• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital foundry vs PS4 Slim

Shame they removed TOSLINK. :/
Was actually thinking about getting one but no TOSLINK is a dealbreaker for me (Schiit stack w/ beyer DT 990 Pro is my audio). :/

bombshell

That is quite loud for gaming and shows that the vanilla also was quite loud although people were pretending there PS4's were whisper quiet. Gaming also seems to be louder than the Xbox One S although I have to blame DF for not using the same games to do a real comparison.

lol

Of course they used the same games in order to make the comparison. They literally say the PS4 Slim is comparable in noise levels to Xbox One in the tests they conducted and quieter than Xbox One S.

That is quite loud for gaming and shows that the vanilla also was quite loud although people were pretending there PS4's were whisper quiet. Gaming also seems to be louder than the Xbox One S although I have to blame DF for not using the same games to do a real comparison.

Looks like someone didn't read the article.
Their conclusion is that this new ps4 is quieter than the Xbox One S and 'up there with the original xbox one' which as far as I know is widely considered quiet.
So unless you have evidence to the contrary your statement flies in the face of DF findings and more than a little puzzling.

Btw, the Assassins creed Unity sound ratings are from the title screen which for some reason (maybe unlocked fps) makes the fan go into overdrive mode.
Their actual in game testing of games such as Rocket League, reveals a much quieter system - as much as 20dB reduction.
Really impressive job by Sony to make an already small system (relative to the og Xbox One at least) and make it even smaller, while reducing heat and noise levels to such an extent.
One thing I'd like to add - DF were pleased with the look of the system and state in the article that photos don't do it justice.

If the pro model wasn't available for only £100 more, this would have been a worthwhile upgrade for me in case of my og ps4 failing.

c0de

lol

Of course they used the same games in order to make the comparison. They literally say the PS4 Slim is comparable in noise levels to Xbox One in the tests they conducted and quieter than Xbox One S.

Looks like someone didn't read the article.
Their conclusion is that this new ps4 is quieter than the Xbox One S and 'up there with the original xbox one' which as far as I know is widely considered quiet.
So unless you have evidence to the contrary your statement flies in the face of DF findings and more than a little puzzling.

1AGZx3rl.png

knipsel9xuwi.png

"same"
I know what they wrote but the data they show doesn't represent that.
Edit: Well, it seems I forgot that disc spinning is a thing of the past this gen :) After installing, there is no disc spinning anymore happening so yes, my initial statement was wrong in that the new PS4 is louder, yes. Doesn't change the fact that the old is loud, though, which still many people argue back and forth.

bombshell

http://imgur.com/1AGZx3rl.png
https://abload.de/img/knipsel9xuwi.png

"same"
I know what they wrote but the data they show doesn't represent that.
Edit: Well, it seems I forgot that disc spinning is a thing of the past this gen :) After installing, there is no disc spinning anymore happening so yes, my initial statement was wrong in that the new PS4 is louder, yes. Doesn't change the fact that the old is loud, though, which still many people argue back and forth.

I knew exactly what different game data you referred to, but I still wrote "lol" because they of course are not writing the comparison based on anything else than identical tests even if they are not showing that data for Xbox in this article.

And the Unity test being loud is not only because of disc spinning. It's a absolute worst case scenario test because that game menu is running fully unlocked framerate above 60 fps like other game menu's for whatever silly, unnecessary reasons.

THE:MILKMAN

really excellent, especially power draw

let's what the 310W PSU of the Pro has to draw.

I can't see it using more than 180W in a worse case scenario (like Unity spinning a disc) and a lot of games nearer to 150W. It depends on what custom things Sony have done to the GPU.

I wonder if those that care about power consumption also care about such with HDR TV's? Because right now a lot those use a massive amount of power with HDR on compared to off (like 120% to 360% more!)

Aceofspades

Banned
How did they manage those feats?

Internal PB (Check)
Smallest current gen console (Check)
Lower power draw (check)

and above that it managed to be quieter than MS Xbox One S? which is way bigger than PS4Slim and less powerful !

Engineering at its finest from Sony.

Shin-chan

Hmm quite tempting to buy one of these in the interim between this and the Pro. i hope the quiet is the same across both the new models, it's basically my only criticism of the original model.

Number45

My white PS4 I tend to play with headphones (and they're optical, so the slim is out of the equation there), but the original black in my living room is noisy as fuck.

Anyone know anywhere in the UK offering a trade in?

Daniel-Day-Lewis-in-Gangs-Of-New-York-GIF-what-in-the-heavens-name-are-you-talking-about.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The OG model was ALREADY small, yet they made it even smaller!? Wizards i say! I must have this!

But is is stable?

Very glad to hear how quiet it is! I hope the Pro is silent af

they fixed the wobble, addressed in the video!

I'm confused. I read an article on arstechnica this morning which said that the new slim runs almost as hot as the original version. Is this slim version quiet or again the same where one console runs quiet and the other sounds like a jet engine? I've had two models now, one louder than the other. If I move to slim and it's gonna be more of the same I'm really going to lose it. The noise right now is ridiculous.

BigEmil

This + 5ghz/AC WiFi and including the new controller gonna trade in my OG PS4 for the Slim :)

I skip the Pro and get PS5. 4K TV too early to get now

Inuhanyou

I'm confused. I read an article on arstechnica this morning which said that the new slim runs almost as hot as the original version. Is this slim version quiet or again the same where one console runs quiet and the other sounds like a jet engine? I've had two models now, one louder than the other. If I move to slim and it's gonna be more of the same I'm really going to lose it. The noise right now is ridiculous.

They don't have any actual technical comparison experience. Don't trust Ars.

Fluxdyne

I'm confused. I read an article on arstechnica this morning which said that the new slim runs almost as hot as the original version.
I haven't read the article but it makes sense for the temperatures to be similar, as they are probably using slower/smaller fans to decrease noise level.

You don't know exactly how the video was recorded (microphone volume can vary a lot...) so the video seems meaningless without a comparison between the models.

You are correct. Just saying that Digital Foundry measurements suggest that PS4 slim is as quiet as the original Xbox One. I don't care where you stick the microphone with Xbone, there's no way you get that much noise out of it.

Just don't want to "upgrade" again and be in the same situation, where my console sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it heats up.

Inuhanyou

https://youtu.be/qNAxrKnY2d0

Is this video real or fake? Because this doesn't sound quiet to me. It most definitely doesn't sound like it's as quiet as the OG Xbox One.

you can't measure sound decibels in an actual enviorment just by putting a mic up to the console.

Not only that, but the BR drive is louder than the console, when it stops spinning, the console will not make sound

You are correct. Just saying that Digital Foundry measurements suggest that PS4 slim is as quiet as the original Xbox One. I don't care where you stick the microphone with Xbone, there's no way you get that much noise out of it.

Just don't want to "upgrade" again and be in the same situation, where my console sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it heats up.

that will happen eventually if you dont clean it anyway cause of the dust. But this machine should be far more sound and heat efficient based on DF's tests

that will happen eventually if you dont clean it anyway cause of the dust. But this machine should be far more sound and heat efficient based on DF's tests

Well let's hope that's the case. Will wait when people actually get the machine in their hands and check their impressions after that.

Huddy

Richard really needs to get his hands under control, I can't help but be drawn to them.

Slim being whisper quite is much needed, no more jet planes.

theDeeDubs

Awesome to hear that it's that quiet, as my launch unit gets pretty loud. I'm impressed they could actually design something uglier than the original too. The parallelogram sandwich just doesn't do it for me.

Top Bottom