• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Hoo-doo

Banned
Theres not really 'plenty' of those people in a mass market sense. This (and the pro) are still very niche products. It wont reverse MS fortunes or anything, but it will please a portion of thier fans, which is good for them.

As its a niche product though, I expect it to be priced like one.

It's a niche product the same way a PS4 Pro is a niche product. And it's a year later.

vg260

Again, seems a really awesome piece of hardware, it really does. But I feel the damage is already done, and frankly the library just isn't there. A mid generation upgrade isn't what they needed, rather a total reset of a new generation. In my opinion.

What could they have done to reset the generation and still put out a powerful enough console at a price people would be willing to pay?

valkyre

The elephant in the room is once again, just like in Ps4 Pro's case, that games are still going to be constrained by XBOX1 and PS4 hardware...

We can only imagine what a true PS4 Pro and even moreso a Scorpio exclusive game could look like...

I am a Ps4 Pro owner btw and quite probably future owner of Scorpio, and I do enjoy the benefits, but the fact remains that the true potential of these machines is not going to be fullfilled.

(Think of how the geometry of a game designed specifically for Scorpio would differ compared to one made for XBOX1/Ps4.)

Carn82

Absolutely no way that we hear nothing about the PS5 until 2021 or 2022. If they want to go with a 5-6 year console cycle we're looking at 2018-2019 launch. Meaning not out of the question we hear something this year or by E3 2018. The Pro is not selling like crazy and certainly not generating enough interest and sales to say that it can extend the PS4 life cycle by maybe more than 1 to 2 years. Sony is vague about numbers, and instead makes comments like this "“The sales of Pro are stronger than that of Slim, as we see it.” - (CFO Kenichiro Yoshida during investors call for 3rd quarter earnings ending December 31 - 2016). If it was selling well they would be waving a giant flag with the big number on it, the fact that they aren't tells us everything we need to know.

If we go with a 6-7 year life cycle instead due to the Pro, it still launches in 2020, probably revealed in 2018 or 2019.

These "mid gen refreshes" are going to be interesting in how they effect the consoles life cycle, if much at all. I'm a big fan of both MS and Sony and have always owned both consoles. Please don't take anything above as being some sort of console war crap, it's just my thoughts around the business decisions and financials of launching the next systems, etc.

This was pretty much my initial question/post, but your take on it is much better :)

Now that some of my initial excitement has worn down, I'm convinced that $399 is their base price. They'll want to be competitive against Pro more so than anything else, and I don't think they want a gulf in pricing between the One S and this. I'm thinking we'll see an Xbox One S 500Gb with MSRP of $249, and Scorpio (Xbox One X?) at $399.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
i think aa means anti aliasing but i don't know what you mean by af

isn't that what they say about ps4 pro?

AF is Anisotropic Filtering, 16x AF will give textures way higher clarity at long distances and when you're viewing them at an angle.

00ich

so, what is the verdict?
sony is doomed, all hail microsoft?

that ram sounds greats, but will be a huge different?
i see a Difference like a ps4 to a ps4 pro, amirite?

Depends on the price, but 400$ are optimistic.
Scorpio is Xbox Pro and will beat PS4 Pro.
Console generations are still a thing.
Microsoft will get a lot of good enthusiast-PR out of this machine.

The battle for market share is in the non-pro market.

geordiemp

It's not a jag they're fully customized built from ground up CPU cores with everything upgraded. Jags aren't even capable of 2.3ghz

No, they are capable of 2.4 Ghz (AMD 6410 turbo mode), your too low..

ITS A JAGUAR

With higher res textures possible, optimised games will look better on 4K sets on Scorpio for sure, but if you expect Scorpio to run 30 FPS games like Witcher 3 at 60 FPS you in for a rude awakening.

Grass will look better, better AF and textures, smoother frame rates, but much higher performance - NAH !

With jaguar and only 10 % or so bigger die size and better cooler, 4 GB more RAM, I am guessing 50 - 75 bucks more than Ps4 pro.

Kayant

It's not a jag they're fully customized built from ground up CPU cores with everything upgraded. Jags aren't even capable of 2.3ghz
Architecture wise they are still Jag just like OG PS4/Xbox were. You're overemphasising the "custom". OG PS4/Xbox were also pretty custom with what they had.

If they customised the architecture to the degree you seem to think they would have mentioned it.

Rixxan

$399 would make this very, very enticing - even with the currently limited library

I would be surprised to see this launched at anything less than $449

Lima

Thats what I was saying. Pro doesnt exactly sell alot does it? From what I understand anyway. This will be the same for MS.

Even Microsoft themselves said that they dot expect this to sell super well and their base line will still be the S.

On one hand I see this being $500. On the other hand there's no way they can price it at that...

What are we looking at as far as price goes..? Thinking I'll be there Day one, but not at $500 sadly.

Markoman

Hell no. These consoles are meant to extend the generation and not just for 3 years.

Do you believe everything a company tells you, lol? If Scorpio starts eating Sony's shit, you'll see a PS5 sooner than you might think. That's how business works. The Iphone7S doesn't extend the Iphone7 life, MS and Sony are going for this exact model: more skus on the shelves. Sony has a history of selling two skus at the same time: PS2 sold well even after 360's+PS3's release.Now they've turned this into a fast arms-race where you have to react to what the other competitor is doing. That's exactly what happened last year with all the Scorpio/Pro rumours in spring. They did not plan this 2-3 years in advance and they can pull this off any time now. Only the available tech is the limit.

Ploid 3.0

Guys, Freesync still in right?

That would be interesting. Though console devs would likely lock games to 60 or 30 on scorpio. There will be no scorpio exclusives, and it seems powerful enough to get current games to at least locked 30 at 4k. I'm sure unlocked 30-60 will happen though so yeah, freesync would be nice.

Papacheeks

Banned
Now that some of my initial excitement has worn down, I'm convinced that $399 is their base price. They'll want to be competitive against Pro more so than anything else, and I don't think they want a gulf in pricing between the One S and this. I'm thinking we'll see an Xbox One S 500Gb with MSRP of $249, and Scorpio (Xbox One X?) at $399.

Nope. No way it's 399$ unless they really take a huge hit on it margin wise. Which at this point I Don't think the division can since they are being looked at under a microscope by the parent divisions.

Ehker

Well, backwards compatibility and 4K Blu-Ray are 2 features that Xbox offers and PS4 got slated for not offering. If they announce another PS4 upgrade that includes those things, people will go for it.

PS4/Pro are selling without. The PS5 if it supports discs will likely be 4k blu-ray for game sizes, but not that people are demanding it.

That's why saying the best thing Sony can do is release something to play 4k blu-rays is odd.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ram, 4k blue ray, 1tb drive and the R&D costs. Im not seeing 399 for this, thats just wishful thinking. Its not going to be mainstream initially - thats why they handed over the spec reveal to DF

So, just the RAM then? The rest of these are not huge drivers of price, the Pro comes with a 1TB drive and the 230$ XB1 S comes with a blu-ray drive. That's really not enough to come close to a 499$ entry price.

Detective

That would be interesting. Though console devs would likely lock games to 60 or 30 on scorpio. There will be no scorpio exclusives, and it seems powerful enough to get current games to at least locked 30 at 4k. I'm sure unlocked 30-60 will happen though so yeah, freesync would be nice.

Yeah, Dark did say it has Freesync support, kinda needs him to confirm it again:/

phant0m

Seems like a beefed version of the Pro, as I suspected. Definitely a good buy if you are on OG X1 hardware.

No way this is a penny less than $499 though.

Do you believe everything a company tells you, lol? If Scorpio starts eating Sony's shit, you'll see a PS5 sooner than you might think.

It won't though. I'm sure they'll see success, but the generation is gone. You're not gonna get people in the PS ecosystem (+ all their friends) to switch over to Scorpio. Just like I don't think that PS4Pro got people to dump Xbox and switch to PS, despite being much more powerful than X1/S.

Ram, 4k blue ray, 1tb drive and the R&D costs. Im not seeing 399 for this, thats just wishful thinking.

Agreed, Phil Spencer has likened it to the elite controller. As far as i know everyone looks at that and likes it, but balks a bit at the cost.

Reading the articles MS have spent an absolute TON of money on r and d for this thing.

Expect the price to start high, but drop quicker than the pro.

I'll be buying 1 day 1 hopefully!

This is gonna launch at $499. MS themselves have stated they expect Scorpio to be a high end consumer focused machine and that the regular Xbox One S will be their main seller. They aren't going to want to take a loss on the hardware and know that the enthusiasts will purchase at that price. Probably a year after launch they can bring that price down a bit.

I mean, in the Digital Foundry articles, they say "it ain't going to be cheap" and guess that it will be $499. So, they have seen it, and they think it is going to be around that price, so that is probably why some think the price isn't going to be $399.

scoobs

Please explain how a ~£500 Xbox is remotely viable.
It's viable if they sell it at cost (ie dont lose money) and enough hardcore gamers love it to spread the good word and gain some market share back for the Xbox brand.

They are trying to get the hardcore back on their system, which is the main reason ps4 took off like it did. Early adopters are hugely important.

Jon

Very impressive specs, but I am still not sure of the market for this console. If the price can stay down I think it has a shot, but it seems that Microsoft is cornering themselves in a spot between "I want cutting edge, but I don't want a PC"...not sure it will bring enough to the table to steal away from the established PS4 Pro ecosystem.

What made the Xbox360 so great (and there were many reasons), but one that stands out to me was the leap of going from SD gaming to HD gaming. But part of that transition was that TV was also going from SD to HD. Currently, there are no networks broadcasting in 4K, so there isn't quite the drive for people to buy 4K sets if they already have a nice 1080p television. I think once that change happens, the Xbox could get a boost.

All in all though, very impressive. They are going for it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
No, they are capable of 2.4 Ghz (AMD 6410 turbo mode).

ITS A JAGUAR

Yes.

2,3Ghz / 1.75Ghz ~= 31%.

The claimed performance gain is a direct result of the higher clock speeds.

It's a vanilla Jaguar. The "custom" apparently refers to anything but the actual CPU. They obviously followed the pre-reveal hype around the CPU and tailored their messaging accordingly.

Zeta Oni

I'm curious, did the Scorpio system Forza 6 was tested on have access to the full Scorpio potential or will we see even higher performance capabilities with the release of the rumored updated SDK coming in the summer?

Top Bottom