Performance mode: Appears to use DRS. Similar location tested was 1440p on PS5 and 1728p on Series X.

Yeah they said that's what it looked like to them, and John later said on twitter that demo video was a more casual look at the game, not a thorough analysis.

Also, again, the IQ *is* very soft for the pixel count it's supposed to be at so can't really put fault at any one source.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, everything I've ever said about resolutions has been thrown on its head with this game. To see that the xbox version is 1800p but looks significantly better than the ps5 at a higher res has blown my mind.

Whatever capcom did to the ps5 version is crazy. That suggestion by a user here that it could be due to PSVR is interesting.

I'm playing on xbox and I'm fine with the controls, Dolby atmos, awesome looks and a great vrr TV with framerate raytracing is the shiznit!

Saying that, I hope they patch them all. Does anyone with knowledge know how checherboarding can be done differently? How is the pa5 version looking this much worse. Its almost like the series S is on par with it here.

Last edited:

DJ12

Yeah they said that's what it looked like to them, and John later said on twitter that demo video was a more casual look at the game, not a thorough analysis.

Also, again, the IQ *is* very soft for the pixel count it's supposed to be at so can't really put fault at any one source.
But they 'tested' it which you assume would mean they counted the pixels, and then just guessed incorrectly anyway despite nailing what series x was?

Of course John would say it was a casual look, probably coincided with other sources coming up with different counts.

Just more proof that these guys are no longer the 'go to' source for this stuff.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Well, everything I've ever said about resolutions has been thrown on its head with this game. To see that the xbox version is 1800p but looks significantly better than the ps5 at a higher res has blown my mind.

Whatever capcom did to the ps5 version is crazy. That suggestion by a user here that it could be due to PSVR is interesting.

I'm playing on xbox and I'm fine with the controls, Dolby atmos, awesome looks and a great vrr TV with framerate raytracing is the shiznit!

Saying that, I hope they patch them all. Does anyone with knowledge know how checherboarding can be done differently? How is the pa5 version looking this much worse. Its almost like the series S is on par with it here.
Could be party due to the AA.

Iamgoat100

Neo Member
Does the Dolby Atmos sound right to you? I tried both Atmos and Windows Sonic and they both sound hollow and simulated like you would get in a game that didn't have native 3D audio. I switched to uncompressed stereo and to me, it sounded much better. It doesn't have that simulated hollow sound and is clearer and crisper with much better bass.

I don't remember having this issue in Village.

TonyK

Regarding the deadzone problem in XSX I "solved" it connecting the PS5 Dualsense to the Series X. I know this is not a proper "solution" because implies a cost and changing the controller, but maybe it could help somebody as me. With the Dualsense the deadzone becomes minimal. I don't know why the deadzone is smaller using the Dualsense instead of the Xbox controller, but accuracy it's clearly better, very close to PS5 controls. I managed to do S rank in the three courses of the first shooting range meanwhile it was impossible for me using the Xbox controller.

I used this wireless adapter for XSX:
IVSgLTr.jpg

Banned
Regarding the deadzone problem in XSX I "solved" it connecting the PS5 Dualsense to the Series X. I know this is not a proper "solution" because implies a cost and changing the controller, but maybe it could help somebody as me. With the Dualsense the deadzone becomes minimal. I don't know why the deadzone is smaller using the Dualsense instead of the Xbox controller, but accuracy it's clearly better, very close to PS5 controls. I managed to do S rank in the three courses of the first shooting range meanwhile it was impossible for me using the Xbox controller.

IVSgLTr.jpg

that has to do with this converter then, because the deadzone is hard coded in-game. a different controller will not change it.

basically this means your adapter is sending the stick inputs incorrectly, which in this case has this positive benefit.

if you use remote play to play with a Dualsense the deadzone does not change, even tho in theory Remote play does the same thing, it sends the signal from the dualsense to your Xbox.

one of the YouTube videos that tested the deadzones on all versions did so by using remote play and a Dualsense for all versions.

Last edited:

Neo_game

FSR is really bad in this game so that cannot be the solution either.

They obviously had to get the game out before FY ending so it can help in the revenue, profits margins. I hope they can fix the issues with later update or they should go for 1440P 60fps and 4k 30 fps on consoles.

I'm not buying it until it's fixed, hopefully soon. I mean, it doesn't look dog shit but it could look better and there's no real reason it doesn't.

I'm not buying it until it's fixed too. I usually am weak and buy every game I'm hyped for. Re4 is the game that's broken the camels back though. It really pisses me off that such a beloved game got a botch job from Capcom and that they had all this time to fix the deadzone after hearing feedback from the demo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
FSR is really bad in this game so that cannot be the solution either.

They obviously had to get the game out before FY ending so it can help in the revenue, profits margins. I hope they can fix the issues with later update or they should go for 1440P 60fps and 4k 30 fps on consoles.

Nailed it! Classic end of financial year play and runs nicely into next year. So all front loaded sales will be this year with a nice tail into fy2024.

Hopefully they patch it ASAP.

damidu

IVSgLTr.jpg
doesn't this add extra lag on top of already atrocious input lag

TonyK

doesn't this add extra lag on top of already atrocious input lag
No, 0 added lag with the Dual Sense. I'm super sensitive to input lag. I play in a LG CX with any effect disabled, even sharpness, just for that reason.

But it adds a ton of input lag if you connect a Switch Pro controller. In theory it should not add lag for the Dualsense and the Nintendo Pro controller, but in my case it only works perfectly with the Ps5 controller.

Response is perfect. In fact, I just beaten the final boss of Wo Long with the dual sense connected to the XSX because it was easier to parry with this controller 😅 Again, I don't know why.

RobRSG

IVSgLTr.jpg
I have one of these laying around with my Hori Fighting Edge somewhere. Gonna try it out on the XSX.

Patrick S.

Banned
Nice, was waiting for this vi… fuck, it’s Oliver :( This guy’s slow, monotone and droning voice reaaaaaaally puts me off every time. Thanks for the summaries!

Last edited:
Top Bottom